ADVERTISEMENT

Double bye scenarios if we lose our last 2

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Dont like to think that way but the only way that I think we are in danger of missing the NCAAT is if we have to play Wednesday and then lose to VT/FSU/GT. Heck, we'd probably only be a 2-3 point favorite over VT. They are as talented as we are, if not moreso.

So if we lose last 2:

- Miami gets a double bye
- UVa/Clemson winner gets a double bye (assume they both win Saturday to finish 15-5 and 14-6)
- Duke gets to 14-6 by beating NC State and UNC

3 way tie for 3rd place (2 get double bye)

if its Duke/Clemson/Pitt, the mini-conference standings are

1. Clemson (2-0)
2. Duke (1-1)
3. Pitt (0-2) so Pitt gets 5 seed

if its Duke/Virginia/Pitt, they would all be 1-1 vs each other so it goes to the next tiebreaker which is their record vs top seed (Miami, who would get the tiebreaker over Clemson)

1. Duke 1-1
2. Pitt 1-1
3. UVa 0-1

UVa gets the 5 seed. I think then it goes back to head to head for Pitt/Duke so Duke gets 3 and we get 4. I wouldn’t love playing UVa or NC State in our 1st ACCT game but I dont think a loss there knocks us out though I'd be nervous on Selection Sunday because you never know.

So, if this is correct, we clinch a double bye if Clemson wins at Virginia tonight or if NC State wins at Duke.

Talk about a loser mentality post…Just win and we’re good

Edit: *I changed my tune, solid analysis. Good post SMF.

Last edited:
Reactions: jctrack and upj87
I think we are in even with 0-3, but likely Dayton in that scenario. Most teams that are 9 seeds and lower will also lose more games (ala Nevada last night).

Only my man smf could come up with this. Next one. “ How a nuclear holocaust would affect our NET “

I was trying to figure out what I needed to root for tonight. I'd like to have the double bye locked up tonight. So root for Clemson and NC State. I kind of figured this post would trigger people which is strange but whatever

Dont like to think that way but the only way that I think we are in danger of missing the NCAAT is if we have to play Wednesday and then lose to VT/FSU/GT. Heck, we'd probably only be a 2-3 point favorite over VT. They are as talented as we are, if not moreso.

So if we lose last 2:

- UVa/Clemson winner gets a double bye (assume they both win Saturday to finish 15-5 and 14-6)

1. Clemson (2-0)
2. Duke (1-1)

if its Duke/Virginia/Pitt, they would all be 1-1 vs each other so it goes to the next tiebreaker which is their record vs top seed (Miami, who would get the tiebreaker over Clemson)

1. Duke 1-1
2. Pitt 1-1
3. UVa 0-1

UVa gets the 5 seed. I think then it goes back to head to head for Pitt/Duke so Duke gets 3 and we get 4. I wouldn’t love playing UVa or NC State in our 1st ACCT game but I dont think a loss there knocks us out though I'd be nervous on Selection Sunday because you never know.

So, if this is correct, we clinch a double bye if Clemson wins at Virginia tonight or if NC State wins at Duke.
If Eleanor Roosevelt had wings and could have flown, would she have bombed Berlin? So many hypotheticals to tackle, so few SMF posts...

So if we lose last 2:

1. Clemson (2-0)
2. Duke (1-1)

1. Duke 1-1
2. Pitt 1-1
3. UVa 0-1

I was also thinking through this but the downside is we probably lose a Q1 home win if UVA loses tonight and drops below 30 (they are 28). In the final result, our home ACC schedule might not have provided a single opportunity for a Q1 win.

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out what I needed to root for tonight. I'd like to have the double bye locked up tonight. So root for Clemson and NC State. I kind of figured this post would trigger people which is strange but whatever
Good point on who to root. Also I wouldn’t mind seeing another ACC team get into the tourny. A Clemson win over UVA would help.

I appreciate SMF's efforts here and will regard this thread as a valuable resource as it continues. This will be a four day golf/hoops trip for us, and the sooner the seeding comes into focus the easier planning will become.

A 5 seed means scrounging for early morning tee times on both Wednesday and Thursday. A 4 seed would be the same, but only for Thursday. Unfortunately, a 1 seed just about rules out any golf on Thursday. A 2 or 3 seed would be ideal for golf, but I could never root for Pitt to lose to Miami if that's what it ultimately comes down to. An ACC Championship banner would be much preferred over a memento scorecard or souvenir logo ball.

I appreciate SMF's efforts here and will regard this thread as a valuable resource as it continues. This will be a four day golf/hoops trip for us, and the sooner the seeding comes into focus the easier planning will become.

A 5 seed means scrounging for early morning tee times on both Wednesday and Thursday. A 4 seed would be the same, but only for Thursday. Unfortunately, a 1 seed just about rules out any golf on Thursday. A 2 or 3 seed would be ideal for golf, but I could never root for Pitt to lose to Miami if that's what it ultimately comes down to. An ACC Championship banner would be much preferred over a memento scorecard or souvenir logo ball.

I would like to go to bed tonight knowing we clinched a double bye, and in my mind, the NCAA Tournament. It would take some of the pressure off in watching the game tomorrow because I would not think that even if we lose to ND, Miami, and Duke/NC State, that would be enough to knock us out. Though, I'd hate to land in Dayton.....so maybe I'll still have anxiety watching the games.

Awful night for Pitt. They may lose a q2 win with the Cuse blowout making us 6-7. Clemson likely not back to quad 3 loss. BC likely up to Q3 win. But tomorrow must win or likely Dayton.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Awful night for Pitt. They may lose a q2 win with the Cuse blowout making us 6-7. Clemson likely not back to quad 3 loss. BC likely up to Q3 win. But tomorrow must win or likely Dayton.
Pitt UVA win stayed Q1.

I don't think Syracuse will drop enough to be Q3. They'd have to drop 20 spots. That's a lot.

Pitt UVA win stayed Q1.

I don't think Syracuse will drop enough to be Q3. They'd have to drop 20 spots. That's a lot.
It is. But they also lost by 20 at home to a quad 4 team. It’s easier to rise and fall in the low ranks than high and if the Net factors in blowouts, then losing by that much to quad 4 team at home is not good. Ideally they stay above 135 and BC moves up to quad 3 for us.

I would like to go to bed tonight knowing we clinched a double bye, and in my mind, the NCAA Tournament. It would take some of the pressure off in watching the game tomorrow because I would not think that even if we lose to ND, Miami, and Duke/NC State, that would be enough to knock us out. Though, I'd hate to land in Dayton.....so maybe I'll still have anxiety watching the
Dayton if they lose 3 in a row.
How about NC State ? Seems like they could be a Dayton candidate also is they lose their first tourney game. Looks like the 5 seed might face a hot GT team.

They are in at this point and will avoid Dayton as well. It’s ridiculous to suggest that a team that is 15-4 since December 7th and is in 1st place in its conference is still on the bubble. It’s utter insanity to me.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT