ADVERTISEMENT

Disheartening

Gunga_Galunga

Heisman Candidate
Jan 12, 2017
This loss bothers me. Not because they got their asses kicked, but because everyone pretty much quit. It's the biggest problem a team can have. Other thoughts:

- There should be no "starting QB." Nobody on this team has earned the right to not get yanked in-game and continue to start.

- Cignetti has been an epic failure. He should have walked home from South Bend. It took about a quarter to see that CV didn't have it. Same as several of the games they insisted on leaving Phil in there. There's a difference between showing confidence and abject stupidity. I never imagined he'd be this bad... mea culpa.

- Coaches get an F for preparation. This team wasn't ready to play, particularly the offense that was dog sh!t all day. This is a reoccurring theme and squarely on the coaches.

- This is the worst tackling team I can remember. I don't know what makes you a terrible tackler, but I'm not sure it's something you can fix. The amount of missed or broken tackles is ridiculous.

- There are few coaches on this staff that should be safe. Narduzzi is because they can't get rid of him, and probably Partridge. They need to clean house on the offensive side and even change up the defensive staff. They need more recruiters.

I generally try to stay positive. I've seen a lot over the last 30 years, and fully understand where Pitt is on the totem pole of college football, but this has become disgraceful.

This loss bothers me. Not because they got their asses kicked, but because everyone pretty much quit. It's the biggest problem a team can have. Other thoughts:

- There should be no "starting QB." Nobody on this team has earned the right to not get yanked in-game and continue to start.

- Cignetti has been an epic failure. He should have walked home from South Bend. It took about a quarter to see that CV didn't have it. Same as several of the games they insisted on leaving Phil in there. There's a difference between showing confidence and abject stupidity. I never imagined he'd be this bad... mea culpa.

- Coaches get an F for preparation. This team wasn't ready to play, particularly the offense that was dog sh!t all day. This is a reoccurring theme and squarely on the coaches.

- This is the worst tackling team I can remember. I don't know what makes you a terrible tackler, but I'm not sure it's something you can fix. The amount of missed or broken tackles is ridiculous.

- There are few coaches on this staff that should be safe. Narduzzi is because they can't get rid of him, and probably Partridge. They need to clean house on the offensive side and even change up the defensive staff. They need more recruiters.

I generally try to stay positive. I've seen a lot over the last 30 years, and fully understand where Pitt is on the totem pole of college football, but this has become disgraceful.
It was a dumbass game plan. Whoever thought Saturday was good time to open up the offense or take the training wheels off the QB needs their head examined. That played right into NDs hands.

Pitt hasn't tackled well all year. It was especially bad Saturday. I think a big part of it is just athleticism. The front seven is the weakest it's been in years. They do not play near as fast as in recent years.

Last edited:

I agree that as soon as you throw a pick or 2, its on to the next guy. However, they must really think Yarnell is terrible. And he may actually be.

The Cignetti hire was the worst hire at a time when we had the luxury to bring in or promote Marion that had more of a dynamic offense. Narduzzi really self inflicted his own program due to his ego. The players wanted Marion to stay. H2P

The only thing that matters at this point is holding onto recruits and young talent. If some of the gossip is accurate, that could be difficult.

Agree with most of what you said but I think the true situation lies somewhere in between. This team is not good (I realize the record gave it away) but it is mostly around our talent level. We are at 1998 levels right now. We have "rebuilding years" at least through next year. Duzz has his faults, but he is not a bad coach....this is a bad team with some sub par assistants.

I agree that as soon as you throw a pick or 2, its on to the next guy. However, they must really think Yarnell is terrible. And he may actually be.
I have no idea if Yarnell can do the job. I do know that they waited till it was 51-0 before they brought him in. I do know that it took all of 2 passes to get into the end zone. And I also know that on the next series they ran the ball on first and second down. I would have loved to see him throw a few more times but Cig is a stubborn jackass. And while I am at it, how do you have a guy like Bartholomew on the field and totally ignore him?

Agree with most of what you said but I think the true situation lies somewhere in between. This team is not good (I realize the record gave it away) but it is mostly around our talent level. We are at 1998 levels right now. We have "rebuilding years" at least through next year. Duzz has his faults, but he is not a bad coach....this is a bad team with some sub par assistants.

The problem is convincing guys to stick it out through two rebuilding years. That free transfer card might as well be money in a kid's pocket.

I have no idea if Yarnell can do the job. I do know that they waited till it was 51-0 before they brought him in. I do know that it took all of 2 passes to get into the end zone. And I also know that on the next series they ran the ball on first and second down. I would have loved to see him throw a few more times but Cig is a stubborn jackass. And while I am at it, how do you have a guy like Bartholomew on the field and totally ignore him?

Nothing that happened after we were down 51-0 matters. Nothing at all.

It’s perverse, but as long as the fans are still bothered by it, the school won’t care. You’re still ‘hooked’

How much worse than Phil and CV can he be? Phil throws bounce passes and CV couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Play Yarnell, run the freshman out there, a walkon, anyone. What do you have to lose? Maybe you get lucky.

I don't think this team is capable of it, but they gotta show out this weekend. I don't mean win.. I mean compete. If they lose by 30+ this week things are going to spiral.

Hang in there!!! We definitely are in the same boat and it's springing leaks but hopefully help is on its way. H2P

Reactions: bschulter
It’s perverse, but as long as the fans are still bothered by it, the school won’t care. You’re still ‘hooked’

This is a good point. Quit being bothered by it. It's not worth the time it takes to be bothered. When all of the fans just quit being bothered and don't show up for games or discussing it, maybe the coaches and administration will do something about it. Unlikely, but if there are still people paying for tickets, they don't care as long as they're getting paid....coaches, players and administration.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
I don't think this team is capable of it, but they gotta show out this weekend. I don't mean win.. I mean compete. If they lose by 30+ this week things are going to spiral.

They need to win a few more games. And the only way they're going to be interested enough in doing that is by showing some life this week. I agree.

I also think Cignetti needs to be gone right now just to show everyone they're serious about making changes before it's too late and minds are already made up.

Here we go … pro sports mentality … act disinterested… stop donating etc…

That doesn’t hasnt and won’t ever be the answer for College Football

It won’t work now either…

Two things I’ve witnessed over and over with PITT tried over and over that don’t work

1. Coach turnstiles
2. Withholding donations to the point of being at the bottom of the ACC( at least a few years back)

Won’t work

The program needs a bunch of house cleaning

They need to win a few more games. And the only way they're going to be interested enough in doing that is by showing some life this week. I agree.

I also think Cignetti needs to be gone right now just to show everyone they're serious about making changes before it's too late and minds are already made up.
Cignetti should've been shown the door weeks ago. IMO

Cignetti should've been shown the door weeks ago. IMO

I don't know if a coordinator has ever singlehandedly destroyed a program like this.

Multiple starting receivers have voiced their displeasure with him on Twitter. He played a big part in a Biletnikoff winner leaving the program. Freaking Wendell Davis, who left Pitt two years ago and obviously still talks to players, said something about it on Twitter the other day. He brought in the worst QB most people have ever seen play a game at Pitt. Like... how is this dude employed?

I don't care if his offense works (and I don't think it does). The terminology is obviously too complex for college players to understand. No one knows what they're doing. On top of that, his play calling sucks. It's been one shitty stint after another for the guy. How is he still in this business?

He is Stallings to a T. An old fart who was probably going to be let go if we didn't extend a lifeline and allow him to taint our program when we had a good thing going. Just mind-boggling.

Here we go … pro sports mentality … act disinterested… stop donating etc…

That doesn’t hasnt and won’t ever be the answer for College Football

It won’t work now either…

Two things I’ve witnessed over and over with PITT tried over and over that don’t work

1. Coach turnstiles
2. Withholding donations to the point of being at the bottom of the ACC( at least a few years back)

Won’t work

The program needs a bunch of house cleaning

I'll agree that the program needs massive house cleaning and numerous heads to roll.

However, this is pro sports now and needs to be treated as such. I wish it was college sports again and these kids were student athletes. But they're not and you're kidding yourself if you think they are. They're getting paid good money and they're not getting results. Fans have no other way to push the administration to make changes other than to withhold donations and not go to games. I know it can be counterproductive, but what else can be done?

If and when they start coaching and winning again, fans will show up. It the free market system.

The Cignetti hire was the worst hire at a time when we had the luxury to bring in or promote Marion that had more of a dynamic offense. Narduzzi really self inflicted his own program due to his ego. The players wanted Marion to stay. H2P
Marion doesn't have a dynamic offense.

The problems Pitt has on offense are really simple to diagnose. Pitt doesn't have a running game and they don't have a quarterback. At least not a QB right now that can go out and perform at very high level.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the OC, things aren't going to improve much until they find a running game.

It hurts considering I thought we saw so much potential in CV after the Louisville upset. He’s digressed alarmingly. Saturday will get ugly I hate to say.

There’s simply no QB solution for the remainder of the year. I’ll say this, Yarnell has looked like a decent, calm and collected serviceable game manager when I’ve seen him on the field.

We’ll see what the genius Duzz has in store…

• Haha
Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
The absolute worst thing about Cignetti is there is no identity as to what they want to be this season …ground and pound, spread it out, no huddle, and changes not even by series, but by the play.. no opportunity for a flow of any sort

The problems Pitt has on offense are really simple to diagnose. Pitt doesn't have a running game and they don't have a quarterback. At least not a QB right now that can go out and perform at very high level.

Regardless of how anyone feels about the OC, things aren't going to improve much until they find a running game.

Guys don't know where they're supposed to be or who they're supposed to block. The whole thing is a mess. The terminology is way too complex.

Reactions: CCHS82 and pierre93
I don't know if a coordinator has ever singlehandedly destroyed a program like this.

Multiple starting receivers have voiced their displeasure with him on Twitter. He played a big part in a Biletnikoff winner leaving the program. Freaking Wendell Davis, who left Pitt two years ago and obviously still talks to players, said something about it on Twitter the other day. He brought in the worst QB most people have ever seen play a game at Pitt. Like... how is this dude employed?

I don't care if his offense works (and I don't think it does). The terminology is obviously too complex for college players to understand. No one knows what they're doing. On top of that, his play calling sucks. It's been one shitty stint after another for the guy. How is he still in this business?

He is Stallings to a T. An old fart who was probably going to be let go if we didn't extend a lifeline and allow him to taint our program when we had a good thing going. Just mind-boggling.
Stallings was the fault of Barnes, Gallagher and the Trustees. Everyone knew the score with Stallings. It was unforgivable for all those to engineer it and approve it. Yeah, Barnes schemed it with his agent, but Gall and the Trustees let it happen.

Similarly everyone knew Cignetti was a very bad hire. He stunk HERE in the first place and distinguished himself absolutely nowhere after that. And everyone knew Narduzzi only had successful years when he had really dynamic offenses. He is .500 or worse in all the other seasons with the boring offenses he prefers. Yeah he had just had a very good season but everyone knew he was dooming himself and us with shoving out Whip and hiring this dud. Everyone. Going back to that point, I’m sure you will see umpteen threads and posts warning exactly what was going to happen. Again, Pitt leadership failed to prevent it.

There’s simply no QB solution for the remainder of the year. I’ll say this, Yarnell has looked like a decent, calm and collected serviceable game manager when I’ve seen him on the field.
Right. The proclamation that Joe Blow is our starter is dumb, and sticking with him far too long in a game that's over is even dumber. It should be we don't have a starter and we're looking for someone to take the reigns, whoever that might be.

Reactions: H2Ppanthers
The absolute worst thing about Cignetti is there is no identity as to what they want to be this season …ground and pound, spread it out, no huddle, and changes not even by series, but by the play.. no opportunity for a flow of any sort
He (though his boss) clearly WANT to ground and pound. But they don’t have the horses on the line or decent tail backs to do that. So once that immediately fails, they have no plan B. Hence the appearance of no identity.

Reactions: pierre93 and 303vND

Lol. No coordinator can destroy a program. That's absurd. And your "old fart lifeline" reference could also be used to describe Mark Whipple to a T.

Pitt didn't really have a good thing going. They had Kenny Pickett & Jordan Addison. Two great college talents that reached their peak in the same year. There was nothing in the pipeline to keep it going. The "good thing" was over when their run was over.

And after Kenny departed, what one reason would there be for Mark Whipple to hand around? His $600K per year salary? I don't think so.

you forgot the biggest problem. Offensive line is a total mess.

It was a dumbass game plan. Whoever thought Saturday was good time to open up the offense or take the training wheels off the QB needs their head examined. That played right into NDs hands.

Pitt hasn't tackled well all year. It was especially bad Saturday. I think a big part of it is just athleticism. The front seven is the weakest it's been in years. They do not play near as fast as in recent years.

exactly. ND is strong in pass defense, so what do we do? Come out throwing. And then when Hammond got a little something going, the old familiar illegal procedure comes along and starts a drive at 1st and 15 and killed the small momentum we did have.

I've never been as big a Cignetti hater as many here are. I think he is an average coordinator. You give him top talent he will produce results. He's not the type to turn chickensht into chicken salad. But as you said the game plan Saturday was inexcusable, and the lack of discipline and player development is very discouraging. This one really soured me on him

I dont think anyone quit at all. Like not at all.

But, your point of poor tackling is spot on. We have been spoiled lately with some awesome tacklers, Dennis was magnificent, and we really lack that\, especially against the big dogs, like NDs running back was. I think the team was way down the way the refs stole the WF game and made the season legit bad. This loss cemented it. A win somehow against FSU makes up for it, but the odds of that happening are slim and none.

Anyways, the tackling is bad, but we did replace a ton of talent the past 2 years, and no one, not even homer me, had any hope the defense was going to be as good this year. The season is a bust due to the absolute horrendous QB play and the decimation of the Oline. I do think there is hope, we do have a decent Oline when healthy and if those guys come back next year and we have a QB that can hit some of our WR, who actually seem good, I fully expect Narduzzi will have the D playing great again (track record of that), and we should be back on track.

Reactions: sonofabit
Lol. No coordinator can destroy a program. That's absurd. And your "old fart lifeline" reference could also be used to describe Mark Whipple to a T.

Pitt didn't really have a good thing going. They had Kenny Pickett & Jordan Addison. Two great college talents that reached their peak in the same year. There was nothing in the pipeline to keep it going. The "good thing" was over when their run was over.

And after Kenny departed, what one reason would there be for Mark Whipple to hand around? His $600K per year salary? I don't think so.

Tell me you don't follow Pitt football without telling me you don't follow Pitt football.

Addison was here when Cignetti arrived. It's been said many times that Cignetti was the primary catalyst in him leaving. You can choose to believe that or not but he was here.

And Mumpfield is a lot better than people think. It was a battle to land him in the portal. Same with Slovis, although I won't go to bat too hard for him. But we played 13 games last season and easily had more talent than 11 of those teams.

4th round draft pick at left tackle (only shut it down once the season became meaningless)
Biletnikoff winner and 1st round draft pick at WR (obviously left before the season)
2nd team All ACC left guard
1st team All ACC running back; 5th round draft pick
Mumpfield
Bartholomew
Hammond
1,000-yard receiver in Wayne (2nd Team All ACC)
Future NFL'er Goncalves (3rd team All ACC)
And a defense with 5 NFL draft picks, which is always an offense's best friend.

Don't tell me Cignetti didn't inherit a talented offense, because he did. He blew it to Hell. Because he sucks.

Whipple gets no pass, because he brought in nobody at the QB position in 3 years. Pretty much why they are where they are.

However, Cignetti hasn't done a damn thing to improve the position either. He ruined the season with the inability to realize Phil couldn't throw a forward pass. It's now evident that he's brought in jack sh!t during his time here.

Cig gets no more rope from me. He's hung himself a few times over.

So we're recruiting a bunch of dumbasses or stupid coaches that can't communicate?

It's football, not rocket surgery.

Hmm, you'll have to point me toward a rocket that has had a surgical procedure.

The dumbass is the guy up in the booth, who was a lame duck at a lousy program.

Reactions: 303vND

Some of that is true. But it’s not (just) who you get rid of, it’s who you replace him with. Pitt is very good at getting RID of guys but has no thought or commitment to UPGRADING (or even equaling) what we push out.

Some of that is true. But it’s not (just) who you get rid of, it’s who you replace him with. Pitt is very good at getting RID of guys but has no thought or commitment to UPGRADING (or even equaling) what we push out.
Mark Whipple wasn't coming back.

But I think you're on to something here. Now keep going and apply that logic to Kenny Pickett, Jordan Addison, Izzy Abanikanda. Were any of those guys replaced with players of better talent? Equal talent? Anything remotely close to equal talent?

Last edited:
Poor tackling stems generally from being a step slow. You have to do more reaching and arm tackling because you can't get to the spot you need to be in time. Also the D-line isn't nearly as stout allowing the opposition to often get to our backers untouched through the hole. The talent level has definitely deteriorated on both sides of the ball. It so sad we are here only 2 seasons removed from an ACC title.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT