ADVERTISEMENT

Fire sale in pittsburgh time

I’d consider trading Pickens if a team gives up a late first, like the Chiefs. Other than that guys will be cut, new players will be signed then additions via the draft. No major trades will happen. Cam could be asked to be cut to play for a chance at a SB somewhere else in 2024 and that’d free up $16 million. That scenario has little chance of happening though.

A 1st Rounder for Pickens? He is an average NFL WR.

Steeler fans should start an NIL collective so they can pay players outside of the salary cap.

A 1st Rounder for Pickens? He is an average NFL WR.

Steeler fans should start an NIL collective so they can pay players outside of the salary cap.

I mentioned this last year. What's stopping people from doing that? If TB12 can funnel money to Tom Brady for treatment for players, why can't a few business owners agree to entice free agents with promises of advertising dollars that are way above market value?

Maybe the NFL has a rule against deals above fmv, but I'm sure there are creative workarounds. At worst, just do the TB12 thing.

I mentioned this last year. What's stopping people from doing that? If TB12 can funnel money to Tom Brady for treatment for players, why can't a few business owners agree to entice free agents with promises of advertising dollars that are way above market value?

Maybe the NFL has a rule against deals above fmv, but I'm sure there are creative workarounds. At worst, just do the TB12 thing.

Yea, and I said NFL fans don't love their teams like college fans do to do that. I dont see how it would be against the rules though if the NCAA allows it.

I’d consider trading Pickens if a team gives up a late first, like the Chiefs. Other than that guys will be cut, new players will be signed then additions via the draft. No major trades will happen. Cam could be asked to be cut to play for a chance at a SB somewhere else in 2024 and that’d free up $16 million. That scenario has little chance of happening though.
It’s unlikely we get a high draft pick
He’s on his rookie deal
Folks need to accept he’s here 2 more years min

i dont believe this organization believes they are in that desperation mode, when in reality, they really are.. it's just that 9-8 mindset, we are only a game or two away from being there, blah blah blah..

when in reality, that 9-8 record is usually inflated by really bad teams playing their back up qbs in the latter half of the season (look at last year). they will never "rebuild," The steelers are too proud to wave that white flag and it just drags this out longer and longer..

i dont believe this organization believes they are in that desperation mode, when in reality, they really are.. it's just that 9-8 mindset, we are only a game or two away from being there, blah blah blah..

when in reality, that 9-8 record is usually inflated by really bad teams playing their back up qbs in the latter half of the season (look at last year). they will never "rebuild," The steelers are too proud to wave that white flag and it just drags this out longer and longer..
That's the Steelers, they never think about the future beyond the next game, that's why Tomlin is the perfect coach, they take pride in barely scratching out an ugly win with little or no talent, it's never about building something better or scheming a better play or getting in position to get a better player. they were probably embarrassed they had a QB as good as Ben :)

That's the Steelers, they never think about the future beyond the next game, that's why Tomlin is the perfect coach, they take pride in barely scratching out an ugly win with little or no talent, it's never about building something better or scheming a better play or getting in position to get a better player. they were probably embarrassed they had a QB as good as Ben :)
No fanbase is more brainwashed by its team's SOP than Pittsburgh fans. I love the fans who say "We don't need a quarterback, build the trenches." Then those fans educate those pissed off after a loss by saying "The other team has a QB and we don't. It's as simple as that."

No fanbase is more brainwashed by its team's SOP than Pittsburgh fans. I love the fans who say "We don't need a quarterback, build the trenches." Then those fans educate those pissed off after a loss by saying "The other team has a QB and we don't. It's as simple as that."
i've never heard one steeler fan in my life ever say that "we dont need a qb." thats spanning into the 80s, not once..

That's why it took Cowher a dozen years plus to win a Super Bowl and he kept failing with ultra talented teams, ultra talented at every position but QB, he believed erroneously that if you run the ball, play great defense and have a game manager QB who "avoids mistakes" you can win the Super Bowl with that! HE WAS WRONG! Then he finally wins when he has Dan Rooney force him to draft an elite QB, instead of the OT or DB he really wanted to draft.

Reactions: LeftCoastPanther
i've never heard one steeler fan in my life ever say that "we dont need a qb." thats spanning into the 80s, not once..
I see it on Twitter and I've heard it on sports radio enough to last a lifetime.

I clearly remember before the 2004 draft Arrogant Eddie Bouchette writing in the PG "The Steelers don't need a quarterback. They have Maddox and Batch and both are in their early 30s. The team would be better off drafting Dunta Robinson with its 11th overall pick."

Some things you read and never forget, and that's even coming from the former team's beat writer. Imagine never having Ben.

Fans must still be brainwashed by the Noll/Parcells theory If you miss on a quarterback in round one it sets your franchise back 10 years. For six combined Super Bowls those two couldn't have been more wrong.

Reactions: Pitt79
I see it on Twitter and I've heard it on sports radio enough to last a lifetime.

I clearly remember before the 2004 draft Arrogant Eddie Bouchette writing in the PG "The Steelers don't need a quarterback. They have Maddox and Batch and both are in their early 30s. The team would be better off drafting Dunta Robinson with its 11th overall pick."

Some things you read and never forget, and that's even coming from the former team's beat writer. Imagine never having Ben.
lol, wow, what a quote that is. man, talk about freezing cold takes, thats a beautiful one. We dont need a qb, we got maddox and batch lol.

That's why it took Cowher a dozen years plus to win a Super Bowl and he kept failing with ultra talented teams, ultra talented at every position but QB, he believed erroneously that if you run the ball, play great defense and have a game manager QB who "avoids mistakes" you can win the Super Bowl with that! HE WAS WRONG! Then he finally wins when he has Dan Rooney force him to draft an elite QB, instead of the OT or DB he really wanted to draft.
he believed Kordell was an NFL caliber qb and stuck with him way too long. that was Cowher's issue early in his career... just put all his eggs in that basket..

Fans must still be brainwashed by the Noll/Parcells theory If you miss on a quarterback in round one it sets your franchise back 10 years. For six combined Super Bowls those two couldn't have been more wrong.

The Steelers didn't miss on Roethlisberger though. Maybe they meant that if you miss on a QB (like lets say Pickett ends up being a bust), it sets you back 10 years because of the player you could have drafted instead plus other QBs you could have drafted or signed. The bust rate for 1st Round QBs has to be at least 50%. Maybe 75%

he believed Kordell was an NFL caliber qb and stuck with him way too long. that was Cowher's issue early in his career... just put all his eggs in that basket..
Right, even sign Kordell to an extension, because it's cheaper than getting a better QB, more cap money to spend on defense.

We're actually seeing a return to that now and way more extreme, playing full seasons with almost no competent QB play, just going all out to avoid any mistake at all, to hope and pray the defense can barely cling to that 13-10 win at the end. I never thought it could get worse than some of Cowhers ultra conservative years, but here we are. It's disgusting to me.

I'm a Steelers fan going back to the 60s and probably for 30 years I was all in on the run the ball, control the clock and play D BS, then I was seeing the 49ers west coast offense, the Greatest Show on Turf, offenses like that airing it out and scoring a lot, then contrasting to Cowher's weak ass, play scared garbage, and I just changed, that's why I like Maddox more than most do, when he took the job from Kordell and came in and was tossing the ball all over the yard and taking risks and connecting on long passes and TDs it was a breath of fresh air and personally, I was invigorated and awakened by that, I never wanted conservative football ever again, I even think they were too conservative when they had Ben! So clearly you can see why seasons like the last 2 disgust me.

Last edited:
The Steelers didn't miss on Roethlisberger though. Maybe they meant that if you miss on a QB (like lets say Pickett ends up being a bust), it sets you back 10 years because of the player you could have drafted instead plus other QBs you could have drafted or signed. The bust rate for 1st Round QBs has to be at least 50%. Maybe 75%
Parcells did pass on Matt Ryan for Michigan tackle, Jake Long. Talk about a player who faded and is never remembered despite being the top overall pick. That pick set Miami back for sure instead of Ryan making the Fins a lot better.

Right, even sign Kordell to an extension, because it's cheaper than getting a better QB, more cap money to spend on defense.

We're actually seeing a return to that now and way more extreme, playing full seasons with almost no competent QB play, just going all out to avoid any mistake at all, to hope and pray the defense can barely cling to that 13-10 win at the end. I never thought it could get worse than some of Cowhers ultra conservative years, but here we are. It's disgusting to me.

I'm a Steelers fan going back to the 60s and probably for 30 years I was all in on the run the ball, control the clock and play D BS, then I was seeing the 49ers west coast offense, the Greatest Show on Turf, offenses like that airing it out and scoring a lot, then contrasting to Cowher's weak ass, play scared garbage, and I just changed, that's why I like Maddox more than most do, when he took the job from Kordell and came in and was tossing the ball all over the yard and taking risks and connecting on long passes and TDs it was a breath of fresh air and personally, I was invigorated and awakened by that, I never wanted conservative football ever again, I even think they were too conservative when they had Ben! So clearly you can see why seasons like the last 2 disgust me.
Ben is top 15 all time of highest yards per attempt passing in nfl history. the dude threw it longer than any QB we've ever seen in our lifetime in pittsburgh..

i've never understood the false narrative that Ben played conservatively, didnt make any sense. maybe his rookie year when they were giving it to Duce and Bus but that's because we had a great OL, great defense and a rookie qb..

Thru most of his career, we were putting up video game passing numbers. 9 years, he threw for 3800 or more yards, he had 5100 passing yards in 2018 lol.

Ben is top 15 all time of highest yards per attempt passing in nfl history. the dude threw it longer than any QB we've ever seen in our lifetime in pittsburgh..

i've never understood the false narrative that Ben played conservatively, didnt make any sense. maybe his rookie year when they were giving it to Duce and Bus but that's because we had a great OL, great defense and a rookie qb..

Thru most of his career, we were putting up video game passing numbers. 9 years, he threw for 3800 or more yards, he had 5100 passing yards in 2018 lol.
It may be swayed by recency bias. Last cpl years it was one crossing route after another. Possibly because his arm was shot relatively speaking.

It may be swayed by recency bias. Last cpl years it was one crossing route after another. Possibly because his arm was shot relatively speaking.
i think his last year or two, they realized the OL was terrible and he had to get rid of it in under 3 seconds or he was gonna get killed. i remember every game, the announcers would say that ben got rid of it on average of 2.4 seconds and that led the league.

it sucked because yes, you have to throw short quick (conservative) patterns when you have to get rid of it in 2.4 seconds, there isnt enough time to be aggressive downfield even if you wanted too.

I think a lot of his career they opened the game conservatively instead of coming out aggressive, often falling behind and then he compiled a lot of stats coming from behind and that's why he's 3rd all time in 4th quarter comebacks behind only Brady and Peyton.

But but he had the great Tommy Maddox lol

I’m find it interesting how his arm came alive in the fourth quarter when he was running hurry up and not running plays called on the sidelines. No knock at you just an observation. But I agree with your general thought

But but he had the great Tommy Maddox lol
Tommy did save the 2002 season, made it at least a winning season and won a playoff game, he probably had at least 10 games that year superior to Kenny's career best game so far. I think Tommy being able to throw woke them up to the need to pass the ball. He only had one really decent year in his career, I hope Kenny can have a year that good someday.

Tommy did save the 2002 season, made it at least a winning season and won a playoff game, he probably had at least 10 games that year superior to Kenny's career best game so far. I think Tommy being able to throw woke them up to the need to pass the ball. He only had one really decent year in his career, I hope Kenny can have a year that good someday.
yeah, really not getting the Maddox hate. not great but better than guys like Kent Graham, Jim Miller, Malone and even Mike Tomczyk..

Reactions: Pitt79
yeah, really not getting the Maddox hate. not great but better than guys like Kent Graham, Jim Miller, Malone and even Mike Tomczyk..
He had a better arm than all of them, his downfall was that the rest of his body was as athletic as his day job when he was out of football, insurance agent.

Mack was 27. Watt will be 30. How many teams still run a 3-4? Can Watt play DE in a 4-3? The Steelers would be very lucky to get a first round pick for him

It's a hilarious joke how the Steelers can't change anything ever. I remember in the early 80s, teams were going to the 3-4 and the Steelers where always 4-3 and it was like oh no! We can never be 3-4! Oh my God the sky is falling, they went to 3-4 :)
Steelers are in nickel or dime defense at least 75% of the time. Watt is essentially a 9 tech.

i cant stop watching pickens effort on run blocking lol.

You expect heavy run blocking from across the field , which is more likely to result in a holding call?
Watch how be blocked when the play is going his way - that’s more important .
And he’s pretty darned effective as a blocker

On the list of problems with the offense / Pickens isn’t in the top 10 reasons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT