ADVERTISEMENT

Cuse -3.5

Agree. It looks about right. Sagarin’s computer has it close to even on a neutral site. So, this is at Cuse where they should be statistically slightly favored due to the home court advantage but maybe only by about 2 points vs the 3.5. Then consider the matchups and the zone probably favor Cuse a little more.

Last edited:
That's what I think too. We have had similar season's thus far and they are playing at home. This game should be a pretty big litmus test for both teams. I think we may have better talent than the Cuse this year 1 tru 5.
We've faced very little zone this year. Very interested to see if we can be patient.
I'm also interested in who we match up against Judah and Girard.

Reactions: jctrack
Thoughts?

In regards to the game, there are 3 very simple keys.

1) Put our best defender on Girard and force Mintz and everyone else to beat us. That should mean Burton. In Syracuse's 4 losses, Girard was completely shut down and taken out of the game and they have bad losses because of it. 4 poor games from Girard, especially shooting from 3, 4 losses are the direct results.

2) Syracuse likes to attack the paint and within 5 feet of the basket. Fede needs his A game on defense. When Syracuse is forced outside the paint and interior, they often struggle. Protect the paint and the interior on defense at all costs and give up open jumpers minus Girard in return if need be.

3) Make 3's. This is self explanatory. We need to make some 3's this game.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
After much careful deliberation I have concluded that the answer to your question is we must put the orange ball in the basket more than our opponent. These are my thoughts.

Reactions: Ski11585
Seriously, Eliot and Hinson need to loosen up the zone by hitting wing 3’s, quick ball movement, penetrate the lanes with Nelly and Burton, and play high low with Fede going dunkers spot to dunkers spot.

Their 2-3 is very basic. They are always long and tall so lanes are tight. You just have to play good zone offense.

Seriously, Eliot and Hinson need to loosen up the zone by hitting ring 3’s, quick ball movement, penetrate the lanes with Nell and Burton, and play high low with Fede going dunkers spot to dunkers spot.

Their 2-3 is very basic. They are always long and tall so lanes are tight. You just have to play good zone offense. Play solid man help defense. This should be a win. Our strengths are what will beat that zone.

1) Put our best defender on Girard and force Mintz and everyone else to beat us. That should mean Burton. In Syracuse's 4 losses, Girard was completely shut down and taken out of the game and they have bad losses because of it. 4 poor games from Girard, especially shooting from 3, 4 losses are the direct results.

2) Syracuse likes to attack the paint and within 5 feet of the basket. Fede needs his A game on defense. When Syracuse is forced outside the paint and interior, they often struggle. Protect the paint and the interior on defense at all costs and give up open jumpers minus Girard in return if need be.

That is exactly right. Girard is a shooter, but not an athlete and can look really bad if you D him up. Burton is our most physical guard and is more than athletic enough to guard Girard. If Girard has a rough game, we should win.

That's what I think too. We have had similar season's thus far and they are playing at home. This game should be a pretty big litmus test for both teams. I think we may have better talent than the Cuse this year 1 tru 5.
I like our chances. Force Girard to make tough shots and keep Judah out of the lane. Edwards is playing well for them, so he can get his. We have many guys who are smart enough to attack the zone and we should get good shots. Elliott could be big from the corners.

Foul trouble for Fede is a real concern.

Traditionally, Cuse’s bigs are more long and slender. Haven’t watched them this year but if this is the case then hopefully 25 can hang for a couple min at a time.

Although we need John against UNC. If 25 has to play any minutes against them, Bacot might score 50.

Fede hasn't really played (and defended) for a full game against better quality bigs. He had 2 fouls in 17 minutes (both fouls in the first half) against Vandy, and that hurt the Panthers chances. He had 3 fouls in 25 minutes against NC State but their bigs don't bring much. But he had all kind of problems against VCU.

Jessie Williams is legit. I'm just worried Fede picks up quick fouls and we need to hope John is more on his game. I don't think the Twins can help much in this game.

Fede hasn't really played (and defended) for a full game against better quality bigs. He had 2 fouls in 17 minutes (both fouls in the first half) against Vandy, and that hurt the Panthers chances. He had 3 fouls in 25 minutes against NC State but their bigs don't bring much. But he had all kind of problems against VCU.

Jessie Williams is legit. I'm just worried Fede picks up quick fouls and we need to hope John is more on his game. I don't think the Twins can help much in this game.
Well they better because they might have to for a few minutes.
On defense yeah they won't help much. But I think J could be useful in the middle on O.

Does this mean you expect John dressed tomorrow?

Reactions: Drew1208
Will be interesting to see if Fede can continue to finish

This is a game Pitt should win. The few times I’ve caught Cuse this year have left me unimpressed, even with Mintz. Girard is a pure gunner and not terribly efficient. I’d let him shoot it all night and focus on Mintz/Williams.

Sticking this game at 9 o’clock on the Tuesday before Christmas tells you everything you need to know about where both programs sit with the ACC. This game should always be a noon or 3 PM tip on a Saturday with the students on either campus as this is probably the closest thing to a “rival” that either school has in the conference.

Reactions: cabe23 and Ski11585
After much careful deliberation I have concluded that the answer to your question is we must put the orange ball in the basket more than our opponent. These are my thoughts.
Could still lose if we only shoot fouls shots and twos and Cuse shoots threes. You are slipping.

Our shooters should be really excited playing against this zone tonight. I always LOVED playing against a zone ! I think having Nelly at the point will make a huge difference vs past few years, as to getting open looks for our best shooters. I share DT's and others concerns on FEDE getting into foul trouble. I think the twins could surprise and be helpful tonight, if Fede has foul trouble and/or in hitting some shots vs the zone.

Also, our guards need to rebound. We need strong games from Burton and Hinson, all around. If Fede gets in foul trouble, going to have to be a team effort. I think Elliott could have a big game. If our shooters are cold, we are likely in big trouble. The Cuse best win was a 1 point victory at Notre Dame. A decent but not great ND team.

Seriously, Eliot and Hinson need to loosen up the zone by hitting ring 3’s, quick ball movement, penetrate the lanes with Nell and Burton, and play high low with Fede going dunkers spot to dunkers spot.

Their 2-3 is very basic. They are always long and tall so lanes are tight. You just have to play good zone offense. Play solid man help defense. This should be a win. Our strengths are what will beat that zone.
Yeah. I feel like this team has a better shot against the Cuse zone than the teams Capel has rolled out recently.

Yeah. I feel like this team has a better shot against the Cuse zone than the teams Capel has rolled out recently.
Just hope they don’t settle for threes- Hinson should be able to work the foul line - Burton too- . I think we should score 70- can we defend well enough ?

Let’s get those early 3’s to fall and play from in front!!! Hopefully work inside out to begin the game and don’t fall in love with the 3 until we’ve established Hinson in the middle of the zone! No leak outs early!

Foul trouble for Fede is a real concern.
This is a VERY critical aspect. FF has to be able to play good D WITHOUT fouling. Controlling SU’s inside offense and keeping them off the offensive glass will be a tough ask for Jorge Diaz-Graham.

Although their back line seems pretty typical for them, this season Cuse's zone has less height and length up top than in the past. IMHO, this has made their zone less effective defending around the top of the key and on the elbows. On the other hand they are, as usual, long, tall and difficult to attack in the paint. I think this will negate the recent scoring we have gotten from Fede on the inside and the pick and roll play to him.

On the other hand, IMHO, their lesser than in the past height and length at guard should be to Pitt's advantage if execution is good in attacking from the elbows and shooting the 3 ball (except from the corners).

Reactions: rockypanther
That is exactly right. Girard is a shooter, but not an athlete and can look really bad if you D him up. Burton is our most physical guard and is more than athletic enough to guard Girard. If Girard has a rough game, we should win.
In some games I’ve seen, Girard can also get very frustrated if he’s not scoring and will then force some very bad shots.

Need to get up on him. Limit his time and space to shoot. Burton or Sibande could do it.

How many times did Dixon beat Boeheim at the Carrier Dome? I have to think that Dixon and Calhoun would be the top two coaches with wins at the Carrier Dome.

Reactions: rockypanther
How many times did Dixon beat Boeheim at the Carrier Dome? I have to think that Dixon and Calhoun would be the top two coaches with wins at the Carrier Dome.

Dixon was 7-2 in the Carrier Dome, and 15-6 against Syracuse overall, or 15-7 if you count TCU's loss to the Cuse in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT