Top 16 seeds that did not make the sweet 16 - 7 Total

Big 12 - 1 seed and a 3 seed
Big 10 - 1 and a 4
Big East - 2 seed
Pac 12 - 2 seed
ACC - 4 seed

How many Big Ten teams are left?

How many SEC teams are left?

Tell me again: How many teams from those 3 leagues were in the field of 68?
The big ten is just an embarrassment. I will give the big 12 credit for at least getting two teams in elite 8.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Who is talking about a championship? How about just making the Elite 8?
Leave it to Joe to chime in with something stupid. These leagues are clearly overated. If we learned one thing from this tournament, it is time to invite more of the San Diego States and Florida atlantics and stop inviting marginal teams from the big 10 who wind up looking good by metrics garnered by playing against average conference teams all year. After all, with the portal, the tournament will be more and more wide open in the coming years. The network probably doesn't like the absence of traditional blue bloods, but, I sure as hell do.

Leave it to Joe to chime in with something stupid. These leagues are clearly overated. If we learned one thing from this tournament, it is time to invite more of the San Diego States and Florida atlantics and stop inviting marginal teams from the big 10 who wind up looking good by metrics garnered by playing against average conference teams all year. After all, with the portal, the tournament will be more and more wide open in the coming years. The network probably doesn't like the absence of traditional blue bloods, but, I sure as hell do.

Joe and CJE are consistent with one thing....posting stupid things.

I completely agree with everything you said about the leagues and which ones are overrated. Screw the metrics they manufacture. This is the reality. You can make a computer tell you anything you want if you put in the data that makes it spit that out. Garbage in, garbage out.

Reactions: PANTHERAN
It’ll be the same classic BS from the fans and minions of those conferences that “they are so great top to bottom that they beat each other up so hard in Jan and Feb.” In turn they have so many members in the media who are alumni of schools from here (or just picked them in their brackets) and they’ll echo those misstatements as if fact and move on as if they never made egregious mistakes (similar to weather forecasters in some ways…when they botch forecasts badly, they never acknowledge it).

In particular they won’t note the ridiculous arbitrary metrics like NET are so obviously misguided. These are conjured by out of touch geeks, twerps and nerdlingers who know little to nothing about the organics of the actual sport. The “logic” that gives utmost rewards to margin of one victory vs total body of work should disqualify the metric right there, but the flaws only continue. Anyone who takes these seriously or makes them a main basis for rankings or seedings, it’s preposterous.

Whereas the truth is this: these conference obviously have some good teams, but the results proved they got too much hype, and excess seeds, this year. And one year can be a fluke but when you start getting into multiple years of regular underachievement in postseason, it becomes undeniable. It shows evaluations are either way off or purposely biased. And in the case of the B1G and SEC at least, they have such huge armies of fanbase that the media has tremendous financial reasons to give them excess hype and ratings.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
And yet it still finished with a better W/L % and had a team make the Final Four… I’ll take it!
The conference that puts the most teams in the tourney is obviously going to be the conference that takes the most Ls.

It essentially shows the ACC was a weak conference with a poor tourney showing except for Miami.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The conference that puts the most teams in the tourney is obviously going to be the conference that takes the most Ls.

It essentially shows the ACC was a weak conference with a poor tourney showing except for Miami.
Ironically enough, I think Pitt ended up having the second-most tournament wins among ACC teams this year because of the First Four.

If you go strictly by seeds, the ACC should be 4-5 and UVA was the only team that should have gotten past the first weekend.

Just proves once again how grossly inaccurate and misleading the seeds and the computer metrics are when seeding the NCAAT. Throw out NET and Quads and use common sense and actual, real life observations. The computer stuff failed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Ironically enough, I think Pitt ended up having the second-most tournament wins among ACC teams this year because of the First Four.
That's correct.

I'm not sure what any of these tourney stats related to conference are supposed to prove.

I do find it interesting that the SEC hasn't put a team in the Final Four since Auburn in 2019. I'm not sure what that means, if anything. I just found it interesting.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Just proves once again how grossly inaccurate and misleading the seeds and the computer metrics are when seeding the NCAAT. Throw out NET and Quads and use common sense and actual, real life observations.
I don't know. Just because it doesn't play out according to seeding doesn't necessarily mean the seeding was wrong. It just means there's a lot of parity in today's game and anything can happen in a one and done.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Well, that's what most who have clue have been saying all along. This field was mostly a parity of avg.
The portrayed gap really wasn't as large as the media heads/fanboys were piping.
But they have to somehow justify their seeding of the teams.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
In my opinion, the ACC made a huge mistake not expanding more. They should have grabbed UConn and Cincinnati or WVU.

Literally just two weeks ago this board was up in arms because the Mountain West sucks and only got as many teams in the tournament because they figured out how to game the NET rankings, and FAU needed to win their league championship to even get in the tournament because they didn't play one good team all year.

And now, two weeks later when San Diego State and FAU made the Final Four it's proof that we need more teams like San Diego State and FAU in the tournament.

And the reason for that is that there certainly are people who post really stupid stuff here. If you look in the mirror you will see one of those people.

Literally just two weeks ago this board was up in arms because the Mountain West sucks and only got as many teams in the tournament because they figured out how to game the NET rankings, and FAU needed to win their league championship to even get in the tournament because they didn't play one good team all year.

And now, two weeks later when San Diego State and FAU made the Final Four it's proof that we need more teams like San Diego State and FAU in the tournament.

And the reason for that is that there certainly are people who post really stupid stuff here. If you look in the mirror you will see one of those people.
People were upset that Nevada got into the tournament. They were garbage and didn’t deserve to get in. SD State and FAU deserved to get in whether they lost their conference final or not. Big difference.

The media narrative that the Big 10 was a really good conference because of their high NET rankings was the biggest fallacy. Anyone that understands basketball knew they were overrated.

People were upset that Nevada got into the tournament. They were garbage and didn’t deserve to get in. SD State and FAU deserved to get in whether they lost their conference final or not. Big difference.

The media narrative that the Big 10 was a really good conference because of their high NET rankings was the biggest fallacy. Anyone that understands basketball knew they were overrated.

The issue with the Big Ten, which is clearly seen by looking at their standings or looking at their game results, is that they had one good (but flawed) team, and then a whole bunch of teams in the middle, and then a couple pretty crappy teams. There is no reason that anyone should have expected the Big Ten to have had a great NCAA tournament, because their teams just aren't good enough. They are good enough to beat a good team on a given day, and bad enough to lose to a good team on a given day. And you don't get to play Nebraska (or Louisville) in the NCAA tournament.

Those teams proved they belong. The big 10 proved it was a fraud once again. The best team lost to a 16 seed from the lowly NEC. I think performance should matter. You can go on defending your stupid narrative as long as you want. I looked in the mirror this morning and saw a handsome and smart man by the way.

Reactions: gary2
Those teams proved they belong. The big 10 proved it was a fraud once again. The best team lost to a 16 seed from the lowly NEC. I think performance should matter. You can go on defending your stupid narrative as long as you want. I looked in the mirror this morning and saw a handsome and smart man by the way.

Who was standing behind you?

:p

Clemson deserved to be in. UNC I am ok leaving out. ACC should have had 6 teams in. Louisville and FSU in OOC killed the conference NET and likely caused Clemson to miss the cut. They were better than Nevada or a few of the big 10 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT