ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1 thoughts....

2 dropped passes.
1 dropped TD pass.
1 drop that was juggled and turned into an interception.
No James Conner. Offense was hit w/ many other injuries.
DiNucci will get in the game next week, but not before it's too late.

All true, but no where near enough to get anointed after week 1. Voytik was much more impressive in his backup bowl appearance and as we all saw later he couldn't play at all.

Reactions: RHS14
The game plan certainly was bad. It also didn't help Browne that his receivers rarely got open.
Weah could have made the same catch for a big 2nd half first down that he made on the TD. If he does, Pitt probably goes up 28-0 and the final score is much different.

#1....I 99.9% support the direction football is going in. .1% end the vanilla ....run the score up on everyone then play guys. F**k PSU or who ever else (we hide plays from)that has no impact on our biggest goal ...ACC champs.

#2 ... Browne is not mobile but he has the biggest arm since Savage.... Without question he needs to target 1 of our 5 Speedsters each quarter. (french, weah, henderson, aj davis, or ford.....yes any player... camp or not can run a vert route)

#3 ... Wriginis and Whitehead must start no questions asked...lb/s both will get better when they return

#4 .... Team will play much better as we had alot of first time starters who will play alot better each game. look for biggest improvement in passing game (no play action deep...PSU its coming... or combacks to big recivers weah or matthews.

Last and most importantly we won ........H2P

I like your thoughts but IMO we're going to be slaughtered Saturday...

Amen..........you would think after getting abused over and over and over again by the same play. Your defensive coordinator would perhaps substitute your very slow linebacker and put in a extra Dback to cover that play. What's really scary was I was at the game and the wheel route wasn't the only play that was open. If their QB waited a extra second or two he would of seen guys running downfield open everywhere. It looks as though none of our safeties know what they are supposed to do. Thus, playing slow and reacting instead of attacking their man.

If kids are confused. That tells me they are not absorbing the coaching they are receiving
In the first game with all of them at a new position or on the field for the first time?
Really...
Listen, their play was sub par to be certain, but concluding that it's because the coaches can't coach/teach AFTER THE FIRST GAME is over the top.

I think that I can be convinced that our offense was vanilla in order to keep our true offense a "secret". I can even be convinced that we stayed in our base defense for the whole game ignorer to keep our defensive wrinkles a "secret".

However, what cannot be explained in a positive light, no matter how gullible I am, is: (1) the number and extent of the blown defensive assignments; (2) the inability to effectively run against a I-AA team in situations where it was critical; and (3) Browne's decision making to throw to covered receivers. Also, and this is yet to be totally clear, but it seemed as though Browne held on to the ball/waited a second too long before passing.

Are these fixable mistakes? I'm still gullible enough to hope that they are.

Reactions: richmin3
HTP, it can be explained. That defense is all young and no experince, except Maddox. Dont you all get it? Look at all the posts on this board before the season. That is all I read, and how they were going to struggle and only win like 5 or 6 games. Now the after the very 1st game you all or in some crazy uproar. Yesterday the cornerbacks played well. They were freshmen at safty. Zeise in his 1st full game experince as a LB kept looking in the backfield and got burned on wheel routes and young safties picking up the TE. That is where Whitehead is supposed to be.

Dont know what to tell you people. They say Ziese is smart, if he is then he learned a valuable lesson, in not looking the QB. Just follow the runningback out of the backfield on that side of the field, when you are in pass coverage. It can be corrected. They simply have take care of their own assignments and not worry about anything else. If they watch the film they can see it. It least yesterday there were WR all running wlde open.

Reactions: pittmeister
TMAC is not who you're going to see if Browne gets the hook, unless Narduzzi lets Steel Curtain pick his QB.

That said it was game 1, let's see how Browne does next week. He certainly wasn't the only one who needs to be better than he was today.

Completely agree with this. Not saying we will put in TMac, just saying I would rather see him play than DiNucci again.

I
In the first game with all of them at a new position or on the field for the first time?
Really...
Listen, their play was sub par to be certain, but concluding that it's because the coaches can't coach/teach AFTER THE FIRST GAME is over the top.
Why is it over the top? We have direct evidence ( last year ) where our pass defense finished 125th out of 127 teams in the country.

Show me evidence where you see Conklin or the Dbacks coach have the ability to correct the problem after watching them the last 2 years?

Last edited:
It's no

Why is it over the top? We have direct evidence ( last year ) where our pass defense finished 125th out of 127 teams in the country.

Show me evidence where you see Conklin or the Dbacks coach have the ability to correct the problem after watching them the last 2 years?

D is going to be bad again , somewhere in the 90s

1. DL looked slow and non aggressive ( NO takles for Hendrix or Edwards)
  2. Quadre looked great in the 1st half
  3. Coordinators must have been eating pizza at halftime
  4. OL got tired the 4th Q
  5. Band was good but NOT mic'd up
  6. 20 shades of blue
  7. 12 shades of yellow
  8. Browne had little protection the 2nd half
  9. Davis is going to be a good one
  10. Student section was packed and noisy the whole game

I

Thanks Don. One day you'll wake up and you'll be the only person in the White House. Our dbacks played well....our safeties and backers...not. Wheel routes are backers on backs. Whitehead screwed over his teammates so the drop in talent level isn't easy to ignore. Unless you are you.

First I don't think we can even say what Browne is after that vanilla game. He was 17-24 passing, not horrible although he did have a bit Tino sunseri in him with the happy feet.

...And with the dumping off of meaningless short/screen passes... which only helped to inflate his pass completion numbers.

Browne does have a stronger and more accurate arm than Sunseri, but Tino was a better runner.

One thing I really liked about Nate last year was that he would admit when he did not play well (and what specific things he didn't do well) and then he'd go to work on his problem areas and get better. It will be interesting to see if Browne will be more like Nate or if he takes the Tino path and makes it like he's played well after every game (for fear of losing his job).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT