ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread

Duke is actually letting up on the gas already and we still can't do a thing. Getting outrebounded by 18. That's pathetic.

I'm very surprised we scored 50. I thought if Duke hadn't let up on us, we might be in the low 40's.

The final score is obviously very misleading. That wasn't a 22 point loss. More like a 42 point loss. We got our asses kicked badly by a much better team in all phases.

We know Capel is not even a good coach from what we've seen this year. I thought he was a decent recruiter, though. I'm starting to doubt that, too.

Effort was there
Execution wasn’t

When you're equivalent to a junior high team playing the high school varsity team, any effort that may exist looks like a bunch of guys running around aimlessly, flailing their arms and legs, and looking foolish. That's what Pitt looked like last night. They weren't prepared to play this team and didn't have the talent or coaching to compete.

When you're equivalent to a junior high team playing the high school varsity team, any effort that may exist looks like a bunch of guys running around aimlessly, flailing their arms and legs, and looking foolish. That's what Pitt looked like last night. They weren't prepared to play this team and didn't have the talent or coaching to compete.
The greatest prep wouldn’t have mattered

They are 3x more talented and defend well

Only chance we had was if Duke looked past us AND we shot lights out

10 minutes in that clearly wasn’t the case

I think our talent level has really improved the last two years. Definitely the best since 2011. They just need to mature a little. You can tell they are pressing with their 3 point and foul shooting when the competition is elite. They seem to be much more accurate when the competition isn't the Dukes and UNCs of the world. I have a feeling this will improve as the season goes on and definitely next year.

The greatest prep wouldn’t have mattered

They are 3x more talented and defend well

Only chance we had was if Duke looked past us AND we shot lights out

10 minutes in that clearly wasn’t the case

I agree. Duke would have had to be looking way past us and we would have had to have our best night of shooting the ball and playing defense and rebounding that we'll have all year if we had any hope of beating Duke. Or of even staying within 10 points of Duke.

Last edited:
I think our talent level has really improved the last two years. Definitely the best since 2011. They just need to mature a little. You can tell they are pressing with their 3 point and foul shooting when the competition is elite. They seem to be much more accurate when the competition isn't the Dukes and UNCs of the world. I have a feeling this will improve as the season goes on and definitely next year.
It has but our weaknesses do also become glaring at times

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Effort was there
Execution wasn’t
I agree that the effort was there. But it's like if I fought Mike Tyson, I could give every ounce of effort I had and I would still get the crap beat out of me. Yet there would be some onlookers that said I needed to fight harder.

Some nights a far less talented team can win if they play exceptionally well and their opponent plays poorly....last night wasn't one of those nights.

Reactions: PittPharm2002
I thought the effort was lackluster on the defensive end. I thought it was also way lacking when fighting for rebounds. I thought Pitt played with more effort and intensity against UNC than they did last night.

Reactions: Gep Dawg
Duke didn't need to break a sweat to beat Pitt by 30+. Beating us by 22 is only because Duke pitied us and let up midway through the second half. The fact is we don't have one player on the current team that could play for Duke as a starter. Maybe Lowe and Bub would be bench players who got in at mop up time. But at least they'd have a chance to develop their skills under Scheyer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT