ADVERTISEMENT

I do not see how a tourney loss to Wake

Pitt is not going to get some kind of bonus for playing a guy who was less than 100%. There are guys less than 100% playing all around the country all the time. No one, literally no one, gets extra credit for that.

Especially when our best win - one of only two Q1 wins we have - was against a team down two starters. Yeah, not happening.

They still have 7 road wins which is tied for 2nd among power conference schools and they are 11-3 in their last 14 games and don’t really have any devastating horrific losses. The human element has to come into play as well here at some point and if you’re on the committee and have watched Pitt play these last 6-7 weeks they clearly pass the eye test of being an NCAA Tournament team.
I wish the above weighed more, you’d think. But somehow, our losses from 2-3 months ago are being used against Pitt.

Especially when our best win - one of only two Q1 wins we have - was against a team down two starters. Yeah, not happening.

And in yesterday's win NC State's best player left the game injured in the first half and never returned.

And you also saw yesterday why something like that won't matter, and won't be considered. Because the guy who got a ton more shots because of that injury went off, and was pretty much the only guy keeping them in the game.

We will be playing Notre Dame.
I think you need to root for Wake against the GT/ND winner if you're rooting to get into the tournament. Beating Wake probably puts us in. Beating ND or GT probably would not do it, we'd need another win to get in.

On the other hand, if you're rooting to win the ACC tournament (a far more realistic goal than winning the NCAA tournament), then you should root for upsets, so Pitt's route is easier.

I think you need to root for Wake against the GT/ND winner if you're rooting to get into the tournament. Beating Wake probably puts us in. Beating ND or GT probably would not do it, we'd need another win to get in.

On the other hand, if you're rooting to win the ACC tournament (a far more realistic goal than winning the NCAA tournament), then you should root for upsets, so Pitt's route is easier.

Beating WF gives us probably a 50% chance of getting in. If we beat our next opponent if it's UNC, then we're practically in with close to a 90% probability. If it's even a very close game decided by less than 5 points, we'll have a very good chance of making it. But just beating WF won't do it.

WF won't even make the quarterfinals. They are steaming hot garbage away from home. The ND/GT winner will beat them on Wednesday

Who knows, but that is the way it looks.

Looks like play in game with winner in and loser out.
I think Virginia is the weakest out of the 4 fighting for 2 or 3 spots.

Virginia played:

UNC home, Duke away, Pitt home, Wake twice, Clem away, Syr home

That is 7 against the winning 6 and "only 3" away.

We played 10 against the winning 6 with 5 away. They had the "far easier" ACC schedule.

We finished one game "behind" them and beat them at home.

Last edited:
Who knows, but that is the way it looks.

Looks like play in game with winner in and loser out.
If Clemson beats UVA and Wake beats Pitt, the ACC will get how many bids and who will they be?

Do you thinks metrics will make those decisions for the committee seamlessly, or will the committee "drill down"?

And in yesterday's win NC State's best player left the game injured in the first half and never returned.

And you also saw yesterday why something like that won't matter, and won't be considered. Because the guy who got a ton more shots because of that injury went off, and was pretty much the only guy keeping them in the game.

If we're being honest, Pitt got lucky this season in certain games:

- WVU could have beaten Pitt with Battle and Kriisa. They beat Kansas. It was possible.

- Duke certainly would have beaten us with Mitchell and Roach

- Monsanto only played a few minutes in our win as he was coming off an injury and scored 6 points on 1 shot.

- DJ Horne barely played yesterday.

If Clemson beats UVA and Wake beats Pitt, the ACC will get how many bids and who will they be?

Do you thinks metrics will make those decisions for the committee seamlessly, or will the committee "drill down"?

3 if Wake loses the next game

I believe the ACC will get 5 teams in and we will be one of them. I don't think the committee can exclude a team that finished its conference schedule with an 11-3 record. I haven't done the research on other conferences, that said, I would bet the only teams that finished their season with a stronger or comparable record are teams that are gonna reside on the top 3 seed lines. Perhaps someone can verify this. I mean, if you are going to penalize us for an early season loss to Mizzou, then you better forgive that loss considering our finish.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT