ADVERTISEMENT

I am guessing the Dude and his buddies might need to concoct a new rumor

I’m assuming espn has crunched the numbers for the acc with these possible additions. Maybe it doesn’t make sense financially OR maybe those pac 12 schools aren’t interested.

The first thing every other conference would have done after UT-OU left is crunch the numbers on possible teams to pull.
There’s a reason the response to that wasn’t offering the throwaways spots in the conference after that.

The only real solution for the ACC, as unlikely as it is, is for every team that doesn’t feel they are guaranteed a spot in the Super 2, or has its doubts, to give up money to bribe the others.

Pay ND a ton to join. Give the teams desired by others, that should be carrying the conference, more money to get them in a state where they can. FSU is in bad financial shape right now. Which is keeping them down. Pay them the money it would take to get them back to being national title contending FSU.

Maybe that doesn’t work and it all ends up folding anyway. But it’s the only shot the conference has.

Reactions: ThePanthers
And you’re assuming they are going to wait that long. If they have no intention of waiting that long, it would follow they don’t really care about adding your supporting cast.
Sure it does because those extra teams could bring more money which makes them more competitive until they get the P2 invite.

Sure it does because those extra teams could bring more money which makes them more competitive until they get the P2 invite.

those teams aren’t going to bring in more money.

There was an ESPN article from this morning with an AD from the ACC. The AD said the ACC already ran the numbers on these teams and they aren’t worth sh*t. It just makes the pie smaller.

There was an ESPN article from this morning with an AD from the ACC. The AD said the ACC already ran the numbers on these teams and they aren’t worth sh*t. It just makes the pie smaller.
Oregon and Washington are learning that they aren’t worth as much as they thought they were. Stanford is probably worth more than either tbh.

Oregon is Colorado-lite (ie not worth much) if not for Uncle Phil, however, that’s not the point. They have him.

These programs are worth the high $: Bama, ATM, UT, OU, LSU, UGA, UF, TOSU, USC, ND, and Michigan. There isn’t another program in same stratosphere as those programs and there’s even tiers of valuation in this group (UT and TOSU are well above anyone else and then ND in next tier).

The rest are significantly less valuable than these schools.

Last edited:
The first rounds of expansion was simply about adding markets, increasing footprints. The second round was more about survival and being relevant. As we see now these past two? They were just about buying the biggest and baddest that can drive revenue. The only other program left that can do this now is Notre Dame.

Reactions: WVUinColumbus

Link please. I can't find it.

WVU would join the ACC in 2 seconds if asked. Are you insane? You're back in the Big East in your garbage league. I do believe the ACC will lose teams but even if they do, WVU is always destined to be in an outcast league anyway (probably with Pitt). The ACC might have 10 good years left. If your admin said no to regional games so you can play UCF, Iowa State, and BYU, they'd be fired on the spot
You have a real elitist attitude towards conferences and teams. The fact is the Big 12 is much more formidable that you portray it. TCU, KSU, Baylor, OSU and ISU along with WVU are no pushovers. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. Check out the link for at least another opinion:

You have a real elitist attitude towards conferences and teams. The fact is the Big 12 is much more formidable that you portray it. TCU, KSU, Baylor, OSU and ISU along with WVU are no pushovers. And I'm not the only one who thinks so. Check out the link for at least another opinion:
They have good teams but they are community colleges in trash markets who cannot sustain the success that they've had.

I'll give you that. There is still some outside chance that someday both the B1G and SEC will want to become true "super conferences" with upwards of 24 teams each. If that happens, there is hope for both WVU and Pitt. But, it doesn't appear that is going to happen near term and every year that passes is another $30+m in annual revenue that you fall behind to the chosen few in those two conferences.

I think WVU is only in a moderately better position. Our GOR does expire in two years and initial talks for the renegotiations are already set to begin. Despite what some of you believe, there is still a chance the B12 lands 4-6 PAC schools that will amp-up that TV deal....not to B1G or SEC levels, but certainly well past the ACC's current levels. Hence, I think we both have reason to be nervous. I also think there is an outside chance we will both land on our feet someday in the B1G or SEC. I just think WVU has reason to be slightly less nervous...at least as of July 20, 2022.
WVU is not going to the Big 10. It's accurate to say that that conference does care about their academics and its portrayal of them. WVU would have to be AAU as well as bolster up in other areas. And as far as the SEC goes, if only they expand to at least 20 schools and we go in with someone like V-Tech. Both schools have the fan bases and atmosphere that is SECish.

They have good teams but they are community colleges in trash markets who cannot sustain the success that they've had.
Community colleges? Really? Enough with that. Sometimes schools can have really good programs within the university but their overall ratings are poor. It's not always clear cut and those ratings are about as accurate as the Dude. And why not sustain success? Cincy got left behind and fought their way back into a playoff spot.

I have zero tolerance for stupidity
Try looking in the mirror. "You can't pay players." Says who? Our CRT has been built up and doing quite well from what I've heard and seen. And the Big 12 is no garbage league. I guess if you think someone isn't a Heisman candidate then they're all garbage?

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Link please. I can't find it.

I think it’s an + article.

Here’s the except:

“But many options-especially as it relates to expansion-were vetted and deemed either not enough to move the needle financially, or would take away money from a school’s financial payout. As one athletic director said, “We already have too many mouths to feed.”

Last edited:
I think it’s an + article.

Here’s the except:

“But many options-especially as it relates to expansion-were vetted and deemed either not enough to move the needle finically, or would take away money from a school’s financial payout. As one athletic director said, “We already have too many mouths to feed.”
I'd have to read the whole thing. I think they are probably referring to adding closer schools like WVU, Cincy, UCF, etc, and they'd be right. Not sure the ACC is forward thinking enough to add Pac 12 schools in great markets.

The article is from September of last year when Texas & Oklahoma was still part of the Big 12 ….

Please… Take your propaganda elsewhere….

Try looking in the mirror. "You can't pay players." Says who? Our CRT has been built up and doing quite well from what I've heard and seen. And the Big 12 is no garbage league. I guess if you think someone isn't a Heisman candidate then they're all garbage?
Some of your nonsense would make Whistler mother fall out of her rocking chair laughing… Beat it…

I'd have to read the whole thing. I think they are probably referring to adding closer schools like WVU, Cincy, UCF, etc, and they'd be right. Not sure the ACC is forward thinking enough to add Pac 12 schools in great markets.

See if you can find the article. I mean it's being hidden right there in plain sight, but give it a try. Because that isn't what they are referring to at all.

And it should be pretty obvious that's the case. Like I said before, the estimates out there are that Oregon is worth around $30 per year. And either they or Washington are the most valuable "properties" left in that conference. And $30 million per year would take money out of the other ACC school's pockets.

Reactions: PittMan 72

4 XII teams ahead of ACC.

Huh.

I’m sure THIS is the year Miami and FSU get their s*** together 🤣
Misleading

The Big 12 Championship was by itself at noon and had CFP implications.

The American was up against the SEC at 3:30 but also had CFP implications.

The ACC had no CFP implications and was up against the Big Ten.

Regardless, that is not saving the Big 12. No one wants you guys.
the fact that the big 12 doesnt have a team that the big 10 and SEC wants is what actually might save that conference, as weird as that sounds..

of course they are going to take a hit come tv contract time with the only 2 teams worth watching now in the SEC

4 XII teams ahead of ACC.

Huh.

I’m sure THIS is the year Miami and FSU get their s*** together 🤣
Who are your flagship members now that Texas & Oklahoma are gone???? Good luck…🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

The ACC was playing at the same time the Big Ten was playing their championship game. When did the Big 12 play? In the afternoon?

Try again, sport….🤡

The AAC had more viewers than the ACC, period.

The AAC played in afternoon when more people are active, attending kid’s games, etc. ACC game was at night.
Wake Forest has THE smallest fansbase in the P5. Cincy/Houston was basically a quarterfinal. Pitt/Wake was just "another game." I am surprised that the game being meaningless from a national standpoint and up against the B10, it only got 700K less viewers than the Cincy quarterfinal

Wake Forest has THE smallest fansbase in the P5. Cincy/Houston was basically a quarterfinal. Pitt/Wake was just "another game." I am surprised that the game being meaningless from a national standpoint and up against the B10, it only got 700K less viewers than the Cincy quarterfinal
Viewership varies from year to year. It depends on matchups and CFP implications. I could have told you that the ACC Championship game would be last in viewership. Take a look at the matchups:

#3 Cincinnati vs #16 Houston. - CFP implications. Big TV markets If Cincinnati wins, they go to the CFP. Many eyes watching the game including OkSt fans hoping Cincy loses

#5 OkSt vs #9 Baylor - Two top ten teams. If OkSt wins and Cincinnati loses, OkSt possibly goes to the CFP.

#2 Michigan vs #13 Iowa - CFP implications. If Michigan loses, chaos sets in. If they win, they go to CFP. Two big schools with big alumni.

#15 Pitt vs #16 Wake Forest - No CFP implications. Winner to the Peach Bowl. Wake Forest has one of the smallest viewership in College Football.

Reactions: ThePanthers
XII is safe. We brought in 4 schools, including 2 AAC schools that brought in more viewers than the ACC game.
i love that you are on here every day, assuring us of the big 12's stability. like it's your job to convince us, over and over and over and over. Thank you for your service here, we really enjoy your confidence and we just hope that you can stay here and keep up these posts on a daily basis. Every day..

Please promise us that you'll do this for us. Dont leave, ever and dont you dare change the topic of your posts, we need you to focus on the big 12's future and nothing else. Deal?

The AAC title game brought more of an audience than the ACC title game, period. End of story. What an embarrassing indictment on a “Power 5” conference. Nah. “Clemson’s conference” is what it should be called. The rest aren’t to the caliber of the AAC.

SMF spouts off about the XII. He needs to worry about his own conference, other than Clemson. Shoot for the stars. Better luck next time drawing more of an audience than the Big East.
It is what it is. I know that I've tuned in several times this summer to the ACC Network to watch the re-play.

You can tune to the Big 12 network to watch WVU's conference title game...the numbers for that broadcast should be thru the roof.

XII is safe. We brought in 4 schools, including 2 AAC schools that brought in more viewers than the ACC
The funny thing is this Big 12 confidence is rooted in the fact that they willfully admit that 0 of their 14 schools are attractive to the P2 while the ACC sports 6-8 schools who could be on the P2's radar. They are basically saying "we suck, no one wants us so therefore, we are stable."

The AAC title game brought more of an audience than the ACC title game, period. End of story. What an embarrassing indictment on a “Power 5” conference. Nah. “Clemson’s conference” is what it should be called. The rest aren’t to the caliber of the AAC.

SMF spouts off about the XII. He needs to worry about his own conference, other than Clemson. Shoot for the stars. Better luck next time drawing more of an audience than the Big East.
The fact that you cannot comprehend this is an example of why WVU grads get labeled as stupid. This is really really easy. Wake is the worst P5 team from a fan standpoint and the game had 0 CFP implications and was up against a CFP play-in. The Cincy game had no other game from 3:30 till 4:30 when the SEC started and it was a playin game.

The ACC got 5.2 and 5.3 million up against the Big Ten in 16 and 17. 4.3 million in 2018 when Clemson was a 28 point favorite over Pitt. 10.1 million in 2020.

“6-8 schools”….lemme guess, Pitt and Wake Forest are 2 of the 6-8? 🤣
I’d say they are Clemson, FSU, Georgia Tech, Miami, UNC, NCST, UVA, Virginia Tech. I think each of those eight could generate some consideration for a number of reasons.

I'd like to think I am fairly subjective on college football subjects, including Pitt.
I posted the following in a thread on the pay board.

The problem with the ACC ratings (aside from going head to head with the Big 10 which tends to have huge audiences/fanbases) is how many years since 2003, the original raid, has the ACC had two top 10 teams? It was always Florida State dominant and everyone else flailing. Or then Clemson. Pitt? We seem like an outlier right now. Wake Forest? Even moreso. Now if we do it again, and are top 10, things and narratives start to change for both Pitt and the ACC

But the ACC needs Clemson and.......a couple of other teams to be ranked in the top 12. Preferably at least 1 other team to be consistent. Conventional wisdom says Miami or FSU, but that is no guarantee. But it needs a second power, then an 11 win Pitt, UNC or NC State or someone like that every once in awhile to give it some depth and relevance.

If you think about it fellas. When we were in the Big East, we used to trash the ACC for this very same thing. And meanwhile, you had WVU, Louisville, hell even Rutgers, USF and us, reaching the top 10 various times, post raid Big East. And before the raid, the Big East was much superior to the ACC and we always had at least 2 games, even a 3rd against a highly ranked conference foe.

The ACC has not done this. It usually has one dominant team, and a bunch of 7-5 type of teams. The ACC goes out and craps all over itself right out of the gate in the OOC....and it is always playing from behind the rest of the year. We need more than one team/program each year to be top 10.

Clemson, period.

BTW, did you know the Big East outdrew the ACC title game last year?

If Pitt or Wake Forest ever go undefeated, they shouldn’t get invite to new 16 team CFP idea. It should go to AAC or Sun Belt.
The Big 12 wont be the new Big East for a couple years and it had OK St playing for a CFP bid opposite no other game. Why is this so hard for you. Pitt/Wake isnt a good game. #15 WVU vs #16 Kansas opposite the B10CG gets similar ratings as Pitt/Wake

The Big 12 wont be the new Big East for a couple years and it had OK St playing for a CFP bid opposite no other game. Why is this so hard for you. Pitt/Wake isnt a good game. #15 WVU vs #16 Kansas opposite the B10CG gets similar ratings as Pitt/Wake
Why is it so hard for you not to be utterly embarrassed that your metro school and another school the size of Linsly can’t outdraw two other metro schools from the G5 league?

You would think your Pitt education would afford you the capability to understand that it’s never acceptable to be outdrawn by the Big East.

When Clemson isn’t good, the ACC is a laughingstock. Nah. That’s wrong. It just barely exists. It’s ignored. This number confirms that.

Why is it so hard for you not to be utterly embarrassed that your metro school and another school the size of Linsly can’t outdraw two other metro schools from the G5 league?

You would think your Pitt education would afford you the capability to understand that it’s never acceptable to be outdrawn by the Big East.

When Clemson isn’t good, the ACC is a laughingstock. Nah. That’s wrong. It just barely exists. It’s ignored. This number confirms that.
Can I tell you something? When Oklahoma and/or Texas isn't good, it is a laughing stock. And they are going to be gone. So....

Reactions: Dointhatrag
Can I tell you something? When Oklahoma and/or Texas isn't good, it is a laughing stock. And they are going to be gone. So....
The problem with this statement is that it’s wrong.

OSU/Baylor drew 4 times the number of the ACC and twice the number of Oregon/Utah….the two best remaining teams in that awful league.

The problem with this statement is that it’s wrong.

OSU/Baylor drew 4 times the number of the ACC and twice the number of Oregon/Utah….the two best remaining teams in that awful league.
YOU HAD NO COMPETITION AT THE TIME SLOT. I know WVU is LAST amongst P5 academic institutions but I thought you were one of their brighter ones.

Interesting that you see the ACC GOR as a positive. Frankly, I could argue it is as much a detriment as it is a positive. Lets say you're right. If so, that means the ACC is locked in a shit TV contract for many years to come...making upwards of $65+m less than the teams in the big two conferences (for what, another decade +?!). And, if the GOR is so "ironclad", ESPN has zero reason to pony-up more $$ (and lets not forget, ESPN isn't exactly a printing press of $$ these days). They have you guys by the nuts and you have no leverage to muscle ESPN into ponying-up more $$. Your only hope is ND coming to your salvation and thereby reopening TV renegotiations...good luck with that.

So, either the GOR can be broken and you will lose a few of your top teams to the B1G or SEC. Or you're locked in a shit contract and can't go anywhere that will allow you to compete with those making 2-3x per year. So, I'm struggling to see how or why you and a few others on here are feeling so smug.

FXg9NmrWQAITgcf

The ACC had Iowa and Michigan as competition.

The AAC had Bama and Georgia as competition.

The AAC still beat Clemson’s conference.

Huh.
I don't know if you're just messing with us or have a legit intellectual disability. The AAC was the ONLY game from 3:30-4:30 and the nation was highly interested to see if Cincy was going to clinch a CFP spot. At 8PM, the nation was highly interested in to see if Michigan was highly interested to see if Michigan would clinch a CFP spot. Pitt/Wake didnt register nationally. As much as I like Pitt, I dont know why anyone would watch that beyond the fanbases of both teams. As I said, its Kansas vs WVU for the B12C.

And the Big 12 was the LONE game at noon. The LONE game. Heck, we watched the end at Mellow Mushroom in Downtown Charlotte. Every TV in the place had it on. Why? It was the ONLY game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT