ADVERTISEMENT

Florida State Game & Other Dribbles ...

Roster lists Toney as 6-6--but, he might be a short 6-6 (6-5.5 or so?) vs Champagnie being a ligit 6-6 (or a tad more?). Champagnie might still be growing a little, also. McGowens added an inch over his freshman year (went from 6-3 out of HS to 6-4 now).

Champ looks to me at least 2 inches taller than Toney.

Other than horrendous shooting, I thought Toney played pretty well otherwise.

Is Coulibaly a possible redshirt, if they think Chukwuka will be healthy by January 1?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
I’m guessing that your comment is not specifically addressed to me as I’m a big Toney fan and I completely agree with your comments.

The only thing that should be added, however, is that last night, there really wasn’t much of a drop off defensively when Toney was out. Everyone defended well — even Ryan.
No I wasn’t directing the comment to you. I just wanted to build him up. He’s very young with great defensive instincts and athleticism. He creates offense with his defense, which the others do not.

Audise Toney is an ELITE defender. He has to play. He can guard 2-4 without a problem. Has to become the next Jaron Brown. Not sure if he has the offensive IQ yet. He’s so young. Remember JB redshirted.
I’m sorry, but I have to disagree with you. He is a good defender (not elite), but a big liability on the offensive end. He couldn’t put the ball in the ocean last night. He was a poor shooter last year, and looks to have gotten worse. He hustles and rebounds, but cannot finish around the rim. His passing is nowhere near as good as Jaron Brown. I hope he becomes a Jaron Brown type player, but he has a long ways to go.

Reactions: FireballZ and 4upmc
I’m guessing that your comment is not specifically addressed to me as I’m a big Toney fan and I completely agree with your comments.

The only thing that should be added, however, is that last night, there really wasn’t much of a drop off defensively when Toney was out. Everyone defended well — even Ryan.
Still gotta score, DT. I like the kid's toughness, but we're pretty low on shooting from ANY distance, including the stripe...not just the arc. I'm guessing he'll lose PT to Justin and maybe Gerald. We seem to have guys who battle inside....something missing under Stallings.
And a special shoutout to #2 for that huge rebound late in the game, just ripped away from the bigger opponent. A manly act.

Still gotta score, DT. I like the kid's toughness, but we're pretty low on shooting from ANY distance, including the stripe...not just the arc. I'm guessing he'll lose PT to Justin and maybe Gerald. We seem to have guys who battle inside....something missing under Stallings.
And a special shoutout to #2 for that huge rebound late in the game, just ripped away from the bigger opponent. A manly act.
No doubt. But AD is certainly a better offensive player than he showed last night.

** 1342 Days!

** It’s been that long since our Panthers have sported a record above the .500 mark in conference play. That’s far too long in my mind!

** We are a long way from knowing whether our Panthers can end this campaign above .500 in the ACC. But the curiosity of opening this season with a conference game offered this unique chance to end this particular notorious streak.

** There are other streaks that the Panthers must end. It’s been almost as long since we’ve won an ACC road game, for example. But ending that one comes later.

** Speaking for myself, I can’t say how long it’s been since I’ve had so much fun watching a game at the Pete. This one was such an absolute blast to watch.

** Last year’s wins against the Noles and the Cards were great too. But there was a certain tension to those games that somehow didn’t exist tonight.

** This wasn’t at all stressful. It was just a blast.

** Perhaps it’s been over 2,000 days or so since the Panther Hoopers have won a rock fight. We used to always win rock fights. We won a rock fight tonight. What a blast it was.

** If HC Jeff Capel truly wants a pack of junkyard dogs to take the court at the Pete, that’s what he got tonight. They were never fluid like greyhounds, but they fought and scraped for everything they could get.

** The Panthers won this game tonight, not because they were the more talented team. They won because they were the tougher team.

** They were the tougher team, both mentally and physically.

** Perhaps at some point during this season, we will call our Panthers the better team because they can run a more fluid offense, hit more shots, or take better care of the ball.

** Tonight the Panthers were the better team because they simply seemed to want this game more than the Noles.

** And when the Noles wanted to run away, the Panthers stood tall, punched them in the face, and yelled “I don’t think so!”

** Feel free to select your own MVP (most valuable Panther) from this game. But I have no problem selecting mine. None other than Coach Capel.

** It wasn’t too difficult to see that Au’Diese and Gerald were struggling, not to mention that Terell was having more success than Eric.

** However, I didn’t necessarily expect Capel to stick with Justin, Terrell, and Ryan all the way to the end. But he did. And all three paid him off.

** Justin’s 2 threes and eight points in the final 10 minutes made all the difference.

** Terrell’s 9 points in the final 12 minutes made all the more difference.

** And Ryan’s points and play the entire game may have made the most difference.

** I don’t know if Ryan can do everything he did tonight on a regular basis. But he certainly trotted out his entire YMCA League All-Star repertoire for all to see this night.

** Just seven days ago, I would not have thought for a moment that Ryan, Justin and Terrell would have ever combine for 34 points to lead the Panthers to any win, let alone a tough ACC win. But they did.

** Perhaps the even better news lies in the knowledge that Au’Diese and Gerald, not to mention Eric will certainly have more productive nights than they offered this evening.

** The best news is that no matter who Coach Capel put on the court this night, they all defended as if their life depended upon it.

** This wasn’t a perfect defensive performance by our Panthers. But it was an extraordinarily tough one. The Panthers were quicker to the ball than the Noles, they were stronger, and were simply more determined.

** This all makes one wonder how good our Panthers will be in they can manage to shoot the ball only about 10 percentage points or so better than they did tonight.

** And the Panthers will shoot it better. Whether they shoot it a little better, or a fair amount more than that will tell us more about whether we can take a serious run at ending the number of days it’s been since we’ve been in an NCAA tournament.

** For now, Congrats to our 1-0, ACC Leading Pittsburgh Panthers.

Honestly, it seemed that FSU thought they had the game won until the last half of the second half. They are so athletic, Hamilton sent them out in waves like a vintage John Thompson team to hack the bloody mess out of the Panthers, and they have a few guys who are pretty good scorers.

But, the Panthers sort of just mucked through it all until the last 10 minutes when they managed to pull ahead a bit, then get across the finish line up two points.

I have been posting pretty regularly that HCJC was going to default to his best players when the game gets tight or to close games out, and X, Trey and Murphy are his three best players - it will be them, the forward and center who are working best that night.

That is how he is going to roll through the ACC schedule most often.

It will certainly be fun being "stuck" over .500 in ACC play for a while ...

Reactions: artp5
Honestly, it seemed that FSU thought they had the game won until the last half of the second half. They are so athletic, Hamilton sent them out in waves like a vintage John Thompson team to hack the bloody mess out of the Panthers, and they have a few guys who are pretty good scorers.

But, the Panthers sort of just mucked through it all until the last 10 minutes when they managed to pull ahead a bit, then get across the finish line up two points.

I have been posting pretty regularly that HCJC was going to default to his best players when the game gets tight or to close games out, and X, Trey and Murphy are his three best players - it will be them, the forward and center who are working best that night.

That is how he is going to roll through the ACC schedule most often.

It will certainly be fun being "stuck" over .500 in ACC play for a while ...
Don't all coaches default to their best down the stretch?? At least the ones who win do that.

Don't all coaches default to their best down the stretch?? At least the ones who win do that.
That was the point, in the context of speculation about how good Murphy was and the thinking that they will use Coulibably and Hamilton at PF a lot ...

That was the point, in the context of speculation about how good Murphy was and the thinking that they will use Coulibably and Hamilton at PF a lot ...
I think Hamilton will be OK. Brown has been erratic in the past, looked OK last night, but Eric is more active. Foul trouble might be the criteria at the 5. Karim is still an unknown, I'm hoping he gets some good PT vs. our cupcakes.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I think Hamilton will be OK. Brown has been erratic in the past, looked OK last night, but Eric is more active. Foul trouble might be the criteria at the 5. Karim is still an unknown, I'm hoping he gets some good PT vs. our cupcakes.

At the very least, Hamilton is a big upgrade over Kene (big heart and good kid, but ...).

As with last night roll with the one who is playing best.

Interesting that AKC did not play at all, but FSU has a lot of springy big men, so maybe not be the best team to try to roll him out on at this point.

DT do you think Florida State will be a tournament team? Did this game change your mind about what you think Pitt will accomplish this season? I mean that win imo was very impressive. The way Trey was rebounding late in the game? He was a friggin beast.
Yes, FSU will be a tournament team IMO. They have depth, size, play defense, have a Senior leader in Forrest and a big time scorer in Vassely!

Capel said he really liked the chemistry so he kept them all in. He get's it.
I agree with Capel. I just disagree with NTOP that it’s common to run with hot hands for 12 minutes straight to close out a game, especially game one in the season

I agree with Capel. I just disagree with NTOP that it’s common to run with hot hands for 12 minutes straight to close out a game, especially game one in the season
Well, I never said that. I remarked that ALL good coaches have their best on the floor at the end of games. Hadn't noticed the 12 minute thing until someone pointed it out.

Maybe we should be asking what would Stallings have done?

Capel has said repeatedly that he does things intuitively based on how things are going in the game. IMHO, its the best away. You can over coach to your detriment by too much planning and by not being flexible enough to stay with certain things as long as they are working--regardless of prior game planning or conventional wisdom.

Reactions: NTOP
Maybe we should be asking what would Stallings have done?

Capel has said repeatedly that he does things intuitively based on how things are going in the game. IMHO, its the best away. You can over coach to your detriment by too much planning and by not being flexible enough to stay with certain things as long as they are working--regardless of prior game planning or conventional wisdom.
Dixon, however great he was, was more of an over thinker/ over coacher than Stallings was. Stallings just mailed it in.

Dixon, however great he was, was more of an over thinker/ over coacher than Stallings was. Stallings just mailed it in.

That is not to say that Capel wouldn't have made changes if that group had lost their chemistry. He just subscribes to the "if it ain't broken--don't try to fix it mentality." But, if it is broken or does break he won't hesitate to make changes. Last night it wasn't broken--except early in the 2nd half before changes.

As much as I liked Dixon, I did think there were times he substituted and curtailed his team's momentum when he could have just left the five on the court continue on for a few more minutes.

Uh-oh, this is turning into a Dixon thread. Sorry.

Reactions: Drew1208
As much as I liked Dixon, I did think there were times he substituted and curtailed his team's momentum when he could have just left the five on the court continue on for a few more minutes.

Uh-oh, this is turning into a Dixon thread. Sorry.
He certainly was a micro-manager. Kept the kids from napping on the bench. :)

Dixon believed in preparation and routine, and using the same approach during games. He wasn’t one for “winging it.”

I haven’t see enough of Capel to know more about where he stands. But leaving the same group for the last 12 minutes likely told us something.

I don’t believe any approach is necessarily better or worse.

Dixon believed in preparation and routine, and using the same approach during games. He wasn’t one for “winging it.”

I haven’t see enough of Capel to know more about where he stands. But leaving the same group for the last 12 minutes likely told us something.

I don’t believe any approach is necessarily better or worse.
Just win, baby. Substance over style, always.

Well, I never said that. I remarked that ALL good coaches have their best on the floor at the end of games. Hadn't noticed the 12 minute thing until someone pointed it out.
Plus it wasn't like 12 strait minutes with the 40 or so timeouts. No way they had a chance to get tired.

Reactions: Drew1208
Plus it wasn't like 12 strait minutes with the 40 or so timeouts. No way they had a chance to get tired.
Lol exactly.
The amount of timeouts. Stops, foul shots, it's almost impossible to get tired.

Common to run with them for a good stretch, not with the exact same 5 for 12 minutes. Unless you are Boeheim of course.

Agree. I’m never one to believe in the “tired” thing to a large extent. Playing 40 minutes is one thing, but 12 straight is something else. Perhaps bigs need a bit more of a blow from wrestling in the paint, but not so much with guards.

What’s noteworthy here is that Capel didn’t go back to Toney, a player he knows and trusts from last year. Almost all coaches tend to go with their perceived horses down the stretch. ADs erratic play made that an easier call, but after Justin missed a three after making his second, I fully expected the sub for Toney there.

As for Terrell, I am very surprised Capel didn’t go back to Hamilton as I don’t think the staff has full confidence in TB.

But on this day, sticking with this lineup was a great call.

He would have also kept the same guys on the court for 12 minutes. Because he would have fallen asleep, and people who are asleep have trouble making lineup changes.

I was being sarcastic, of course. To continue in that vein he would have fallen asleep because he would have had us already behind by at least 20 points with 12 minutes to go.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT