ADVERTISEMENT

Dior update

He’s not suspended from school
So that’s not an issue

The DA's office or police may have asked the university not to investigate or initiate proceedings while the criminal case was pending. If there's a plea deal that ends the criminal case the university may proceed. Maybe not, but the fact he's not suspended now doesn't mean that student conduct won't get involved.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
The DA's office or police may have asked the university not to investigate or initiate proceedings while the criminal case was pending. If there's a plea deal that ends the criminal case the university may proceed. Maybe not, but the fact he's not suspended now doesn't mean that student conduct won't get involved.
For what? Was the girl a Pitt student?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Have to see what he pleads to and then what's required by the court. There may be no room for D1 basketball.

Reactions: PeetWeet2
They don’t proceed on these things ever

The code of conduct is a method for the university to handle issues for students that don’t involve police -
Selling drugs, selling alcohol to minors , cheating , sexual conducts , hazing etc

For what? Was the girl a Pitt student?
Pitt, like probably every University, has a code of conduct beyond state law. There are 44 violations in there that may not not be covered by state or federal law. Likewise, the evidentiary standard isn't as high as the criminal justice system. If you have a job, you may also have an employer who has a lower standard for disciplining employees for in or out of workplace violations than the law.

You may strongly dislike all of that, but it is pretty standard

Pitt, like probably every University, has a code of conduct beyond state law. There are 44 violations in there that may not not be covered by state or federal law. Likewise, the evidentiary standard isn't as high as the criminal justice system. If you have a job, you may also have an employer who has a lower standard for disciplining employees for in or out of workplace violations than the law.

If he wasn’t suspended by pitt while charged with felonies he won’t have a code of conduct review after court
The intent isn’t to run students off -
It’s to have a process for student vs student and professor vs student conflicts without involving police and courts .
It’s essentially the same as companies who have systems for employees to contest punishments

He’d be more likely suspended for plagiarism in class than these charges

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

It is standard, and dumb. Universities and employers have enough to worry about without concerning themselves with events unrelated to their operations.

It is standard, and dumb. Universities and employers have enough to worry about without concerning themselves with events unrelated to their operations.
They are worried about when their students and employees, who represent them to the world, sully their reputation.

(I'm not sure the right decision about Dior btw, I lack any of the details about both the criminal matter and about how he interacts with the basketball team for instance.)

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
It would seem to me we need to see what he actually pleads to . If the charges are greatly reduced then the DA must feel that they’d have a hard time convicting him of those more serious charges .

I‘m not a proponent of giving dangerous people multiple chances , but someone needs to give the kid a second chance . Throwing him out won’t help him one bit , he’d just have to understand there’s zero tolerance going forward .

They are worried about when their students and employees, who represent them to the world, sully their reputation.
Correct. Also on a very personal level, someone makes the decision either to allow the offender to return or to cut them off and move on. If you are that someone, you are basically putting your professional career/reputation on the line for the offender. If the offender makes another blunder the people you work for will/should hold you accountable. It is not as simple as those on here who make it out to be, particularly if the accused has something along the lines in Dior's case.

The other two players should have been definitely suspended Hugely and Horton what are you talking about. The one committed a Felony stolen vehicle/RSP. The other assaulted a police officer and resisted arrest.

Reactions: Jim Z
The other two players should have been definitely suspended Hugely and Horton what are you talking about. The one committed a Felony stolen vehicle/RSP. The other assaulted a police officer and resisted arrest.
Neither player was actually convicted of either of those things. There’s no question that those were the accusations.

Neither player was actually convicted of either of those things. There’s no question that those were the accusations.
But the real point there was no university punishment for either - nor will there be for Dior
So those suggesting there will be are being silly

But the real point there was no university punishment for either - nor will there be for Dior
So those suggesting there will be are being silly
I do think the dynamic re: university consequences might be different if the woman was a fellow Pitt student.

Reactions: pittjas

A million percent no. Why would they be suspended? What they did had nothing to do with basketball. The state has laws to deal with these crimes. I don't believe in double punishment for athletes. Their legal punishment is enough. Where I do believe in double punishment are for "crimes against society:" rape, murder, domestic violence. Do those things and you cant play basketball. Bar fight in the Southside? Steal a computer? We have laws to deal with that. You can play.

A million percent no. Why would they be suspended? What they did had nothing to do with basketball. The state has laws to deal with these crimes. I don't believe in double punishment for athletes. Their legal punishment is enough. Where I do believe in double punishment are for "crimes against society:" rape, murder, domestic violence. Do those things and you cant play basketball. Bar fight in the Southside? Steal a computer? We have laws to deal with that. You can play.
So your position is he shouldn’t be allowed to play since he admitted guilt to two counts in a domestic violence situation? That’s the official SMF take?

Will have to get thru university review board first. While they may meet quicker than normal I’d be surprised if he plays before UVA

So your position is he shouldn’t be allowed to play since he admitted guilt to two counts in a domestic violence situation? That’s the official SMF take?

Will have to get thru university review board first. While they may meet quicker than normal I’d be surprised if he plays before UVA

For me, hitting a woman = 1 season suspension

Driving a car which was stolen by a friend = 0 games

Getting into a physical altercation with an aggressive "tough guy" cop = 0 games

All this said, I am a greedy Pitt fan so I want Dior back. Morally though, I dont think its right for him to play this season.

Reactions: Porter412

Getting into a physical altercation with an aggressive "tough guy" cop = 0 games

All this said, I am a greedy Pitt fan so I want Dior back. Morally though, I dont think its right for him to play this season.
I'm with you on this one. He pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman. I wouldn't enjoy seeing him play in a Pitt uniform.

So you took both sides of this issue as you always do so you can proclaim victory. Pick ONE side. You either want him to play for Pitt or you don’t.

Glad I'm not Jeff Capel, Heather Lyke, or the university admin today. I don't have a strong view on what should be done here, but it ain't easy.

What I've been thinking of is a Capel interview earlier this year where he described Dior as "misunderstood" or something along those lines. Saying that the transfers and decommitments were not all they were built up to be. Would have been around the time this incident went down. In retrospect, he sounds naive.

A lot of this turns on what Dior has been saying or doing lately and whether he can be better going forward, or if this is the apotheosis of a lot of scattered, bad decisions.

Glad I'm not Jeff Capel, Heather Lyke, or the university admin today. I don't have a strong view on what should be done here, but it ain't easy.

What I've been thinking of is a Capel interview earlier this year where he described Dior as "misunderstood" or something along those lines. Saying that the transfers and decommitments were not all they were built up to be. Would have been around the time this incident went down. In retrospect, he sounds naive.

A lot of this turns on what Dior has been saying or doing lately and whether he can be better going forward, or if this is the apotheosis of a lot of scattered, bad decisions.
Can’t see Jeff having many favors left to get this expedited or in his favor, if he even has a preference.

"Tough guy cop"? You know this cop personally? It's this disrespectful attitude that creates a lot of the problems with crime and violence we have now. As for Dior if bleach would have been used would that have cleaned up his issues and allowed h to play? The University has set a precedent and really doesn't have much choice but to allow him to play, to do otherwise would be hypocritical

So you took both sides of this issue as you always do so you can proclaim victory. Pick ONE side. You either want him to play for Pitt or you don’t.
My favorite SMF response when discussing a potential player or coach is "lottery pick". So if the guy works out, SMF was right. And if the guy doesn't work out, SMF was still right.

At some odds, everybody is a lottery pick. Without a firm conviction one way or another, the only reason to comment like that is to eventually claim you were right.

"Tough guy cop"? You know this cop personally? It's this disrespectful attitude that creates a lot of the problems with crime and violence we have now. As for Dior if bleach would have been used would that have cleaned up his issues and allowed h to play? The University has set a precedent and really doesn't have much choice but to allow him to play, to do otherwise would be hypocritical

And that precedent set by Pitt will be a focus of a lot of criticism for Pitt going forward, and rightfully so.

And that precedent set by Pitt will be a focus of a lot of criticism for Pitt going forward, and rightfully so.
Sadly Pitt has a lot of company from the Professional down to High School athletes who have been given a pass for boorish and many times criminal behavior. Therefore I expect muted criticism as the old saying " people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

100% wrong as usual. Charges were withdrawn. University never suspended Hayes. Was a team decision. Still was involved with team workouts.

Dior was suspended from Athletics by the university, and will have to be reinstated by the university.

You silly goose. Try and learn facts before posting..
Actually the report I read claimed he pled guilty to harassment charges. It's semantics as most see the similarities of events

Actually the report I read claimed he pled guilty to harassment charges. It's semantics as most see the similarities of events
Incorrect on all aspects.

Harrassment was moved to a Non traffic summary offense. Did not plead guilty to harrassment.

Nothing similar about these 2 cases in the level of severity.

One was suspended by university
Other was not.

Harrassment was moved to a Non traffic summary offense. Did not plead guilty to harrassment.

Other was not.

Huh?

Hayes

"A Pitt football player pleaded guilty to a summary charge of harassment this week in connection with accusations he assaulted the mother of his child after an argument earlier this month."

I mean you do understand that even if you are charged with a summary offense you have to plead one way or the other, right?

I want him to play for Pitt because I care more about winning that I do morals. Do you not remember me saying we should hire Miller, Pitino....and pay players (even before you were allowed). However, for what he did, he doesn't deserve to play this season.

Other was not.
I didn't realize you were an eyewitness to both events my apologies

The cop escalated the issue. It was over-policing and a cop looking for trouble. Horton was drunk and made a derogatory comment about the female comment. They should have laughed and walked away, not arrested him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT