ADVERTISEMENT

Hafley on Jurkovec transfer

You need to watch the video because that quote was taken out of context. Hafley was very complimentary of Jurkovec but basically said that the young kid was going to be the starter and that he was happy to see him get to play his last year back home.
Yeah. I did watch it. The quote isn’t in any way a shot. What do you think was taken out of context?

The video was all straight forward but also painted it as if Phil was going to ride the bench. The real question is was Phil's best season 2020 or can he really take the next step? BC sucked last year so we can only hope BC made a big mistake.

Another reclamation project on our hands. Hope this one works out better than Slovis and max Browne.

Reactions: 303vND
The video was all straight forward but also painted it as if Phil was going to ride the bench. The real question is was Phil's best season 2020 or can he really take the next step? BC sucked last year so we can only hope BC made a big mistake.
It looks like they had a freshman playing well at the end of the season that they thought could be their qb of the future. They were terrible so it made sense to play the young guy and build for long term. I didn’t take it as a shot at Phil.

Hopefully, but what is the alternative?

Jurkovec was a mid-level mock draft guy in Cignetti's offense. Lets hope he can get back to that. Tom Savage was another grad transfer, highly rated coming out of HS who had a subpar college career before turning around his career here.

Classy interview by Hafley. Said all the right things including backing the guy who will be his QB next year.

I think Phil will do just fine here.

Yes, very nice interview. I thought Hafley jumped too quick for the 1st job that opened. You hear Narduzzi say all the time how he turned down other HC jobs because he was waiting for the right one. Hafley was the DC of Ohio State for crying out loud. He should have stayed there 5-6 years and then gotten a good mid-level job like a Michigan State, Pitt, Minnesota, VT, something like that.

Yes, very nice interview. I thought Hafley jumped too quick for the 1st job that opened. You hear Narduzzi say all the time how he turned down other HC jobs because he was waiting for the right one. Hafley was the DC of Ohio State for crying out loud. He should have stayed there 5-6 years and then gotten a good mid-level job like a Michigan State, Pitt, Minnesota, VT, something like that.
So many coaches get their careers completely derailed by jumping into a bad HC role and not succeeding.

What were the other openings that year? I think they included FSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Washington ... do we know that he didn't apply or interview for one of those positions and got turned down?

What were the other openings that year? I think they included FSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and Washington ... do we know that he didn't apply or interview for one of those positions and got turned down?

Those were probably too big a step for a short-time DC with no ties to those areas. He took a low P5 job quick instead of waiting a few years and then getting a better job.

I saw that Duke game, and he showed some promise. They'd be foolish to go with a 6th year Jurkovec over at least seeing what they have in him.

I'm not too big on Phil's game, honestly. But I'm writing this off as sort of a transitional year, so I don't really care. Reminds me of 2017 quite a bit. I think Veilleux could have some nice seasons at Pitt. His arm doesn't jump off the page, but he'll do well if he plays with intelligence and takes to this offense.

Reactions: Chaos
Listening to that statement, to me, Hafley is just hitting re-set and going with his young QB, and probably his younger guys at every position he can. After the season they just had, and the one before it wasn't a lot better, he needs to show his bosses that he is willing to shake things up and that he has a plan. It doesn't necessarily mean that The Jurk is second fiddle based on merit alone. BC also just fired their OC after one year, and Jurk's regression was a big reason why. I'm sure the next guy is being brought in to completely overhaul that $hitty offense and will likely be looking to spread the field and take advantage of a mobile QB and the short passing game.

That said, the flip side is that if The Jurk were all that and a bag of chips, he wouldn't have been walked to the door at BC. There's no getting around it, he was awful last year. He's another one year band-aid for a program that struggles mightily to recruit the QB position.

Listening to that statement, to me, Hafley is just hitting re-set and going with his young QB, and probably his younger guys at every position he can. After the season they just had, and the one before it wasn't a lot better, he needs to show his bosses that he is willing to shake things up and that he has a plan. It doesn't necessarily mean that The Jurk is second fiddle based on merit alone. BC also just fired their OC after one year, and Jurk's regression was a big reason why. I'm sure the next guy is being brought in to completely overhaul that $hitty offense and will likely be looking to spread the field and take advantage of a mobile QB and the short passing game.

That said, the flip side is that if The Jurk were all that and a bag of chips, he wouldn't have been walked to the door at BC. There's no getting around it, he was awful last year. He's another one year band-aid for a program that struggles mightily to recruit the QB position.

Say what you will about the high school recruiting, but we've been more spoiled than a lot of schools with QB play for some time now.

So many coaches get their careers completely derailed by jumping into a bad HC role and not succeeding.

There have been a decent run of semi-recent guys who have taken over dead end jobs and made something of them. Franklin at Vanderbilt, Fitzgerald at Northwestern, Cutcliffe at Duke, Clawson at Wake, etc. I'm not even counting places like Pitt, Illinois, Washington State, Iowa State, Oregon State, etc.... because those places are difficult to win at but not impossible.

The thing is, you need to strike while the iron is hot. Because Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. have shown that they'll come back down to Earth eventually.

Listening to that statement, to me, Hafley is just hitting re-set and going with his young QB, and probably his younger guys at every position he can. After the season they just had, and the one before it wasn't a lot better, he needs to show his bosses that he is willing to shake things up and that he has a plan.
Or use it as an excuse for another bad season. Hafley has won 15 games in three seasons with no bowl games and is now going to do a rebuild. He's done with Adazio's players and hasn't plugged much in to replace those guys. It's not so much he's hitting a re-set as much as he knows it was suicide for a 6th year guy to stick around in that mess. Yeah, the kid behind him isn't bad but does anyone really think they'll do better than two or three conference wins?

He’d have the same problem at any those spots that he has had at BC.

His problem so far is he continues to hire old, outdated NFL guys for his OC position. And BC’s offense reflects that.

He needs to have the realization that an old school defense guy like Saban had about offense, rather than continuing to double down like Pruitt or Muschamp with his old school offensive mentality.

good asst coaches, good coordinators dont always make good Head Coaches. Hafley seems like a Foge Fazio clone, 21st century version.. Great recruiter, good coordinator, gawd awful HC..

Say what you will about the high school recruiting, but we've been more spoiled than a lot of schools with QB play for some time now.
I don't know about that. Pickett delivered one phenomenal year out of the 5 he was here. Peterman 1 really good year. Both were helped immensely by their OCs.

Then there was one good year from Savage on a bad team. Those 3 all made the league, although it became pretty obvious pretty quickly that Peterman had no business playing at that level. And Savage was a kickaround type.

Those years were all pretty far apart. There has been zero consistency from the QB position from year to year. Of course much of that has to do with the OC carousel.

Am I missing someone? I don't think 2 good and 1 great offensive seasons from the QB position is a very good 10 year run at the QB position.

Or use it as an excuse for another bad season. Hafley has won 15 games in three seasons with no bowl games and is now going to do a rebuild. He's done with Adazio's players and hasn't plugged much in to replace those guys. It's not so much he's hitting a re-set as much as he knows it was suicide for a 6th year guy to stick around in that mess. Yeah, the kid behind him isn't bad but does anyone really think they'll do better than two or three conference wins?
Point is his seat is hot. He needs to show the people he works for that he's trying something else. What he was doing until now clearly wasn't working. I'm also skeptical that it will make any difference, but it may buy him another 2 years.

I'm not too big on Phil's game, honestly. But I'm writing this off as sort of a transitional year, so I don't really care. Reminds me of 2017 quite a bit. I think Veilleux could have some nice seasons at Pitt. His arm doesn't jump off the page, but he'll do well if he plays with intelligence and takes to this offense.
I'm not either. Besides not being able to stay on the field, he lacks accuracy in the short- and mid-range game. I do like that he can move and his deep ball, but the overall game just isn't there. I think a competition with the younger guys would've been pretty exciting and Pitt is going to say there is a competition, but they didn't bring in Jurkovec to ride the bench. They know he's played in Cignetti's system, so rather than do some fake QB competition (which they will), just name him the starter and allow him to work with the ones all offseason.

I don't know about that. Pickett delivered one phenomenal year out of the 5 he was here. Peterman 1 really good year. Both were helped immensely by their OCs.

Then there was one good year from Savage on a bad team. Those 3 all made the league, although it became pretty obvious pretty quickly that Peterman had no business playing at that level. And Savage was a kickaround type.

Those years were all pretty far apart. There has been zero consistency from the QB position from year to year. Of course much of that has to do with the OC carousel.

Am I missing someone? I don't think 2 good and 1 great offensive seasons from the QB position is a very good 10 year run at the QB position.

Pickett was pretty good in 2019 and then I would say really good in 2020. Had he left after 2020, he'd have been a midround pick. Having a midround pick on your roster in college means you've got a pretty solid guy. Savage and Peterman were both midround selections. I'm not suggesting we had Cam Newton every year, but there are some pretty bad QB's across the college football landscape. Even Slovis could at least sling it (though I'm not suggesting he was good by any means). But I would say 2017, 2018, and 2022 were the only years were it wasn't at least solid.

Pickett was pretty good in 2019 and then I would say really good in 2020. Had he left after 2020, he'd have been a midround pick. Having a midround pick on your roster in college means you've got a pretty solid guy. Savage and Peterman were both midround selections. I'm not suggesting we had Cam Newton every year, but there are some pretty bad QB's across the college football landscape. Even Slovis could at least sling it (though I'm not suggesting he was good by any means). But I would say 2017, 2018, and 2022 were the only years were it wasn't at least solid.
His receivers also led the NCAA in drops a couple years. Besides being stat killers, the drops cut short a lot of drives.

Point is his seat is hot. He needs to show the people he works for that he's trying something else. What he was doing until now clearly wasn't working. I'm also skeptical that it will make any difference, but it may buy him another 2 years.
His buyout might be a bigger determining factor but he really doesn't have long if things don't improve.

The thing is, you need to strike while the iron is hot. Because Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, etc. have shown that they'll come back down to Earth eventually.

Obviously context matters (how do the teams in your conference recruit? Are they living up to their recruiting ranking? Etc.).
But every team without elite recruiting eventually comes down to earth. Which is why, as the guys on the Cover 3 Podcast like to say: Every Coach is hired to eventually be fired.

It’s just too difficult to sustain it if you aren’t in some elite recruiting hotbed and capable of landing those guys on a yearly basis.

Missouri when it first got to the SEC is a perfect example of that. They won the East twice after their move.

How did they do that?

1. They landed some guys that outperformed their 3* ranking and were 5* college players. And that is technically within your control to do every year. But it’s technically within your control for the offense to score a TD on every single play. It’s just borderline impossible though.

2. The SEC East powers were all reallyyyyyy down at the same time. So the teams whose level you couldn’t compete at if they got it going, were crippling themselves.
But that’s something you *don’t* control. Whether UGA gets its sh*t together and really goes all in and leaves you behind, is something you just have to hold your breath and wait to see. You can’t do anything about it.

Find any of the 3* type programs that have had runs. Even small ones. And then a fall, and both these things are usually what brought about their rise, and then the course correction of both of them their fall.
And the coaches ride the wave.

His receivers also led the NCAA in drops a couple years. Besides being stat killers, the drops cut short a lot of drives.

Pickett was enjoying a really nice yearly improvement progression going into 2020. And then the bottom fell out and he regressed in his QB grade.

He never graded out as some elite QB before 2020. I’m not sure he even graded out as very good. But he was solid to good, and everybody expected the very good to come in ‘20.

I think it’s the fact that the offense as a whole graded out so horribly his first 3 years as a full time starter, that kind of sets the narrative of him as a QB. But that wasn’t his fault.

Reactions: pittdan77
Pickett was enjoying a really nice yearly improvement progression going into 2020. And then the bottom fell out and he regressed in his QB grade.

He never graded out as some elite QB before 2020. I’m not sure he even graded out as very good. But he was solid to good, and everybody expected the very good to come in ‘20.

I think it’s the fact that the offense as a whole graded out so horribly his first 3 years as a full time starter, that kind of sets the narrative of him as a QB. But that wasn’t his fault.
I do recall the offense being ranked up near 100th.

Have a good local prospect that graduates from BVA next year. 6’4” Braden Laux. Great kid, great family. Nice arm, fast enough and will run over you to get the extra yard!

Picked up his first 2 offers recently. Western Kentucky and Eastern Michigan! I know that he’s been down to Hoopie Land a couple of times. Pitt needs to get on board here

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT