ADVERTISEMENT

Hayes for USWNT?

King Of All Message Boards

Athletic Director
Jan 9, 2009

@Fk_Pitt does your love of Chelsea extend to the women? If so I’m sure you can provide some good input. May be able to regardless. I haven’t a clue.

I do follow the Chelsea women and have a lot to say but I’m tailgating right now. I’ll check back in this weekend and share my thoughts. I’m intrigued and I will leave it at that for now.

Ok. Within the womens football world, she’s at the top of her craft. Very well respected by men and women worldwide. And she’s respected and adored by her players.

I can’t say enough about her. She’s hard working, incredibly hard working actually, and ambitious. Does she want to win a World Cup for the USA? No! If she wins one, she will want to win 5. That’s just how she’s built.

She got her start collegiately in the US, coached club soccer here, but earned her stripes building Chelsea from nothing in 2012 to one of the top 4 jobs in the world. She’s won everything there, except a UCL. And frankly, with the amount of talent at Chelsea, part of me has questioned why she’s fallen short of a Euro championship to this point. But winning that final game or two is sometimes a coin flip and she hasn’t got it done. But domestically she and Chelsea win the Women’s Super League now as much as Man City wins on the men’s side.

The former owner at Chelsea believed in her and gave her everything she asked for. The new owners have done the same. The men around the game respect the hell out of her.

In the locker room, the only thing bad I can say is Chelsea sings Country Roads after every win. I’ve shared those videos here from time to time. So that’s annoying, but 1000 times less annoying than the cancerous bullying inside the locker room that was the culture of the USWNT over the last 10 years.

2 things remain a question mark for me. How tough is she with strong personalities? I don’t know if she had that at Chelsea. But we know she will have that here because there’s a culture here that remains even though the team has gotten younger and the bad eggs have and are aging out.

The other question mark is tactics. It’s easy to win when you have the talent she’s had. She likes to play with a lot of width and I can see someone like Mallory Pugh having a bang up future with the amount of space that she will have through the middle. But as far as tactics, I know that people like Anson Dorrance were overwhelmed by her acumen 20 years ago, and I’m sure she’s improved on it even more being 20 years older and wiser.

One last thing. She has to be one of the highest paid coaches in the world at a club like Chelsea who has fully committed to and embraced the women’s game. So for US Soccer to slide in and grab her…it’s incredibly ambitious and had to have taken a huge investment.

Funny story that I shared here a few months ago.

My daughter played collegiately here and then went to England and played collegiately for a year in grad school in England. She was training with and had an opportunity to play for a club that at the time was 3 points away from promotion to the women’s super league. They were in Wnglands 2nd division. Ultimately I think it was Liverpool or Man Inited who won the 2nd division and promotion that year (only 1 team gets promoted). This was during covid and the season ended abruptly and the 1st place team won promotion. The club she was associated with was 3 points back when the lock downs came. My daughter elected to come home stateside and start her career. I am saying this because my kid played at a high level, but she didn’t follow the womens super league. She only grew up following the Chelsea men like me. And the reason we became chelsea fans was because of frank Lampard.

Ok fast forward to this year. My daughter was in a London hotel 2 days after the FA football seasons ended. She naively wondered into the hotel restaurant and soon realized that she accidentally crashed the FA Coaches Awards ceremony afterparty. Every coach in England was there, except Pep who still had a UCL Final to coach. She became starstruck when she saw Frank Lampard sitting at a table with a bunch of other coaches that she didn’t recognize. John Terry was even at the table. She knew him but didn’t really care. Robbie Keane was there too but she didn’t know who he was. Anyways, after a couple minutes of conversation with Frank and surely infringing on his time lol, she leaned over and asked a heavy set blond woman to take a picture of her and frank. She said that the woman kind of got a chuckle over the whole thing because my daughter didn’t recognize her as anyone of significance. So the woman used my daughters phone to take a picture of my daughter and Frank. Turns out the woman was Emma Hayes, who an hour earlier received her award as the FA women’s coach of the year in England.

Last edited:
Sounds like it’s done @Fk_Pitt

May be the same link as above but updated

Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea. These are less than enthusiastic days for me with my Chelsea, so I’m not always quick to check in on things in west London. Instead of waking up and checking my Chelsea stuff online or listening to Sirius XMFC in the car, I’m instead reading my NFL timelines and listening to 93.7 FM for their steeler talk. But it’s Sunday and now is around the time I look to see if the chelsea women are playing. Most of the time they are on Paramount+ on Sunday mornings. But they already won this weekend by beating Aston Villa 6-0. And that’s the problem with the WSL. Chelsea wins almost all their games because they are that much more talented than the others. So you really don’t get to see a tactical masterclass on display. But when they play Arsenal or Man City, it’s a good watch if you want to check them out.

Would be a homerun hire, we should have her coach the men's team
Yeah, from Kings linked article it says she’s expected to earn the same salary as Berhalter. SMFs head is going to explode.

Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea. These are less than enthusiastic days for me with my Chelsea, so I’m not always quick to check in on things in west London. Instead of waking up and checking my Chelsea stuff online or listening to Sirius XMFC in the car, I’m instead reading my NFL timelines and listening to 93.7 FM for their steeler talk. But it’s Sunday and now is around the time I look to see if the chelsea women are playing. Most of the time they are on Paramount+ on Sunday mornings. But they already won this weekend by beating Aston Villa 6-0. And that’s the problem with the WSL. Chelsea wins almost all their games because they are that much more talented than the others. So you really don’t get to see a tactical masterclass on display. But when they play Arsenal or Man City, it’s a good watch if you want to check them out.
I still don’t have a clue what I’m watching in terms of any strategy or tactics. I’m sure it’s far more complex than maybe I’ll ever even know.

I still don’t have a clue what I’m watching in terms of any strategy or tactics. I’m sure it’s far more complex than maybe I’ll ever even know.
Well I think the overriding point is she has great teams and great talent. But you know how it goes, if you don’t coach right, you can lose with good talent. And she doesn’t. So that should count for something.

One other thing that I just read that I wasn’t aware of…while she’s adored, she can be tough. Apparently she railed into her star studded locker room and told them all that if they don’t get their shit together, she will replace them. So in a way, coaching at Chelsea is like coaching the USA. At Chelsea she had checkbook resources from ownership. With the USA, she will have a deep player pool of resources.

The only downside of this move is that she's not taking over the US full time until after the Chelsea season ends in May. With the Olympics going on this summer she's not going to have a lot of time with the team before that begins.

She'll have at most nine days between the end of Chelsea's season and one of the two international windows between then and the start of the Olympics, and as few as two days if Chelsea makes the Champions League final. That seems far less than ideal.

The only downside of this move is that she's not taking over the US full time until after the Chelsea season ends in May. With the Olympics going on this summer she's not going to have a lot of time with the team before that begins.

She'll have at most nine days between the end of Chelsea's season and one of the two international windows between then and the start of the Olympics, and as few as two days if Chelsea makes the Champions League final. That seems far less than ideal.
Yeah and some of the ipcoming international windows, she has critical matches at Chelsea.

So that’s annoying, but 1000 times less annoying than the cancerous bullying inside the locker room that was the culture of the USWNT over the last 10 years.
Never heard this before. Care to share more detail?

Never heard this before. Care to share more detail?
Eh. It’s been discussed here before. Not really feeling like discussing it because I really hope that stuff is gone now. But people I know inside US Soccer have said that the strongest personality in that locker room (you know who) made the environment very tough for those who didn’t agree with her activism. Because she did good things for all of them on the equal pay stuff, they essentially all felt they had to bow to her every wish which included the kneeling and other distractions. There was a lot of peer pressure inside that locker room and the environment wasn’t great. That stuff will hopefully be gone now.

Reactions: RightSaidTed
Eh. It’s been discussed here before. Not really feeling like discussing it because I really hope that stuff is gone now. But people I know inside US Soccer have said that the strongest personality in that locker room (you know who) made the environment very tough for those who didn’t agree with her activism. Because she did good things for all of them on the equal pay stuff, they essentially all felt they had to bow to her every wish which included the kneeling and other distractions. There was a lot of peer pressure inside that locker room and the environment wasn’t great. That stuff will hopefully be gone now.
Thanks. Definitely time for a leadership transition.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

@Fk_Pitt does your love of Chelsea extend to the women? If so I’m sure you can provide some good input. May be able to regardless. I haven’t a clue.
Good article from the UK on Hayes. Not sure there’s anything new here but the source might be more reputable than me (some bloke on a message board). Lol. It also mentions her salary and a few other nuggets. The article calls her ruthless. Might be just what we need.

Good article from the UK on Hayes. Not sure there’s anything new here but the source might be more reputable than me (some bloke on a message board). Lol. It also mentions her salary and a few other nuggets. The article calls her ruthless. Might be just what we need.

It seems like a big swing so that’s good. Nothing but glowing pieces about what she’s done. We’ll have to see if the women respond.

I wonder if there was even a fraction of that when looking for a manager for the mens’ team.

It seems like a big swing so that’s good. Nothing but glowing pieces about what she’s done. We’ll have to see if the women respond.

I wonder if there was even a fraction of that when looking for a manager for the mens’ team.
What do you mean? I’ll respond while not knowing exactly what you meant. We may not be enamored with Gregg but I think accountability seems to be a thing for him as we’ve seen with the Reyna situation. I don’t think we could have swung for the fences though because the top football managers aren’t coming here for what we can pay on the mens side.

But the problem we have on the mens side is I wonder how much power the players have. Because let’s be honest, they’re all bigger than Gregg Berhalter. Which is kind of a good thing as we now have a full side of real talented footballers playing at the highest levels of club soccer. But with that comes a locker room that might push back against a jabroni like Gregg and we may see future challenges because of it.

What do you mean? I’ll respond while not knowing exactly what you meant. We may not be enamored with Gregg but I think accountability seems to be a thing for him as we’ve seen with the Reyna situation. I don’t think we could have swung for the fences though because the top football managers aren’t coming here for what we can pay on the mens side.

But the problem we have on the mens side is I wonder how much power the players have. Because let’s be honest, they’re all bigger than Gregg Berhalter. Which is kind of a good thing as we now have a full side of real talented footballers playing at the highest levels of club soccer. But with that comes a locker room that might push back against a jabroni like Gregg and we may see future challenges because of it.
Well I was going to expand originally but didn’t.

All I have heard is that Berhalter is nothing special and there was a ton of MEH when he was rehired.

Hayes seems to be anything but by all accounts. They took a big swing and connected.

Did they take any such swings on the men’s side? I get the manager would have to say yes so you can’t hire someone who doesn’t want the job. I’m just wondering if they took a serious swing to upgrade.

It’s really hard to get womens soccer info sometimes. But I’ve been periodically and patiently waiting for Macario’s return to the pitch at Chelsea. And finally it looks like she returned to training this week after 18 months of her ACL injury. Sam Kerr just tore her ACL last week (gut punch for Australia’s olympic hopes), so that means that Emma Hayes’ top 2 strikers at Chelsea are Mia Fischel and Kat Macario. Pretty cool having the heirs to Alex Morgan already in the hands of the future womens national team coach (Emma Hayes). Could be a head start to the Paris Olympics. And there are rumbling that Mel Swanson will be healthy by then too.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
The January international break sucks. I hate it. No games in the EPL are scheduled and there aren’t any international games worth watching. I think USA plays today on TNT, but it’s all MLS jabroni’s. So I’ll pass. I do think AC Milan plays later and that can be watched via Paramount+. Pretty amazing that Christian Pulisic was the player of the month in December for the entire league. My Chelsea dropped the ball with him. Not surprised though because every big club in England would have done the same because he’s a yank and the EPL is “too physical” for him. That’s the rhetoric and it’s complete horseshit.

But in other USA soccer news, Cat Macario could be in the squad tomorrow morning vs Man U at Stamford Bridge. No other soccer or sport will be on at 7:30, so I’ll be watching on Paramount+. Hope she sees time.

The January international break sucks.

This isn't actually a FIFA window (except for the African and Asian Cups), which is why the US game is all MLS guys and no one from Europe. The European teams didn't have to release anyone for the US game, and I'm guessing that US Soccer didn't even bother to ask.

If it was an official FIFA window, the EPL, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A, they'd all be off this weekend. But they are all playing.

This isn't actually a FIFA window (except for the African and Asian Cups), which is why the US game is all MLS guys and no one from Europe. The European teams didn't have to release anyone for the US game, and I'm guessing that US Soccer didn't even bother to ask.

If it was an official FIFA window, the EPL, La Liga, the Bundesliga, Serie A, they'd all be off this weekend. But they are all playing.
Right. But even at that, the US has traditionally approached this window with curtain jerkers.

Slovenia wins, 1-0. The US played 11 debutantes, including 7 who started. Slovenia played 13 debutantes, including 8 who started.

Wow. We suck as a nation.

You know, in looking at that roster they should have used that game as sort of a preparation for the Olympics, meaning playing almost all U23 players. A perfect chance to get playing time together for some of those guys.

So of course Burp did no such thing.

Macario still didn’t make the bench today vs Man U but she has several months to be ready for the Olympics. Mia Fischel got the start for Chelsea at forward and they moved Lauren James from right back to a forward position with the depth issue chelsea has at the position with Sam Kerr out. And Lauren James has 2 goals in the first half. What a baller she is. Not sure Fischel is the answer. Cracking that USA olympic roster won’t be easy.

So Mia Fischel herself is now out with an ACL…but I don’t think she was ever a threat for the USWNT in the Olympics.

But guess who is finally back as of today? Cat Macario sees her first action in almost two years and scored a goal vs Leicester. Just in time. The US needs her ready and fit.

So Mia Fischel herself is now out with an ACL…but I don’t think she was ever a threat for the USWNT in the Olympics.

She got hurt in the practices leading up to the Gold Cup that they are playing now. That is not a guarantee that she would have made the Olympic roster, because the Olympic roster is smaller than a normal roster. But she surely had a chance.

She got hurt in the practices leading up to the Gold Cup that they are playing now. That is not a guarantee that she would have made the Olympic roster, because the Olympic roster is smaller than a normal roster. But she surely had a chance.
Fischel? Eh. I know she got hurt in the January international window but I didn’t think it was interesting enough to post here. While at Chelsea she only scored a goal or two this season as a #9 who got plenty of starts and minutes. I’m not sure that’s good enough for the USWNT. Unless you names Alex Morgan. Lol. Glad Macario is back. Hope she and Swanson can stay healthy and lead us to gold.

Fischel? Eh. I know she got hurt in the January international window but I didn’t think it was interesting enough to post here.

She got hurt two weeks ago, on February 19, in training for the Gold Cup. In fact, your gal Alex Morgan is only on this team's roster because she was the injury replacement for Fishel.

She got hurt two weeks ago, on February 19, in training for the Gold Cup. In fact, your gal Alex Morgan is only on this team's roster because she was the injury replacement for Fishel.
That’s what I meant. Got my mens and womens windows mixed up. Bottom line is I watch a lot of Chelsea games and I’m not sold on Fischel. Best thing she had going for her is that Hayes is her club coach and future WNT coach. She’s not good enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Cat and Emma with a long embrace. Our USWNT future.

Nice to see it on ESPN’s home page.

US is playing the Canucks tonight in the semifinal of the women's Gold Cup. It is/has been raining so hard that there are puddles on the field and the ball won't roll right. But they keep playing on.

The US leads 1-0 at the half, because a Canadian defender who was about ten yards out from her goalie tried to play a back pass to her, and the ball basically stopped about half way there. Jaeden Shaw got to it first and slotted it home.

There are people out on the pitch now with rollers trying to push some of the water off the field.

Winner gets Brazil on Sunday.

US is playing the Canucks tonight in the semifinal of the women's Gold Cup. It is/has been raining so hard that there are puddles on the field and the ball won't roll right. But they keep playing on.

The US leads 1-0 at the half, because a Canadian defender who was about ten yards out from her goalie tried to play a back pass to her, and the ball basically stopped about half way there. Jaeden Shaw got to it first and slotted it home.

There are people out on the pitch now with rollers trying to push some of the water off the field.

Winner gets Brazil on Sunday.
So Brazil on Sunday it is. How does the lineup look in the Gold Cup? I haven’t paid attention at all We lost in group play to Mexico. That’s not good.

So Brazil on Sunday it is. How does the lineup look in the Gold Cup? I haven’t paid attention at all We lost in group play to Mexico. That’s not good.

I didn't see any of the Mexico game. I watched some of last night and I saw some of two of the other games. The thing I like is that they are playing younger players. For instance last night their four starting defenders were 25, 25, 23 and 23. The started Korbin Albert, who is 20 and Sam Coffey, 25, in the midfield. And two of the three up top were 21 year old Trinity Rodman and 19 year old Jaedyn Shaw. Shaw has now played four games, starting three, and has four goals. Veterans like Sauerbrunn, Dahlkamper and Dunn are on the roster, but none of the three played last night. So at least you are getting to see some different players.

I wonder how involved Hayes is in roster decisions and game day lineups? Hopefully she's the one telling them to play the younger players instead of some of the same old, same old.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT