ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the good non-Duke ACC freshmen?

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
That's what everyone said when the NCAA started allowing free transfers: what's the point of recruiting freshmen anymore? A 4th or 5th year player from a mid-major is better and that freshman will transfer after Year 1 or Year 2. Right?

So, that said, I can honestly only name 1 good freshman who doesnt play for Duke: Judah Mintz.

We are benefitting from the transfer market right now but its sad to see that freshmen can no longer play big roles at the P6 level (unless you are a McD AA).

That's what everyone said when the NCAA started allowing free transfers: what's the point of recruiting freshmen anymore? A 4th or 5th year player from a mid-major is better and that freshman will transfer after Year 1 or Year 2. Right?

So, that said, I can honestly only name 1 good freshman who doesnt play for Duke: Judah Mintz.

We are benefitting from the transfer market right now but its sad to see that freshmen can no longer play big roles at the P6 level (unless you are a McD AA).
It’s not a bad point but Pitt will be testing this next year because Lowe and Carrington are really good and should both play a lot - but of course we might go raid the Horizon league and then the kids don’t play. So I don’t know.

Is Guillermo going to make the all rookie team lol? Seems like slim Pickens outside Duke.

Reactions: mo cheeks
It’s not a bad point but Pitt will be testing this next year because Lowe and Carrington are really good and should both play a lot - but of course we might go raid the Horizon league and then the kids don’t play. So I don’t know.

Is Guillermo going to make the all rookie team lol? Seems like slim Pickens outside Duke.

Yea, I was trying to figure it out without looking it up. Besides the Duke guys, is Guiellermo the #2 frosh? Total craziness.

As for MM transfers, Dan Oladapo was big miss but you have to keep recruiting that market. He went from averaging 13 and 9 in a good MM league to averaging 6 and 4 in maybe the worst league (MEAC) 2 years later.

Mckneely (UVA) is the only one I can think of off the top of my head from the top half of the ACC. There might be some on the bad teams but I don't watch them enough to know.

i cheated and looked them up. this was preseason list. no clue how any of them are doing

1. Dereck Lively (No. 1 overall) - Duke

2. Dariq Whitehead (No. 2 overall) - Duke

3. Kyle Filipowski (No. 4 overall) - Duke

4. JJ Starling (No. 20 overall) - Notre Dame

5. Mark Mitchell (No. 21 overall) - Duke

6. Seth Trimble (No. 34 overall) - North Carolina

7. Jalen Washington (No. 43 overall) - North Carolina

8. Judah Mintz (No. 46 overall) - Syracuse

9. Isaac Traudt (No. 55 overall) - Virginia

10. Isaac McKneely (No. 56 overall) - Virginia

11. Leon Bond (No. 59 overall) - Virginia

12. Kamari Lands (No. 61 overall) - Louisville

13. Rodney Rice (No. 63 overall) - Virginia Tech

14. Jaden Schutt (No. 64 overall) - Duke

15. AJ Casey (No. 71 overall) - Miami

16. Ven-Allen Lubin (No. 72 overall) - Notre Dame

17. Tyler Nickel (No. 75 overall) - North Carolina

18. Devin Ree (No. 76 overall)- Louisville

19. Cameron Corhen (No. 86 overall) - Florida State

23. Chandler Jackson (No. 116 overall) - Florida State

24. Prince Aligbe (No. 118 overall) - Boston College

25. Justin Taylor (No. 119 overall) - Syracuse

20. De'Ante Green (No. 87 overall) - Florida State

21. Chris Bunch (No. 102 overall) - Syracuse

22. Favour Aire (No. 111 overall) - Miami

i cheated and looked them up. this was preseason list. no clue how any of them are doing

1. Dereck Lively (No. 1 overall) - Duke

2. Dariq Whitehead (No. 2 overall) - Duke

3. Kyle Filipowski (No. 4 overall) - Duke

4. JJ Starling (No. 20 overall) - Notre Dame

5. Mark Mitchell (No. 21 overall) - Duke

6. Seth Trimble (No. 34 overall) - North Carolina

7. Jalen Washington (No. 43 overall) - North Carolina

8. Judah Mintz (No. 46 overall) - Syracuse

12. Kamari Lands (No. 61 overall) - Louisville

13. Rodney Rice (No. 63 overall) - Virginia Tech

14. Jaden Schutt (No. 64 overall) - Duke

15. AJ Casey (No. 71 overall) - Miami

16. Ven-Allen Lubin (No. 72 overall) - Notre Dame

17. Tyler Nickel (No. 75 overall) - North Carolina

18. Devin Ree (No. 76 overall)- Louisville

19. Cameron Corhen (No. 86 overall) - Florida State

23. Chandler Jackson (No. 116 overall) - Florida State

24. Prince Aligbe (No. 118 overall) - Boston College

25. Justin Taylor (No. 119 overall) - Syracuse

20. De'Ante Green (No. 87 overall) - Florida State

21. Chris Bunch (No. 102 overall) - Syracuse

22. Favour Aire (No. 111 overall) - Miami
Both of the ND guys are good. UVA has a decent one. Does look like a really down year for talent though.

Maliq Brown- Syracuse
JJ Starling- Notre Dame
Isaac Mckneely- Virginia
Cam Corhen- Florida State
Ven Allen Lubin- Notre Dame

That's 5. The 2 from Notre Dame are going to be highly recruited should they leave after the season.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Maliq Brown- Syracuse
JJ Starling- Notre Dame
Isaac Mckneely- Virginia

That's 5. The 2 from Notre Dame are going to be highly recruited should they leave after the season.

Mike James from Louisville has been pretty good, albeit on a bad team.

Maliq Brown- Syracuse
JJ Starling- Notre Dame
Isaac Mckneely- Virginia

The coaching job Brey has done this year is all-time bad. The same can be said for Hamilton, Payne, and Hubert Davis. The ACC has a major coaching problem.

The coaching job Brey has done this year is all-time bad. The same can be said for Hamilton, Payne, and Hubert Davis. The ACC has a major coaching problem.

Could be mistaken, but I thought when watching a Syracuse game that they were starting 2 freshman.

Mintz is really talented, but he can also be flat out bad at times.

It's hard to win with guys like Mintz. They have the talent, and are loaded with potential, but they spend one year showing glimpses of what they can be and they are out the door after one year based on potential and never develop any high-level consistency that really elevates their college program.

Mintz is really talented, but he can also be flat out bad at times.

It's hard to win with guys like Mintz. They have the talent, and are loaded with potential, but they spend one year showing glimpses of what they can be and they are out the door after one year based on potential and never develop any high-level consistency that really elevates their college program.

We were told Mintz was really overrated. The truth is that he is extremely talented. Like lottery pick talent. But has some of that Xavier Johnson in him, in that doesn't always make smart basketball plays and is too ball dominant.

Reactions: Eastern Eight

Traudt and Bond are redshirting this year. McKneely has been solid off the bench. I think Ryan Dunn is going to have a nice future at UVA also.

We were told Mintz was really overrated. The truth is that he is extremely talented. Like lottery pick talent. But has some of that Xavier Johnson in him, in that doesn't always make smart basketball plays and is too ball dominant.
Right. Lottery pick talent doesn't always best translate to winning at the college level. The NBA will draft on potential. Mintz would be great for Cuse if he would stick around for another year or two. I highly doubt that happens. So as it is, he gives you a glimpse of greatness and he's out the door before it can really pay dividends for the Orange and they are left to start all over again next year.

Right. Lottery pick talent doesn't always best translate to winning at the college level. The NBA will draft on potential. Mintz would be great for Cuse if he would stick around for another year or two. I highly doubt that happens. So as it is, he gives you a glimpse of greatness and he's out the door before it can really pay dividends for the Orange and they are left to start all over again next year.

I think Mintz has to go now based all on potential unless that garbage hauling billionaire dude wants to pay him $2 million or so. Sometimes these dudes sticking around, not improving, is the worst thing they can do. Like I think Xavier Johnson goes 2nd Round and gets a 2 way after his freshman year. Now, 5 years later, he has no shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT