ADVERTISEMENT

Top WPIAL Recruits 2025

From what?

It’s a funny nickname given to you by a half wit poster who thought you scored, when you actually missed by a mile.

Would you prefer we call you The Defender?
You can call me anything you want. I couldn't care less. Actually, I look at it as a win, because it signifies that the poster has no argument - just name-calling.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Again, it won't make Pitt a national contender (save for once in a blue moon); it will simply make them better. And landing local players who Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. have wanted is not some novel concept; it is something we have done for literal decades. It's just that we have gotten exceptionally bad at it as of late.

What is difficult to understand about this? Unfurrow your brow and step out of your contrarian, fact-contorting rage for just one second and repeat after me:

"Oh, I get it now. Sorry for being a dumbass."

And then it's no big deal.
Have we really done it better for decades? Maybe you could show proof of that. Or maybe you're the dumbass.

So you want at least 40 WPIAL players on Pitt's roster? And you think that will compete for championships?

LOL

Your point is generally, but not always, legitimate because most of those power teams have a local wealth of talent from which to draw. That's why they are power teams. Pitt doesn't have that luxury.

Oklahoma, Michigan, and Washington, among others, don't have many local players.
Do you always talk out your butt?

From the 2023 roster:
Oklahoma had 29 players from Oklahoma
Michigan had 34 Players from Michigan
Washington has 42 players from Washington.

While the WPIAL and PA may not be what it used to be, it is still better than those 3 states. Where Oklahoma shines is that Texas is local to them. Michigan, Ohio is local to them. Washington is just in a void but California kids are willing to travel. Pitt gets shut out locally/ state wide, and we don't benefit from Ohio like Michigan does.

So tell me again that local recruiting doesn't matter!

From the 2023 roster:

While the WPIAL and PA may not be what it used to be, it is still better than those 3 states. Where Oklahoma shines is that Texas is local to them. Michigan, Ohio is local to them. Washington is just in a void but California kids are willing to travel. Pitt gets shut out locally/ state wide, and we don't benefit from Ohio like Michigan does.

I don't know what methodology you used for counting, but I don't think you'll find anything different with Pitt and kids on the roster from PA.

I'd rather have the better recruits than lose them. Simply for the fact that they're likely easier to keep, being local, if they become good players.

However, it's hard to deny there isn't a double standard with Pitt and other schools recruiting the area. Pitt is expectee to offer their marginal players too, or people get pissed.

I've been an advocate of trying to get Kasper back in some capacity. Once his son is done playing at Mars, they should try to get him on staff. He's a good football coach and could help locally.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I don't know what methodology you used for counting, but I don't think you'll find anything different with Pitt and kids on the roster from PA.

I'd rather have the better recruits than lose them. Simply for the fact that they're likely easier to keep, being local, if they become good players.

However, it's hard to deny there isn't a double standard with Pitt and other schools recruiting the area. Pitt is expectee to offer their marginal players too, or people get pissed.

I've been an advocate of trying to get Kasper back in some capacity. Once his son is done playing at Mars, they should try to get him on staff in some capacity. He's a good football coach and could help locally.
I just went to the 2023 Roster and counted players from the state they listed they were from. I am not saying Pitt is different. I'm calling out the stupidity of the jagoff who thinks these schools are not mostly instate guys. He listed 3 schools and another fellow added Oregon and I just simply proved them wrong.

I also listed talent rich neighboring states that help those top schools. Pitt's biggest problem is we are not the state school. We are a regional school that is heavily populated with fans of the state school and a Catholic institution. Then there is a fair amount of fans of 3 other schools. So Pitt does not do well recruiting regionally because of that.

What really makes matters worst for Pitt is that 50 miles west , despite there being tons of talent, there is an invisible line, where everything turns red. When you cross that invisible line, top recruits who should be Pitt fans from a local perspective, as most big time programs are the top choice for hundreds of miles,in this scenario are anything but Pitt fans. They are loyal to their state school. The ones who aren't enamored by the state school, still choose to play in the conference of the state school or the same catholic school previously mentioned.

That leaves Pitt more times than not, getting the leftovers from in state and neighboring state.

The fact of the matter is Pitt will get the occasional top 4 or 5*. But more than likely they need to find and develop the next Revis and Aaron Donald's of the world. 3 star kids that outperform their HS ranking.

Last edited:

I've been an advocate of trying to get Kasper back in some capacity. Once his son is done playing at Mars, they should try to get him on staff in some capacity. He's a good football coach and could help locally.
BTW I agree Pitt is expected to offer the marginal local player, but that is the case with many schools. I also agree about needing to get Kasper on staff. Wish we got Palko, but so is life.

BTW I agree Pitt is expected to offer the marginal local player, but that is the case with many schools. I also agree about needing to get Kasper on staff. Wish we got Palko, but so is life.

Kasperowicz will be on Franklin's staff soon enough. He is obsessed.

I just repeated what you said and asked for proof of your claim.

Its telling that you can't answer it except with an insult.

No, you not-so-slyly changed what I said... like you always do. I said we have recruited players those schools wanted for decades. Literally everyone on this board knows that, except you.

Brady O'Hara, North Catholic... Penn State

Dayshaun Burnett, Imani Christian... Penn State (crystal ball)

Alex Tatsch, Latrobe... Penn State

Tiqwai Hayes, Aliquippa... Penn State

Xxavier Thomas, Central Catholic... Penn State

I mean, come on. This can't just keep happening. Penn State isn't a tier one school, so this is not like Cincinnati recruiting against Ohio State, Georgia Tech against Georgia, Michigan State against Michigan, etc.

Is this because Narduzzi is an alienating idiot? Because we're seeing the tumultuous future of the ACC be used against us, while Penn State's path to making the playoff should be easier? NIL? We've never been so consistently shut out when it comes to recruiting top WPIAL guys.

Not sure what the point is

First, we were 3-9. Secondly, PSU historically is about 50-50 with us in the WPIAL, which you would expect, there are years they are nearly shut out, and we get the Donald, Ford, Johnsons, and ND or OSU get the others. There are years we get shut out. Recruiting is not about recruiting at all anymore, it is all NIL deals. It doesnt matter who is coaching Pitt. Saban can come here, and if he has no NIL deals, he wont get the recruits.

Frankly, anyone thinking it is anything other than NIL at this point is not very bright (not saying you, you mentioned it).
Here would be the senior years for last year class. Hard to argue Pitt would be any better if ALL of these went to Pitt.

1. Phil Jurkovec – QB – Pine Richland
  2. Kwantel Raines – S – Aliquippa
  3. Jake Kradel – OT – Butler
  4. Devin Danielson – DT – Thomas Jefferson
  5. TJ Banks – TE – East Allegheny
  6. Kenny White – CB – West Allegheny
  7. Malik Shepherd – ATH – Beaver Falls
  8. Brandon Lipford -WR – West Allegheny
  9. Raymond Falcone – WR – Pine Richland
  10. Blake Zubovic – OT – Belle Vernon
  11. Marcus Hooker – S – New Castle
  12. Julian Major – WR – Penn Hills
  13. Layton Jordan – ATH – McKeesport
  14. Isiah Schoonmaker – OLB – Wash High
  15. Bryce Lauer – LB – Franklin Regional
  16. David Green – DE – Central Catholic
  17. James Gmiter – DT – Bethel Park
  18. Troy Fisher – QB – Central Catholic
  19. Ronnie Stevenson – WR – Montour
  20. Amonte Strothers – CB – Steel Valley

20. Todd Hill - LB- Steel Valley
19. Terry Smith- RB - Penn Hills
18. Jeremiah Josephs - WR - Gateway
17. Colin McClindon - OT - USC
16. Parrish Parker - CB - West Mifflin
15. Jake Stebbins - LB - Seneca Valley
14. Tyler King - LB - PR
13. Will Gipson - CB - Aliquippa
12. Dante Cephas - WR - Penn Hills
11. Saniel Walker - S - Washington
10- Rahmon Hart -WR - Imani
9. Dre Howell - WR - Baldwin
8. Elijah Boyd - OT - NA
7. Joey Porter - cb -NA
6. Brian Dallas - DE - CC
5. Sol Moreland - DT - Aliquippa
4. Courtney Jackson - WR - Gateway
3. Javon Thrift - S - Norwin
2. Marlin Devonshire - CB - Aliquippa
1. Andrew Kristofic - OT - PR

How about these guys? in 2020 I could go on, Hayes was #1 we got him, looking through the top 10 I dont think pus got any of them. Plus hardly any names I recognize

I think we should spend the money we have more wisely in NIL, and not reach for WPIAL players just because they are close.

Reactions: singregardless
Really? The WPIAL 4* players in the post I replied to won't play at PSU?

I dont know, didnt read it but with the portal now, a lot of these players arent going to play much. Take 5 star Quinton Martin for example. He doesnt have a position so the staff is going to try to make him a RB. Well, PSU already has one of those. So Martin is going to play very little this season. He is probably ok with that and is making good money but some kids do like to play.

Done it better for decades? Dude, you can't be real. You're AI created by some Penn State students to mess with us.
Here is the part of your post to which I replied:

"And landing local players who Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. have wanted is not some novel concept; it is something we have done for literal decades."

So what part of my question don't you understand?

From the 2023 roster:

The conversation was about the WPIAL, not PA. A conversation about entire states is an entirely different topic. Actually, a state conversation is irrelevant given that Pitt is closer to Ohio than it is to Philly. States are a completely arbitrary geography in many cases. Regardless, they aren't the point of this discussion.

2021 is in the distant mirror, and 1 player a year that PSU wanted and we get doesn't make it an even battle.
What about 2022? They won 9 games. Oh less forget about that. You all are a bunch of clowns. Nard knows he made a huge mistake. All posters have been saying for years is why dont Nard go get a young up and coming OC? He realized his mistake and does exactly what everyone was clamoring for, and the comments are, he went cheap, why didnt he go for someone with experience.

I mean you cant make this stuff up. The man has had the best 2 years in a row at Pitt in like 30 years, has an awful year because he was stubborn, wakes up and gets with the program, and the masses blasts him for that.

Reactions: NCPitt
I just went to the 2023 Roster and counted players from the state they listed they were from. I am not saying Pitt is different. I'm calling out the stupidity of the jagoff who thinks these schools are not mostly instate guys. He listed 3 schools and another fellow added Oregon and I just simply proved them wrong.

I also listed talent rich neighboring states that help those top schools. Pitt's biggest problem is we are not the state school. We are a regional school that is heavily populated with fans of the state school and a Catholic institution. Then there is a fair amount of fans of 3 other schools. So Pitt does not do well recruiting regionally because of that.

What really makes matters worst for Pitt is that 50 miles west , despite there being tons of talent, there is an invisible line, where everything turns red. When you cross that invisible line, top recruits who should be Pitt fans from a local perspective, as most big time programs are the top choice for hundreds of miles,in this scenario are anything but Pitt fans. They are loyal to their state school. The ones who aren't enamored by the state school, still choose to play in the conference of the state school or the same catholic school previously mentioned.

That leaves Pitt more times than not, getting the leftovers from in state and neighboring state.

The fact of the matter is Pitt will get the occasional top 4 or 5*. But more than likely they need to find and develop the next Revis and Aaron Donald's of the world. 3 star kids that outperform their HS ranking.
I never said anything about "instate". Read the thread title and you'll better understand why you're wrong.

I dont know, didnt read it but with the portal now, a lot of these players arent going to play much. Take 5 star Quinton Martin for example. He doesnt have a position so the staff is going to try to make him a RB. Well, PSU already has one of those. So Martin is going to play very little this season. He is probably ok with that and is making good money but some kids do like to play.
"I don't know."

That answers my question.

The answer is you're missing the greater point, which has nothing to do with how the player pans out at the college level. The greater point it, Pitt is recruiting these WPIAL kids just as hard as PSU, but they're overwhelmingly choosing PSU. That's not good. Not just losing on our own turf, but getting crushed on it, for 9 years now. That can't happen. And if Duzz and staff are actually conceding their back yard to PSU, which I don't buy, that's even worse.
Serious question. Are not Pitt and PSU also recruiting players from other places to? Did it ever occur to any of you that the WPIAL players just want to leave? And since you all act like you are to young to remember the goods days, Pitt didnt do well in the WPIAL then neither. They got about the same amount of players the get now. The majority of the PA players was from different parts of PA.

Reactions: NCPitt
Here is the part of your post to which I replied:

"And landing local players who Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc. have wanted is not some novel concept; it is something we have done for literal decades."

So what part of my question don't you understand?

You want me to name some local players we've landed who Penn State/other big schools wanted?

Elliot Donald
Nahki Johnson
Russell Shell
Luca Nix
Dorin Dickerson
Damar Hamlin
Paris Ford
Dayon Hayes
Tyler Boyd
Adam Bisnowaty
Dorian Johnson
Alex Bookser
Jonathan Baldwin
Shayne Hale
Jordan Whitehead
Aaron Mathews
Lafeyette Pitts
Elijah Fields
Cam Saddler
Seaysean Rippy
Todd Thomas
Dan Mason
JP Holtz
John Malecki
Jason Pinkston
Juan Price (he never enrolled at OSU, I don't believe)
Kazeon Pugh

Like, is that enough or do we still have to play this game? I'm sure we can do 1970 - 2000 next and make that list at least ten times as long.

Not sure what the point is

PSU historically is about 50-50 with us in the WPIAL

That's the point. It isn't the case anymore. In the last eight recruiting cycles, we have gotten like 5 local guys they wanted. And 3 of them were in the 2021 class. How many have them, Michigan, Notre Dame... and, hell, Kentucky and West Virginia gotten that we wanted? Didn't used to be like this.

You want me to name some local players we've landed who Penn State/other big schools wanted?

Elliot Donald
Nahki Johnson
Russell Shell
Luca Nix
Dorin Dickerson
Damar Hamlin
Paris Ford
Dayon Hayes
Tyler Boyd
Adam Bisnowaty
Dorian Johnson
Alex Bookser
Jonathan Baldwin
Shayne Hale
Jordan Whitehead
Aaron Mathews
Lafeyette Pitts
Elijah Fields
Cam Saddler
Seaysean Rippy
Todd Thomas
Dan Mason
JP Holtz
John Malecki
Jason Pinkston
Juan Price (he never enrolled at OSU, I don't believe)
Kazeon Pugh

Like, is that enough or do we still have to play this game? I'm sure we can do 1970 - 2000 next and make that list at least ten times as long.
LOL. I never said that we never got any. In fact, I've pointed out that we win battles with power schools regularly, even providing 3 names from the '24 class. Your argument seemed to be that we have been more successful in the past. You still haven't proven that.

The conversation was about the WPIAL, not PA. A conversation about entire states is an entirely different topic. Actually, a state conversation is irrelevant given that Pitt is closer to Ohio than it is to Philly. States are a completely arbitrary geography in many cases. Regardless, they aren't the point of this discussion.
I never said anything about "instate". Read the thread title and you'll better understand why you're wrong.
1st I cannot comment about what is truly local to another school as I do not know the geography of other states enough. So I had to use the state. With that said you are clearly missing the point of who Pitt is. I explained it. Pitt is NOT the state school of Pennsylvania that all the kids in the state want to go to. Penn St is the college that fits that bill in this state. Then there is Notre Dame which has a sizable fan base in PA in general and WPA in particular. 50 miles west of campus Pitt is an afterthought as that area is Ohio St and Big 10 country. Other Urban schools don't even face that challenge (unless you count Cincinnati and I do not they have no business being in a P4 league). Miami doesn't even face that challenge living in the same state as SEC. The number of kids who grow up being Pitt fans is very small, maybe even the smallest number in all of the power conferences. That is Pitt's reality.

Let's face reality, outside of Majors, Sherill, Gottfried, and Wanny, no other coach was a great recruiter. The odds of bringing in 4 and 5 stars from other states is going to be very low. You will be bringing in 3 stars and hoping they develop like Revis and Donald did. Most of the 4 and 5 stars will more than likely be from WPA with small chance of the rest of PA or NEO. The only 4 star player that came here from outside that area from a coach other than the 4 already mentioned that lived up to the 4 star ranking is Fitz and that was 20 years ago. All other 4 star players from outside the local area maxed out at solid ( Prince B, Chad Voytek, Battle) to bust ( Vernon pig Smith). I do not like those odds.

1st I cannot comment about what is truly local to another school as I do not know the geography of other states enough. So I had to use the state. With that said you are clearly missing the point of who Pitt is. I explained it. Pitt is NOT the state school of Pennsylvania that all the kids in the state want to go to. Penn St is the college that fits that bill in this state. Then there is Notre Dame which has a sizable fan base in PA in general and WPA in particular. 50 miles west of campus Pitt is an afterthought as that area is Ohio St and Big 10 country. Other Urban schools don't even face that challenge (unless you count Cincinnati and I do not they have no business being in a P4 league). Miami doesn't even face that challenge living in the same state as SEC. The number of kids who grow up being Pitt fans is very small, maybe even the smallest number in all of the power conferences. That is Pitt's reality.

Let's face reality, outside of Majors, Sherill, Gottfried, and Wanny, no other coach was a great recruiter. The odds of bringing in 4 and 5 stars from other states is going to be very low. You will be bringing in 3 stars and hoping they develop like Revis and Donald did. Most of the 4 and 5 stars will more than likely be from WPA with small chance of the rest of PA or NEO. The only 4 star player that came here from outside that area from a coach other than the 4 already mentioned that lived up to the 4 star ranking is Fitz and that was 20 years ago. All other 4 star players from outside the local area maxed out at solid ( Prince B, Chad Voytek, Battle) to bust ( Vernon pig Smith). I do not like those odds.
Lets really face reality. The odds of bringing 4/5 star players here from anywhere are slim. Most of the local 4 star players never did much either.

Reactions: cbpitt2
That's the point. It isn't the case anymore. In the last eight recruiting cycles, we have gotten like 5 local guys they wanted. And 3 of them were in the 2021 class. How many have them, Michigan, Notre Dame... and, hell, Kentucky and West Virginia gotten that we wanted? Didn't used to be like this.
Yes. I don't count us "winning" WPIAL battles against PSU with guys like Jake Kradel or Ty Yuhas or Gabe Huoy. Nothing personal against those guys.

Is it more embarrassing to lose players to PSU or welcome them with open arms when they fall on their faces and want to use Pitt as a backup plan?

Outside of Petrishen, we haven’t had any LOCAL players transferring from PSU to Pitt. It will be interesting to see if that happens in the future and if Narduzzi will take them.

Is it more embarrassing to lose players to PSU or welcome them with open arms when they fall on their faces and want to use Pitt as a backup plan?

Outside of Petrishen, we haven’t had any LOCAL players transferring from PSU to Pitt. It will be interesting to see if that happens in the future and if Narduzzi will take them.
If they improve your team and are eligible/no major issues, you take them. If they do not improve your team or there are red flags, you move on. Any stance other than this is unacceptable especially today with all the transfers.

He has to take them, and if necessary he just needs to swallow his pride. He didn't mind taking a chance on Jurkovec, who spurned him twice.

Reactions: pittmeister
He has to take them, and if necessary he just needs to swallow his pride. He didn't mind taking a chance on Jurkovec, who spurned him twice.
He doesn't have to do any such thing. Pride is a bigger issue for some people on this board than it seems to be for Narduzzi on this issue.

He doesn't have to do any such thing. Pride is a bigger issue for some people on this board than it seems to be for Narduzzi on this issue.
How do you know? You don't know that. Why make statements for someone without knowing exactly what they think?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT