ADVERTISEMENT

Composite ranking

Pitt's 2018 composite team ranking is currently 35th (6th in the ACC). If they add Aundre Hyatt they will likely be in the top 25...2012 would be the last time Pitt had a top 25 class (coming in at 25).
The class with Robinson (top 60) and Adams (top 10) would have been the last time with a top 25ish group.

What Capel has done is fairly close to the Young-Artis-Newkirk group.

The fact that he's done it in a month on the job following an 0-18 ACC season is nothing less than completely extraordinary.

And to think he's likely not done yet for this year, not to mention what he might get done next year.

And this is only the beginning. It's phenomenal! Wait until the 2019 class and we see what he pulls in.

I’m not saying he can’t do better and I do believe he will , but it is possible he’s raising all our expectations to unreasonable levels .

I’m not saying he can’t do better and I do believe he will , but it is possible he’s raising all our expectations to unreasonable levels .
debbie-e1449643647370-696x391.jpg

Or, are we fans ourselves raising those expectations by over reacting and exaggerating what will be future outcomes based on very promising early recruiting results?

Personally, I am very pleased with the early recruiting. However, I don't currently see a roster, although more talented, that will be experienced enough for next season to be an overall winning season. I also don't see a return to an NCAA bid earlier than Capel's season #3 unless he lands a couple of one-and-done bigs this fall (Class of 2019).

My current expectations are, assuming Capel can coach-em-up, for--

Next season: 1-3 games under 0.500
Season #2: 1-3 games over 0.500 (perhaps NIT - NCAA bubble--or close)
Season #3: 4-6 games over 0.500 (Likely late round NCAA bid)

If he does better than 0.500 next season I will ratchet up my expectations.

Guys it's 2018 not 2019.I said not top 20 in 2019.This is the same talk I heard about Narduzzi and what he was going to do in the recruiting world when he arrived at Pitt.Let's wait and see what happens.He did get those 2019 guys to reclass to 2018 after the big boys wanted them to prep that was a good move on his part.I'M glad Capel has brought back the excitement at Pitt.It will make the brawl more exciting,if Huggy doesn't back out because of getting embarrassed!

Guys it's 2018 not 2019.I said not top 20 in 2019.This is the same talk I heard about Narduzzi and what he was going to do in the recruiting world when he arrived at Pitt.Let's wait and see what happens.He did get those 2019 guys to reclass to 2018 after the big boys wanted them to prep that was a good move on his part.I'M glad Capel has brought back the excitement at Pitt.It will make the brawl more exciting,if Huggy doesn't back out because of getting embarrassed!

It's not the same talk, though. Narduzzi is a decent recruiter, but he came to Pitt with a reputation as a strong X's and O's guy, not as an ace recruiter. Jeff Capel is the best recruiter in the country. Period. Full stop. There's a world of difference between Pat Narduzzi and Jeff Capel.

When you say that Capel won't have a top 20 class in 2019, what are you really saying? That Capel can't recruit? That Pitt is an undesirable program? The fact that Capel is already having recruiting success in 2018 is strong evidence that neither of those things are true. Sure, you can say "2019 not 2018", but that's nonsense. If someone said they expect their team to win the Super Bowl in 2019 and you mock them for it, but then their team wins in 2018, you can't say "yeah but it's 2018". You might be technically correct (or more accurately, you'd technically not be incorrect), but the spirit of your argument couldn't possibly be more wrong.

Reactions: Jpripper88
And Pizzaboy doesn’t think we will get top 20 next year?!

We might get a top 10

Exactly. Capel is probably the best recruiter in the country not names Calipari. What we seen so far, I said way back that first few weeks that the 2019 would be a top 20 class and to be honest I think it can be top 10 class.

Reactions: cabe23
The only thing that will limit/prevent Pitt in 2019 from being a top 25 class with Capel recruiting will be the number of players he brings in.

While I expect a class of at least 4 next season, he technically doesn't have 4 ships as we sit here today. So while I fully expect a few players to leave after this year to open more scholarships to allow him to bring in at least 4, if by some miracle they all stay and he only has 2 ships, then getting into the top 25 will be nearly impossible.

Reactions: Jpripper88
It's not the same talk, though. Narduzzi is a decent recruiter, but he came to Pitt with a reputation as a strong X's and O's guy, not as an ace recruiter. Jeff Capel is the best recruiter in the country. Period. Full stop. There's a world of difference between Pat Narduzzi and Jeff Capel.

When you say that Capel won't have a top 20 class in 2019, what are you really saying? That Capel can't recruit? That Pitt is an undesirable program? The fact that Capel is already having recruiting success in 2018 is strong evidence that neither of those things are true. Sure, you can say "2019 not 2018", but that's nonsense. If someone said they expect their team to win the Super Bowl in 2019 and you mock them for it, but then their team wins in 2018, you can't say "yeah but it's 2018". You might be technically correct (or more accurately, you'd technically not be incorrect), but the spirit of your argument couldn't possibly be more wrong.
You lost me when you said Narduzzi is a decent recruiter!Capel did really well this year convincing those guys to reclassify to 2018.He did it with offering instant playing time and the big time programs couldn't do this year.Right now he's the shiny new car in the lot attracting attention.I don't understand the he's the best recruiter in the country stuff.Sure he "helped" get those 5* into Duke but would they of went there if he was the HC?There are a lot of great recuiters out there. I'm wondering if can hold a program together through the thick and thins when problems rear their ugly heads!Here's a Mountaineer that hopes he has great success and beats the snot out of NC and Duke.Time will tell my friends.

The only thing that will limit/prevent Pitt in 2019 from being a top 25 class with Capel recruiting will be the number of players he brings in.

While I expect a class of at least 4 next season, he technically doesn't have 4 ships as we sit here today. So while I fully expect a few players to leave after this year to open more scholarships to allow him to bring in at least 4, if by some miracle they all stay and he only has 2 ships, then getting into the top 25 will be nearly impossible.

Agreed. I think four is a reasonable estimate though.

You lost me when you said Narduzzi is a decent recruiter!Capel did really well this year convincing those guys to reclassify to 2018.He did it with offering instant playing time and the big time programs couldn't do this year.Right now he's the shiny new car in the lot attracting attention.I don't understand the he's the best recruiter in the country stuff.Sure he "helped" get those 5* into Duke but would they of went there if he was the HC?There are a lot of great recuiters out there. I'm wondering if can hold a program together through the thick and thins when problems rear their ugly heads!Here's a Mountaineer that hopes he has great success and beats the snot out of NC and Duke.Time will tell my friends.

It's been covered ad nauseam, but Duke's recruiting enjoyed a significant uptick immediately after Capel arrived. People say that Duke recruits itself and that's true to an extent, but Duke wasn't consistently pulling in the calibre of talent that they are now prior to Capel. Jeff Capel is the reason that Kentucky stopped being the near-automatic destination for the highest calibre talent.

There's more than just instant playing time that Capel had to offer them, by the way. I really hope you don't have such a simplistic view of recruiting that you think top 100 2019 talent will reclassify on a whim just for playing time.

That isn't true, save the typical homers. Capel has recruited better in 60 days than HCPN has in his entire tenure. He is going to land a top 25 class in 2 months, while taking over the worst P5 team in the country and losing the top 3 players from last year's team. That is a borderline miracle. There is no doubt the expectation should be a top 20-25 class next year, with a clear shot to be better than that.

Reactions: Ski11585 and Chaos

I'd be shocked if we take less than 4 recruits in 2019. Even if we didn't have clear dead weight (likely 4 players who clearly aren't good enough to be here) on the roster, I'd expect at least 2 players of attrition almost yearly. Almost every program loses at least 1 player per year to transfer, injury, draft, or conduct/grades. The programs who recruit really well see even more attrition.

Reactions: below0w
I'd be shocked if we take less than 4 recruits in 2019. Even if we didn't have clear dead weight (likely 4 players who clearly aren't good enough to be here) on the roster, I'd expect at least 2 players of attrition almost yearly. Almost every program loses at least 1 player per year to transfer, injury, draft, or conduct/grades. The programs who recruit really well see even more attrition.

Yep agree completely.

It's been covered ad nauseam, but Duke's recruiting enjoyed a significant uptick immediately after Capel arrived. People say that Duke recruits itself and that's true to an extent, but Duke wasn't consistently pulling in the calibre of talent that they are now prior to Capel. Jeff Capel is the reason that Kentucky stopped being the near-automatic destination for the highest calibre talent.

There's more than just instant playing time that Capel had to offer them, by the way. I really hope you don't have such a simplistic view of recruiting that you think top 100 2019 talent will reclassify on a whim just for playing time.
So immediate playing time in the Acc didn't come into play when these guys reclassified to 2018?Duke's (Coach K's)recruiting philosophy didn't change the last several years to "lets get those one and doners" thus higher recuiting rankings.I personally didn't think Duke would go the one and done route because they are DUKE!Duke fell to the hire basketball mercenaries theory,it gets you high rankings with the 1 & doners but experience sometimes (Villanova )brings home the hardware.But what does a retired public school teacher know?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT