ADVERTISEMENT

How has practice been going for Dior and Will?

What happens to Blake's legs when he starts driving. It's the weirdest thing in the world. They like buckle and stop working properly
I think he’s a little too thick and it affects his driving. I think the time off played a part and he overdid it bulking up for the 4. If he has a Jared Wilson-Frame type of glow-up this offseason (they’re different types of players, just talking physically between the Stallings year and Capel), Blake will be a more effective 4 in every area imo

Hugley won’t be back to Pitt, it doesn’t seem to be a good fit for either. Hopefully he can recover his health, salvage his playing career (go to Israel or whatever) and stay above the law.

I don’t see a place for Jeffress either, he only got PT before due to having absolutely nobody else. His efforts are appreciated but he can’t exist at this level. Presumably after having a solid season, and securing JC’s continued stint here, we will be able to attract legit players to replace our seniors departing (if not now, when?) and he’ll be recruited over.

Dior, I won’t venture to even guess.

I think he’s a little too thick and it affects his driving. I think the time off played a part and he overdid it bulking up for the 4. If he has a Jared Wilson-Frame type of glow-up this offseason (they’re different types of players, just talking physically between the Stallings year and Capel), Blake will be a more effective 4 in every area imo
Yeah I think he likes being the gunner. But he definitely has a bunch of stuff he can get much better on

I hope he puts the work in. He could have a huge season

So the additions of Hinson , Nelly , Fede , Elliot the twins and Nikes return have nothing to do with it ! Really …
The addition of driving lanes for Burton, Nelly, Nike and Elliott’s spacing along with Fede’s ability to not demand the ball on offense and not clog up the driving lanes/lane is what had to do with it. The twins and Hugley were non factors in winning. The twins could change that. Hugley cannot unless he goes to the proper level

Reactions: pittjas
So, how has practice been going for Dior and Will?

Per Jeff Capel and not me and this was recent as in the last 2 weeks,

Capel considers Jeffress our best defensive player. He also said Jeffress was much more ready this year on offense being older and having been in the system for a few years and that he clearly wasn't ready when he was 17 years old playing in the acc conference. He thought Jeffress was ready for a bigger role this year before the injury. The team was really disappointed that he couldn't play this year.

There hasn't been much said with regards to Dior, but he is highly talented and I think we all knew that already. Capel has said he has been a good teammate in practice and on the team overall. I do think that is important especially when things didn't go Dior's way this year with the suspension. I also think that, Dior is quite into this team having success while he rides the bench. He is highly emotional and tuned into the game when we play, and you can see that with his reactions from the bench. He often claps and cheers on his teammates success, which again, is a good thing for being a good teammate.

The twins have improved as this season has gone on, and they both will get decent minutes next season after a full season of conditioning and work.
This is so obvious and many people discount them which I think is a mistake. If they are as hard of workers as I think they are, they could have a big leap next year. I have high hopes for the twins. they move well for their size, have high basketball IQ and are really feisty ! they don't back down.

Reactions: PittPoker
Why are we even talking about Jeffres? Part of piggybacking off this season's success and building a program should be trimming the fat, and he can't score (a 7.5/10 defender, if he is even that, and a 3.5/10 scorer isn't a great a asset to have other than for specialty situations, in my opinion).

Frankly, I'm much less sold on Fede than a lot of you seem to be, too. Albeit doubtful, I would hope we can find someone who will challenge him for starting minutes in the portal.

Reactions: jcontrer814
Why are we even talking about Jeffres? Part of piggybacking off this season's success and building a program should be trimming the fat, and he can't score (a 7.5/10 defender, if he is even that, and a 3.5/10 scorer isn't a great a asset to have other than for specialty situations, in my opinion).

Frankly, I'm much less sold on Fede than a lot of you seem to be, too. Albeit doubtful, I would hope we can find someone who will challenge him for starting minutes in the portal.
I think the optimism comes from the fact that he was probably our second-best defender last year behind Gueye, and has the versatility to defend a few different positions. For most of the year, we’ve seen the advantage in having someone like Fede be able to switch off semi-effectively, and we’ve seen on the other side how defenders at Duke and FSU who have been able to switch effectively have given us problems.

His offense for the past few years has made him barely playable, but the defense is what’s made it even a question. No doubt he needs to take a very large step forward on the offensive end, but he was a not bad 18 year old last year defensively. The hope is that another year of physical development will continue to help him. I don’t think he’s a starter next year, but we’ve seen this year how Nike’s defense off the bench has been almost as helpful as his offense, and Jeffress can maybe do something similar off the bench in the frontcourt next year.

Reactions: Drew1208 and Gondel

Capel considers Jeffress our best defensive player. He also said Jeffress was much more ready this year on offense being older and having been in the system for a few years and that he clearly wasn't ready when he was 17 years old playing in the acc conference. He thought Jeffress was ready for a bigger role this year before the injury. The team was really disappointed that he couldn't play this year.

There hasn't been much said with regards to Dior, but he is highly talented and I think we all knew that already. Capel has said he has been a good teammate in practice and on the team overall. I do think that is important especially when things didn't go Dior's way this year with the suspension. I also think that, Dior is quite into this team having success while he rides the bench. He is highly emotional and tuned into the game when we play, and you can see that with his reactions from the bench. He often claps and cheers on his teammates success, which again, is a good thing for being a good teammate.
Everyone who’s speculating about Dior’s future I think has it wrong . I’m sure JC and the staff had his back through his issues and the kid needs stability . He’s been an excellent teammate as seen by his enthusiasm on the bench , I think he’s found a home .

For Wil to be an asset on offense all he needs to do is to make a few midrange jumpers a game and average 6-8 pts . His defense and rebounding are desperately missed .

Hugley won’t be back to Pitt, it doesn’t seem to be a good fit for either. Hopefully he can recover his health, salvage his playing career (go to Israel or whatever) and stay above the law.

I don’t see a place for Jeffress either, he only got PT before due to having absolutely nobody else. His efforts are appreciated but he can’t exist at this level. Presumably after having a solid season, and securing JC’s continued stint here, we will be able to attract legit players to replace our seniors departing (if not now, when?) and he’ll be recruited over.

Dior, I won’t venture to even guess.
Jeffress equals badly needed DEFENSE!!

Rocking Pitt gear. I'll offer no opinion on Hugley and what he will do in the future at Pitt or anywhere. But I think its outstanding news that he is doing better mentally which is more important than anything including basketball. Good for him and great to hear.

I will say, people in general including on this forum give up on players way too early. And not just past Pitt greats... guys like Wanamaker and Patterson where it took a few years to get going and they badly proved people wrong. Look at recent Pitt players, if Carr isn't proof at Texas, Chris Payton has been on fire at Kent State. Payton struggled here because he couldn't play defense. Now with more time and more college seasoning he has really got it going for Kent State the last 15 or so games and Kent State is rolling.

Way too soon to give up on guys without playing at least 2 full college years. Another player, Javon Franklin in todays game. He didn't do anything at all his first 2 years in college. Nothing, couldnt play. He's been putting up Blair numbers the 2nd half of this season for Georgia Tech in his senior season.

Ill throw this out there too. Hugley has a good friend down at Ohio by the name of Elmore James. James was a 1st team all state player in Ohio. He's a freshmen this year and came out of Brush high school under Chet Mason. He's a true freshmen. A True freshmen that is now in the starting lineup and starting to put up good numbers with strong efficiency. If he hits the portal this year, he'll be underrecruited. Another year at Ohio, his numbers are going to skyrocket. One player to watch in the MAC tournament for potential future Pitt interest.

That was posted before today. Are you telling me we are dynamite inside.
Teams need guys that can set screens, rim run, catch dump offs and finish, defend the post and perimeter and rebound. We don't need guys that can catch entry passes and play back to the basket as their whole arsenal. If JH loses weight, lots, and improves in the areas we need him to improve, he can compete with Fede for minutes. I hope he does, but I'm not betting on it.

Teams need guys that can set screens, rim run, catch dump offs and finish, defend the post and perimeter and rebound. We don't need guys that can catch entry passes and play back to the basket as their whole arsenal. If JH loses weight, lots, and improves in the areas we need him to improve, he can compete with Fede for minutes. I hope he does, but I'm not betting on it.
He basically needs to become rocky in Rocky 3. Change literally everything about his game. I’d rather just find a player who is already suited to do it.

He basically needs to become rocky in Rocky 3. Change literally everything about his game. I’d rather just find a player who is already suited to do it.

The portal is a better option than Hugley. I wish him well and hope he gets better mentally and gets his life together. He has higher priorities right now than playing basketball or getting in shape to play.

Capel also said publicly Horton is the best 3 point shooter he's seen. I mean really?

Jeffress could give you 15 mins off the bench and provide a spark with good defense and rebounding next year.
Santos has played good defense when he's been in the game and iirc he has rebounded well. But Capel has effectively benched him.

You continue to judge Hugley based on this year. Yes, we have had a great year but if you can't see that we are not a complete team I don't know what to tell you. When I talk about Hugley I am talking about the Hugley who did very well practically on his own last year. So we have to continue agree to disagree on him.
I think the point is that Capel found a formula that works for the team that he has. Load up with good shooters and multiple ballhandlers, run the floor, spread everyone out in the half court, shoot the 3 and drive to the rim, draw contact, and shoot FTs. The sacrifice for playing this style is rebounding and post-area defense. If you have good enough shooters, that's a good trade.

I have posted my belief previously that Hugley could help this team--but his usage would have to change dramatically, and he would have to be OK with that.

Jeffess could have helped the team this year with defense and rebounding.
The way we play we can't afford to have anyone on the floor outside of the 5 man that isn't a good shooter. So I don't think Jeff would have helped much. End of bench depth at best.

He’s not a good basketball player. His offensive rating was lower and his defensive rating higher than Fede last year. Hugley sucks. How is this even debatable anymore?

These are the same ppl who argued AKC was a good basketball player lolololol
Ah help no.

He’s not a good basketball player. His offensive rating was lower and his defensive rating higher than Fede last year. Hugley sucks. How is this even debatable anymore?

These are the same ppl who argued AKC was a good basketball player lolololol

Nelly will never be an ACC caliber guard.

Nike isn't good.

Hinson will suck.

Federico is terrible.

This is the most untalented team in history who won't win any games.

Hugley sucks.

Personally, I like your track record of evaluating basketball talent. It's Eddie Mush level stuff this year.

Nike isn't good.

Hinson will suck.

Federico is terrible.

Hugley sucks.

Personally, I like your track record of evaluating basketball talent. It's Eddie Mush level stuff this year.
Bball didn't say all this did he? Are you exaggerating?

Nike isn't good.

Hinson will suck.

Federico is terrible.

Hugley sucks.

Not what I said at all. Bad bad bad recall.

When Nelly committed, I was extremely happy and said he was good enough.

When Hinson committed, I didn’t think he’d ever play since he had a blood disorder.

Nike has been a fine bench player occasionally.

Federiko I said was a backup big. Which is about where he should be.

And Hugley does suck.

Man. Thank you for reminding me of ALL OF THOSE WINS

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT