ADVERTISEMENT

HailtoPitt - Message Board Geniuses

I’ll take the null hypothesis that they won’t

what appeal do they have to recruits ?
the beautiful landscape obviously.

See the source image

I’ll take the null hypothesis that they won’t

what appeal do they have to recruits ?

They recruit in the top 25 most years. You guys are using ends to justify the means. But the recruiting hasn't been bad.

I think SMF had it about right with where they are potential-wise. 5th or 6th (I think they're interchangeable with Wisconsin) in the BIG. That's not terrible. That's higher than we are in the ACC, and we just won it.

From 2008 - 2016, they won 9 or more games 8 out of 9 seasons. That isn't very long ago, and it's like everyone just forgets that it happened. No reason they can't win at least 8 almost every year and then rip off 10 or 11 wins every now and then.

Lol. They are not ahead of Michigan state. I’d argue UCLA has more potential.
Michigan State is a pretty tough job, they have just been lucky with coach hirings like Saban and Dantonio. Put in a normal random coach and they are 6-6/7-5. Michigan, OSU, ND all right there. PSU and Wisky not far. That's not an easy place to win and they dont have Nebraska's resources.

Their Rivals recruiting rankings:

2016 - 24
2017 - 20
2018 - 21
2019 - 15
2020 - 17
2021 - 18
2022 - 41

That's way better than Wisconsin and Iowa, which are sister programs to Nebraska. They get plenty of guys from Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc. Those guys can't all go to the schools in their home states.

People around the sports world aren’t laughing with you, but rather at you.
Looking at that in context, with the comments below it, it's pretty clear that the laughter is directed at the idea that Narduzzi would actually be a candidate for the Nebby job at this point. Not so much at a Pitt fan wanting to unload him.

They recruit in the top 25 most years. You guys are using ends to justify the means. But the recruiting hasn't been bad.

I think SMF had it about right with where they are potential-wise. 5th or 6th (I think they're interchangeable with Wisconsin) in the BIG. That's not terrible. That's higher than we are in the ACC, and we just won it.

From 2008 - 2016, they won 9 or more games 8 out of 9 seasons. That isn't very long ago, and it's like everyone just forgets that it happened. No reason they can't win at least 8 almost every year and then rip off 10 or 11 wins every now and then.

How are we 6th or 7th in "potential" in the ACC when we (a) just won it; and (b) are tied for 2nd in ACC wins over the last 8-10 years? And all that with fairly average recruiting.

Yeah, what exactly in my post is being criticised? It's funny that Nebraska fans think they are still a high profile job. There are at the VERY LEAST 20 jobs that are considered more high profile than Nebraska. Their recruiting is very pedestrian. No proven coach is coming there without a ton of money. And it's extremely like they will whiff on a bunch of guys who they think will want the job, and end up settling for someone their fans aren't going to be thrilled with.

And I do think that Narduzzi's hiring of Cignetti has shown to be epicly bad. And I don't think he will willingly fire him, and it's going to ge bad for the Pitt football program.
You wish, creepy NITwit.

How are we 6th or 7th in "potential" in the ACC when we (a) just won it; and (b) are tied for 2nd in ACC wins over the last 8-10 years? And all that with fairly average recruiting.

How does winning a conference mean you have the most potential as a program? Wake Forest won the Atlantic last year, and they unequivocally have the least amount of potential in that division.

Northwestern has won the BIG West two out of the last four years, and the same applies to them.

Having potential and realizing it are not the same thing. You'd be left in quite a mathematical dilemma if you used results to measure potential.

How does winning a conference mean you have the most potential as a program? Wake Forest won the Atlantic last year, and they unequivocally have the least amount of potential in that division.

Northwestern has won the BIG West two out of the last four years, and the same applies to them.

Having potential and realizing it are not the same thing. You'd be left in quite a mathematical dilemma if you used results to measure potential.
Didn’t wake just go to Tallahassee and beat FSU last week ?
Coaching matters most

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I seriously want to know what a random college football fan would think is so stupid about that post. What would make an Ole Miss fan read that and think, "wow, that dude is dumb AF, that would never happen"
What's stupid about that post is the fact that Narduzzi isn't on any P5 program's list of potential HC candidates, let alone Nebraska's.

Maybe Nebraska can't do any better, but they sure as hell think they can. And they are sure as hell gonna try, and they sure as hell can't afford the PR hit they would take for hiring a Narduzzi, especially after the Frost debacle.

You think PItt hoops fans were pissed and it was bad PR when Stallings was hired? That would pale in comparion to the outcry if Nebraska hired a Doozy type guy.

Didn’t wake just go to Tallahassee and beat FSU last week ?
Coaching matters most

Yes, an upperclassmen-laden Wake team beat a rebuilding FSU team.

If each of those programs are firing on all cylinders and maximizing their potential, however, FSU wins that game like 92 times out of 100.

Last year was about as good as Wake could ever do, and that required a lot of ACC teams to be down. FSU can win national championships.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

If each of those programs are firing on all cylinders and maximizing their potential, however, FSU wins that game like 92 times out of 100.

Last year was about as good as Wake could ever do, and that required a lot of ACC teams to be down. FSU can win national championships.
fsu has been rebuilding for 4 years. how long are they going to use that excuse

I get it. But, like I said, having potential and living up to it just aren't the same thing. Texas has potential. Tons of it. More than Clemson, in fact, although the results have been very much the opposite.
between potential and whatever Wake has, i'll take Wake. wins are kind of a nice thing, nicer than potential.

Their Rivals recruiting rankings:

2016 - 24
2017 - 20
2018 - 21
2019 - 15
2020 - 17
2021 - 18
2022 - 41

That's way better than Wisconsin and Iowa, which are sister programs to Nebraska. They get plenty of guys from Texas, Florida, Georgia, etc. Those guys can't all go to the schools in their home states.

Maybe a result of the famous Rivals bump in stars for committing to a B1G program, especially one with a "name" like Nebraska? Would be curious how many from the class of 2016 & 2017 are in the league now.

between potential and whatever Wake has, i'll take Wake. wins are kind of a nice thing, nicer than potential.

In the last 5 years, Wake has 34 wins and Texas has 33. You wouldn't know it, though. Why? Because fans know the potential of each program and measure them according to that.

We talk about Wake like they're this resounding success story and Texas like they're some grave disappointment. And both are true. Even though the results have been somewhat similar for both.

Yeah, what exactly in my post is being criticised? It's funny that Nebraska fans think they are still a high profile job. There are at the VERY LEAST 20 jobs that are considered more high profile than Nebraska. Their recruiting is very pedestrian. No proven coach is coming there without a ton of money. And it's extremely like they will whiff on a bunch of guys who they think will want the job, and end up settling for someone their fans aren't going to be thrilled with.

And I do think that Narduzzi's hiring of Cignetti has shown to be epicly bad. And I don't think he will willingly fire him, and it's going to ge bad for the Pitt football program.
It's not just their fans that think it's still a high profile job. It's the AD, the admin, the board of trustees, the people that write the big checks, and the entire institution.

That may be delusional on their part, but that's certainly the mindset. Nebraska is still relevant, as demontrated by the Frost saga that was ESPN headline fodder every week for two years. They may be riding on remote past success but there is no denying they are still a brand, albeit one that is fading fast. One more HC hiring whiff and they could fade from national relevance for good. Hire the right guy and they could easily get back in the annual top 20 picture especially in this transfer portal Wild West college football lives in today.

I would say hiring a Narduzzi into a program like that or like a Wisky would be a very low percentage likelihood to have an outcome that most fans would consider successful. And the people making the decisions at Nebby can't afford that risk.

im all in on Pat, no shame there. That doesnt mean he's above criticism though but people that want him fired after every loss makes me roll my eyes..
Not every loss. Just losses where his team is at home, has better players than the other team, is favored by 2-3 TDs or more, and looks like a clown show of bungles, mishaps, unforced penalties and mistakes in losing to that big underdog.

Well-coached teams have off games that they lose, but not ones that look like that.

Not every loss. Just losses where his team is at home, has better players than the other team, is favored by 2-3 TDs or more, and looks like a clown show of bungles, mishaps, unforced penalties and mistakes in losing to that big underdog.

Well-coached teams have off games that they lose, but not ones that look like that.
so lets fire him and start over. that makes sense.

Nebraska is dead program
No it isn't. It's not dead until the stands are half empty, the money stops coming in, and they stop being discussed on ESPN every week. Not until their own admin, fans and people believe that it's dead.

They might just be a Lance Leipold away from being a national factor again. Not a CFP team, but a good top 20 program.

It will be fun for the 5 minutes they have of it.

Clawson has done a great job at a never-was, football backwater. he deserves full credit for that. But as good of a coach as he is, he's still just a couple games over .500 at Wake. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because Wake is Wake. They are a 5000 student school with a 30,0000 seat stadium.

The thing about Wake is, they can start a season 7-0, and outside of their miniscule fan and alum base, nobody cares.

No it isn't. It's not dead until the stands are half empty, the money stops coming in, and they stop being discussed on ESPN every week. Not until their own admin, fans and people believe that it's dead.

They might just be a Lance Leipold away from being a national factor again. Not a CFP team, but a good top 20 program.

It's all cyclical, but acknowledging that doesn't allow for hot takes and definitive declarations.

From 1994 - 2011, Notre Dame averaged 7.2 wins per year. That's almost two decades. They were "done." Until they weren't.

"Done" is like what San Francisco basketball used to be compared to what it is now. But, as you said, as long as there is money and support, things can turn around for any of these programs.

so lets fire him and start over. that makes sense.
We have started over every year under Narduzzi. Kinda like a 20 handicap duffer that hits the occasional great shot but can never hit two in a row.

Remember the whole "undefeated going into the Miami game" and "CFP here we come" thing on this board? What was that, like two weeks ago?

It will be fun for the 5 minutes they have of it.

Clawson has done a great job at a never-was, football backwater. he deserves full credit for that. But as good of a coach as he is, he's still just a couple games over .500 at Wake. Not because he isn't a good coach, but because Wake is Wake. They are a 5000 student school with a 30,0000 seat stadium.

The thing about Wake is, they can start a season 7-0, and outside of their miniscule fan and alum base, nobody cares.
you think the college football world is at the end of their seats when Pitt is in the ACC championship game?

We have started over every year under Narduzzi. Kinda like a 20 handicap duffer that hits the occasional great shot but can never hit two in a row.

Remember the whole "undefeated going into the Miami game" and "CFP here we come" thing on this board? What was that, like two weeks ago?
yeah, we've been like that since Johnny Majors was recruiting 70+ players a class, it's not a new phenomenon. even Sherrill, with an unlimited bank account for the recruiting efforts (aka the golden panthers) couldnt avoid the annual "WTF" loss.

Will be interesting to see if this is the year we finally get bit by the transfer bug. Obviously Addison was a big loss, but we've still produced a net gain in transfers.

But if we suck this season and aren't expected to do much next season, I can think of at least ten guys who would be highly sought after and might consider their options. It's happened to even some really good programs. We've been fortunate to this point.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
yeah, we've been like that since Johnny Majors was recruiting 70+ players a class, it's not a new phenomenon. even Sherrill, with an unlimited bank account for the recruiting efforts (aka the golden panthers) couldnt avoid the annual "WTF" loss.

Why do Pitt fans think a WTF loss are unique to us? PSU vs the Illini last year would qualify, many others.

Wait until the season plays out. This was never going to be a 11-1 season. But I still consider less than 9-3 and being unranked at the end a disappointment.

Will be interesting to see if this is the year we finally get bit by the transfer bug. Obviously Addison was a big loss, but we've still produced a net gain in transfers.

But if we suck this season and aren't expected to do much next season, I can think of at least ten guys who would be highly sought after and might consider their options. It's happened to even some really good programs. We've been fortunate to this point.
Shouldn't you be sitting in a closed garage someplace with the engine running? Seek professional help.

Why do Pitt fans think a WTF loss are unique to us? PSU vs the Illini last year would qualify, many others.

Wait until the season plays out. This was never going to be a 11-1 season. But I still consider less than 9-3 and being unranked at the end a disappointment.

If we get to 9-3 I won't care how we've gotten there. That seems like a very tall task given what I've seen on the field so far, but we shall see.

One bad thing about this schedule is that we have to wait until at least October 22nd to get this bad taste out of our mouths. There isn't much we could do against a lousy VT team that would make me feel a whole lot better.

I think Louisville is a must-win. Get to 5-2. Then if you lose to Carolina, you're at least going 8-3 heading into Miami... I think.

If we get to 9-3 I won't care how we've gotten there. That seems like a very tall task given what I've seen on the field so far, but we shall see.

One bad thing about this schedule is that we have to wait until at least October 22nd to get this bad taste out of our mouths. There isn't much we could do against a lousy VT team that would make me feel a whole lot better.
9-3 gets us into the ACC game, that would be a HUGE success. i think even 8-4 gets us in. the coastal winner is going to have at least two conference losses, probably 3.

9-3 gets us into the ACC game, that would be a HUGE success. i think even 8-4 gets us in. the coastal winner is going to have at least two conference losses, probably 3.

I don't think 9-3 with a loss to UNC, for example, gets us in necessarily. Three-way ties aside, that would mean they would have to go 5-3. But they're going to score a ton of points on many Coastal teams that can't match them.

The good thing is they have Wake and NC State... both tough games.

And then I could use the same logic with Miami. Lose to either of those teams and you have to finish a full game better... and that's including the freebie you already gave away.

Even in that goofy 2018 season, we were still 6-2 in the ACC. I assume the Coastal winner this season will be no worse than that.

Edit: You have to go back to 2012 to find the last 5-3 Coastal winner. Three teams finished 5-3, and it was decided on tie breakers. It's possible, I guess; it just isn't common.

Based on what ?
History ?
FSU and Miami have floundered for a decade despite talent .

The annual WTF loss is a lot more excusable when you win 9-10 of the other games on the schedule.

1. Clemson
2. FSU
3. Miami
4. NC State
5. UNC
6. Pitt, VT, Lou, maybe UVa basically interchangebale here.

The annual WTF loss is a lot more excusable when you win 9-10 of the other games on the schedule.
And Sherrills losses were hardly WTF. The ground crew would still be soaking up the puddles of GT bodily excretions if one if Sherrill’s teams had been able to face them last week with everything else equal.

Reactions: Large Panther
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT