ADVERTISEMENT

How noon on ACCN cost this team the CFP

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Of all the ESPN games, noon on ACCN is one of the worst, lowest-rated time slots, and thus ESPN doesn't send as many cameras as they do for the better time slots. I complain a lot about noon but had we gotten 7:30 on ACCN or 3:30 on ESPN, there may have been a few extra cameras on that goal line play. They even discussed this on the 937 The Fan postgame show.

Also, so much for ACC refs protecting a potential CFP team when the conference needs one. That play was very close but geez, Pitt was thought of to be a CFP contendor, would anyone have thought it was a "homer call" to overturn that and rule it a Safety. I know there wasn't a definitive angle but it sure seemed unlikely that the ball completely crossed the goal line.

It never crossed the line … I saw a fan shot video right in the end zone on Twitter … feet never crossed … ball never crossed and it doesn’t even look like line judge was in position to see it (so much for Mark Richt analysis) just a terrible call and Pitt absolutely got jobbed… it’s not the entire story but Pitt got jobbed…

It never crossed the line … I saw a fan shot video right in the end zone on Twitter … feet never crossed … ball never crossed and it doesn’t even look like line judge was in position to see it (so much for Mark Richt analysis) just a terrible call and Pitt absolutely got jobbed… it’s not the entire story but Pitt got jobbed…

Honestly, I was very confident they were going to overturn that. I knew they didn't have the angle and that they shouldn't make the call because it "seemed" like he didn't get out but we're at home and carrying the CFP banner for the league. I was so sure that was going to be a Safety. I don't think refs blatantly cheat (except for 13-9) but they are human. They are ACC employees (unlike in basketball). If they're going to be wrong, better to be wrong about something which doesn't cost the ACC millions.

The funny thing is IF you watch that line judge over and over again… no way was he is a good position for the call.. you can see it. But they didn’t want to overturn it because the other video all sucked

The funny thing is IF you watch that line judge over and over again… no way was he is a good position for the call.. you can see it. But they didn’t want to overturn it because the other video all sucked

All that ESPN/ACCN money and we get a WPIAL broadcast at noon. I think the same crew did the Central Catholic game Friday night.

Of all the ESPN games, noon on ACCN is one of the worst, lowest-rated time slots, and thus ESPN doesn't send as many cameras as they do for the better time slots. I complain a lot about noon but had we gotten 7:30 on ACCN or 3:30 on ESPN, there may have been a few extra cameras on that goal line play. They even discussed this on the 937 The Fan postgame show.

Also, so much for ACC refs protecting a potential CFP team when the conference needs one. That play was very close but geez, Pitt was thought of to be a CFP contendor, would anyone have thought it was a "homer call" to overturn that and rule it a Safety. I know there wasn't a definitive angle but it sure seemed unlikely that the ball completely crossed the goal line.
Cut the crap, this team had very little shot at the playoffs even if they won out and you know it.

Cut the crap, this team had very little shot at the playoffs even if they won out and you know it.

I know but it would have been fun to have been 8-1 and ranked 11th when UNC came in or 9-1 Top 10 for an ABC primetime game with UVa.

And I am incensed that NC State got the night game over us. They have played night games every game this season except for 1.

I know but it would have been fun to have been 8-1 and ranked 11th when UNC came in or 9-1 Top 10 for an ABC primetime game with UVa.

And I am incensed that NC State got the night game over us. They have played night games every game this season except for 1.
This I can’t argue with. Hopefully we don’t lose again, but if they do I will see you in San Diego.

Not me. I'm not flying anywhere for an exhibition game. I'll go to Atlanta. That's it.
How about if it ends up being the Fiesta Bowl?

Someone mentioned it last week, but unless it’s a NY6 game does Pickett even play or would he choose to opt out?

Someone mentioned it last week, but unless it’s a NY6 game does Pickett even play or would he choose to opt out?

No way I'd go to the Fiesta Bowl.

As for Pickett, the only way I think he plays is if the team was 12-1 and ranked 5th. He'd probably want to finish that out. But at like 10-3, ranked 18th, what's the point in playing an exhibition game? Its not worth the risk. Winning the ACC is enough.

Pitt was never a CFP contender. A 12-1 Pitt with a loss to WMU wasn't going to the CFP.

Reactions: BFo8
I would love to see patti or beville and see what kind of drop off there is or is not.

Imo, he should opt out regardless. NY6 means nothing more than more promo, different location & logo. He's different & seems to really love the college game, so it wouldn't surprise me if he played.

No way I'd go to the Fiesta Bowl.

As for Pickett, the only way I think he plays is if the team was 12-1 and ranked 5th. He'd probably want to finish that out. But at like 10-3, ranked 18th, what's the point in playing an exhibition game? Its not worth the risk. Winning the ACC is enough.
I’m semi surprised you wouldn’t go see Pitt play in the Fiesta Bowl against a Michigan or someone similar. I would 100% be in Glendale, but of course it’s drivable for me which obviously changes things.

I would love to see patti or beville and see what kind of drop off there is or is not.
The drop off will be massive. Those guys are program fillers that have a chance to start as upperclassmen because they haven’t recruited anyone better at the position. Pickett is a 1st round NFL draft pick, the best QB Pitt has had since Marino.

1st Round NFL???? There will be about as massive a drop off as you could imagine. I don't think our backups are even as good as Tino (who really wasnt that bad).

I assume he is the same line judge where the ball rolled out of bounds right in front of his face yet he marked it like a yard back from where it went out ... honestly that line judge seems clueless.

So if the ACC is too cheap to get cameras filming down the line on both sides of the field, they really need to put the one they have on the side that this line judge is on because he can't be trusted at all.

In the words of Colonel Potter ... Horse Hockey!

I assume he is the same line judge where the ball rolled out of bounds right in front of his face yet he marked it like a yard back from where it went out ... honestly that line judge seems clueless.

So if the ACC is too cheap to get cameras filming down the line on both sides of the field, they really need to put the one they have on the side that this line judge is on because he can't be trusted at all.
That was almost comical. As Pitt fans we knew it was well past the 1st down mark, but those guys were so bad I wouldn’t have been shocked had they let it stand and called it 4th down.

Reactions: Upg bobcat

If you are referring to the video posted on twitter by Colin Dunlap, the video shows his left foot on the goal line, the ball in his left arm, and his body turned to his left side, while slightly leaning forward. The video is nowhere near definitive in any direction. But it did make me think that it might have been more likely than not that he crossed the goal line. But it absolutely does not prove anything one way or another.

If it's a different video, please post a link. Thanks!

Reactions: lilspainishflea
If you are referring to the video posted on twitter by Colin Dunlap, the video shows his left foot on the goal line, the ball in his left arm, and his body turned to his left side, while slightly leaning forward. The video is nowhere near definitive in any direction. But it did make me think that it might have been more likely than not that he crossed the goal line. But it absolutely does not prove anything one way or another.

If it's a different video, please post a link. Thanks!
Seeing that it made me think it wasn’t such a bad call after all. I now think he probably did get to the line, either way it wasn’t a horrible call.

Pitt was never a CFP contender because they were never going 12-1.

Our bipolar fanbase became delusional, now they're back to our coach sucks.

Just win the coastal and get to Charlotte.
Very true.

Even at 12-1, they wouldn't have been going.

12-1 would have been very difficult and unlikely, but probably not outside the realm of possibility. Miami, UNC, and UVA have QBs with big arms who can sling it. I look for those other two games to be a challenge as well.

Very true.

Even at 12-1, they wouldn't have been going.

12-1 would have been very difficult and unlikely, but probably not outside the realm of possibility. Miami, UNC, and UVA have QBs with big arms who can sling it. I look for those other two games to be a challenge as well.

but we would have been relevant and part of the national discussion, and college football is all about perception. It would have been huge.

But I know it wasn't happening, just as I know a loss to UNC is almost certain.

Reactions: sonofabit
LOL.....DT, I am thankful for old bleeps like you and me. Because when the Miami LB called for targeting, "Flagg Jr" I was calling him "Colonel" and no one else was getting it.
LOL ... did you know he was a showgirl for six weeks at the Sands!

but we would have been relevant and part of the national discussion, and college football is all about perception. It would have been huge.

But I know it wasn't happening, just as I know a loss to UNC is almost certain.
Right or wrong, the perception is that the ACC is garbage because Clemson is down and no team, even if undefeated is worthy of a CFP birth.

I wouldn't say a loss to UNC isn't almost certain. I expect another high scoring game that can go either way.

Are you watching this UVA game? This is insane.

Seeing that it made me think it wasn’t such a bad call after all. I now think he probably did get to the line, either way it wasn’t a horrible call.
Getting to the line is still a safety. The ball has to completely cross the line and fully be in the field of play.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Right or wrong, the perception is that the ACC is garbage because Clemson is down and no team, even if undefeated is worthy of a CFP birth.

I wouldn't say a loss to UNC isn't almost certain. I expect another high scoring game that can go either way.

Are you watching this UVA game? This is insane.
Virginia will rip this team to pieces on offense

The bigger issue with the game was giving up 21 points in the first quarter. Contenders don’t do that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT