ADVERTISEMENT

Getting excited...

cpc247

Redshirt
Jun 26, 2013
As every year, camp rolls around and I get jacked thinking about Pitt winning 10+ games and that doesn't occur. With that said I still enjoy watching them each year and can't thank the countless players I've enjoyed watching (if your reading). I think this is the best roster we have had in a few years (maybe not the top end Boyd/JC/Donald/Fitz but as a whole roster). After listening, reading, & watching this roster so far I'm confident we have a handful of guys who can really jump out on both sides of the ball. Share your thoughts...

(NFL means could or will reasonably end up in a NFL camp someday) There could be potentially MORE... Also no freshman have been included in the NFL camp

Defense:

Camp (NFL)
Dane Jackson (NFL)
Rashad Weaver (NFL)
Sean Idowu (NFL)
Quintin Wirginis (NFL)
Patrick Jones (Break out defensive player of the year)

Offense:

Alex Bookser (NFL)
Stephino Millin (NFL)
Qadree Ollison (NFL..I know I know but backs are always needed and he's a big back that probably is better than advertised here at Pitt)
George Aston (NFL...yes can play special teams)
Tyler Sear (Break out offensive player of the year)

That's 9 guys that I believe could be in NFL Camps when the dust settles. This doesn't include the Paris Fords, Kenny P, Matthews, French, Pinnock, etc kinda guys who really could make an impact given their positions and specific skills or talents.

Lastly, I remember Boyd saying that Chad V was a good QB but he didn't have to worry about breaking his fingers anymore. To this day I believe that was Boyd being kind to Chad and the QB situation. And it also reminded me how important it is that the QB can accurately get the ball out to his targets. This is something I do think the WR will benefit from this year and it has me excited.

H2P!

My 2 cents.... I agree with Patrick Jones as a breakout. The kid has definitely filled out. Definitely a big surprise when I saw him at fan day. I'm not overly optimistic about Millin. Its a BIG jump to P5 and he doesn't look to have the type of strength that will allow him to excel at this level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed up late in the year by Drake or even Houy who has developed quickly. I'd expect Bookser to move to LT and one of the younger guys to move into his spot. I also think Hamlin could be a real impact player. This is not based on my projection at all, this is based on what I'm hearing from the coaches only. I differ in a big way from what I've heard nearly every talking head say in that I thought Hendrix has a solid finish to the year. He really hadn't touched the field in his career much prior to the season and re-watching the games I thought he made very good progress. I expect big numbers from him this year. I think Pickett may be the first Pitt QB in a long time that has the potential to go very high in the draft as well. He's so well balanced its scary. Taysir Mack will have a solid shot to make a roster as well. Playing with Kenny will be a big boost for him. Don't sleep on Pinnock. He's better than he's getting credit. There are a lot of WPIAL guys on the roster so everyone wants to overlook him, but I think he holds on to the starting job most if not all of the season with a lot of rotation with Ford. Paris will need to be patient or move back to safety to claim a starting roll. I do however expect to see a decent roll on offense.

I read 2 reviews on Millin and both said he was not athletic enough to play tackle at the NFL level. I am high on him because they mention he was really strong and so did PN. If he's mature and NFL strong he will look good at Pitt because we want to run the ball which will only help him (less pass pro). Good to know about Taysir Mack I think shocky could be a player but will need to not be doubled like boyd was.

the lack of a big play offensive player is a big concern. The biggest breakaway threat, Henderson, is gone. I think Hall can potentially be a game breaker, but someone has to step up at WR to spread the field out.

I believe the return of Wirginis and Aston will be significant for this team. Both guys bring that tough guy Pittsburgh attitude that we didn’t have last season. This team seems to have some solid leadership that will make a huge difference as well. Then add the strength of the D-line and this team should be very physical and be able to dominate the line. Lets hope it also shows up on the offensive side of the ball. Need that Pittsburgh toughness on offense to make for a great season.

I think you’ll see Watts, Hamlin and maybe Hendrix get into the NFL on D. Hall and Gragg from the O.

Millin is the strongest player on their team according to George Aston.

My 2 cents.... I agree with Patrick Jones as a breakout. The kid has definitely filled out. Definitely a big surprise when I saw him at fan day. I'm not overly optimistic about Millin. Its a BIG jump to P5 and he doesn't look to have the type of strength that will allow him to excel at this level. I wouldn't be surprised to see him passed up late in the year by Drake or even Houy who has developed quickly. I'd expect Bookser to move to LT and one of the younger guys to move into his spot. I also think Hamlin could be a real impact player. This is not based on my projection at all, this is based on what I'm hearing from the coaches only. I differ in a big way from what I've heard nearly every talking head say in that I thought Hendrix has a solid finish to the year. He really hadn't touched the field in his career much prior to the season and re-watching the games I thought he made very good progress. I expect big numbers from him this year. I think Pickett may be the first Pitt QB in a long time that has the potential to go very high in the draft as well. He's so well balanced its scary. Taysir Mack will have a solid shot to make a roster as well. Playing with Kenny will be a big boost for him. Don't sleep on Pinnock. He's better than he's getting credit. There are a lot of WPIAL guys on the roster so everyone wants to overlook him, but I think he holds on to the starting job most if not all of the season with a lot of rotation with Ford. Paris will need to be patient or move back to safety to claim a starting roll. I do however expect to see a decent roll on offense.

Reactions: persp
Hmmmm that’s a surprise. I didn’t read that. Just going off of what I’ve seen of him. That’s good news. I’d be ecstatic to be wrong on him.

Millin reportedly completed 32 repetitions at 225 lbs on the bench press.

That may not necessarily make him the strongest player on the team but one of them.

Upper body strength and endurance is probably not an issue for him.

Reactions: kickassjoe
As every year, camp rolls around and I get jacked thinking about Pitt winning 10+ games and that doesn't occur. With that said I still enjoy watching them each year and can't thank the countless players I've enjoyed watching (if your reading). I think this is the best roster we have had in a few years (maybe not the top end Boyd/JC/Donald/Fitz but as a whole roster). After listening, reading, & watching this roster so far I'm confident we have a handful of guys who can really jump out on both sides of the ball. Share your thoughts...

(NFL means could or will reasonably end up in a NFL camp someday) There could be potentially MORE... Also no freshman have been included in the NFL camp

Defense:

Camp (NFL)
Dane Jackson (NFL)
Rashad Weaver (NFL)
Sean Idowu (NFL)
Quintin Wirginis (NFL)
Patrick Jones (Break out defensive player of the year)

Offense:

Alex Bookser (NFL)
Stephino Millin (NFL)
Qadree Ollison (NFL..I know I know but backs are always needed and he's a big back that probably is better than advertised here at Pitt)
George Aston (NFL...yes can play special teams)
Tyler Sear (Break out offensive player of the year)

That's 9 guys that I believe could be in NFL Camps when the dust settles. This doesn't include the Paris Fords, Kenny P, Matthews, French, Pinnock, etc kinda guys who really could make an impact given their positions and specific skills or talents.

Lastly, I remember Boyd saying that Chad V was a good QB but he didn't have to worry about breaking his fingers anymore. To this day I believe that was Boyd being kind to Chad and the QB situation. And it also reminded me how important it is that the QB can accurately get the ball out to his targets. This is something I do think the WR will benefit from this year and it has me excited.

H2P!
That's very optimistic. I see Bookser as a 4-5 round pick. Maybe with a great year Dane Jackson is somewhere near there. Nobody else yet has done anything on your list to be drafted. Of course, some may make an NFL team as a scout player.

According to folks who are very close to the program. Pickett is going to be special. The wideout group has 2 freaks that are going to play this year and flourish. Shocky JJ and DBJ add in Tipton and Lopes and Matthews our wideout group is going to be very very good.

At running back Ollison is going to have a big year and Hall. Our Oline is better than people think.

Defensively, we are loaded. At all three phases. Dline, Linebackers and at Dback. Nards thinks we have a championship defense this year. Hope he’s right.

If the Oline is a little better than average. Pitt can have a very good season. Starting with Penn st.

With what they lost. I think we beat them. I don’t care what their recruiting rankings say.

According to folks who are very close to the program. Pickett is going to be special. The wideout group has 2 freaks that are going to play this year and flourish. Shocky JJ and DBJ add in Tipton and Lopes and Matthews our wideout group is going to be very very good.

At running back Ollison is going to have a big year and Hall. Our Oline is better than people think.

Defensively, we are loaded. At all three phases. Dline, Linebackers and at Dback. Nards thinks we have a championship defense this year. Hope he’s right.

If the Oline is a little better than average. Pitt can have a very good season. Starting with Penn st.

With what they lost. I think we beat them. I don’t care what their recruiting rankings say.
Shere you said a lot and I agree with everything you described. If we get a couple of breaks this could be special.

Love the optimism and great post. agree about the defense 110%. Very good to hear about the WRs as well, if they can make play for Kenny, watch out. Why cant it just be Sep 8th already?

Hey Koolaid! You will be a treat to watch self implode this season. You are buying what a desperate coaching staff is selling hook, line, and sinker. 5 win team with an average D and awful O
Can’t wait to see you Ped st fans leave Heinz field on suicide watch after Pitt beats you. Just like 2 years ago. It was tremendous watching you zombie’s leave Heinz field after that beat down.

No Barkley who was just as important to your passing game than just running the ball. No stud TE to stretch the field.
New offensive coordinator who will not be nowhere near as creative as Moorehead.

Your defense is in shambles with only 4 starters back lol. After looking at in more closely. How Ped st is a 13 point favorite is comical. I am going to bet a dime on the money line.

Last edited:
the lack of a big play offensive player is a big concern. The biggest breakaway threat, Henderson, is gone. I think Hall can potentially be a game breaker, but someone has to step up at WR to spread the field out.
We may only lack a big play threat because we haven't played yet. We have some candidates on the roster. let's play a few games and see.

Reactions: Saboteur
Millin reportedly completed 32 repetitions at 225 lbs on the bench press.

That may not necessarily make him the strongest player on the team but one of them.

Upper body strength and endurance is probably not an issue for him.
The staff had the opportunity to watch Millin go against Clemson's DEs last year. I'm sure they liked what they saw.

Can’t wait to see you Ped st fans leave Heinz field on suicide watch after Pitt beats you. Just like 2 years ago. It was tremendous watching you zombie’s leave Heinz field after that beat down.

No Barkley who was just as important to your passing game than just running the ball. No stud TE to stretch the field.
New offensive coordinator who will not be nowhere near as creative as Moorehead.

Your defense is in shambles with only 4 starters back lol. After looking at in more closely. How Ped st is a 13 point favorite is comical. I am going to bet a dime on the money line.
Couldn't have said it better myself, shere.

I do believe the 13.5 pts psu is giving is inflated. psu lost the best rb in the nation, a te who was a high draft pick and also their top wr. that is tough to replace. also the "D" lost 8 starters. psu is not alabama or osu when it comes to replacing that kind of talent. I guess we will see..i like our chances!!

Moorehead's adjustments at halftime were the only reason that wasn't a total blowout. He almost saved their asses.

Oh if only all of this was true

Im optimistic about PItt most years but this feels a lot different. It all starts with the QB. If you dont have a legit D1 QB you simply are not going to win many games. For a true frosh with limited talent at WR KP was pretty impressive. I also agree that the WR group will be the surprise this year.

Add in a D that is gaining more talent in the back 7, a front four that has more talent and experience and you have a team that should be greatly improved. How much in terms of W's is hard to say. Way too much can happen (good and bad) but at least there is legitimate reason to feel good about this team.

This is right on target. Add in the power and influence of Aston and the TE’s in Sear and Gragg, this offense is going to surprise the shit out of the watered down PSU defense. It all comes down to the physicality of the D line and can our O line protect and open some running lanes. Pickett will make things happen and Watson has had the time to get creative with the talent he has and it will be different than what we have seen in the past. Expect many surprises from our offense and I agree this defense has the talent to dominate. Hit McSorly early and hard and shut down their passing attack and it will be a long day for the Nitters. Can’t wait for this game. Should be tons of fun.

Reactions: PittFanDan17
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT