ADVERTISEMENT

Clarion Open

Michaels tough on top with a pin and nice ride in the second. Awesome to see the depth coming together. When your backups are beating starting level MAC wrestlers it’s a great sign
Awesome win and ride. The low leg finisher was a specialty of one of his high school coaches. Brought back memories

Another pin, this one for Badgett! He caught him out of a scramble with better hips. Nicely done

Reactions: _DBHoops
Nice win for Curry over Noto. Kind of a sucky match though. Neither guy attacked with any conviction until Curry in OT. Very Phillippi kind of win.

Wow, hell of a third period for Mancini. He doesnt seem to have a plan on his feet, but he does damage on top. That tilt was awesome

Mancini had to settle for four there but I love that we are finding pins late in third periods in TIGHT matches.

Reactions: persp
What a match. I feel much better about Pitt's 174 situation now

Lledo on to the finals! The guy wouldnt let James anywhere near him. He did real well to manage that win there

Reactions: _DBHoops
Man, Badgett's hips are so good on top. He gets a little careless going for that guillotine though

Am I seeing this right? Do you have to reach semis to take third in this tournament? So if you lose before, the best you can do is 5th?
Guess nobody answered this, yeah seems like semifinalists are locked into 1st-4th. Not ideal, but for tournaments that don't mean squat, keeps things more simple.

Reactions: jctrack and persp
Another solid win for Mancini. I still dont know what his plan is on his feet, but he does enough to score points and ride his guy out.

Camacho with pin off the double underhook! Same guy that beat Steen in the firat round

Reactions: Ryno53
Camacho goes upper body for the first period fall! He'll have someone good in the 5th place match.

Hunter Kernan, can’t place at WPIALs but ends up winning Clarion open. Talk about development fantastic effort
He is clearly an athlete. Getting better and better as wrestler too. Just needs to keep building confidence.

Strong tournament out of Slinger, too. Finished on a high note pinning Nathan Taylor, Lehigh's heir apparent to Jordan Wood. He didn't get totally pantsed by Feldman the way I figured he would after how badly Feldman beat the 1 seed. Wish Feldman woulda quit one round earlier!

Reactions: Ryno53
Camacho did not wrestle for 5th place because his opponent had already wrestled the maximum six matches.

Overall thoughts by weight class, today I was left with more questions than answers (not nessicarily a bad thing)

125- probably more confused on who should be the starter than before the tournament. Camacho dominates wrestle off but Curry out places and beat Noto who Colton lost to. Will say positive thinking is Camacho is better than last year and Curry is also an upgrade from last year Camacho

133- no one there so just pray Micky stays healthy

141- Michael’s tough on top beat some D1 starting caliber guys, not ACC level yet but kid is scrappy

149- Kemerer got knocked out cold which was not a good sight thoughts and prayers for him I hope he is okay. Mancini really did well on the backside of bracket. Beating Boyd from WVU is a nice win good barometer

157- Exactly what Badgett needed finally showing off some of his skills. Taking a back seat this season will be very beneficial, the team is in good hands with Cleary who didn’t wrestle this weekend

165- nothing too much to say Weatherby does battle though

174- more question marks but In a good way. Kernan wins the thing including a win over Luca in the semis. Win is a win but it was due to what like 5 seconds of riding time differential? Luca to me will be able to pull off a win or two more this season but Kernan’s performance put my mind at ease. Things will get a lot tougher during conference matches but what a tournament for him. Talk about development

184- Lledo is so much fun to watch beat a top 20 guy in Key as well. Another guy who has developed nicely. Literally becoming must watch!

197- tough day here. Finch will get better and Magin shows the ability to get to legs

HWT- more questions but once again not nessicarily bad. Slinger had a good day but I hope not to get fooled like last year. Possible addition Reid would be a great depth piece because beyond Slinger we got nothing at the moment. I still think Cooley would be the better option if healthy but what do I know

Overall thoughts by weight class, today I was left with more questions than answers (not nessicarily a bad thing)

125- probably more confused on who should be the starter than before the tournament. Camacho dominates wrestle off but Curry out places and beat Noto who Colton lost to. Will say positive thinking is Camacho is better than last year and Curry is also an upgrade from last year Camacho

133- no one there so just pray Micky stays healthy

141- Michael’s tough on top beat some D1 starting caliber guys, not ACC level yet but kid is scrappy

149- Kemerer got knocked out cold which was not a good sight thoughts and prayers for him I hope he is okay. Mancini really did well on the backside of bracket. Beating Boyd from WVU is a nice win good barometer

157- Exactly what Badgett needed finally showing off some of his skills. Taking a back seat this season will be very beneficial, the team is in good hands with Cleary who didn’t wrestle this weekend

165- nothing too much to say Weatherby does battle though

174- more question marks but In a good way. Kernan wins the thing including a win over Luca in the semis. Win is a win but it was due to what like 5 seconds of riding time differential? Luca to me will be able to pull off a win or two more this season but Kernan’s performance put my mind at ease. Things will get a lot tougher during conference matches but what a tournament for him. Talk about development

184- Lledo is so much fun to watch beat a top 20 guy in Key as well. Another guy who has developed nicely. Literally becoming must watch!

197- tough day here. Finch will get better and Magin shows the ability to get to legs

HWT- more questions but once again not nessicarily bad. Slinger had a good day but I hope not to get fooled like last year. Possible addition Reid would be a great depth piece because beyond Slinger we got nothing at the moment. I still think Cooley would be the better option if healthy but what do I know
Great stuff thank you!

Reactions: jctrack and gary2
I wish Flo would let you sign up monthly. I'm not paying $150 to watch this
Pay the 150. Best wrestling investment. There are other dual meets covered as well as international events. Just finished watching the U 23 world championships which included watching Nino. i also watched the Clarion Open which Pitt participated in.

Pay the 150. Best wrestling investment. There are other dual meets covered as well as international events. Just finished watching the U 23 world championships which included watching Nino. i also watched the Clarion Open which Pitt participated in.
Nah. I can't justify 150 on something I won't really use all that often. Most of the college duals are on ESPN3 as well so I only really need it for early season tournaments

If this is how Curry's matches are gonna be then I'm going to need to pop a xanax before the lightweights at every dual haha. He and Micky back-to-back will be a white knuckle ride to remember...

If this is how Curry's matches are gonna be then I'm going to need to pop a xanax before the lightweights at every dual haha. He and Micky back-to-back will be a white knuckle ride to remember...
As long as they are big matches. They are fine when they should win easy lol

As long as they are big matches. They are fine when they should win easy lol
I'm also certain that we will see a revolving door at 125. Camacho and Curry are close enough that they will likely wrestle off every week and I don't see one of the two winning vs the other convincingly. I may have preference for Camacho though since he seems so much more aggressive than Curry. Also has a higher ceiling, IMO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT