ADVERTISEMENT

Dior update

Huh?

Hayes

"A Pitt football player pleaded guilty to a summary charge of harassment this week in connection with accusations he assaulted the mother of his child after an argument earlier this month."

I mean you do understand that even if you are charged with a summary offense you have to plead one way or the other, right?
I mean it’s pretty silly since it was what less than a month ago ?
So the situations are comparable

The cop escalated the issue. It was over-policing and a cop looking for trouble. Horton was drunk and made a derogatory comment about the female comment. They should have laughed and walked away, not arrested him.

Why is it always the cop's fault? I know there are bad cops, but they make up maybe 5% of the total cop population. The rest are fine people trying to do their jobs and protect us. I'll suspect some punk jock is guilty before I accuse a cop of being a "tough guy cop".

Reactions: NNFAN and Jim Z
Sadly Pitt has a lot of company from the Professional down to High School athletes who have been given a pass for boorish and many times criminal behavior. Therefore I expect muted criticism as the old saying " people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Yep, there are so many people in other organizations everywhere who do the same things and get away with it. A lot of hypocrisy out there.

The cop escalated the issue. It was over-policing and a cop looking for trouble. Horton was drunk and made a derogatory comment about the female comment. They should have laughed and walked away, not arrested him.
Were you there physically or having an out of body experience? Bottom line when being arrested shut the F up and do as instructed or expect consequences. Your cavalier attitude towards striking a Cop is a prime example of why crime is out of control.

I want him to play for Pitt because I care more about winning that I do morals. Do you not remember me saying we should hire Miller, Pitino....and pay players (even before you were allowed). However, for what he did, he doesn't deserve to play this season.

You care more about winning than about morals and right and wrong? Well, that explains a lot about you. That's a dangerous attitude to have. It will cause you a lot of trouble in your life if it hasn't already.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Were you there physically or having an out of body experience? Bottom line when being arrested shut the F up and do as instructed or expect consequences. Your cavalier attitude towards striking a Cop is a prime example of why crime is out of control.

He wasnt being arrested. He was upset and acting like a drunk idiot. Cops walking away. Situation over. Then he called the female a bad name. Their feelings were hurt so they turned around and arrested him. Horton, yes, should have just complied but he resisted to some extent and in the process of flailing, his arm made contact with the male cop. His dad indicated that the contact was made while they were struggling over a cell phone or something to that extent. It wasnt a fight. It wasnt a punch.

IF he is reinstated, capel would have his work cut out for him as to who he takes PT from. there is a real team chemistry issue here too. so, maybe, he is a really good individual player, is he a real team player ? If he isn't, he could destroy team chemistry.

we're 6-4 not 10-0. I like the chemistry too, but this kid will play a lot and should.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Can’t see Jeff having many favors left to get this expedited or in his favor, if he even has a preference.

what does this mean? Not expediting or doing favors? This has way more to do with Pitt basketball than the coach. You can't hold a program, boosters and fans hostage because you spite a coach. Heather should be fired if that's the case.

what does this mean? Not expediting or doing favors? This has way more to do with Pitt basketball than the coach. You can't hold a program, boosters and fans hostage because you spite a coach. Heather should be fired if that's the case.

A decision will be made within a week like I said.

It means if this were someone like Will Jeffress who had some credit and good will built up and not someone who had been on campus a week Jeff would be more willing to stick his neck out on the line for the kid. IMO, and according to my source, they’re waiting on word from Heather and higher than her instead of pleading their case. If he wasn’t going on a 5th non post season season, that wouldn’t be the case.

Also beyond the Hayes charge being moved to a summary offense, Narduzzi has quite a bit more pull at the moment coming off an ACC title.

Upon dropping the charges, Hugley and Horton the first time and second time were immediately reinstated. Dior was not which speaks volumes. If the decision was clear cut to return, he would’ve been reinstated. He also, according to his lawyer, has not been on campus or with the team. I have a hard time seeing Jeff going to put his job on the line as far as a “favor” to get this resolved in his favor and quickly. But I could be wrong.

It means if this were someone like Will Jeffress who had some credit and good will built up and not someone who had been on campus a week Jeff would be more willing to stick his neck out on the line for the kid. IMO, and according to my source, they’re waiting on word from Heather and higher than her instead of pleading their case. If he wasn’t going on a 5th non post season season, that wouldn’t be the case.

Also beyond the Hayes charge being moved to a summary offense, Narduzzi has quite a bit more pull at the moment coming off an ACC title.

Upon dropping the charges, Hugley and Horton the first time and second time were immediately reinstated. Dior was not which speaks volumes. If the decision was clear cut to return, he would’ve been reinstated. He also, according to his lawyer, has not been on campus or with the team. I have a hard time seeing Jeff going to put his job on the line as far as a “favor” to get this resolved in his favor and quickly. But I could be wrong.

so because Capel doesn't want to put his neck on the line, we're going to take the moral approach and review carefully? But if he did have a favor in his pocket, we'd ignore what happened and reinstate the kid? Do you know how ridiculous that is?

one foot in, one foot out. Play the game or don't. Pick a lane.

There is a question that this kid is even attending class or in school at all. If he isn't, then he can't be on the team. That's pretty clear. Capel doesn't owe the kid anything if he's not even on campus, and neither does the administration.

There is a question that this kid is even attending class or in school at all. If he isn't, then he can't be on the team. That's pretty clear. Capel doesn't owe the kid anything if he's not even on campus, and neither does the administration.

He doesn't need to be attending class. He can enroll for the January semester and be eligible as soon as Finals end next week

Recruiting him was a mistake born of desperation and letting him back would be an equal mistake.

This team is doing some nice things and, if nothing else, isn’t absolute misery to watch. The ACC is awful and Capel’s teams have always been able to pick off 1-2 wins where they had no business doing so, so assuming that continues I don’t see an NIT bid as unrealistic. To disrupt that by bringing back a guy with a baggage claim full of baggage would just be the height of desperation. Provide support/guidance to the kid, wish him well in his next endeavor, and let this season play out.

Recruiting him was a mistake born of desperation and letting him back would be an equal mistake.

This team is doing some nice things and, if nothing else, isn’t absolute misery to watch. The ACC is awful and Capel’s teams have always been able to pick off 1-2 wins where they had no business doing so, so assuming that continues I don’t see an NIT bid as unrealistic. To disrupt that by bringing back a guy with a baggage claim full of baggage would just be the height of desperation. Provide support/guidance to the kid, wish him well in his next endeavor, and let this season play out.

^^^ This is 100% spot on.

I would also wish the kid well wherever he goes and hope he gets his act together. Just not playing basketball for Pitt. This team has a hint of chemistry now which it hasn't had in 5 years. Not need to screw it up with some stupid kid with baggage.

Reactions: Kaywood105
Those are sports-related morals. Personal morals or what you do in your free time have NOTHING to do with sports. If you play good, are a good teammate, listen to the coach, etc, any trouble you get into outside of the team isn't relevant
Big Ben would agree but I do not

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
so because Capel doesn't want to put his neck on the line, we're going to take the moral approach and review carefully? But if he did have a favor in his pocket, we'd ignore what happened and reinstate the kid? Do you know how ridiculous that is?

one foot in, one foot out. Play the game or don't. Pick a lane.
I don’t disagree with you. Just passing along what I heard. Staff is waiting to hear. Which is definitely different than the immediacy of reinstatements with the other 2.

“Whether Johnson returns to play for Pitt basketball is still undetermined, as he must wait for the university to make a decision”

From the Post-Gazette and jives with what I’ve said all along. My source could be completely wrong but he’s been right so far

Has Pitt ever had an active player while actively serving a probation sentence?

That is not what it says. He pleaded guilty to 2 misdemeanor charges, but it does not say what they were. He was originally charged with assault.
From the Trib today:

"A University of Pittsburgh basketball player pleaded guilty Friday to two misdemeanor counts of domestic violence and was ordered to serve one year of probation....Johnson pleaded guilty to domestic violence charges of strangulation and simple assault....Johnson, who has no prior criminal history, was ordered to serve one year of probation and complete a batterer’s intervention program."

Reactions: Pitt Non Grata
Let him play if the university reinstates him. Not as a starter but he could be very useful.

And I’m done caring about morals and ethics in college sports. It’s gone so far off the rails that at this point its all about whatever it takes to win games.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireballZ
Perhaps the most ridiculous post I've read. Morals are important in every part of life sports included. A big part of youth sports is teaching morals sportsmanship, honesty , hard work etc.
The last thing I relied on as a parent was a coach or teacher teaching morals. Usually the coaches that talk about these the most have the least of them…

Reactions: PittPharm2002
Not one of us really knows what actually happened , who instigated or who escalated the incident . The charges were reduced which does say something .

None of us know the kid at all ,so let‘s let those that have a greater incite into the kid’s character make the decision . If he’s reinstated it’s under a zero tolerance policy of any off or on the court misbehavior .

If he returns the last thing I’d worry about is team chemistry , this isn’t a team on the verge of greatness . Adding a potentially great pg can only elevate this team .

Allowing him to stay and play might add the stability that this kid actually needs to get his life in order . Part of a college experience is growing up and becoming responsible.

At a time when the Steelers had a player shooting at helicopters, I personally knew a Steeler who keep getting into off the field altercations . He was a backup and was never arrested for any of these incidents. , but was cut after he got into a fight with some idiot who thought they could beat up an NFL lineman . ( he was mistaken ) There’s two sets of rules one for guys who can play and one for guys who can’t and that’s reality .( he went on to play in the NFL for 16 yrs just not for the Steelers )

I’m all for giving the kid a second chance , but not a third .

Reactions: Jim Z
So does there have try be some charade to pretend about official deliberation, or can it be dispensed and the guy start playing immediately like Hayes did?

So does there have try be some charade to pretend about official deliberation, or can it be dispensed and the guy start playing immediately like Hayes did?
Exactly. Everything mundane has been weighed since September. Surely the what-ifs have all been discussed prior to the plea. Yea or nay.

Exactly. Everything mundane has been weighed since September. Surely the what-ifs have all been discussed prior to the plea. Yea or nay.
They have to make it “look good” I guess. Like a mourning period for widows who killed off their rich old geezer husbands. Meanwhile we’re stinking against OLSH.

That he pled down makes it likely he’s back by January .
If he last until March it would be nice

A million percent no. Why would they be suspended? What they did had nothing to do with basketball. The state has laws to deal with these crimes. I don't believe in double punishment for athletes. Their legal punishment is enough. Where I do believe in double punishment are for "crimes against society:" rape, murder, domestic violence. Do those things and you cant play basketball. Bar fight in the Southside? Steal a computer? We have laws to deal with that. You can play.
All crimes, by definition, are crimes against society. That's why they are crimes. Stealing, disrupting the peace, those are certainly crimes against society. You don't get to pick and choose which laws you like, and which you don't.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT