ADVERTISEMENT

GT going to be really tough on Wednesday

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
They are 6-2 in their last 8. Will have won 7 of 9 going into our game. Only losses by 1 at Wake and to us. Right now, on a neutral floor, we really arent any better than them. They are playing extremely well.

They are 6-2 in their last 8. Will have won 7 of 9 going into our game. Only losses by 1 at Wake and to us. Right now, on a neutral floor, we really arent any better than them. They are playing extremely
yeah I was thinking the same thing when I saw their win at BC. NC State gets VT and then Clemson so only one of those teams makes the semis.

As long as we win Wednesday. The loss to ND might be a blessing. We are probably a 8 or 9 without that loss. I'll take 10 or 11 any day
If the last 2 games don’t light a fire under our guys, then nothing will. Our guys need to box out and fight for every rebound like it’s the last one. If they play hard on defense and rebound, then the offense will take care of itself.

They are 6-2 in their last 8.

Those six wins are Notre Dame at home, Virginia Tech at home, Florida Tech at home, Louisville at home, Syracuse on the road and Boston College (playing without their best player almost the whole game) on the road.

Other than Virginia Tech, which was a home game, there isn't one top 100 team on that list.

Those six wins are Notre Dame at home, Virginia Tech at home, Florida Tech at home, Louisville at home, Syracuse on the road and Boston College (playing without their best player almost the whole game) on the road.

Other than Virginia Tech, which was a home game, there isn't one top 100 team on that list.

Cool. Our last 8

Lou
@ FSU
BC
@ VT (L)
GT
Syr
@ ND (L)
@ Miami (L)

Pitt and GT are very very similar teams right now.

Well then you should put all your money right now on Georgia Tech beating us.

In fact please do, the rest of us will sleep better this week.

I think we beat GT but its like a 55/45 game. We are only slightly better. And I will bet money on GT but only to ease my pain if we lose. I put $100 on Miami today to win like $35 and $50 on Duke to win $50. I am basically hedging against us not making the NCAAT. I actually did lose the Pitt/Wake game. I put $100 on Wake because I felt it was a play out game. So I lost $100 but was happy to do it because in my mind, it kept us in the NCAAT running.

If the last 2 games don’t light a fire under our guys, then nothing will. Our guys need to box out and fight for every rebound like it’s the last one. If they play hard on defense and rebound, then the offense will take care of itself.
Dead on Sauce! This team's offense is solid. Defend hard, work your ass off to clean your defensive glass, and we will have a shot to win the ACC tourney. I know we can be so much better in both areas, because we were earlier in the ACC season.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
I don't think it's a motivation thing. Our guys are running out of steam. This is not a deep team. There are 6 guys you can count on for real minutes every game. The twins can chip in a few bench minutes, but our main rotation has played a ton this year.

We are going to be way more than a two point or so favorite, which is what 55/45 would translate to.

You know why? Because we aren't just slightly better than Georgia Tech. We are a lot better than them.
We played them twice and won by 8 and 11 points, so yes.

We played them twice and won by 8 and 11 points, so yes.

Yeah, but on the other hand, what do you think is more important to the people who set the point spreads? Prior results, season long results and recent results, or what SMF thinks?

Hmmm.

I don't think it's a motivation thing. Our guys are running out of steam. This is not a deep team. There are 6 guys you can count on for real minutes every game. The twins can chip in a few bench minutes, but our main rotation has played a ton this year.
The ND game was absolutely a motivation and focus issue and it was part of the problem regarding the discrepancy on the boards tonight.

GT is playing pretty well. It'll be a challenge for certain, but I don't think they can score enough to beat us.

I'm already having nightmares of Filipowski inside after our defense and rebounding around the hoop the last few games.

We are going to be way more than a two point or so favorite, which is what 55/45 would translate to.

You know why? Because we aren't just slightly better than Georgia Tech. We are a lot better than them.

We'll be a 6 point favorite. In my mind, we are 3-4 point favorite. At this moment in time with GT playing well and Pitt fading a little, we're only slightly better.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
GT is playing pretty well. It'll be a challenge for certain, but I don't think they can score enough to beat us.

I'm already having nightmares of Filipowski inside after our defense and rebounding around the hoop the last few games.

No chance to beat Duke. Not even worrying about that one. Beat GT, play your best vs Duke and get ready for Dayton.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
The right answer. No excuse to get doubled up on rebounds when a regular season #1 ACC seed is on the line. As sated O will be fine.

Do what you said and this team has good of a chance as anyone to win the ACC Tournament.

Reactions: Millerton24
FSU has quit.
The amount of whining from you is unreal. This is a deeply flawed team that has played their tail off the entire year. Can you just enjoy what an unexpected, wonderful season this has been? We all want them to get to the tourney but this year is already a success.

Reactions: jctrack
But Pitt should only be favored by 3. So you should have no problem taking GT +3

Nope. Betting point spreads is for degenerates. The final score doesnt always paint the picture of how the game went which is why NET is stupid.

What I'm saying is Pitt is slightly better. We will win. It will be an excruciatingly close game similar to the 1st one. Not sure what the final will be but the game will be in doubt deep into the 2nd Half.

We'll be a 6 point favorite. In my mind, we are 3-4 point favorite. At this moment in time with GT playing well and Pitt fading a little, we're only slightly better.

Neither one of those translates into a 55/45 game.

And the only reason that you think that we are only slightly better than Georgia Tech is because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Neither one of those translates into a 55/45 game.

And the only reason that you think that we are only slightly better than Georgia Tech is because you have no idea what you are talking about.
I offered him 1k on GT +3 and he instantly backed off that. He doesn’t even believe the stuff he says

The game 2 weeks ago was a fluke? Those were 2 even teams.

In that game we were a 12-1/2 point favorite. But you think that just switching that game to a neutral court should change the point spread by something like 9 points.

But to be fair, the only reason that you think that is because you have no idea what you are talking about.

In that game we were a 12-1/2 point favorite. But you think that just switching that game to a neutral court should change the point spread by something like 9 points.

But to be fair, the only reason that you think that is because you have no idea what you are talking about.

I said the point spread will be 6. It should be 3-4 because the teams are fairly even. It wont be 3-4 based on GT's record but right now, they are as good as we are.

I said the point spread will be 6. It should be 3-4 because the teams are fairly even. It wont be 3-4 based on GT's record but right now, they are as good as we are.

It won't be 3-4 because Georgia Tech isn't that good.

For whatever reason, against all evidence to the contrary, you have convinced yourself that these bottom of the ACC teams are a whole lot better than what they are.

Oh, wait, I know the reason. It's because you have no idea what you are talking about.

Something has changed since 2-3 weeks ago. Not sure if they ran out of gas or if it’s just that the hot shooting cooled off and has exposed some flaws again. They were playing pretty good defense yesterday and then you’d have a big, head-scratching lapse. There were a few times when guys were just standing there watching a loose ball they could have gotten to.

I will say that the floor of this team has certainly raised a lot since the beginning of the season. I do think our ceiling is lower than it was earlier if they keep playing like this.

Last edited:
I’ll give them the benefit of doubt and point most of it to overachieving and being gassed. They have a decent break and probably a decent matchup coming up that should help. But they’re kind of teetering on the finish ruining how much of a step they took this year.

S

Sounds like Pitt's recent wins...

I don't care about the other teams, whether it's GT, FSU, Duke, whoever. I care about the fact that Pitt isn't rebounding well and isn't defending well enough to win consistently. They've got to fix this now or we may not win another game the rest of the year. Rebounding and playing defense requires effort, energy and intensity. This Pitt team may be tired now. It's been a long season with a short bench.

Reactions: jctrack
Whoever it is we play let’s just beat their asses…

If it’s GT fine beat their asses again

If it’s FSU pile it on and beat their asses…

I want to see an ass beating Wednesday

Reactions: PittEng09
The way Pitt is playing we can win by 10 points or lose by 10 or more. I have no confidence we will win on Wednesday. Of course I hope we do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT