ADVERTISEMENT

Intersting info on possible OC Mike Yurcich

pierre93

Athletic Director
Apr 2, 2004
Married a girl from.......Youngstown, OH. I think he'd be a good hire. JMO H2P!!!!!

Last edited:
He lit us up while at Oklahoma St. I wouldn't mind the hire. H2P

Not really following what happend at PSU to his OC performance. He was great at DII, then OK.St. , good enough to get offers. What changed at PSU?

Said I THINK it will be a good hire. At this point PN needs to make a hire and quit shitting around.

Reactions: Parkview57
how about the OC for the 12th highest scoring team in 2023 and 20th highest scoring in 2022?

How about no because that team often has top 10 recruiting classes and they ran up the score against Delaware and UMass, which inflates their stats.

How about no because that team often has top 10 recruiting classes and they ran up the score against Delaware and UMass, which inflates their stats.
they hung 31 on Iowa and were 23rd in F+ Offense which measures performance vs. the average the opponent allowed. They were 19th last season. To put those in perspective, Pitt was 22nd in 2021.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
It’s not going to really matter who Pitt hires if they don’t fix the talent on offense especially at the QB position
Coordinators can either highlight a person's strength or make their weaknesses more glaring. Canada made Nathan Peterman look like top round QB. Whipple coached Pickett into a first rounder.....coaching matters as much or at times more than talent.

Coordinators can either highlight a person's strength or make their weaknesses more glaring. Canada made Nathan Peterman look like top round QB. Whipple coached Pickett into a first rounder.....coaching matters as much or at times more than talent.
Both of those QB’s had a top Rb,WR and OL,Pitt currently has very little to no talent at all of those positions currently

they hung 31 on Iowa and were 23rd in F+ Offense which measures performance vs. the average the opponent allowed. They were 19th last season. To put those in perspective, Pitt was 22nd in 2021.

Yeah but they underperformed based on the athletes they recruit.

Our breakdowns of Yurcich's offensive concepts/philosophy shortly after his 2021 hire at PSU:

RPOs:

General offense:
Take a breathe and watch these.

This is exactly what people have been begging for.

Don't need a war and peace playbook.

Much smaller selection of plays, but spead the defense out, with options, rpos, and get players into space.

He made a number of otherwise mediocre qbs like Mason Rudolph into really good players.

Kenny Johnson could easily be James Washington. Saw where PSU had the most TDs by TEs this year, he'd probably be able to actually get Bart going. Think about Hammond getting going in the run plays here.

You need depth at wr in these offenses, Reynolds probably would shine a but, gotta hope one of the other frosh can be players. He might actually be able to get something out of Che's blazing speed.

It's not ideal, but this would be a lot easier offense to make Yarny or CV work if they couldn't get a transfer.

The "younger" options that had some decent experience didn't pan out, all that I'd left now like that are guys with no or very limited major experience.

Honestly, this would clearly be the best oc hire HCPN has made.

The dude is an odd ball, don’t worry about him speaking to the media. No one will ever understand it anyway.

How would people feel about Yurcich with Bell being added as RB Coach/Co OC,
Pay Bell enough to come, it would be a next step for him to move up the ranks

If you told me we had to hire a fired in-state coordinator, I would have picked Matt Canada. He is a really good college coordinator. Set school records here with marginal NFL talent.

I know Dugger was plan B or C, but they at least looked at a kid with some dual abilities. Straightline speed great, but not the twitchy stuff.

If you told me we had to hire a fired in-state coordinator, I would have picked Matt Canada. He is a really good college coordinator. Set school records here with marginal NFL talent.
Best OL in I don't even know how long.
NFL RB.
QB played in the NFL.
TE, FB and smurf WR that fit the scheme perfectly.

Matt Canada did a great job at Pitt, but he had a lot of talent to do it with.

Reactions: Burgh15
Best OL in I don't even know how long.
NFL RB.
QB played in the NFL.
TE, FB and smurf WR that fit the scheme perfectly.

Matt Canada did a great job at Pitt, but he had a lot of talent to do it with.

Conner was 75% maybe. He didnt have a great year.

- Quadree Henderson isnt some generational player. He played a couple games in the NFL. There are Quadree Henderson's littered throughout the NCAA.

- FB - Aston was good but no NFL (I know its hard for a FB)

- Weah - no NFL

- Orndoff - played a few games in NFL I think

- Peterman - low level NFL

OL - I don't remember

Good talent? Yes. Best in school history? No. He got a lot out of that team.

Take a breathe and watch these.

This is exactly what people have been begging for.

Don't need a war and peace playbook.

Much smaller selection of plays, but spead the defense out, with options, rpos, and get players into space.

He made a number of otherwise mediocre qbs like Mason Rudolph into really good players.

Kenny Johnson could easily be James Washington. Saw where PSU had the most TDs by TEs this year, he'd probably be able to actually get Bart going. Think about Hammond getting going in the run plays here.

You need depth at wr in these offenses, Reynolds probably would shine a but, gotta hope one of the other frosh can be players. He might actually be able to get something out of Che's blazing speed.

It's not ideal, but this would be a lot easier offense to make Yarny or CV work if they couldn't get a transfer.

The "younger" options that had some decent experience didn't pan out, all that I'd left now like that are guys with no or very limited major experience.

Honestly, this would clearly be the best oc hire HCPN has made.
I'm with u on this one Jeff!!! We could do alot worse than Mike Y. Also he probably wants to stick it to Franklin on the recruiting trail. H2P!!!

Unless he's bringing Franklin's budget with him, I don't think he's going to win many recruiting battles against Franklin.
You don't know that and we all know Frankie boy can do know wrong with u. Plzzzzz,

Both of those QB’s had a top Rb,WR and OL,Pitt currently has very little to no talent at all of those positions currently
That 2021 OL and RB all came back in 2022. I guess it was all one reviver that made the difference.
Conner was 75% maybe. He didnt have a great year.

- Quadree Henderson isnt some generational player. He played a couple games in the NFL. There are Quadree Henderson's littered throughout the NCAA.

- FB - Aston was good but no NFL (I know its hard for a FB)

- Weah - no NFL

- Orndoff - played a few games in NFL I think

- Peterman - low level NFL

OL - I don't remember

Good talent? Yes. Best in school history? No. He got a lot out of that team.
Biggest thing to look at is how all that returning “talent” did the following year with Watson at OC.

Reactions: cashisking884
That was one of two great seasons he had as a college OC. The rest were average or below average.

Reactions: cashisking884
Yeah but they underperformed based on the athletes they recruit.

I think this is a fair criticism for his time at PSU, and whether the results were amazing relative to the talent PSU had vs the talent of the average team on their schedule.

But he still did pretty good there.
And I don’t think that talent argument would work for his time at OSU. The cowboys weren’t dominating in the Big 12 in recruiting.

He would be a pretty good hire. And probably on paper the only OC I thought Narduzzi has hired that could work out pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT