ADVERTISEMENT

Gueye to Pitt

I doubt very much if Capel brought him in planning to play him 25 mins/game.

But on the flip side, I’m sure Gueye is coming in hoping to play that many minutes a game.

I doubt he’ll play that many, but if he does, let’s hope it’s because he earned em and not just because there are no better options.
I think early in the season, he plays more than Hugley. Hugley will not initially be treated like nothing he did impacted last years team.

what Gueye does with that early playing time, will determine how much he plays later. That and how well Hugley reacts and plays.

I think early in the season, he plays more than Hugley. Hugley will not initially be treated like nothing he did impacted last years team.

what Gueye does with that early playing time, will determine how much he plays later. That and how well Hugley reacts and plays.
God I hope not. Hugley, while having some deficiencies, is already better than Gueye. I think you’re off on this one Gary. Just my opinion.

God I hope not. Hugley, while having some deficiencies, is already better than Gueye. I think you’re off on this one Gary. Just my opinion.
I am not saying Hugley is not better than Gueye.

I “think” Hugley will be made to earn his way back (early)

I don’t think he enters the season as a “named” starter. That would send a message you do not want to send.

In order to change a culture, you need to set a culture.

Last edited:
My guess is that it'll be fairly even with time with Hugley with the edge. Just because every game is different with bigs because of fouls and just being able to stay on the court.
It's always so situational.
Then you just have those games will one guy will just be playing real good for some reason and other one just not playing well because of matchup.
Game situation will make fairly obvious about minutes most of the time.

Reactions: gary2
I am encouraged with this signing. Another big with athletic ability should help mitigate our front court's ineptness from last season.

Reactions: gary2
8-10 would be great or 12 if he can do it efficiently. If he’s averaging 15, he’s either become an NBA player or is working at too high of a volume. Think Mike Cook at ECU vs Mike Cook at Pitt as a good measuring stick for what we need from him.

not saying he can’t do it, but I’d be very shocked based on his previous play. Averaging 15 PPG in the ACC efficiently is extremely difficult. Can’t remember the last time we had someone do it.
Why would you compare to Mike Cook at ECU ppg when I was taking direct results of Nike playing for Pitt against ACC competition after X left? This is by far the closest correlation as to what to expect. I'm not looking at Miami of Ohio PPG.

Guards 30-35

Forwards. 25 (need Jeffress help here)

Centers 10-15
Nike 12, Femi 10, Burton 6, Horton 4

Payton 9, Olidapo 7, Jeffress 9

Hugley 6, Gueye 6

Need to win games in the 60s or very low 70s. Think the team could have the make up to do that.

Reactions: H2PisIT
Help me out, DT. How does an ACC backup player become the America East Defensive Player of Year and be named to the first team all-defensive team in 2021?

Not to speak for the inimitable DT, but it's not a stretch to say that being a long body in the America East doesn't translate to one of the most talented conferences in the country.

America East is a one bid league and, while UMBC and Vermont generally have success, it's not the same as the ACC. He's going to go up against multiple 4 and 5 star players in any given game, including several draft picks or even lottery picks during the season. There's a huge gap between that level of play and the 2-3 star players that populate his current conference.

I agree that this roster isn't a disaster. We have some nice pieces and good size especially in the back court. But it's hard to see this squad being better than .500 in the ACC, which is generally on the bubble.

Help me out, DT. How does an ACC backup player become the America East Defensive Player of Year and be named to the first team all-defensive team in 2021?

It's my take ... I surely could be wrong. I hope I am. Please don't let me get in the way of anyone's optimism.

He got the award because he was able to block shots while playing 25+ in the America East. He's going to play about 12-15 for us. In that time, he'll probably average 4 PPG and 3-4 RPG and about 1-1.5 Blocks. If he can do this for us, that would be a big help and this would surpass Terrell's numbers.

In my opinion, the key to our improved post play will be John Hugley, and how much he improves. Geuye can hopefully be a nice backup to John. I regret though, that in my view, Geuye's addition does little to move the needle in a direction in finishing better than 12th-14th in the ACC. Again, sure hope I'm underestimating him.

Not to speak for the inimitable DT, but it's not a stretch to say that being a long body in the America East doesn't translate to one of the most talented conferences in the country.

America East is a one bid league and, while UMBC and Vermont generally have success, it's not the same as the ACC. He's going to go up against multiple 4 and 5 star players in any given game, including several draft picks or even lottery picks during the season. There's a huge gap between that level of play and the 2-3 star players that populate his current conference.

I agree that this roster isn't a disaster. We have some nice pieces and good size especially in the back court. But it's hard to see this squad being better than .500 in the ACC, which is generally on the bubble.

You spoke for me quite well, actually.

Nike 12, Femi 10, Burton 6, Horton 4

Payton 9, Olidapo 7, Jeffress 9

Hugley 6, Gueye 6

Need to win games in the 60s or very low 70s. Think the team could have the make up to do that.

Burton scored 4.3 with TT while averaging 19 minutes. Why do you think he will score more than that in probably less minutes? FWIW, I think Femi will be our leading scorer, around 13-14. What makes you think Ithiel will drop from almost 9 points to 4?

Regardless, I agree that winning games in the 60's might be how we need to win.

Burton scored 4.3 with TT while averaging 19 minutes. Why do you think he will score more than that in probably less minutes? FWIW, I think Femi will be our leading scorer, around 13-14. What makes you think Ithiel will drop from almost 9 points to 4?

Regardless, I agree that winning games in the 60's might be how we need to win.
First off, Burton was playing for Texas Tech, not a starless Pitt team, starved for scoring.

I think Burton is in the top 3 guards. I think Horton is not.

I hope Coach Capel is focusing on consistency and defense.

Last edited:
I’m of the opinion he’s already done that by taking care of business in court and in the classroom

But you could be right
I am not saying Hugley is not better than Gueye.

I “think” Hugley will be made to earn his way back (early)

I don’t think he enters the season as a “named” starter. That would send a message you do not want to send.

In order to change a culture, you need to set a culture.

Gary ... I agree with BB's take on this as well. I believe that slate is now clean with John (as long as he keeps it this way). But like BB also said, you could be right. I'm basing my take on a few things I've heard plus a general opinion of things.

He was a backup who played 25+ minutes a game? That's a lot of minutes for a backup. Sounds like maybe he didn't start games, but he finished them.

He was more or less a starter -- averaged 4th most on the team in minutes.

I was liking what I was seeing out of Horton towards the end of the year. Thought he showed more ability than I thought he would as far as getting to the hoop off the dribble and finishing around the rim. He’s a flawed player - especially on defense - but we have a collection of flawed players.

Why would you compare to Mike Cook at ECU ppg when I was taking direct results of Nike playing for Pitt against ACC competition after X left? This is by far the closest correlation as to what to expect. I'm not looking at Miami of Ohio PPG.
Because they’re very similar players in terms of production at their previous stops and you’re using a very small sample size where he average 12 shots a game to average 15. That’s not very efficient. He needs to be more efficient.

Mike averaged the same amount of points in a better conference at ECU than Nike did at the MAC. We could only hope he learns to become efficient like Mike did and have a season near as good as him.

I am hoping for a new found emphasis on defense and physicality.

Because they’re very similar players in terms of production at their previous stops and you’re using a very small sample size where he average 12 shots a game to average 15. That’s not very efficient. He needs to be more efficient.

Mike averaged the same amount of points in a better conference at ECU than Nike did at the MAC. We could only hope he learns to become efficient like Mike did and have a season near as good as him.
Nike deferred when there were people to defer to.

Nike shot when there was no one to score.

I expect Burton deferred at Texas Tech.

Hopefully, we will be a balanced team and no one will be deferring or forcing.

I don’t understand the knock against him being that he’s no more than an ACC Backup. Does anyone think he was brought in to be a legit ACC starter?

If he ends up being a respectable ACC backup, isn’t that better than what we have had as Pitt backups in recent years?

Nike deferred when there were people to defer to.

Nike shot when there was no one to score.

I expect Burton deferred at Texas Tech.

Hopefully, we will be a balanced team and no one will be deferring or forcing.

Reasonable thoughts, even if I don't necessarily agree. We will only know when we know in 6 months or so.

I don’t understand the knock against him being that he’s no more than an ACC Backup. Does anyone think he was brought in to be a legit ACC starter?

If he ends up being a respectable ACC backup, isn’t that better than what we have had as Pitt backups in recent years?

It will be a big help if he can be more consistent and productive than Terrell Brown was.

I really don’t understand the disrespect for Horton on this board. Yes he is what he is... but he’s also our leading returning scorer and he’s gonna hit 3’s. We have absolutely no idea what to expect out of any other member of the team.
I blame your posts from last year...😁

My biggest surprise candidate is Santos.
If he isn't injury prone.
He was averaging 29 pts and 8 before his season ended in the same league Femi was in. His stroke looks so nice.
He also could not be a surprise at all and barely play. But i like going out on a limb sometimes.

Reactions: H2PisIT
My biggest surprise candidate is Santos.
If he isn't injury prone.
He was averaging 29 pts and 8 before his season ended in the same league Femi was in. His stroke looks so nice.
He also could not be a surprise at all and barely play. But i like going out on a limb sometimes.

How about this for going out on a limb? Why don't you proclaim "We are Back!" o_O

It will be a big help if he can be more consistent and productive than Terrell Brown was.

Even with the typical projection of new and returning players- this will be Jeff's best collection of back court players and bigs. That's really not saying much imo. His previous teams have been very young and lacked quality depth. Meyer's 4-12 comment seems pretty fair.

The degree of success this season will be determined by how much of JC and Toney's production can be replaced on the wings.

Jeff seems to have a pretty good grasp of identifying underrated players- if you need some optimism...

Couple more items on Gueye:

last year X was 25 for 78 from three. Gueye in his last two seasons is 23 for 72.

last years our centers T/Os versus Assists - 41/24 ( Brown was 17/2) - Gueye was 43/53 - 49/50 the year before that.

Hugley has a reputation as a very good passer. I think we will be getting a lot of assists out of the post.

Who predicted Horton would never score a pressured basket? 😉

I think Horton will average around 10 ppt. Same with Femi and Nike.
I said 8 PPG and he averaged 8.9. I said this after I was called an idiot for saying that our head coach saying there wasn’t a better scorer in the league was a dumb move because it clearly wasn’t gonna be accurate.

Not sure a team that finished 12th in the ACC had a ton of what I would call pressure baskets... but to each his own.

Even with the typical projection of new and returning players- this will be Jeff's best collection of back court players and bigs. That's really not saying much imo. His previous teams have been very young and lacked quality depth. Meyer's 4-12 comment seems pretty fair.

The degree of success this season will be determined by how much of JC and Toney's production can be replaced on the wings.

Jeff seems to have a pretty good grasp of identifying underrated players- if you need some optimism...

I like your last line!!

Most of our team would be backing up for top half ACC teams. But it's a start. Quality depth isn't something we have had in a very long time. I'm actually slightly optimistic that our bigs will be better than we've seen in a while.
Quality depth is something we probably have less of now than at any time before.

I like the add, and think it fits the general mold of the other pieces we’ve added this offseason.

There’s no doubt about it: as currently constructed it’s a team with limited offensive upside unless a bunch of guys take pretty significant steps forward. They’ll probably go through stretches where we’ll have serious trouble scoring the basketball, especially in conference play.

BUT, that said, I think it looks like a team that has a little more cohesive identity, it’s going to be a little more mature, a little more savvy, and a lot more unpleasant for other teams to try to score against. I think that could be fun to watch, and will alleviate some of the headaches we’ve experienced over the past few years (though those headaches might be replaced by some others).
I don't know how cohesive a bunch of guys who never played together before can even be.

Reactions: levance2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT