ADVERTISEMENT

Is Blake Hinson an NBA prospect?

Pitt79

Board of Trustee
Oct 3, 2005
A guy that big and strong, and he constantly knocks down NBA distance 3s. How did he fly under the radar to get to not playing a whole year and end up at Pitt? NBA seems like all you have to do is hit those long shots and they'll take you?

He doesn’t have great ball handling skills or 1 on 1 game. He can shoot but his abilities are limited.
Perhaps he could back down a defender but there isn’t a call or need for that in Pitt’s attack scheme. We’ll never know because he will shoot from anywhere before it gets to that. Lol. Not a great handle for fast breaks at least not now.

Hinson doesn't defend well enough. There's a lot of guys his size who can shoot the 3. To make the NBA he'd either need to majorly improve his defense or develop a more well rounded offensive game. You can't be a catch and shoot 3 guy without playing any defense.

I almost never watch NBA anymore, because I get bored watching the constant 3 point shooting for 90% of the game and lack of D and physicality and no ballhandling or travelling standards, I was just curious about Hinson, because he takes a lot of shots from NBA 3 distance and makes them.

Hinson doesn't defend well enough. There's a lot of guys his size who can shoot the 3. To make the NBA he'd either need to majorly improve his defense or develop a more well rounded offensive game. You can't be a catch and shoot 3 guy without playing any defense.
What is NBA for "defend well" you mean get out to the 3-point line before they can shoot? They don't allow much D other than that.

A guy that big and strong, and he constantly knocks down NBA distance 3s. How did he fly under the radar to get to not playing a whole year and end up at Pitt? NBA seems like all you have to do is hit those long shots and they'll take you?
He needs to improve a lot on defense.

Reactions: Drew1208
I think he could play in the NBA, even if just for a few years like Champigne and Lamar Patterson. But I think he first needs to improve his conditioning to get there.

Reactions: zookeeper2000
No. I know everyone lies about their height even after including shoes but I saw him at my bus stop and without his hair, he was like just slightly above my height (6'3".) He has slow feet. He can't switch on screens at the next level. His three point shooting is fine for college but not elite at 38%. Our guys who have gone to the pros have been more explosive and springy.

What is NBA for "defend well" you mean get out to the 3-point line before they can shoot? They don't allow much D other than that.
You're proving you don't watch a lot of NBA. Unless you have some insane offensive skills, generally you can't play if you can't switch on screens to cover quick penetrating guards and also ice screens on the pick and roll. NBA defense is better than you give it credit for, it's actually harder to play it all with your feet since hand checking is more discouraged.

shutterstock_editorial_5882229e.jpg
No. I know everyone lies about their height even after including shoes but I saw him at my bus stop and without his hair, he was like just slightly above my height (6'3".) He has slow feet. He can't switch on screens at the next level. His three point shooting is fine for college but not elite at 38%. Our guys who have gone to the pros have been more explosive and springy.
He's actually 6'5", with the afro 6'9".

You're proving you don't watch a lot of NBA. Unless you have some insane offensive skills, generally you can't play if you can't switch on screens to cover quick penetrating guards and also ice screens on the pick and roll. NBA defense is better than you give it credit for, it's actually harder to play it all with your feet since hand checking is more discouraged.
I don't, I've probably watched parts of a few games this year, I can't stick with it, it bores me too much emphasis on shooting 3s, too good at shooting 3s, no hand checking or tough D allowed, loose on ballhandling or travelling rules, I find it boring. I seriously think the reason college basketball is more fun to watch is precisely because there's less scoring and the players are way less talented. I was a Bulls fan from the 70s-90s, I honestly lost interest and mostly stopped watching NBA when the 97 Bulls broke up, years later I'd try to watch games and it was boring and unrecognizable to me.

Last edited:
I think he could play in the NBA, even if just for a few years like Champigne and Lamar Patterson. But I think he first needs to improve his conditioning to get there.
With Champagnie and Patterson in the NBA, I think you mean for a few games, as opposed to a few years.

no ballhandling lol what??? This generation has the most skill of any generation ever!
I almost never watch NBA anymore, because I get bored watching the constant 3 point shooting for 90% of the game and lack of D and physicality and no ballhandling or travelling standards, I was just curious about Hinson, because he takes a lot of shots from NBA 3 distance and makes them.

the defense isn't lacking, guys are literally so incredibly skilled its near impossible to guard some people.

Yes, but needs to get in better shape, get a better handle and get better penetrating.

no ballhandling lol what??? This generation has the most skill of any generation ever!
What I mean is they rarely call ball handling or travelling infractions, if they're so great, make the calls intensely tight, CALL EVERYTHING. every tiny step or slip, every half palm, call it all.

the defense isn't lacking, guys are literally so incredibly skilled its near impossible to guard some people.
What about if they allowed 1980s defense again, would that help the D win some battles? Personally, I'd rather see a 70-69 game than a 120-118 game with no D, just long 3s and dunks.

What I mean is they rarely call ball handling or travelling infractions, if they're so great, make the calls intensely tight, CALL EVERYTHING. every tiny step or slip, every half palm, call it all.

Why on earth would they do that?

People pay lots of money to watch guys make great plays. They do not pay any money to watch the refs call a palming violation.

Reactions: pittchagg
Fwiw, when Hinson gave up football, he was the #1 ranked TE in the country. I’d venture to say he’d be great alongside or across from Bart next year if he wanted

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT