ADVERTISEMENT

Do we agree its better for UNC to beat Duke?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
For the purposes of this thread, lets say UVa beats Lou, Clem beats ND, and Miami beats Pitt. When you flip over to the end of UNC/Duke, who are you rooting for? A UNC win gives us a double bye and a game vs Duke on Thursday. But it also gives UNC a Q1 win and if they win a couple games in Greensboro, could jump us. A Duke win gives us a Wednesday game with the FSU/GT winner. Do we want to avoid that game at all cost or does winning that game help our resume while getting the team lathered up to play Duke the next day?

Reactions: LVNVPanther
For the purposes of this thread, let’s say UVa beats Lou, Clem beats ND, and Miami beats Pitt. When you flip over to the end of UNC/Duke, who are you rooting for? A UNC win gives us a double bye and a game vs Duke on Thursday. But it also gives UNC a Q1 win and if they win a couple games in Greensboro, could jump us. A Duke win gives us a Wednesday game with the FSU/GT winner. Do we want to avoid that game at all cost or does winning that game help our resume while getting the team lathered up to play Duke the next
State owns the tiebreaker over UNC, so UNC will finish 7 and play VT if they beat Duke. There’s a good chance VT beats them.

I think avoiding a sure elimination game Wednesday and making the quarters is a better path. The risk/reward for playing Wednesday falls on the side of risk because another Q3/4 win doesn’t help Pitt and a loss would be fatal. Losing to both Miami and Duke, who have high NETs and would be q1 losses could still get Pitt to Dayton if the games are relatively close.

Last edited:
Reactions: gary2
For the purposes of this thread, lets say UVa beats Lou, Clem beats ND, and Miami beats Pitt. When you flip over to the end of UNC/Duke, who are you rooting for? A UNC win gives us a double bye and a game vs Duke on Thursday. But it also gives UNC a Q1 win and if they win a couple games in Greensboro, could jump us. A Duke win gives us a Wednesday game with the FSU/GT winner. Do we want to avoid that game at all cost or does winning that game help our resume while getting the team lathered up to play Duke the next day?
Want the double bye

nC State owns the tiebreaker over UNC, so UNC will finish 7 and play VT if they beat Duke. There’s a good chance VT beats them.

I think avoiding a sure elimination game Wednesday and making the quarters and playing Duke is a better path. The risk/reward for playing Wednesday falls on the side of risk because another Q3/4 win doesn’t help Pitt and a loss would be fatal. Losing to both Miami and Duke, who have high NETs and would be q1 losses could still get Pitt to Dayton if the games are relatively close.
Duke will kill us though. Do you want the committee talking about us and seeing a loss at ND, a loss at Miami and a blowout loss to Duke as our last 3 games? I sure don't.

Duke will kill us though. Do you want the committee talking about us and seeing a loss at ND, a loss at Miami and a blowout loss to Duke as our last 3 games? I sure don't.

So you'd rather play FSU/GT on Wednesday and then get killed by Duke as you see it? I don't think the FSU/GT helps at all.

Reactions: gary2
So you'd rather play FSU/GT on Wednesday and then get killed by Duke as you see it? I don't think the FSU/GT helps at all.

Only thing I could see it helping would be the human perception of not ending on a 3-game losing streak. I definitely don't see it impressing the computers.

If I had a 100% guarantee that Pitt would win the 12/13 game, I might root for Duke because I don’t think UNC could pass us without the auto-bid.

But, it’s far from a 100% lock, so, you root for UNC, get the double bye.

Remember, Wake - who was left out last year - lost in the 5-12 game. They might very well make it without the bad loss.

Wake didn’t have the quad 1/2 wins as Pitt last year. I want UNC to lose. We need bubble teams to lose. If UNC and Pitt are close, humans with money taking UNC. UNC does not have any bad losses. It won’t take much for them to pass us if we lose at Miami.

Right now 7-11 quad 1/2 due to harder OOC schedule and 12-0 quad 3/4

Pitt at 7-7 quad 1/2 and 14-2 quad 3/4. You really want them to be 8-11 SMF when Pitt could be 6-8 if they lose to Miami and Cuse drops? UNC already with higher NET as well.

Wake didn’t have the quad 1/2 wins as Pitt last year. I want UNC to lose. We need bubble teams to lose. If UNC and Pitt are close, humans with money taking UNC. UNC does not have any bad losses. It won’t take much for them to pass us if we lose at Miami.

Right now 7-11 quad 1/2 due to harder OOC schedule and 12-0 quad 3/4

Pitt at 7-7 quad 1/2 and 14-2 quad 3/4. You really want them to be 8-11 SMF when Pitt could be 6-8 if they lose to Miami and Cuse drops? UNC already with higher NET as well.
Wake had 7 Q1/Q2 wins last year. Unless I’m mistaken, we have…..7. The exact same

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT