ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite guitar solo?

This is an impossible question . There are a ton of guitarists out there with which we can choose from . My favorites ? Too many to choose from .
The best ? We could debate that forever . Anyhow . This one is pretty God damned good .

Reactions: bayardstreet
So tough, again personal favs so I actually lean towards the artist and not the individual song.

Hendrix - Voodoo Child, my favorite song of his purely for the guitar
Iommi - Anything from the riff master
Knopfler - Sultans is the standard for a picker
Rhoads - Crazy Trainor any other
Slash - He was very good, hard to pick one

Honorable mention
Hammett
Page
Morello
Eddie V
Chuck Berry

OK. Is this too pedestrian? Nonetheless, I really love this song and the guitar conveys the emotion pretty well.

I used to work with a local musician, Jim Hilton.

He told me he truly appreciated players that were content to ”merely” play great. He hated showboaters.
I’m curious-What were his examples of “showboaters””? Because many guitarists who were “great” players from a technical standpoint weren’t capable of performing the kinds of improvised solo riffs that some of the guitarists who are universally considered to be the greatest of all time are known for.

I’m curious-What were his examples of “showboaters””? Because many guitarists who were “great” players from a technical standpoint weren’t capable of performing the kinds of improvised solo riffs that some of the guitarists who are universally considered to be the greatest of all time are known for.
He didn’t like Gary Moore. I did.

There was a video where Moore did a duet with an old, black blues man.

Jim thought Moore tried to show him up and went over the top. Jim thought Moore was always trying “too hard”.

Moore was his example of what he was talking about. He said there were others but we never got heavy into it.

I always told him the Beatles killed music, Thank God disco arrived to save it. Joking of course.

Last edited:

Whoever started this thread is responsible for distracting me from my work. I started listening to 70's music again and then I found myself bouncing around to this song.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
This is an impossible question . There are a ton of guitarists out there with which we can choose from . My favorites ? Too many to choose from .
The best ? We could debate that forever . Anyhow . This one is pretty God damned good .

This is pretty great.

There are so many styles of guitar play, it is extremely hard to compare them under one roof.

I know this is a best guitarist post, but the drum solo by Keith Moon-on Nilsson’s Jump into the Fire outrageous.....had it blasting on my way home from golf today.....I’m 68 and I still turn it up!
I never knew that was Moon. Love that song, and love The Who.

There are so many styles of guitar play, it is extremely hard to compare them under one roof.
I've been trying to stay away from this thread, because I knew I'd start spending too much time listening to everything I could think of as well as a lot of things that were suggested.

I could listen to slide or bottleneck playing alone for several hours.

Reactions: gary2
I did that just to give you high blood pressure.

You’re wired kinda tight.

In fairness, the thread is labeled Favorite guitar solo. The bass is a guitar, and some bassists had solos. Metallica fans know Cliff had a solo called Anesthesia. Check this out, Cliff's version and then a rendition done by a string bassist from the San Francisco Symphony.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
I used to work with a local musician, Jim Hilton.

He told me he truly appreciated players that were content to ”merely” play great. He hated showboaters.

**** Jim Hilton!

Go big or go home!

**** Jim Hilton!

Go big or go home!
You know Jim?

he was always badmouthing Joe Grushecky. ( in a kidding type of way)

I think Joe was his teen rival?

We were together 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 7 years.

In fairness, the thread is labeled Favorite guitar solo. The bass is a guitar, and some bassists had solos. Metallica fans know Cliff had a solo called Anesthesia. Check this out, Cliff's version and then a rendition done by a string bassist from the San Francisco Symphony.

Bass is like guitar, only better. 😃

You know Jim?

he was always badmouthing Joe Grushecky. ( in a kidding type of way)

I think Joe was his teen rival?

We were together 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for 7 years.

Lol. No, I don’t l, was just being silly.

I'm not really into guitar-heavy music with extended wailing solos and 8-minute track lengths, etc. But I do enjoy the November Rain solo very much. Oh, and although I'm not a fan of the band as a whole, I like the solo at the end of Journey's "Who's Crying Now?".

My thoughts exactly. Not a Journey fan at all, but the outro's on Who's Crying Now and Stone in Love are some of the best ever. Stone in Love also works in the best bass riff during that same outro. As I said, I'm not that big on Journey but those two songs rank up there as some of the best from the 80's (both on the Escape album)

Underrated:
Pipeline: surfer rock rules.
Hotel California
Metallica: one
Rick Ness: Ball and Chain; When the Angels Sing
billy Duffy: she sells sanctuary
Steve stevens: rebel yell
Slash: sweet child o mine
Eddie V: eruption
anything from Roy Clark, George Benson, Ottmar Liebert

Interesting list but I can't really say "eruption" is under-rated at all. One of the most classic solos of all time and always referenced that way.

And with all the old guys hanging around the board I'm surprised not more love given to EddieVan Halen on this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT