ADVERTISEMENT

Top WPIAL Recruits 2025

Oct 25, 2021
Brady O'Hara, North Catholic... Penn State

Dayshaun Burnett, Imani Christian... Penn State (crystal ball)

Alex Tatsch, Latrobe... Penn State

Tiqwai Hayes, Aliquippa... Penn State

Xxavier Thomas, Central Catholic... Penn State

I mean, come on. This can't just keep happening. Penn State isn't a tier one school, so this is not like Cincinnati recruiting against Ohio State, Georgia Tech against Georgia, Michigan State against Michigan, etc.

Is this because Narduzzi is an alienating idiot? Because we're seeing the tumultuous future of the ACC be used against us, while Penn State's path to making the playoff should be easier? NIL? We've never been so consistently shut out when it comes to recruiting top WPIAL guys.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

I mean, come on. This can't just keep happening. Penn State isn't a tier one school, so this is not like Cincinnati recruiting against Ohio State, Georgia Tech against Georgia, Michigan State against Michigan, etc.

Is this because Narduzzi is an alienating idiot? Because we're seeing the tumultuous future of the ACC be used against us, while Penn State's path to making the playoff should be easier? NIL? We've never been so consistently shut out when it comes to recruiting top WPIAL guys.

As I have said, Narduzzi will never beat Franklin again for a WPIAL player with a commitable offer. Narduzzi has entirely conceded the WPIAL. Our local recruiting is probably as bad as its ever been. And everyone will say the WPIAL sucks anyway but unless you luck into a QB like Pickett, you arent going to do any better than 8-4 if you cant get the 4 star locals because you aren't getting enough 4 stars from Florida or other places.

As I have said, Narduzzi will never beat Franklin again for a WPIAL player with a commitable offer. Narduzzi has entirely conceded the WPIAL. Our local recruiting is probably as bad as its ever been. And everyone will say the WPIAL sucks anyway but unless you luck into a QB like Pickett, you arent going to do any better than 8-4 if you cant get the 4 star locals because you aren't getting enough 4 stars from Florida or other places.

Narduzzi is a pretty good coach, but it might be time for a change just for that shiny new toy recruiting bump. Only so much you can do with limited talent.

That's not an option or anything; I'm speaking as if we didn't give him a contract that was way too long.

You know......maybe it is time to understand football's highest achievement was 2021. And that took 40 years.......and we got absolutely zero of a bounce from it.

Maybe, and I know some of you will hate this, but maybe we realize we are "Hoop School" and focus on trying to regain a sustainable top 20 BB program.

All of these guys have a barely 4* ranking according to 247. One is a 3*.

Yes, the inability to land them absolutely speaks to a recruiting problem. Probably some combination of Narduzzi’s and where the school itself is at in the 2024 college football landscape.

But these guys aren’t really talents that move the needle much either.

Last edited:
Reactions: singregardless
You know......maybe it is time to understand football's highest achievement was 2021. And that took 40 years.......and we got absolutely zero of a bounce from it.

Maybe, and I know some of you will hate this, but maybe we realize we are "Hoop School" and focus on trying to regain a sustainable top 20 BB program.
if we are a hoops school, we arent doing a very good job of it..

Our most successful season was 15 years ago where we topped off at Elite 8. not exactly a blue blood resume..

if we are a hoops school, we arent doing a very good job of it..

Our most successful season was 15 years ago where we topped off at Elite 8. not exactly a blue blood resume..
We were top 10 for like 70% of the polls over a period of 5 years, one of the 2-3 most winningest programs for that decade. If that is not "doing a very good job of it" I am not sure what your high standards are? So we came up a layup short of a Final 4. That is enough to sully the entire decade for you?

Reactions: Ski11585
WPIAL vs Pitt’s recruiting territories of Florida and Eastern Pa. Who has the better talent? Since some of you are the recruiting experts ( among other things such as coaching tacticians,etc ),could you please list say the last 5 years the great college careers WPIAL kids have had vs maybe just Eastern Pa kids. Thankss

We were top 10 for like 70% of the polls over a period of 5 years, one of the 2-3 most winningest programs for that decade. If that is not "doing a very good job of it" I am not sure what your high standards are? So we came up a layup short of a Final 4. That is enough to sully the entire decade for you?
again, one elite 8 and a few sweet 16s is our "glory Days" window. not one person that isnt a die hard pitt fan considers or has ever considered pitt a "hoops school."

yes, at this point with what capel is doing to our program, i'd sign up for that any day. but lets not act like we are on the national college basketball radar or have ever been..

Pitt recruits mainly from Eastern Pa and Florida. Why? Because they play better football than the WPIAL. Could some of you recruiting and coaching experts list,say the last 5 years,the names of western vs eastern pa kids who have had great college careers? Thanks

Reactions: Amigo3
again, one elite 8 and a few sweet 16s is our "glory Days" window. not one person that isnt a die hard pitt fan considers or has ever considered pitt a "hoops school."

yes, at this point with what capel is doing to our program, i'd sign up for that any day. but lets not act like we are on the national college basketball radar or have ever been..
So you spooge yourself over a Continental Tire Bowl...over a Sweet 16. Nice. Again, there was a long period, 2002-2011 were Pitt was ranked in the top 25 about 90% of the time, and much of that in the top 10, and even top 5. Football? Not so much. Point here, BB is sustainable.

Pitt recruits mainly from Eastern Pa and Florida. Why? Because they play better football than the WPIAL. Could some of you recruiting and coaching experts list,say the last 5 years,the names of western vs eastern pa kids who have had great college careers? Thanks
Sorry this was duplicated,but I would like an answer.

Wrong! It’s every bit like the examples you provided.

Uh, no. Penn State is not a top 5 program like those schools are. There is a big dropoff between Gerogia, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. and that next tier down.

If you think I'm wrong, you should take a look at all the high 4-stars we have landed that Penn State has wanted. We've never gotten them all, but we've never been shut out to the extent that we are getting shut out now. Michigan wasn't a great example, because they've only been back on top recently, but show me who Cincinnati got that OSU absolutely wanted recently. Pitt has gotten players PSU wanted all the way through 2021. You're way off.

We're a hoops school? Lmao. Making the tournament once in 8 years is all it takes? Football has been way more successful in the last ten years. Tell me we're a neither school, but my gosh - please don't tell me we're a hoops school.

Reactions: Parkview57

Wanny is rolling over in his grave. Wait......

The recruiting struggles aren't about Narduzzi's personality or behavior. They're about his on-field product.

So you spooge yourself over a Continental Tire Bowl...over a Sweet 16. Nice. Again, there was a long period, 2002-2011 were Pitt was ranked in the top 25 about 90% of the time, and much of that in the top 10, and even top 5. Football? Not so much. Point here, BB is sustainable.
lol, no spooging was going on during the continental tire bowl.

i dont consider us a football school either. it's not one or the other here..

As long as we were one of the most winningest....

Undoubtedly. But it's unequivocally our clearest path to top talent. No way we sniff Boyd, Whitehead, Baldwin, Johnson, etc. if they're not from the area.
the only reason boyd and johnson didnt go to psu was the sandusky thing.. both were headed there if they didnt get the restrictions.

Uh, no. Penn State is not a top 5 program like those schools are. There is a big dropoff between Gerogia, Ohio State, Alabama, etc. and that next tier down.

If you think I'm wrong, you should take a look at all the high 4-stars we have landed that Penn State has wanted. We've never gotten them all, but we've never been shut out to the extent that we are getting shut out now. Michigan wasn't a great example, because they've only been back on top recently, but show me who Cincinnati got that OSU absolutely wanted recently. Pitt has gotten players PSU wanted all the way through 2021. You're way off.

Things are changing. Who has Pitt landed that Penn state wanted in the past 4 cycles? Pitt is becoming Cincinnati

You do your own homework assignment I am not doing it but you are not making as strong of a point as you think you are. Go look at every program in the county including Ohio St and Bama and you will notice outside of Notre Dame, around 50% of the players are local to that school. If you think Pitt will get enough EPA and Florida/Georgia kids to be competitive without also getting local kids, then I do not know what to tell you.

2021 is in the distant mirror, and 1 player a year that PSU wanted and we get doesn't make it an even battle.

Things are changing. Who has Pitt landed that Penn state wanted in the past 4 cycles? Pitt is becoming Cincinnati

Yeah, that's my point. But I'm saying it wasn't always like this. Damar Hamlin, Paris Ford, Dayon Hayes, Nahki Johnson, Elliot Donald, Kazeon Pugh, Blake Zubovic, Dorien Ford, etc. And that's only including Narduzzi Era guys. Things are changing. And it ain't good.

Yes we do-can you answer my question?

You're looking for, what - recent western PA guys who have had good college careers? Okay... I'll limit it to guys who have played in college since Narduzzi has been here.

Dorian Johnson
James Conner (they were in the WPIAL at one time)
Adam Bisnowaty
Kevin Givens
Dorian Hardy
John Petrishen
Kenny Robinson
Miles Sanders
Damar Hamlin
Jordan Whitehead
Tyler Boyd
Skye Moore
Troy Apke
Malik Hooker
Jesse James
Khaleke Hudson
Dane Jackson
Zane Zandier
Kurt Hinish
Zuriah Fisher?
Rob Hainsey
Michael Katic
Donovan McMillon
Dayon Hayes

And I'm sure there are plenty more I'm forgetting. There are also probably some who would have had better careers had they came to Pitt. Donovan Jeter, for instance. Josh Lugg. Michael Carmody.

So what's your point? Yeah, there are busts in the WPIAL as there are everywhere. And no one is saying Eastern PA doesn't produce better recruits. But newsflash: We're not getting the cream of the crop from Eastern PA either.

We are not going to beat out the Nits off of a 3-9 season. Fact. Go back to winning and we will land some WPIAL kids.

We are not going to beat out the Nits off of a 3-9 season. Fact. Go back to winning and we will land some WPIAL kids.

Well, the problem is we weren't getting the top guys coming off 11-3 and 9-4 either. I mean, we were losing guys to Kentucky and West Virginia for Pete's sake.

win first and then we'll get good recruits? But we cant win unless we get good recruits first.

Kind of a catch 22.

Narduzzi is a pretty good coach, but it might be time for a change just for that shiny new toy recruiting bump. Only so much you can do with limited talent.

That's not an option or anything; I'm speaking as if we didn't give him a contract that was way too long.

Duzz is in retirement mode. He hates college football.

I don't blame him. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't leave after this year. I think many more coaches from that era (my era) are contemplating this.

I think he'd love to but he's making too much money. We are stuck with a dinosaur HC who hates his job coaching until the buyout is feasible

Duzz is in retirement mode. He hates college football.

Probably true for a lot of coaches around his age. I won't say this NIL stuff is making them completely obsolete, but it's getting close to that. Like I said, Narduzzi is a good coach. But last season proves he can only do so much if the talent isn't there. So if the little high-end talent you do identify and develop is just going to be Ted DiBiase'ed away from you, what's the point?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT