ADVERTISEMENT

Game 1 thoughts....

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
#1....I 99.9% support the direction football is going in. .1% end the vanilla ....run the score up on everyone then play guys. F**k PSU or who ever else (we hide plays from)that has no impact on our biggest goal ...ACC champs.

#2 ... Browne is not mobile but he has the biggest arm since Savage.... Without question he needs to target 1 of our 5 Speedsters each quarter. (french, weah, henderson, aj davis, or ford.....yes any player... camp or not can run a vert route)

#3 ... Wriginis and Whitehead must start no questions asked...lb/s both will get better when they return

#4 .... Team will play much better as we had alot of first time starters who will play alot better each game. look for biggest improvement in passing game (no play action deep...PSU its coming... or combacks to big recivers weah or matthews.

Last and most importantly we won ........H2P

Last edited:
A team without any depth shouldn't be forced by the morality police in the Cathedral of Learning to suspend starters, especially future 1st rd picks.

YSU would've had 600 yds offense if they realized quicker how bad Pitt's defense is.

DiNucci will be in the game after halftime next week (at the latest) and he should've gotten a shot to play today.

Great post. Agree 100-% and you will see us go into Happy Valley and throw punches. Nothing was shown today while Ped State ran everything possible on Akron. We will get a W next week.

Reactions: Saboteur
1) Kicker looked horrible, but there is a good chance this can be corrected due to nerves. It is totally reasonable that this can be fixed
2) Browne at QB. He just doesn't have it, I see history repeating, replaced by game 3 by the backup QB. Yes the right side of the O-line looked like crap, but even when he had time, many times he threw into double coverage. His reads were crap for the most part.
3) Center/Right-side of o-line is a disaster. I believe these guys can and will improve.
4) LBs..... It can't get worse. It just can't. And if they can't stop a wheel route from being consistently run on them by a FCS team, well that says it all. I dont see much hope for improvement.
5) DBs, well with the LBs as piss poor as they are, the secondary will look better by comparison as i will be the LB corp giving up most the big pass plays. As such I think the DBs are slightly better, but that is damning with faint praise.

I have a bad feeling for this year, last year I was optimistic, but this year it just doesn't look good realistically. We are gonna get crushed the next two weeks.

Great post. Agree 100-% and you will see us go into Happy Valley and throw punches. Nothing was shown today while Ped State ran everything possible on Akron. We will get a W next week.

What would you like to bet ?

You thinking 10-2 worst case scenario?

#1....I 99.9% support the direction football is going in. .1% end the vanilla ....run on the score up on everyone then play guys. F**k PSU or who ever else that has no impact on our biggest goal ...ACC champs.

#2 ... Browne is not mobility but he has the biggest arm since Savage.... Without question he needs to target 1 of our 5 Speedsters each quarter.

#3 ... Wriginis and Whitehead must start no questions asked...

#4 .... Team will play much better as we had alot of first time starters who will play alot better each game.

Last and most importantly we won ........H2P

1) Kicker looked horrible, but there is a good chance this can be corrected due to nerves. It is totally reasonable that this can be fixed
2) Browne at QB. He just doesn't have it, I see history repeating, replaced by game 3 by the backup QB. Yes the right side of the O-line looked like crap, but even when he had time, many times he threw into double coverage. His reads were crap for the most part.
3) Center/Right-side of o-line is a disaster. I believe these guys can and will improve.
4) LBs..... It can't get worse. It just can't. And if they can't stop a wheel route from being consistently run on them by a FCS team, well that says it all. I dont see much hope for improvement.
5) DBs, well with the LBs as piss poor as they are, the secondary will look better by comparison as i will be the LB corp giving up most the big pass plays. As such I think the DBs are slightly better, but that is damning with faint praise.

I have a bad feeling for this year, last year I was optimistic, but this year it just doesn't look good realistically. We are gonna get crushed the next two weeks.

You just wait until our younger great recruiting classes take shape. Oh wait .....

A team without any depth shouldn't be forced by the morality police in the Cathedral of Learning to suspend starters, especially future 1st rd picks.

YSU would've had 600 yds offense if they realized quicker how bad Pitt's defense is.

DiNucci will be in the game after halftime next week (at the latest) and he should've gotten a shot to play today.

DiNucci sucked so bad in last years bowl game how could anyone be calling for him ???

I want that cheap heat. Pitt will not go into happy valley and compete. Pitt recruiting is revealing itself as a bunch of busts and guys who barely qualify/can't lay off the swag/ road beers. Defense couldn't possibly be worse than last year? Oh yes it can. Mr sloppy seconds Browne is the best Pitt has because pitt cannot recruit nor develop a quarterback, and Browne is not very good. Great arm, but brain no work no good.

I realize it is just one game - and the first one at that - but when you see this defense (again) basically shredded by the same play over and over... wheel route... TB who does nothing but cuts back... then coaching is an issue. Conklin having a job in FBS football is a travesty.

10 touchdowns and great blocking. You knew losing that would hurt.
I'd held out hope it was more offensive coaching genius more than him specifically. Problem is we let the offensive genius go AND we lost the player so it is still unknown. What's clear is we have nothing now like what they did with him and it's a bigger loss than even i figured.

I agree. The BOT police put their own selfish sense of self importance ahead of the athletic program. As a fan, I don't want to hear about suspensions a few weeks before the season. The Pitt BOTS don't even care about excellence in sports. They care about maintaining "enhanced mediocrity."

I agree. The BOT police put their own selfish sense of self importance ahead of the athletic program. As a fan, I don't want to hear about suspensions a few weeks before the season. The Pitt BOTS don't even care about excellence in sports. They care about maintaining "enhanced mediocrity."

I.E. Pirates

Concerns:
1. I'm very worried about Browne's decision making.
2. Gave up a lot of yards, which didn't surprise me through the air, but the D-line was very underwhelming today.
3. Shaky kicker.
4. Very uninspired unit as whole today.

Bright notes:
1. Davis kid looked ok.
2. Henderson still appears to be a gamebreaking type player.

Reactions: H2P-2007
Morehead showed what he wanted to on offense, for example having backup QB #2 Tommy Stevens lined up in the backfield as both a running and receiver option who can also throw downfield, and having the tight end as part of a triple option. That was to give defensive coordinators something else they had to scheme for. The majority of plays, though, were out of base formations where the receivers were able to create separation and the o-line opening holes for the run. Plus some designed keepers to show defenses that there will be a price to pay for keying on Barkley. They did not show nearly everything; just enough to give opposing defenses a lot to prepare for, wasting time on wrinkles they may or may not even see. And not showing others at all.

Defensively, the line got more pressure than expected so they did not have blitz or shift too much. Nobody expected a shutout, and the defense was a pleasant surprise.

I'm sure there is plenty that Pitt did not show, and the second half vs. YSU was an aberration, but PSU fans are feeling pretty good. Hoping for a clean game with no injuries next week. I'll be shaking hands with Pitt fans before and after the game next week and thanking them for visiting Happy Valley, regardless of the final score.

Barkley = problems for PITT ... our LBs are not ready for that........ I actually think we will be OK a lot of other places. O line will cause problems for PSU they move officer to center and bookster brings a new physicality level....Whitehead would have been a great match up/ adjustment for barkley .......would have liked that one just as a football fan.

Reactions: TD_istheman

Lol. Narduzzi meant to go to OT with Youngstown State? We're going to get smacked next week. We have serious issues from offense to defense to

These comments are so predictable. Most of you.seem to be delighted. They were too vanilla, its hard for any line when the other team is playing 7 or 8 in the box and refuse to throw passes only 5 yds pass the LOS. Plus Ollison is not good enough. He got taken down way to easy most of the game. The little bit Davis showed was that his runs were different. Have a feeling next week he will get to show a lot more.

I'd held out hope it was more offensive coaching genius more than him specifically. Problem is we let the offensive genius go AND we lost the player so it is still unknown. What's clear is we have nothing now like what they did with him and it's a bigger loss than even i figured.

Offensive genius?
The guy scored 10 touchdowns with barely any touches, blows up blitzers, seals off linebackers, and is a sure handed receiver. What is 'offensive genius' about that?
Sometimes I think you people are crazy.

Reactions: freddietee511
Offensive genius?
The guy scored 10 touchdowns with barely any touches, blows up blitzers, seals off linebackers, and is a sure handed receiver. What is 'offensive genius' about that?
NOBODY has ever made such creative use of a freaking fullback like that. Neanderthal coaches of our past (and appears, the present) use them like cavemen. No other team uses them as creatively either.

I realize it is just one game - and the first one at that - but when you see this defense (again) basically shredded by the same play over and over... wheel route... TB who does nothing but cuts back... then coaching is an issue. Conklin having a job in FBS football is a travesty.
Amen..........you would think after getting abused over and over and over again by the same play. Your defensive coordinator would perhaps substitute your very slow linebacker and put in a extra Dback to cover that play. What's really scary was I was at the game and the wheel route wasn't the only play that was open. If their QB waited a extra second or two he would of seen guys running downfield open everywhere. It looks as though none of our safeties know what they are supposed to do. Thus, playing slow and reacting instead of attacking their man.

If kids are confused. That tells me they are not absorbing the coaching they are receiving

Reactions: Pitt5593
The D looks bad. Dont know how much that will improve. My question is, what does the O line look like next week. Do we get a total reshuffle? If we can pass protect and throw further than 5 yards, we may win a few. Think of Pitt as a big12 team. Lots of scoring and no D.

Plus Ollison is not good enough. He got taken down way to easy most of the game. The little bit Davis showed was that his runs were different. Have a feeling next week he will get to show a lot more.

That one play early in the 2nd half where Ollison ran un-touched thru the LOS and a CB made a weak attempt at a tackle by wrapping him and driving him to the sideline showed me all I needed to see about Ollison. He's done. Any competent back takes that to the house.

Reactions: gary2
Davis will lead the team in carries by year's end.

Where is Moss? Discipline? Injury?

Offensive genius?
The offensive genius was recognizing Aston as a unique weapon and finding creative ways to get the most out of his talent and versatility.

Not disagreeing with you about Aston's talent BTW--but on a lot of teams Aston would've just been a good fullback-not a formidable offensive weapon.

Because he's the backup. He must be better!

First I don't think we can even say what Browne is after that vanilla game. He was 17-24 passing, not horrible although he did have a bit Tino sunseri in him with the happy feet.

That being said I'd rather see tmac if Browne faulters but he wasn't bad this game the game plan was bad

First I don't think we can even say what Browne is after that vanilla game. He was 17-24 passing, not horrible although he did have a bit Tino sunseri in him with the happy feet.

That being said I'd rather see tmac if Browne faulters but he wasn't bad this game the game plan was bad
TMAC is not who you're going to see if Browne gets the hook, unless Narduzzi lets Steel Curtain pick his QB.

That said it was game 1, let's see how Browne does next week. He certainly wasn't the only one who needs to be better than he was today.

Reactions: wthenry25
Narduzzi is going to give Browne lots of rope. Narduzzi recruiting the QB position is going to be similar to Wanny recruiting the QB position.

Browne came on a bit late in the 4th QTR and OT.

I was very upset when he did not try to run for that 1st down when flushed out of the pocket and deliberately just threw the ball at the receivers feet. Narduzzi mentioned that in the post game.

Browne learned from that and drove to get 15 big yards when we needed them later.

Some of those dump the ball to the back 3 feet away balls that went nowhere helped to make him look bad.

He did make throws to Ffrench, Ollison and Weah later in the game.

Browne looked slow and robotic. Made bad decisions and stared his receivers down. Hopefully, some of that was 1st game rust. He/we need to get a lot better.

Davis will lead the team in carries by year's end.

Where is Moss? Discipline? Injury?
Rumor is he passed a dorm room where some Philosophy major (excuse me, I mean, "world renown Philosophy major") stoners were getting lit up. The smell wafted in his general direction. So no PT for him.

Because he's the backup. He must be better!

Anyone clamoring for Dinucci following his 3-9-16 yards with 2 picks in the bowl game must have thought Voytik was an absolute God after his relief appearance in the bowl against Bowling Green.

Anyone clamoring for Dinucci following his 3-9-16 yards with 2 picks in the bowl game must have thought Voytik was an absolute God after his relief appearance in the bowl against Bowling Green.

He got no work throughout the year with the first team. I would bet the competition this year (IF run fairly) would have him better prepared

2 dropped passes.
1 dropped TD pass.
1 drop that was juggled and turned into an interception.
No James Conner. Offense was hit w/ many other injuries.
DiNucci will get in the game next week, but not before it's too late.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT