ADVERTISEMENT

If you were in charge of a $10 million Pitt football NIL budget, how would you spend it?

Per year

I think Pitt needs to figure out a moneyball approach to this. Not sure if this would work but this is how I'd do it. I think $10 million is a reasonal salary budget for a school like Pitt.

QB: $2 million
WR 1: $ 1 million
WR 2: $500K
4 offensive linemen: $3 million

That's $6.5 million on offense. Looking at Pitt players in the past for comparison, I think these are the types of players we get with those numbers if they were in the portal or developed at Pitt:

QB - Tyler Palko
WR 1 - Tyler Boyd
WR 2 - Jester Weah
Linemen - about as good linemen as we've had except maybe Brian O'Neill

Defense -$2.5 million

DT - $750K
DE - $500K
Corner - $500K
MLB - $500K
Safety - $250K

Rest of team: $1 million

I'd also only keep 75 guys on scholarship. 85 is too many to pay. Don't bring in as many HS players who take time and that you have to pay to learn. Focus on the portal on guys who can plug and play even if they arent super talented. So 63 guys split $1 million. That's $16K/year.

I dont think you need to spend on a RB or TE. The RB position is irrelevant. The TE position is important but I dont think that in most cases we can afford a really good TE and even if we can, I dont see them making a big impact like you'll see with Gavin Bartholomew. I'd rather GB money went to a WR or OL.
steer it for more funding for the diamond sports?

Per year

I think Pitt needs to figure out a moneyball approach to this. Not sure if this would work but this is how I'd do it. I think $10 million is a reasonal salary budget for a school like Pitt.

That's $6.5 million on offense. Looking at Pitt players in the past for comparison, I think these are the types of players we get with those numbers if they were in the portal or developed at Pitt:

QB - Tyler Palko
WR 1 - Tyler Boyd
WR 2 - Jester Weah

Defense -$2.5 million

DT - $750K
DE - $500K
Corner - $500K
MLB - $500K
Safety - $250K

I'd also only keep 75 guys on scholarship. 85 is too many to pay. Don't bring in as many HS players who take time and that you have to pay to learn. Focus on the portal on guys who can plug and play even if they arent super talented. So 63 guys split $1 million. That's $16K/year.

I dont think you need to spend on a RB or TE. The RB position is irrelevant. The TE position is important but I dont think that in most cases we can afford a really good TE and even if we can, I dont see them making a big impact like you'll see with Gavin Bartholomew. I'd rather GB money went to a WR or OL.
I’m thinking pizza, beer and loose women!

I'd run the flexbone and save a ton of money on offensive talent.

QB's would take up 3-4 million.

I'd spend the rest (6-7 million) on defense.

Per year

QB - Tyler Palko
WR 1 - Tyler Boyd
WR 2 - Jester Weah

Defense -$2.5 million

DT - $750K
DE - $500K
Corner - $500K
MLB - $500K
Safety - $250K

Not to answer a question with a question but does Pitt actually have $10M to spend each year or do they have a total pool of $10M for use in NIL? If we were to allocate $10M to one particular class how do you refresh the pot of $$ to follow up the next year? Or do they actually have a significantly larger amount of cash that enables them to spend $10M per year without touching the capital? Just curious how much we can really spend per year on NIL.

Cruzer

Not to answer a question with a question but does Pitt actually have $10M to spend each year or do they have a total pool of $10M for use in NIL? If we were to allocate $10M to one particular class how do you refresh the pot of $$ to follow up the next year? Or do they actually have a significantly larger amount of cash that enables them to spend $10M per year without touching the capital? Just curious how much we can really spend per year on NIL.

Cruzer

I dont know but the rule of thumb is you need a payroll of $2 million/year to be competitive so if you dont have $10 million/year for football, its a lost cause. J wonder if something like this may force the ACC to evict a school like BC which has no real chance to be competitive. Its a small school and their rich alums dont care about football or college sports in general. Perhaps this is part of a "settlement" with FSU. Let them pick 2 schools to evict (BC, Wake). And 2 schools to add. They said they badly wanted Oregon State.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT