ADVERTISEMENT

"I don't believe we can win now."

I don't think it needs to be Deion Sanders level or anything, but maybe just someone similar to what Capel was on the basketball side (people were really excited about him).

I don't think Narduzzi is going anywhere because of his contract, but I do think there's something to be said about a coach sticking around too long. And it's a double whammy, because he's not only stale but he's also not exactly the guy you want to have in place in the NIL snake oil salesman era of college football.
Its a lot easier to build a Hoops program than it is a FB program. A guy like Capel wouldnt Move the needle for the FB program.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Its a lot easier to build a Hoops program than it is a FB program. A guy like Capel wouldnt Move the needle for the FB program.

Just about any new hire moves the needle at least somewhat. People want to be excited about something, and sometimes you just need change for the sake of change. Who's the famous coach who said nobody should ever stay at one place longer than ten years? I wanna say Bill Walsh, but don't quote me on that. Obviously it doesn't mean that no one has stayed longer than that and had success, but I think there's something to it. Things run their course, and you need some new blood sometimes.

If you had an employee who came back asking for a third raise in the last 5 months, after you've given him two already, what would you do?

You'd probably look at his production, what he costs, and what you'd replace him with and make the determination if he was worth the money. Or, maybe you'd simply say - I'm done with this bullshit. You aren't worth the headache. Ciao.

He doesn't need to stay, and he can do whatever he wants. Just like people can judge his actions towards a team that stuck by him, developed him, and paid him for his production. Nobody is required to wish him good luck.
I don't disagree with you on sometimes it better to let them go. My whole point is people are so hypocritical when they question a person's integrity when they leave for more NLI when they would do the same thing in their career. They think athletes owe their employer loyalty. You wouldn't see some one question a drivers integrity if they left UPS for a raise at FedEx but if a player leaves Pitt to play for an SEC school all the sudden the kid character is in question.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I don't disagree with you on sometimes it better to let them go. My whole point is people are so hypocritical when they question a person's integrity when they leave for more NLI when they would do the same thing in their career. They think athletes owe their employer loyalty. You wouldn't see some one question a drivers integrity if they left UPS for a raise at FedEx but if a player leaves Pitt to play for an SEC school all the sudden the kid character is in question.
Bad analogy! Ups driver compensation is considerably higher than FedEx. More like leaving Georgia for NIL at Kent State.

Reactions: dan15701
So how long must one stay in a job to be a good teammate/employee after getting a raise? If someone offered you a major raise at a more successful company you would turn it down because in December you negotiated a raise? People never judge coaches or employees for leaving for a job that provides them more money or better work environment, so why do people think it wrong for an athlete to do the same thing?
Can only speak for myself, but the "lip service" is what irks me.

Would have more respect of he just came out and said "im getting paid elsewhere"

Isnt that CFB today? I would think all of the graciousness and courtesy in these farewell posts is a thing of the past......

I don't think Narduzzi is going anywhere because of his contract, but I do think there's something to be said about a coach sticking around too long. And it's a double whammy, because he's not only stale but he's also not exactly the guy you want to have in place in the NIL snake oil salesman era of college fofootball.
I find it interesting that pitt fans complained we cant find a coach to stay here are now wondering if narduzzi has been here too long.

Im not suggesting you're wrong BTW.

All of these posts suggesting a new coach that can open up donors wallets ( particularly big donors) has the name Dave Wannstedt rattling around in my skull....

It might be hypocritical in some cases, but believe it or not, some people have loyalty, integrity, a sense of pride in finishing what you started, and aren't out there whoring ourselves every six months looking for a higher bidder. Comparing the current state of NIL to real world business scenarios is hardly an apt comparison.

Reactions: NCPitt
Hayes should absolutely try to make as much money as he possibly can this season because there's no guarantee he'll make an NFL roster. If someone out there wants to pay him a few hundred thousand more than we want to, then he would be stupid not to take it. He has basically just this year to max out his earnings unless he improves his draft stock.

I have no issue with players leaving for more money. My issue is with the system. These players need to be employees with contracts. If Hayes signed a 1 year deal last December then he is "stuck" here unless we trade him and yes, I think trades should be allowed once they become employees.
No if about it

He negotiated not one but two deals in the month of December

Pitt well within rights to draw a line

There’s many more athletes to pay after all

This hurts from a depth perspective. The DE’s are all unproven, as was Hayes. He had plenty of time to excel but never did. Some of that has to be on him. Pitt will need to find an adequate DE or two in the portal for depth. I think we still have some talented players and Edwards will need to give us something as a true freshman. A lot to ask but sounds like he has tons of potential, let’s hope he has a better motor. In Deshields I think we lost a much better player but it was at a position of strength.

I won’t write this year off yet. Need to see what we get from the portal and how the offense develops. Installing an entirely new offense will make for some challenging times ahead but I still think we have enough talent to be a solid team this year. I’d still put us at a 7+ win season right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT