ADVERTISEMENT

Cowherd said its official

I wouldn't be shocked if A&M and Missouri left for the Big Ten. The SEC may already know this is a possibility but figures Texas + OU > A&M + Missouri. And honestly they might actually WANT that outcome as 16 is too many
I’m sure A&M is pissed about Texas joining the SEC. And even more pissed if the SEC was negotiating with Texas for 6 months and never told them.
But A&M isn’t stupid. They’ll stay in the SEC.

Reactions: Las Panteras
They dont add another TV market, they will not be invited.
My guess, it will be a school from the B12 minus WVU and yes Notre Dame.
Must add. Absolutely not. But if adding a school allows the ACC to open media contract negotiations with ESPN, there really aren't any other more attractive candidates that make sense geographically. TCU? Baylor? Getting into Texas to play second fiddle; I don't know if that makes sense. Media markets aren't as important as they once were. The ACC is dying to reopen their contract to negotiate the terms as it appears to be undervalued, but the only way to really reopen is to add a member. The current conference movement may mean the ACC can't be as patient waiting for bigger fish (like an ND or UT that they clearly had an eye on).

If anyone will be added, it will come down to what $ can be added either through markets, renegotiation, or a combination of that, minus the expenses of adding them. The truth is, all these self-anointed pundits don't have access to the books or media partners to really know.

Last edited:
Must add. Absolutely not. But if adding a school allows the ACC to open media contract negotiations with ESPN, there really aren't any other more attractive candidates that make sense geographically. ESPN is dying to reopen their contract to negotiate the terms as it appears to be undervalued, but the only way to really reopen is to add a member. The current conference movement may mean the ACC can't be as patient waiting for bigger fish (like an ND or UT that they clearly had an eye on).
ACC can't afford to miss out on the only school other than ND that fits.

ACC can't afford to miss out on the only school other than ND that fits.
Yes it can. Because on their own, they don't bring the $. They may, however, allow the conference to renegotiate for more money. And WVU isn't getting into a better conference than the ACC. It's not like there is any threat of the B10 taking them.

If it was up to Pitt, we would add them. We we would have brought them with us if we could have 10 years ago. Pitt is only one voice though.

I think the Big 10 will get first pick of the remains and then ACC.
This is just messy now.
Anything can happen.
It's good for the ACC since 2036 is a long time away and those rights until then equal alot of money.
Oklahoma and Texas can leave because they only have 4 years left and the SEC money will make up for it.

WVU is good for Pitt “on the field”. It’s good for both programs.

Unfortunately, WVU isn’t worth it from a $$ standpoint. Mountaineers won’t increase the $$ per team at all...especially because ESPN loves its deal with ACC. That former ACC commish was in over his head when he made deals with ACC going back a long ways.

Don’t blame any member of ACC for not wanting to add if it’s not ND. WVU fans would be saying same thing if roles were reversed.

It’s going to be fascinating to see what happens next. Nothing would surprise me...especially scrapping conference model altogether when/if it starts getting silly and we see B1G and SEC start adding teams like crazy.

If that happens, even the teams in “safe” conferences could be in trouble. The one school I immediately think of is Rutgers, who has zero business enjoying its current fruits.

Last edited:
I see the Big 10 going after NC State and Virginia

And possibly Syracuse
No.

FSU and Clemson will be asked first. If they say no, its extremely doubtful anyone will leave but next up will be some combination of GT, UNC, Miami, UVa. NC State would be WAY down the list. Its more an SEC culture, average academics, culturally southern.

Kansas is already talking to the BIG.
Just because Kansas gave them a call doesn’t mean they’re going to get an invite. I don’t think the Big 10, ACC and PAC12 are going to make knee jerk decisions and start to add teams just to add teams.

Just because Kansas gave them a call doesn’t mean they’re going to get an invite. I don’t think the Big 10, ACC and PAC12 are going to make knee jerk decisions and start to add teams just to add teams.
I didn’t say the BIG was talking to them

Yes it can. Because on their own, they don't bring the $. They may, however, allow the conference to renegotiate for more money. And WVU isn't getting into a better conference than the ACC. It's not like there is any threat of the B10 taking them.

If it was up to Pitt, we would add them. We we would have brought them with us if we could have 10 years ago. Pitt is only one voice though.
Ok so the acc can sit around and get poached instead of being proactive and adding the best fit with the worst case scenario being retaining over 93% of their current revenue

Lots of talk about Pitt needing to get into the B10. Other then the $$$ why would it benefit Pitt to become a bottom feeder in the B10?

Just curious.

Cruzer

I wouldn't be shocked if A&M and Missouri left for the Big Ten. The SEC may already know this is a possibility but figures Texas + OU > A&M + Missouri. And honestly they might actually WANT that outcome as 16 is too many
That would be a win win for everyone. Sec replaces those teo with Ok and UT and big 10 gets two solid programs.

Lots of talk about Pitt needing to get into the B10. Other then the $$$ why would it benefit Pitt to become a bottom feeder in the B10?

Just curious.

Cruzer
From the other POV, what does Pitt bring to the B10? Nothing like the other schools in that conference.

What does WVU bring? Televisions, academics.

The state is bleeding with the continuing loss of population. The highest in the nation.

Just curious.

Cruzer

Just my opinion,

But the days of anyone such as Pitt crashing the big boys party are over.

Our awful decisions from 40 years ago are haunting us even today.

If we are going to get our asses kicked (and 7-8 wins in the ACC suggests we get our ass kicked too often),

We might as well get paid.

TEXAS and Oklahoma are gone to SEC , so does ACC add WVU /ND possibly and call it a day , I believe ACC needs to be proactive, not sure how they want to go about this all. Things are changing for sure
4 leagues of 16 each is perfect. Works for basketball as well.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

Just curious.

Cruzer
The only benefit to Pitt is that is would be perceived as more stable than the ACC a decade for now. Pitt can't get out of the ACC unless it dissolves. At this point, the exit fee and grant of right means might mean it would cost as much to leave the ACC as building a football stadium.

IMO PItt wouldnt be a bottom feeder in the BIG 10 .

HARDLY. I would love to see PItt in the BIG 10 .
The only thing i know , is that Heinz would be sold out almost every game being in the Big 10.
I just hope the ACC gets a couple decent schools after this new bomb settles.

Here we go again with “my sources”… Don’t believe it until you hear it from an established sports journalist….

All kidding aside, nothing against WVU, but you’re going to get A LOT of BS on Twitter….

WVU would be stupid not to have already called every contact they have in the ACC; just like Kansas is doing for the B10. The B12 schools should all be in contact with every conference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT