ADVERTISEMENT

How has practice been going for Dior and Will?

Pitt2006

Sophomore
Jun 19, 2018
We have heard he is practicing, but any one actually know how he looks and is doing? Scars from hearing Malik was the next best thing. Heard Jeffress also has returned to practice…We really need depth for next year.
If starters are Fede, Hinson, Dior, G. Diaz, CC, and then depth of J Diaz, Santos, Jeffress, and other freshman, maybe that is deeper than this year, but not sure what will can contribute or if he finally makes a turn. I’d settle for solid D even if shots aren’t dropping.

We have heard he is practicing, but any one actually know how he looks and is doing? Scars from hearing Malik was the next best thing. Heard Jeffress also has returned to practice…We really need depth for next year.
If starters are Fede, Hinson, Dior, G. Diaz, CC, and then depth of J Diaz, Santos, Jeffress, and other freshman, maybe that is deeper than this year, but not sure what will can contribute or if he finally makes a turn. I’d settle for solid D even if shots aren’t dropping.

Jeffress needs to become a 3 and D guy. He will be the best defender next year if he can get on the court. His issue is his lack of offense. He's like Leaky Black. Playing 4 on 5 on offense. Jeffress really does have good shot mechanics so I can see him improving there. He doesnt have to become Greg Elliot but he has to become somewhat of a threat to make an open shot. If he can do that, that will help immensely.

Reactions: Millerton24
Don't rule out a return of Hugley.

I dont see where he'd play.

Fede is the starting Center. Would Hugley be happy with 15 MPG as a backup?

Can Hugley play/guard the 4? This seems unlikely. Do we change everything, like maybe going zone and playing Hinson as a 3 (like Artis) just to accomodate Hugley?

Just for fun

PG - Lowe 32 (Dior 8)
SG - Dior 24 (transfer 16)
SF - Hinson 24 Jeffress/Jorge 16
PF - Hugley 16 Guillermo 8 Hinson 6
C - Fede 28 Hugley 12

Can Hugley play/guard the 4? This seems unlikely. Do we change everything, like maybe going zone and playing Hinson as a 3 (like Artis) just to accomodate Hugley?

Just for fun

PG - Lowe 32 (Dior 8)
C - Fede 28 Hugley 12
As for the would Hugley be happy? I think it can be high risk/high reward for Hugley and low risk/High reward for Pitt. I mean, can they get a better transfer with his ship? If he can revert to his previous form, and earn the minutes, than Pitt would be a better team. They won’t just hand him the position back so he really needs to be confident he has turned things around. But if he does, he has a chance to show his talents in the ACC on a nightly basis. Yes he could drop down to another program, but his exposure level would be greater at Pitt. If he flops, they bench him and he transfers mid season. They have shown they can win without him, but an improved Hugley I would take or an open ship or questionable transfer.

Hinson can’t guard a 3 out to he three point line and in space. He would pick up so many reach in fouls. And the same would happen to Hughley defending the 4 spot. He is a 5. Hinson is a 4.

Hugley’s definitely got a decision to make. If Hugley decides that it’s best for him personally and on the court to stay at Pitt and very likely embrace a new role that is very different than the role he thought he’d have this time last year, and puts everything he has into being a great teammate in that role, then Pitt will be a better, more versatile team for it.

I don’t blame him at all if he wants to pursue something elsewhere that’s more similar to what he had last year. I don’t know what he’ll do, but he would be a good rotational piece at the 5 in certain matchups.

Hugley’s definitely got a decision to make. If Hugley decides that it’s best for him personally and on the court to stay at Pitt and very likely embrace a new role that is very different than the role he thought he’d have this time last year, and puts everything he has into being a great teammate in that role, then Pitt will be a better, more versatile team for it.

I don’t blame him at all if he wants to pursue something elsewhere that’s more similar to what he had last year. I don’t know what he’ll do, but he would be a good rotational piece at the 5 in certain matchups.
Wouldn’t be surprised if he and Barnes decide their talents are better suited for Cleveland State

Every offense now uses a combo of 4 guards and wings and a mobile like Fede. Hinson is a great shooter but really doesn’t athletically fit the prototypical 4 spot in college basketball. So Hughley certainly won’t.

He needs to transfer down and be a starting 5 that uses done post actions to maximize what he can do.

Reactions: pittchagg

Just for fun

PG - Lowe 32 (Dior 8)
C - Fede 28 Hugley 12
Short rotation (rounded to nearest 5):
Dior 30, Lowe 10
Transfer One 30, Lowe 10, Carrington 10
Transfer Two 30, Carrington 10
Hinson 30, Jeffress 10
Fede 25, Hugley 15

Jorge, Guillermo, Barnes get minutes but not consistently (similar to what we see from Jorge this year). If Santos leaves, they replace with another backcourt piece that cuts into Lowe/Carrington’s minute share. If Hugley leaves, Guillermo plays 15.

Dior 30, Lowe 10
Hinson 30, Jeffress 10
Fede 25, Hugley 15

Jorge, Guillermo, Barnes get minutes but not consistently (similar to what we see from Jorge this year). If Santos leaves, they replace with another backcourt piece that cuts into Lowe/Carrington’s minute share. If Hugley leaves, Guillermo plays 15.

The problem with all of these rotations is that we don't know if most of these guys will even be here next year. Johnson is probably leaving if he gets some money elsewhere, Lowe, Barnes and Carrington aren't here yet and until I see them on the court playing in a Pitt jersey, they may not be, and Hugley is probably gone if he won't settle for 5 - 10 minutes a game. The only ones we MIGHT be able to count on as being here are Hinson, Fede and the twins. Possibly Jeffress. That's about it. Nate would be smart to transfer if he wants to play more minutes. And there aren't any transfers yet.

Just for fun

PG - Lowe 32 (Dior 8)
C - Fede 28 Hugley 12
Have you noticed us getting brutalized on the boards and relying almost exclusively on the outside shot?

Have you noticed us having the best year of the Capel era the second Hugley left the team?
You continue to judge Hugley based on this year. Yes, we have had a great year but if you can't see that we are not a complete team I don't know what to tell you. When I talk about Hugley I am talking about the Hugley who did very well practically on his own last year. So we have to continue agree to disagree on him.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he and Barnes decide their talents are better suited for Cleveland State
Definitely could! Would be a shame to lose Barnes, though. Think he brings a vertical explosiveness and a potential 3 and D aspect to the roster that we’ll really miss when we lose Sibande.

Reactions: cabe23
You continue to judge Hugley based on this year. Yes, we have had a great year but if you can't see that we are not a complete team I don't know what to tell you. When I talk about Hugley I am talking about the Hugley who did very well practically on his own last year. So we have to continue agree to disagree on him.
Hugley proved he cannot be the focal point of a successful team. That’s all he did. How do you guys live in this fantasy land where the worst defensive center in the league who demands the ball and clogs up the offense doesn’t hurt this team. Where would Burton drive to? How would people get open? He was one of the least efficient bigs and his rebounding rates weren’t good either. He’s simply not that good at basketball. There are guys who average 14/8 on every team. That doesn’t mean they’re good

Hugley proved he cannot be the focal point of a successful team. That’s all he did. How do you guys live in this fantasy land where the worst defensive center in the league who demands the ball and clogs up the offense doesn’t hurt this team. Where would Burton drive to? How would people get open? He was one of the least efficient bigs and his rebounding rates weren’t good either. He’s simply not that good at basketball. There are guys who average 14/8 on every team. That doesn’t mean they’re good

Number of times Hugley had a defensive rebound percentage under 15 last year for the entire season- 3

Number of times Hugley had a defensive rebound percentage under 15 this year with an injury- 4 out of 8 games

Number of times Fede had a Defensive rebound percentage under 15 in the last 5 games alone - 3, with 2 other games right at 15 even

What conclusion is made of this?

1) Hugley was a far better rebounder last year when healthy. By far. He didn't forget how to rebound, he was injured this year.

2) A good reason why this team is losing games recently is because Fede has been terrible on the glass, especially on the defensive end. Fede has not been over 15 one time in the last 5 games on the defensive end. That is a major issue regardless of who starts next year and the reasons why.

Number of times Hugley had a defensive rebound percentage under 15 last year for the entire season- 3

Number of times Hugley had a defensive rebound percentage under 15 this year with an injury- 4 out of 8 games

Number of times Fede had a Defensive rebound percentage under 15 in the last 5 games alone - 3, with 2 other games right at 15 even

What conclusion is made of this?

1) Hugley was a far better rebounder last year when healthy. By far. He didn't forget how to rebound, he was injured this year.

2) A good reason why this team is losing games recently is because Fede has been terrible on the glass, especially on the defensive end. Fede has not been over 15 one time in the last 5 games on the defensive end. That is a major issue regardless of who starts next year and the reasons why.
He’s not a good basketball player. His offensive rating was lower and his defensive rating higher than Fede last year. Hugley sucks. How is this even debatable anymore?

These are the same ppl who argued AKC was a good basketball player lolololol

Reactions: PittPoker
Have you noticed us having the best year of the Capel era the second Hugley left the team?

And that's one of the only reasons I'd consider bringing him back. He isnt a great rebounder but he's much better than Hinson or Guillermo. So if he can play the 4 and Hinson the 3, that greatly helps our rebounding but it hurts out defense so who knows.

And that's one of the only reasons I'd consider bringing him back. He isnt a great rebounder but he's much better than Hinson or Guillermo. So if he can play the 4 and Hinson the 3, that greatly helps our rebounding but it hurts out defense so who knows.
He can’t defend the 5, how in the world do you think he’d defend the 4? And same with Hinson? He’s not good enough. Period.

He’s not a good basketball player. His offensive rating was lower and his defensive rating higher than Fede last year. Hugley sucks. How is this even debatable anymore?

That's not the point.

Fede's last 5 games on the defensive end are 0, 15 5, 5, 15. That is beyond bad. And we lost 3 of those games. If you are not a fan of Hugley that is fine. But perhaps you should be calling for the staff to recruit a center that can actually rebound because Fede isn't getting the job done as of right now on the glass.

These are the defensive rebound efficiency numbers for the 200lb toothpick center G. Diaz Graham the last 10 games this season in ACC play.

95, 0, 12, 22, 38, 23, 0, 31, 29, 14

Those numbers as a backup center are quite good.

The 200lb toothpick in Diaz Graham is blowing Fede out of the water on the defensive glass with rebounding. The numbers do not lie.

The problem with all of these rotations is that we don't know if most of these guys will even be here next year. Johnson is probably leaving if he gets some money elsewhere, Lowe, Barnes and Carrington aren't here yet and until I see them on the court playing in a Pitt jersey, they may not be, and Hugley is probably gone if he won't settle for 5 - 10 minutes a game. The only ones we MIGHT be able to count on as being here are Hinson, Fede and the twins. Possibly Jeffress. That's about it. Nate would be smart to transfer if he wants to play more minutes. And there aren't any transfers yet.

Why will P6 schools pay Dior now after he was arrested and not last summer before he had a criminal record? His stock has gone up?

That's not the point.

Fede's last 5 games on the defensive end are 0, 15 5, 5, 15. That is beyond bad. And we lost 3 of those games. If you are not a fan of Hugley that is fine. But perhaps you should be calling for the staff to recruit a center that can actually rebound because Fede isn't getting the job done as of right now on the glass.

These are the defensive rebound efficiency numbers for the 200lb toothpick center G. Diaz Graham the last 10 games this season in ACC play.

The 200lb toothpick in Diaz Graham is blowing Fede out of the water on the defensive glass with rebounding. The numbers do not lie.

I love Fede and didnt want to say this but he has not been good defensively lately. Like below average. Too many fouls, Basile, ND, and Omier making him look JV. He needs to be better. Franklin will be a test today

That's not the point.

I said Fede was a backup center when he committed. I haven’t missed on a big yet.

The Diaz Graham who plays 5 killed us against Miami too. He’s not good enough either.

I said Fede was a backup center when he committed. I haven’t missed on a big yet.

The Diaz Graham who plays 5 killed us against Miami too. He’s not good enough either.

Fede, in a perfect world, is a solid backup this year. However, he is so raw and athletic, he has potential to develop into an excellent P6 big. Reminds me of that Portugese Utah State guy. Queta???

Why will P6 schools pay Dior now after he was arrested and not last summer before he had a criminal record? His stock has gone up?

I used that as a hypothetical with Johnson. It MIGHT happen. Even if it doesn't, I still don't see him on this team next year. Just like I don't see Hugley on this team next year. I'm hoping for some experienced guys from the portal and not count too much on incoming recruits, if they even get here, and Johnson or Hugley.

Hinson can’t guard a 3 out to he three point line and in space. He would pick up so many reach in fouls. And the same would happen to Hughley defending the 4 spot. He is a 5. Hinson is a 4.
Hinson is really more like a 3. He doesn't outrebound or defend bigs. Elliott was closer to a 2 than 3, IMO.
I'd play Fede, Jorge and Blake with lots of shuffling in the backcourt. Burton has been terrific, even with the knee problem. But Nelly is a 5-11 2G. Love the guy....ONIONS!! But we need size and better defense. Dior & the new guys will be interesting, and who knows what the portal might provide.
Will could be the difference. I'm optimistic about the next year.

Reactions: rockypanther

Hugley's stock has tanked. Went from potential 1st Team All-ACC and major transfer NIL deal to "damaged goods." So yes, I agree. I would think he has a very good chance to be at Cleveland State next year. Maybe Barnes too. Barnes's stock has also fallen.

Dior 30, Lowe 10
Hinson 30, Jeffress 10
Fede 25, Hugley 15

The twins have improved as this season has gone on, and they both will get decent minutes next season after a full season of conditioning and work.

Hinson is really more like a 3. He doesn't outrebound or defend bigs. Elliott was closer to a 2 than 3, IMO.
I'd play Fede, Jorge and Blake with lots of shuffling in the backcourt. Burton has been terrific, even with the knee problem. But Nelly is a 5-11 2G. Love the guy....ONIONS!! But we need size and better defense. Dior & the new guys will be interesting, and who knows what the portal might provide.
Will could be the difference. I'm optimistic about the next year.

If I'm Blake and the staff, I try to lose some weight, get quicker, improve ballhandling and play the 3. He cant rebound and isnt a scoring threat down low anymore. Jamel Artis is the model.

Hugley's stock has tanked. Went from potential 1st Team All-ACC and major transfer NIL deal to "damaged goods." So yes, I agree. I would think he has a very good chance to be at Cleveland State next year. Maybe Barnes too. Barnes's stock has also fallen.
His stock is and always has been what I said it was. I don’t miss buddy

I have no problem with Hugley if he wants to come back but he'd better be 40 pounds slimmer with a good attitude

But I really feel we aren't the right fit for him

Reactions: pittjas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT