ADVERTISEMENT

Hood-Schifino Charlotte question

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Did the family move to Charlotte for reasons other than basketball or was it purely a basketball move. I ask that because I would wonder now that they know where he is going to college, that they move back to Pittsburgh and have him finish his HS career here (hopefully in 2021 by reclassifying). He would be somewhat of a local celebrity playing his last year or 2 in the WPIAL.

Did the family move to Charlotte for reasons other than basketball or was it purely a basketball move. I ask that because I would wonder now that they know where he is going to college, that they move back to Pittsburgh and have him finish his HS career here (hopefully in 2021 by reclassifying). He would be somewhat of a local celebrity playing his last year or 2 in the WPIAL.
I can’t answer the question but can only relay a quote ... reclassification has not be considered nor discussed.

Drew and the family said he is not reclassifying and he's playing for one of those teams that plays National schedule so why would he come back to play WPIAL not saying he couldn't but I think you'll get better exposure and competition playing that type of schedule

Reactions: jctrack
Drew and the family said he is not reclassifying and he's playing for one of those teams that plays National schedule so why would he come back to play WPIAL not saying he couldn't but I think you'll get better exposure and competition playing that type of schedule
Why does he need more exposure if he’s 100% committed to Pitt??

I would imagine because more exposure Kees his ranking higher, increasing his likelihood of being an AA and getting the type of coverage from NBA scouts that comes with it.

Yes. It's that exposure which is key to making yourself a "one-and-done" candidate which is the stepping stone to an early start on a lucrative NBA career.

Why does he need more exposure if he’s 100% committed to Pitt??

I'm not talking about exposure as in the Limelight I'm talking exposure to better competition that will help his game grow. I know when I played and I was going against better competition and older guys it made me a whole lot better so that exposure to better competition maybe it will help so that's what I'm hoping happens for him.

Your a one and done guy because of your talent not because of your hype !

IMO It's a combination of both because if you have the talent it's the hype that's going to make people take notice of you to get to the next level. My cousin had NBA talent but he didn't get the hype playing for Brashear years ago so he went down as a very good City League player.

I thought I saw a quote about getting him away from the burgh because there is a lil riff raff around here and that would help him be singularly focused.

IMO It's a combination of both because if you have the talent it's the hype that's going to make people take notice of you to get to the next level. My cousin had NBA talent but he didn't get the hype playing for Brashear years ago so he went down as a very good City League player.
They find guys all over the world now , they’d even find them in the city league ! Marcus Lucas anybody !

if you think an NBA team is going to waste money on a player because of hype I think your mistaken . They can make a mistake , but it’s not because of hype .

3 years is a long time to wait for a 5 star. A lot can happen so I hope Capel can sell them on reclassifying. A 5 star player would have the goal of the NBA after 1-3 years so the earlier he could get to Pitt and get good coaching and play agaisnt good people, the faster he would get to the NBA you'd think.

As for the playing in Charlotte thing, I understand why they wanted to do that but the main goal has already been attained. He is going to play for Pitt so he really doesnt need "exposure." Yea, playing a national schedule helps his game, but really how much? I doubt playing for Penn Hills sets him back much at all.

As for the playing in Charlotte thing, I understand why they wanted to do that but the main goal has already been attained. He is going to play for Pitt so he really doesnt need "exposure." Yea, playing a national schedule helps his game, but really how much? I doubt playing for Penn Hills sets him back much at all.

All of these kids are being advised on the value of building a brand. Exposure is critical and he's not going to get nearly as much of that playing for Penn Hills. Who even knows what that is outside of Pittsburgh?

If anything, the fact that he's committed to a school without a large national following makes it even more important for him to gain name recognition however he can. Saying he doesn't need exposure is silly - how many things do you not technically "need" but you do anyway because it provides a benefit?

They find guys all over the world now , they’d even find them in the city league ! Marcus Lucas anybody !

if you think an NBA team is going to waste money on a player because of hype I think your mistaken . They can make a mistake , but it’s not because of hype .

Correct your eyesight and take a look I said a combination of both is needed and I gave an example why. Read real slow there's been a lot of talent with the ability to play in the NBA but they didn't get the exposure henceforth just became good ball players but with the exposure or hype whatever you want to call it you become more of the talk henceforth people will be on you harder.
All of these kids are being advised on the value of building a brand. Exposure is critical and he's not going to get nearly as much of that playing for Penn Hills. Who even knows what that is outside of Pittsburgh?

If anything, the fact that he's committed to a school without a large national following makes it even more important for him to gain name recognition however he can. Saying he doesn't need exposure is silly - how many things do you not technically "need" but you do anyway because it provides a benefit?

I think you understand exactly what I'm talking about. Some people hear one word and think that'sthe only thing you said because they're too busy trying to be right than trying to understand what's said. SMH

Correct your eyesight and take a look I said a combination of both is needed and I gave an example why. Read real slow there's been a lot of talent with the ability to play in the NBA but they didn't get the exposure henceforth just became good ball players but with the exposure or hype whatever you want to call it you become more of the talk henceforth people will be on you harder.

I think you understand exactly what I'm talking about. Some people hear one word and think that'sthe only thing you said because they're too busy trying to be right than trying to understand what's said. SMH
Hype might get certain guys better off court endorsements , but hype doesn’t keep you employed professionally unless you can play .

I’m sure there’s plenty of guys in the D league with as much if not more talent then guys currently on rosters in the NBA , but being in the right places at the right time is critical , but It’s not hype in the end that lands you on a pro roster it’s all about producing when you get your opportunity . Brad Wanamaker is the perfect example of a fringe guy working hard and getting an opportunity and taking advantage of it . No hype there just hard work .

Just to build on this. Things can always change in a year, but for now, I think it's safe to put any reclassification talk to bed - both his mom and uncle have said that he's not considering it and will stay with 2022.

Hype might get certain guys better off court endorsements , but hype doesn’t keep you employed professionally unless you can play .

I’m sure there’s plenty of guys in the D league with as much if not more talent then guys currently on rosters in the NBA , but being in the right places at the right time is critical , but It’s not hype in the end that lands you on a pro roster it’s all about producing when you get your opportunity . Brad Wanamaker is the perfect example of a fringe guy working hard and getting an opportunity and taking advantage of it . No hype there just hard work .

Okay you are going to put this in the same category with Brad Wanamaker who didn't make it to the NBA until like 30 years old and he's like 31 now. Don't get me wrong I like Brad and I'm happy for the man and he had work hard to get there so it's not a knock against him but there's no comparison to what we're talking about zero.
I'm going to leave it alone because obviously you're still not getting why I said what I said you too busy trying to be right instead of reading and comprehending what a person is saying so guess what you're right I hope that makes you feel better. Ego is a bad boy because some people can't see past it.

A Maurice Lucas story . I went to Peabody HS and my sophomore yr Peabody was the preseason favorite to win the City League . Peabody was a senior dominated team with several really good players , Schenley came in to play Peabody and they had two unknown sophomores ( freshman were ineligible ) on their team . M Lucas and Ricky Coleman . Well to make a long story short they were incredible and beat Peabody . In 1971 with the addition of Jeep Kelly ( a sophomore ) they won the state title and are considered one of the greatest high school teams ever from WPa .
The shame of it is Ricky Coleman who was the star of the team ripped up his knee in college and became troubled with drugs as did Jeep Kelly and they never fulfilled their potential . Marcus Lucas :) did ok for himself coming from the City League !

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT