ADVERTISEMENT

Hugley Suspended

I wonder how the phone call between the girl and her parents went.
Girl: "Hello, it's me."
Parents: "Oh, hi honey! What's new?"

G: "My clothes are starting to fit very tightly. So, I've decided to do a lot more walking and a lot less driving."
P: "That's a wonderful idea. You are always such a personally responsible individual. You make us very proud!"

Last edited:
If it can be proven that Hugley was the one who actually stole the car, he's PROBABLY done.

If his friend stole it and it can be PROVEN he drove it while knowing it was a stolen vehicle, that's a half-season suspension

If his friend stole it and it cannot be proven that he knew it was stolen, that's a 3-5 game suspension if that.

I am confident he will remain on the team. Capel wants to win and NEEDS to win.

he stole a car. Capel doesn’t need this to win. Don’t fool yourself.

Thanks DT but my question is based on the situation sounds like there could be a lot of he said she said kind of situation regarding the charges. Is it the license part that leads you to believe that John will no longer be part of the Pitt program? The rest of the stuff sounds like a huge mistake to make but Pitt has had players come back from previous mistakes that have carried over into court and charges too
I don’t believe this is a he said she said situation.

He says he didn't know and gets some community service sentence. You still boot him?
Why do you continue to make stupid claims?
You are probably the only person who believes he didn't know.
Come on SMF stop the nonsense, but then again you have no issues with the guy at Arizona

Come on SMF stop the nonsense, but then again you have no issues with the guy at Arizona
5e5b6f5368cf5.image.png

Girl: "Hello, it's me."
Parents: "Oh, hi honey! What's new?"

G: "My clothes are starting to fit very tightly. So, I've decided to do a lot more walking and a lot less driving."
P: "That's a wonderful idea. You are always such a personally responsible individual. You make us very proud!"
You forgot the rest ...

P: “Since you are walking so much, why don’t you drive our car back up to our house. Mom and Dad are thinking about driving it over to the Poconos for a getaway trip.”

G: “yeah ... about the car ...”

P: “what about the car”

Reactions: HOF Coach

Listen, I said if it can be proven that he knew the car was stolen and not his friend's, he's probably gone. Now do I think he knew? Yes. Can they prove he knew? I don't know. All I am saying is that his defense is "my buddy said that was his car," they have to be able to prove he knew it was stolen.

My complete guess on what happens here is that he takes a plea agreement, testifies against his buddy and gets community service plus maybe a light house arrest sentence.

Low character person. Don’t try to keep him.
Sorry Mr Ohio runner up, we barely knew you! Good bye ✋!

There is a certain now deceased former coach who is revered these days in many circles who had a player steal from his teammate, and because he needed that player he told the walkon that he stole from that if he didn't drop the charges he would be thrown off the team.

But that was a different time all together.
Good story still that shows what a good player can get away with at a D1 school. If Jeffress and/or even to some degree Collier were to leave over Hugley remaining on the team Capel would get blasted for it. Especially if Hugley were to turn around and mess up again, leaving Pitt without all 3.

Reactions: Drew1208
Listen, I said if it can be proven that he knew the car was stolen and not his friend's, he's probably gone. Now do I think he knew? Yes. Can they prove he knew? I don't know. All I am saying is that his defense is "my buddy said that was his car," they have to be able to prove he knew it was stolen.

My complete guess on what happens here is that he takes a plea agreement, testifies against his buddy and gets community service plus maybe a light house arrest sentence.
4684c3eee1c95106488493a18bfa77c6.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cease10

Stop talking for once

Regardless of how this kid was involved, he at best has a very questionable character and did something wrong which the coaches knew about before the season started. Why recruit him to begin with if they knew this a while ago? I know more due process has to be done and all of the facts need to come out. But don't we already know enough to know this isn't the type of kid we want on a Pitt team, regardless of his ability? I don't care how good this kid is, and he hasn't proven he is that good anyhow. I don't want him anywhere around Pitt, the team or the school.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

I haven’t weighed in on this because the legal process should play out but my advice to you is to stop posting. You sound and look like an idiot on this subject especially because you’re ignoring basic evidence.

Reactions: Ski11585
I haven’t weighed in on this because the legal process should play out but my advice to you is to stop posting. You sound and look like an idiot on this subject especially because you’re ignoring basic evidence.

From the articles, what evidence is there that proves he knew the car was not his friend's?

Regardless of how this kid was involved, he at best has a very questionable character and did something wrong which the coaches knew about before the season started. Why recruit him to begin with if they knew this a while ago? I know more due process has to be done and all of the facts need to come out. But don't we already know enough to know this isn't the type of kid we want on a Pitt team, regardless of his ability? I don't care how good this kid is, and he hasn't proven he is that good anyhow. I don't want him anywhere around Pitt, the team or the school.

Good point! We knew about this and continued his recruitment? That is real bad.....

Reactions: Idiot_Seanmillerfan
He was on campus when this happened

It didn't happen yesterday. When it happened and the coaches knew about it, which was more than a few weeks ago, why wasn't he suspended right at that point? Then give him a chance to defend himself while on suspension. If he is found not guilty and he did nothing at all, lift his suspension. If he is even remotely involved in the crime, revoke his scholarship and kick him off the team. I doubt he stays in school with no scholarship.

My concern is that we're recruiting kids with questionable character issues that don't belong on the team or at Pitt. Why? Just to maybe win a few more games???? Sorry, not good enough.

We know you are uneducated and Jobless.
Hugley’s friend correct? Yes
10:30 PM his friend has no red Malibu Correct? Yes

2:30 am Hugley’s friend now has a red Malibu? Yes

Is John Hugley an Idiot like yourself? Yes, but nobody is that stupid, well except yourself..

It's pretty obvious that Hugley is not real smart to begin with. If he couldn't play basketball, and that is still to be determined, he wouldn't be in college. We need good character, smart kids at Pitt, not borderline idiots with questionable character. And I'm being kind with my words.

It didn't happen yesterday. When it happened and the coaches knew about it, which was more than a few weeks ago, why wasn't he suspended right at that point? Then give him a chance to defend himself while on suspension. If he is found not guilty and he did nothing at all, lift his suspension. If he is even remotely involved in the crime, revoke his scholarship and kick him off the team. I doubt he stays in school with no scholarship.

My concern is that we're recruiting kids with questionable character issues that don't belong on the team or at Pitt. Why? Just to maybe win a few more games???? Sorry, not good enough.
I would advise most on this board to take a breath and let the facts and process play itself out rather than speculate who knew what and when. It’s a masturbatory exercise at this point where people are going to assume and blame when we don’t have a clear view of what happened.

I would advise most on this board to take a breath and let the facts and process play itself out rather than speculate who knew what and when. It’s a masturbatory exercise at this point where people are going to assume and blame when we don’t have a clear view of what happened.
The coaches and school must have a clear view to go as far as an indefinite suspension. "indefinite", in most cases mean a really long friggin time. He's Dunzo!

From what's been released, any decent lawyer should get the charges reduced and him into an ARD program.

The next question is what to do with him. The coaches could very well believe he needs basketball more than they need him and give him a chance to make better decisions or they cut bait and he gets his 2nd chance elsewhere.

The coaches and school must have a clear view to go as far as an indefinite suspension. "indefinite", in most cases mean a really long friggin time. He's Dunzo!
I would assume being charged with 3 felonies would be a clear enough view to suspend him indefinitely pending the outcome.

In situations like these, it’s best to take a deep breath and play a game called “what I know to be true, what is more than likely to be true, and what I don’t know to be true.”

Here, there are a few things that we know to be true. Hugley is seen entering and exiting this car on multiple occasions, including the night before it was reported stolen. We also know that he wasn’t the first person to enter the car that night. We also know that on at least one occasion, he was seen in the car when it had a different license plate. We also know that the girl whose car it was had some sort of relationship with guys on the team, and she’d hung out with them on prior occasions. We know that Hugley doesn’t have a criminal record, either here or in Ohio.

What is more likely to be true than not is that Hugley knew he didn’t have permission to drive the car. At the latest, he more than likely knew this the next morning, when presumably the girl wakes up, attempts to go out to her car, and realized that the car was no longer there. Unless the girl just decided to walk home without telling the people she was just with about the whole thing, it’s likely that she called one of them and said, “****, my car’s gone!”

What we don’t know is when the other plate was put on the car, and who put the other plate on the car. We don’t know who cooked up this harebrained scheme in the first place. We don’t know when the other guys on the team, or the staff, found out about it, and we don’t know whether Hugley was honest with the staff from the jump or whether he tried to hide it. We don’t know the nature of the relationship between the guys on the team and the girl. We don’t know about the way that the night played out, and whether Hugley or the other kid were initially under the impression, whether real or mistaken, that they could joyride the thing for a few hours, go grab food with it, etc. Outside of the two occasions after July 19 that Hugley was seen in the car, we don’t know how many other times the car was spotted, or who was driving it. We don’t know a whole lot of parts about the timeline - we know Hugley drove the car away - when did he get back? Did he drive the car back? Did he walk back? We don’t know whether he drove the car beyond the night it was stolen, or whether he was just getting in and out of it.

Anyway, we’re gonna have to wait and see how this plays out. My initial guess is that this thing is getting pled down and Hugley will get ARD. I can’t see him playing for the rest of the year, but my initial thought would be that it’d be a shame if it costs him a spot in this program permanently. At the end of the day, this was a situation that was incredibly preventable, and somehow even stupider than it was preventable...but nobody got hurt, and as long as Hugley takes responsibility and does what he needs to do to ensure that he’s in a good place with the staff and his teammates, I don’t see a need to kick him off the team.

That was a long post. Happy Saturday!

How do you know Hugley knew what vehicles his friend owned? How do you know what vehicles his friend said was being lent to him?

Again, I think Hugley knew his friend stole it. But "playing dumb" is enough to keep him on the team. We need a Center.
I’ve refrained from saying this as well, but with his past and what seems to be his present Hugley is in need of a strong African American male role model and obviously there are at least 3 on staff. For you to think they should tell him to lie and compromise their morals and give him no life lesson in all of this assuming it is true is just astounding.

Jeff Capel makes 3 + million a year and right now Hugley is messing with his money. The risk/talent factor in coming back off of this is up to coach but if he lied to coaches and teammates for 4 months and pleads guilty to anything I can’t see how you trust him again. Just my personal opinion. His talent is simply not worth the risk at this level imo and he has shown nothing to warrant compromising the program or own personal morals to keep him.

I’ve refrained from saying this as well, but with his past and what seems to be his present Hugley is in need of a strong African American male role model and obviously there are at least 3 on staff. For you to think they should tell him to lie and compromise their morals and give him no life lesson in all of this assuming it is true is just astounding.

Jeff Capel makes 3 + million a year and right now Hugley is messing with his money. The risk/talent factor in coming back off of this is up to coach but if he lied to coaches and teammates for 4 months and pleads guilty to anything I can’t see how you trust him again. Just my personal opinion. His talent is simply not worth the risk at this level imo and he has shown nothing to warrant compromising the program or own personal morals to keep him.
Correct he’s a nice player
But his immediate concerns now are jail time -
Not playing time

He doesn’t care about anyone’s morals or life lessons. At all. Nada. And he’s far from alone.

It’s quite clear some people don’t even look at these kids as human beings. They view them as vehicles strictly for their personal entertainment.

Last edited:
The #1 priority, above all else, for these kids in college is to get an education, graduate and grow as adults. That's it, nothing else. Capel has some good character kids on this team who want to fulfill this priority. Having one who couldn't care less about throwing it away is unacceptable. If Capel doesn't know what this #1 priority is, then he isn't doing his job.

He was arrested for three felonies. In this case, "indefinite" means "until the legal process plays out, and we have no idea how long that will be."

Reactions: Idiot_Seanmillerfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT