ADVERTISEMENT

Every Utah player getting a $61,000 truck

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Insurance also covered. Lease expires when their eligibility expires. Wished we can just the non-sense and pay the kids real salaries.

If I had money, tell you what I'd do. Go downtown and buy a mercury or two.

Utah walk-on riding to practice alongside the starting middle linebacker.

On one hand, this money is absolutely ruining college football.

On the other hand, these players are the reason why people watch.

Solution? There isn't a good one.

The solution is make them employees and pay them salaries. That would prevent most of the fanboy NIL deals. I am not opposed to boosters giving kids money and cars. But I am opposed to the NCAA saying this isnt pay for play and these kids are still amateurs

salaries paid to players from the massive TV contracts the conferences get. Ridiculous it falls on the fans to fund this

Reactions: Rupart33
Correct me if I'm wrong but the University of Utah fans and students are predominantly non-Mormon. And BYU and Utah hate each other
They still make up a massive portion of the student body, it used to be like 2/3 of the students. Now it's apparently a little over 1/3

Correct me if I'm wrong but the University of Utah fans and students are predominantly non-Mormon. And BYU and Utah hate each other
Lived in SLC for 3 years.

Most kids at UU are in state.

75% of state is Mormon

Certainly BYU has a higher
Mormon enrollment but the U is also mostly Mormon

Insurance also covered. Lease expires when their eligibility expires. Wished we can just the non-sense and pay the kids real salaries.
After taking into account the invoice price and a 50% residual, this equates to about an $8000 per year benefit. I'm sure everyone will be foregoing the NFL Draft for that.

I used to think booing student-athletes was a disgusting act, it’s free game now! They are truly professionals at this point.

You’re wrong. The student body is about 40% Mormon making LDS the predominant religious affiliation of Utah students.

I can hardly wait to see how happy these guys are on April 15th when their accountant informs them that they have to pay income tax (with real money) for the value of their truck lease (plus whatever other NIL goodies they've received).

Are the players why “we” watch?

I don’t know, I think I watch for the schools, the pageantry, which is changing a bit for the worse…

I think if the D1 athlete joined a minor league of some sorts and was replaced with a D3 caliber athlete that I’d still watch college football and not ever watch minor league or developmental pro ball.

I don’t know, I think I watch for the schools, the pageantry, which is changing a bit for the worse…

I think if the D1 athlete joined a minor league of some sorts and was replaced with a D3 caliber athlete that I’d still watch college football and not ever watch minor league or developmental pro ball.

That's part of it, but if everyone was replaced with D3 athletes who had no hope of playing in the NFL, then nobody would watch.

I can hardly wait to see how happy these guys are on April 15th when their accountant informs them that they have to pay income tax (with real money) for the value of their truck lease (plus whatever other NIL goodies they've received).

The funny thing is that the NCAA will say this isnt pay for play. Yet, if the player transfers, they lose the car. Lets say the player goes to BYU or Utah State. Heck, lets say its a Heisman-caliber dude who decides he wants to play for BYU or Utah State. He'd still lose the car even though that player would be very marketable. This is the very definition of pay for play. I mean its all pay for play. Even the Alliance 412 $10K/year salaries. But the NCAA has decided to get out of the enforcement game.

Ever been to a DII or DIII game? The history and pageantry exist in large part because of the players.

Ever been to a DII or DIII game? The history and pageantry exist in large part because of the players.
I don’t disagree that the level of play isn’t the same. And my opinion isn’t the same as many others.

However the level of play at D3 certainly is governed by size and speed but they also have many less scholarships and I’d imagine much less practice time with worse coaching.

It wouldn’t be the same but it’d be good ball.

That's part of it, but if everyone was replaced with D3 athletes who had no hope of playing in the NFL, then nobody would watch.
To each their own. Maybe you wouldn't and most others wouldn't, but I would still watch. Attendance might go from 40k to 10k, but I would be one of the 10k.

To each their own. Maybe you wouldn't and most others wouldn't, but I would still watch. Attendance might go from 40k to 10k, but I would be one of the 10k.

If the best several thousand players went to some pro minor league but the NCAA teams backfilled with D2/D3 level players, I'd still watch and would be a way bigger fan of this new lesser-skilled NCAA than watching better players play for the Birmingham Bees or the Omaha Tigers.

Can we just imagine the vitriol among the Pitt admin if some boosters entity embarked to do with with the football players (and not also non-rev athletes). Especially if they were ICE pickup trucks.

This is likely only one of hundreds of deals like this going down that we heard of. And Utah is a crap program relatively compared to the SEC or B10 programs, so imagine what they are getting (with their media being compliant and quiet about it).

Meanwhile it took Pitt boosters 3 painstaking years to get Pitt to be ok that the players get a mere few thousand bucks. Pitt would blow its gourds if something like this deal emerged, and it wasn’t also given to the gals.

“And where will they PARK all those dreadful VEHICLES???”

This is the main reason for pessimism right now (well, other than the awful play on the field this season). We were already behind when cheating was illegal; now it is right out in the open

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT