ADVERTISEMENT

Cuse stinks

This year is an anomaly under Duzz. Duzz won 20 games the last 2 seasons.

While I agree that he isnt a 2-10 or 3-9 coach, he is a 7-5 coach without a Heisman QB that he's never going to have again. We need to sell Syracuse on the idea of taking him. Maybe we can still get Hafley, who may go 8-4.

While I agree that he isnt a 2-10 or 3-9 coach, he is a 7-5 coach without a Heisman QB that he's never going to have again. We need to sell Syracuse on the idea of taking him. Maybe we can still get Hafley, who may go 8-4.

Yeah, if going 3-9 is an anomaly then so is going 11-3. If we go 3-9 this season, his overall record will be 65-50, for an average of 7.22 - 5.55.

So that's a 56.52% winning percentage and a little worse than being a 7-5 coach.

Walt's winning % was 54.17%, and Wanny's was 58.10%.

I'm counting all games in their tenure (I realize they might have skipped a final bowl game or something). So Narduzzi had a good season, but he did not raise the bar.

Reactions: Ronnyp91 and Jim Z
Yeah, if going 3-9 is an anomaly then so is going 11-3. If we go 3-9 this season, his overall record will be 65-50, for an average of 7.22 - 5.55.

So that's a 56.52% winning percentage and a little worse than being a 7-5 coach.

I'm counting all games in their tenure (I realize they might have skipped a final bowl game or something). So Narduzzi had a good season, but he did not raise the bar.

Right. 11-2 and 3-9 are anomalies. He's 7-5 Pat. Lots of people can go 7-5 at Pitt. Narduzzi is Walt & Wanny with 1 season of lucking into a Heisman QB.

Right. 11-2 and 3-9 are anomalies. He's 7-5 Pat. Lots of people can go 7-5 at Pitt. Narduzzi is Walt & Wanny with 1 season of lucking into a Heisman QB.

I still contend that Walt actually did raise the bar, but it's tough to say any of the coaches since him really did. Walt made us into a 7-5ish program, and we've been passing on the torch ever since.

Not saying we theoretically couldn't be better or be worse; I'm just saying that's what we've been for 25 years.

It would be like us taking Stallings. Middling guy who had a few nice years.

I wouldn’t expect Duzz to suck as bad after the change as Stallings did tho.

Last edited:
I still contend that Walt actually did raise the bar, but it's tough to say any of the coaches since him really did. Walt made us into a 7-5ish program, and we've been passing on the torch ever since.

Not saying we theoretically couldn't be better or be worse; I'm just saying that's what we've been for 25 years.

Wanny had a window there. 2 straight 9-3s. I feel like that season-opening OT loss at Utah was the program changer. Remember that was supposed to be at Michigan but Pederson turned them down for a more winnable Utah series. These AD's never learn. Nobody schedules worse than Pitt AD's. But anyway, that loss to Utah and not having a better QB than Tino did him in. And Tino wasnt as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He was way better than Jurkovec but not good enough.

I daydream often about what could’ve happened had we kept Wanny.

Not saying for good or bad, just curiosity.

Reactions: Jim Z

I didn't think he was much of a coach, but he may or may not have overcome that with the right coordinate hires and QB recruit(s) - if and when that would have happened.

The recruiting class he had coming in was so good. I wished we would have kept him. He absolutely would not have done worse than 3 straight 6-6's.

That's what I alluded to before with another poster. But he seemed to not have his brain engaged at the time. That 11-3 season is just as much of an outlier, maybe more so, than 3-9 or 2-10. And Narduzzi is and will always be a 7-5 or 6-6 coach. It's just statistics where you delete the highest and lowest numbers and average the rest.

Next year when he reverts back to the mean at 7-5, it will prove my point.

That's what I alluded to before with another poster. But he seemed to not have his brain engaged at the time. That 11-3 season is just as much of an outlier, maybe more so, than 3-9 or 2-10. And Narduzzi is and will always be a 7-5 or 6-6 coach. It's just statistics where you delete the highest and lowest numbers and average the rest.

Next year when he reverts back to the mean at 7-5, it will prove my point.
7-5 should be acceptable at Pitt. That's about what they are as a program. They don't have a lot of geographical advantages in recruiting. They don't have the biggest or most passionate fan base, and aren't paying top dollar for talent.

I'm considering the 11 win season as a season where Pitt achieved 7 or more wins.

3, 4, and 5 win seasons aren't acceptable.

The recruiting class he had coming in was so good. I wished we would have kept him. He absolutely would not have done worse than 3 straight 6-6's.
He was winning recruiting battles against big-boy schools like Nebraska, Michigan, and PSU. He made inroads on the eastern side of the state and New Jersey. He more than held his own with others with respect to this side of the state. All the while being saddled with Big East 2 membership.

It is hard to imagine any scenario that he would have been worse than the three buffoons that succeeded him.

Reactions: Jim Z
He was winning recruiting battles against big-boy schools like Nebraska, Michigan, and PSU. He made inroads on the eastern side of the state and New Jersey. He more than held his own with others with respect to this side of the state. All the while being saddled with Big East 2 membership.

It is hard to imagine any scenario that he would have been worse than the three buffoons that succeeded him.

Wanny wasn't good at coaching but he was like James Franklin in that he was recruiting so well, they were going to win games in spite of him. Tino cost him. And that's on Wanny for not having someone better but Pederson was too quick to pull the plug especially given the recruiting class

7-5 should be acceptable at Pitt. That's about what they are as a program. They don't have a lot of geographical advantages in recruiting. They don't have the biggest or most passionate fan base, and aren't paying top dollar for talent.

I'm considering the 11 win season as a season where Pitt achieved 7 or more wins.

3, 4, and 5 win seasons aren't acceptable.

7-5 isnt acceptable. What's the point of that? Plenty of people can go 7-5. I understand the difficulties a Pitt coach faces but you have to aspire to be more than 7-5 or else what's the point?

Yeah, but that (swoon) SPORTS ILLUSTRATED ARTICLE!!!! It embarrassed Pitt’s effete buttercup execs. They could hardly show their faces in the Shadyside Whole Foods!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT