ADVERTISEMENT

Expansion, AGAIN.

Yeah and the Big 10 and SEC rule the roost everyone one else is just an afterthought.
Everyone that had a legit football program left and joined another conference. Pitt has one of the most historic football programs in the country. Anyone with a brain would have made the same move and joined the ACC.

The ACC has won numerous national titles in football and basketball over the last 10 years.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Everyone that had a legit football program left and joined another conference. Pitt has one of the most historic football programs in the country. Anyone with a brain would have made the same move and joined the ACC.

The ACC has won numerous national titles in football and basketball over the last 10 years.
Yeah and how's that working out for you. The Big and SEC are going to go to 20 teams each snd Pitt won't be one of then.

Yeah and how's that working out for you. The Big and SEC are going to go to 20 teams each snd Pitt won't be one of then.
It’s working well. Thanks for asking. Nobody knows for sure how things will look in the future, but even if it stops at 40 there will be a lot of good football/basketball programs out there that we can join with and it will be a better overall sports conference than the Big East.

As a Providence fan, you arent allowed on a college sports website. You're irrelevant. Beat it
Lol Talk about irrelevant has Pitt basketball finished above 10th place in the acc any year? Providence was in the sweet 16 last year so don't quite think we are irrelevant.

As a Providence fan, you arent allowed on a college sports website. You're irrelevant. Beat it
Lol Talk about irrelevant has Pitt basketball finished above 10th place in the acc any year? Providence was in the sweet 16 last year so don't quite think we are irrelevant.
I think these two posts pretty much sum up why the original Big East’s demise was inevitable. The differences in perspective are kinda funny.

A moment of success and Providence fans crawl out of the woodwork. I see nothing has changed in our absence at least.

I would love nothing more than to go to a basketball-centered conference but that’s absolutely foolish thinking for us. If you want to stay hopeful that ND saves the ACC or the Big 10 offers us a seat that’s certainly fine, but my outlook sees the dissolution of the ACC as the most likely eventuality. In that event, we should probably all wrap our heads around a “best of the rest” scenario where we pull in WVU, maybe Cincy, and even look back at UConn or even gauge Villanova’s interest in elevating their football program. It’s not going to rival the Big 10/SEC, but a league with WVU, VT, Cincy, NC State, BC, Syracuse, UConn, etc. would take us somewhat back to our geographic history. If you can keep one or both of Duke and UNC, that’s actually got the makings of a pretty good hoops league that would/should put us back ahead of the Big East and equal or surpass whatever the Big 12/PAC cobble together.

A moment of success and Providence fans crawl out of the woodwork. I see nothing has changed in our absence at least.

I would love nothing more than to go to a basketball-centered conference but that’s absolutely foolish thinking for us. If you want to stay hopeful that ND saves the ACC or the Big 10 offers us a seat that’s certainly fine, but my outlook sees the dissolution of the ACC as the most likely eventuality. In that event, we should probably all wrap our heads around a “best of the rest” scenario where we pull in WVU, maybe Cincy, and even look back at UConn or even gauge Villanova’s interest in elevating their football program. It’s not going to rival the Big 10/SEC, but a league with WVU, VT, Cincy, NC State, BC, Syracuse, UConn, etc. would take us somewhat back to our geographic history. If you can keep one or both of Duke and UNC, that’s actually got the makings of a pretty good hoops league that would/should put us back ahead of the Big East and equal or surpass whatever the Big 12/PAC cobble together.
There will be plenty of big time schools not invited to the party ( especially for Fb ) and Pitt will be one of those . What’s left will be fine for the level of investment Pitt wants to allocate to athletics. They’ve shown no interest in seriously stepping up to the level that OSU , Alabama and PSU’s of the world invest in attempting to win Fb games .

I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see separate super conferences for Fb and bb . Why would anyone want to cut Duke UNC & Kentucky in on the Fb money ?

Imagine what a mess college athletics would become if it wasn’t all about the student athlete and just about the money !

There will be plenty of big time schools not invited to the party ( especially for Fb ) and Pitt will be one of those . What’s left will be fine for the level of investment Pitt wants to allocate to athletics. They’ve shown no interest in seriously stepping up to the level that OSU , Alabama and PSU’s of the world invest in attempting to win Fb games .

I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see separate super conferences for Fb and bb . Why would anyone want to cut Duke UNC & Kentucky in on the Fb money ?

Imagine what a mess college athletics would become if it wasn’t all about the student athlete and just about the money !
That’s why I’ve believed for a while now that football should be in separate leagues than the rest of the department. Let football have their nationwide super-leagues while everyone else reverts to regionally-based conferences with traditional rivals. Football makes more money and the school saves on travel costs for everyone else… seems like a win/win in my opinion.

Lol Yeah and how's your basketball team doing. You were number one in the country and a national power in the old Big East. All the schools that left have hit the skids basketball wise. With the possible exception of Louisville.
That had zero to do with changing conferences. That had 100% with chasing out a coach by an idiot AD.

That’s why I’ve believed for a while now that football should be in separate leagues than the rest of the department. Let football have their nationwide super-leagues while everyone else reverts to regionally-based conferences with traditional rivals. Football makes more money and the school saves on travel costs for everyone else… seems like a win/win in my opinion.
The issue with that is that Pitt would not be agreeable to shortchange its non-revenue mens and women’s sports in that manner. Pitt is committed to having them compete at the highest level, just like football and men’s basketball. If anything, it’s these sports that have Pitt brass anxious about what is going on right now, probably more than most other universities that just grudgingly drag those sports along for the ride.

The issue with that is that Pitt would not be agreeable to shortchange its non-revenue mens and women’s sports in that manner. Pitt is committed to having them compete at the highest level, just like football and men’s basketball. If anything, it’s these sports that have Pitt brass anxious about what is going on right now, probably more than most other universities that just grudgingly drag those sports along for the ride.
With the ACC money they are currently receiving they can fund the non revenue sports , but I doubt they would continue to fund them at this level if revenue takes a serious hit in the future . You can’t spend money you don’t have .

With the ACC money they are currently receiving they can fund the non revenue sports , but I doubt they would continue to fund them at this level if revenue takes a serious hit in the future . You can’t spend money you don’t have .
That’s correct, and I’ve said that THIS is the issue that is likely keeping the Pitt brass awake at night these last few days…not so much how it might ruin football. I fervently hope they recognize, if not appreciate, how football drives all the buses.

I’ve said that THIS is the issue that is likely keeping the Pitt brass awake at night these last few days

And much like SMF with some of his posts, if you keep saying it you might even convince yourself.

Seriously, if you don't think that the people in charge at Pitt know that football is by far the most important part of the athletic department then you have lost your mind.

I said then and still say that if any Pitt player gets in trouble, they should immediately call their coach and the coach should get to the scene ASAP. Pgh cops aren't doing Pitt athletes any favors like State College PD, Tuscaloosa PD, etc
And again, that is a stupid, moronic comment. NO head coach would ever be at the scene of a crime. Players have phone numbers of lawyers and someone else on staff to contact when they get in trouble. The last HC to meddle when players got in trouble was Foge 38 years ago but those players got in trouble in Oakland and the coaches lived in Oakland and was way before cell phone cameras.

West Virginia makes sense although USC and UCLA have now demonstrated there is no distance to great to align themselves. PAC 10 implodes from here. Go get UA and ASU. Getting A&M to jump to the ACC is a big deal.
Yes, but you it is easier to get from Columbus to LA than Columbus to Lincoln.

Basketball is getting yanked around like it doesn't even matter! This realignment is completely FB driven! Also BB can be all independents and it would not matter much!

Wishful thinking...maybe my dream scenario...but maybe someone gets smart and realizes USC volleyball shouldn't be playing Rutgers on a Wednesday night...or...UCLA women's soccer versus Penn State on a Tuesday. Travel and logistic nightmares....already it has been getting crazy enough.

Maybe football can just separate on its own. Somehow have 6 power conferences. 11 teams each...play 10 conference games and 2 non-conference games. 12 total...then an 8 team national championship playoff and 29 'bowl' games for the other 58 teams to get a 13th game at various locations over a 2-week period around the holidays. That would be a massive TV rights deal as each week there are top games.

For basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse and olympic sports...align with what makes sense. Traditional ACC, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, etc, etc. or realign for more regional and traditional match-ups and areas.

I doubt it will happen because they will just keep spinning in circles, but football should just break off and take advantage of the money that could be out there if they all went as a whole. Essentially a 66-team conference with 6 divisions.

Wishful thinking...maybe my dream scenario...but maybe someone gets smart and realizes USC volleyball shouldn't be playing Rutgers on a Wednesday night...or...UCLA women's soccer versus Penn State on a Tuesday. Travel and logistic nightmares....already it has been getting crazy enough.

Maybe football can just separate on its own. Somehow have 6 power conferences. 11 teams each...play 10 conference games and 2 non-conference games. 12 total...then an 8 team national championship playoff and 29 'bowl' games for the other 58 teams to get a 13th game at various locations over a 2-week period around the holidays. That would be a massive TV rights deal as each week there are top games.

For basketball, baseball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse and olympic sports...align with what makes sense. Traditional ACC, Big East, Big Ten, SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, etc, etc. or realign for more regional and traditional match-ups and areas.

I doubt it will happen because they will just keep spinning in circles, but football should just break off and take advantage of the money that could be out there if they all went as a whole. Essentially a 66-team conference with 6 divisions.
Exactly! This is what I’ve been wanting for a while now. I think it will begin to receive more support now that almost every conference is so widely spread out. Football can split off and generate even more money in its super league while other sports save on expenses trough reduced travel costs. Seems like a win/win.

Exactly! This is what I’ve been wanting for a while now. I think it will begin to receive more support now that almost every conference is so widely spread out. Football can split off and generate even more money in its super league while other sports save on expenses trough reduced travel costs. Seems like a win/win.
Looking strictly at the numbers, for sure the idea makes sense.

But in the world of 2022, universities will be super-sensitive to any setup that appears to be minimizing opportunities for women’s sports.

There’s definitely a subset (maybe not even among the teams themselves, but outside activists) that would be bound to twist the idea negatively; that women sports are not being considered as “worthy enough” to invest in their travel to play the same kinds of higher profile opponents that the football and men’s basketball team get to play.

The financial argument certainly should be the mic drop but we should all realize that in 2022, that might only serve to throw gasoline on the fire. These are universities we’re talking about, after all.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Looking strictly at the numbers, for sure the idea makes sense.

But in the world of 2022, universities will be super-sensitive to any setup that appears to be minimizing opportunities for women’s sports.

There’s definitely a subset (maybe not even among the teams themselves, but outside activists) that would be bound to twist the idea negatively; that women sports are not being considered as “worthy enough” to invest in their travel to play the same kinds of higher profile opponents that the football and men’s basketball team get to play.

The financial argument certainly should be the mic drop but we should all realize that in 2022, that might only serve to throw gasoline on the fire. These are universities we’re talking about, after all.
Maybe in your mind, but you have no idea how anyone would react to that scenario for football. And even if there was a super league for football, why would it mean that teams would be traveling all across the country? They could just as easily realign into geographic conferences, as they have traditionally been. It would save them money on travel expenses as well.

Yes, but you it is easier to get from Columbus to LA than Columbus to Lincoln.
Private charter planes will take care of the teams and I’m sure there will be enterprising companies putting charters together for fans if the demand exists .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT