ADVERTISEMENT

Is Blake Hinson an NBA prospect?

Hinson has a skill that is a necessity in the NBA .

Remember he hasn’t played in 2 yrs , let’s see how he progresses hopefully for the next two yrs at Pitt .

People always say that, but besides Gates and Gonzalez who's done that? Didn't Chevy Troutman try to do that?
Ditka
images

Why on earth would they do that?

People pay lots of money to watch guys make great plays. They do not pay any money to watch the refs call a palming violation.
I like watching real, old-school basketball like the 70s-90s, the college game is more like that, I don't care at all about fantabulous ultra-athletic dunks and 40-foot 3s. I don't care about ooohs and ahs, to me the game looks stupid and WWE-like when LeBron or Giannis off the hook mind numbing dunk is preceded by a carry and 5 steps.

I like watching real, old-school basketball like the 70s-90s, the college game is more like that, I don't care at all about fantabulous ultra-athletic dunks and 40-foot 3s. I don't care about ooohs and ahs, to me the game looks stupid and WWE-like when LeBron or Giannis off the hook mind numbing dunk is preceded by a carry and 5 steps.

And that's fine. But you are one person. The number of people who think that way is, not surprisingly, exceedingly small.

Not necessarily, there are a lot of CBB fans who don't watch the NBA.

Which is absolutely true, and also absolutely irrelevant to the point.

Unless you think that college basketball in 2023 is anything at all like it was in the 70s.

Which is absolutely true, and also absolutely irrelevant to the point.

Unless you think that college basketball in 2023 is anything at all like it was in the 70s.
Who said it is? I DIDN'T SAY THAT, but it is more like basketball BY THE RULES, more like old school basketball than the NBA, they allow tighter D, they call the travelling and ball handling rules, it's different from the NBA, MORE LIKE old school basketball than NBA, your opinion is irrelevant if you think current college basketball is like the current NBA. If you knew how to read, you would have read that I said "The college game is MORE LIKE THAT" not exactly like that.

Not only "not exactly that", "not anything like that at all".

College basketball today is a lot closer to the NBA today than it is to 1970s basketball. By miles.
No it isn't, it's more like the NBA 30 years ago, YOU'RE WRONG, I'M RIGHT THE END.

You're proving you don't watch a lot of NBA. Unless you have some insane offensive skills, generally you can't play if you can't switch on screens to cover quick penetrating guards and also ice screens on the pick and roll. NBA defense is better than you give it credit for, it's actually harder to play it all with your feet since hand checking is more discouraged.
But they don’t need as many offensive skills because they don’t let handchecking happen, and they don’t let anything resembling a hard foul happening without calling a flagrant one or two. Sure guys go through the motions of playing defense but there is no way these guys are playing as good a defense today as the guys were playing in the late 90s early 2000s NBA is now way too soft. If I want to watch euro ball, I would sign up for some international channel to watch euro league. Is the only way to some of these guys can get off their shots the way that they do it’s because they they don’t let guys play defense lol. what do you think these teams would be able to do today if they had the 89 Detroit Pistons playing defense on them? There is no way these guys would be getting all these triple doubles and what not. Adam Silver ruined the NBA and David Stern, started that process by going out of his way to change the rules so that LeBron James could do whatever he wanted to do.

Last edited:
Who said it is? I DIDN'T SAY THAT, but it is more like basketball BY THE RULES, more like old school basketball than the NBA, they allow tighter D, they call the travelling and ball handling rules, it's different from the NBA, MORE LIKE old school basketball than NBA, your opinion is irrelevant if you think current college basketball is like the current NBA. If you knew how to read, you would have read that I said "The college game is MORE LIKE THAT" not exactly like that.

haha…. The NBA and college basketball have different rules…. But the biggest difference why the game looks “different” and why the defense looks so much better in college is because college players are so much less skilled than NBA players.

The spacing in the NBA is so much different and it’s so much harder to play defense because of how tall, athletic, and skilled all the players are.

Also, while they of course let a carry and travel go here and there, the footwork that these guys have is also crazy and there’s a lot of moves and footwork that looks like a travel to old geezers that isn’t by definition a travel.

So yeah. Watch the NBA or don’t watch the NBA…. I don’t care.

But your reasonings are….. really dumb.

My only real gripe with the NBA is the load management stuff which I think is unfair to fans, especially those who pay to go to games.

Reactions: gilligan 3
haha…. The NBA and college basketball have different rules…. But the biggest difference why the game looks “different” and why the defense looks so much better in college is because college players are so much less skilled than NBA players.

The spacing in the NBA is so much different and it’s so much harder to play defense because of how tall, athletic, and skilled all the players are.

Also, while they of course let a carry and travel go here and there, the footwork that these guys have is also crazy and there’s a lot of moves and footwork that looks like a travel to old geezers that isn’t by definition a travel.

So yeah. Watch the NBA or don’t watch the NBA…. I don’t care.

But your reasonings are….. really dumb.

My only real gripe with the NBA is the load management stuff which I think is unfair to fans, especially those who pay to go to games.
There's constant travelling in the NBA and carrying, tighten up the definition to 1980s level, then CALL ALL OF IT, Allow rough defense, have the refs watch 1980s-90s games and let them make the game like that again. And I've said many times, the reason college basketball is more fun and interesting to watch is specifically because the players are way less talented. And yes, they do allow way more contact in college. Or you're right, don't watch it. College ball is the real game, they could do things to make NBA interesting again, but it seems like most NBA fans like the current 3-point shooting contests and think fantabulous dunks matter more than playing by the rules of the traditional sport so let them have 5 steps and carries. It would even be good if the NBA increased the shot clock to 30 seconds so there' less throwing up shots just because the clock is running out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Millerton24
But they don’t need as many offensive skills because they don’t let handchecking happen, and they don’t let anything resembling a hard foul happening without calling a flagrant one or two. Sure guys go through the motions of playing defense but there is no way these guys are playing as good a defense today as the guys were playing in the late 90s early 2000s NBA is now way too soft. If I want to watch euro ball, I would sign up for some international channel to watch euro league. Is the only way to some of these guys can get off their shots the way that they do it’s because they they don’t let guys play defense lol. what do you think these teams would be able to do today if they had the 89 Detroit Pistons playing defense on them? There is no way these guys would be getting all these triple doubles and what not. Adam Silver ruined the NBA and David Stern, started that process by going out of his way to change the rules so that LeBron James could do whatever he wanted to do.
There is a lot more hand checking now than in 2005 or so, they let a lot more in. Love the Bad Boy Pistons but I think they would struggle today because Mahorn and Laimbeer couldn't defend the high pick and roll. You need more athletic bigs to deal with switches and you can't just go under screens and assume someone won't hit a three. Their legendary hacking isn't so effective 20 feet from the hoop.

Another thing is today thankfully there is no illegal defense call. So a player like Rodman would be more of an offensive liability. In the other days, you were forced to defend him above the foul line even though there was literally a 1% chance he'd ever try to shoot out there. But if you sagged off, you were hit with a warning then technical foul. The end of illegal defense rules has defenses more able to give multiple looks to attack offenses instead of being locked into one system.

Another thing is today thankfully there is no illegal defense call. So a player like Rodman would be more of an offensive liability. In the other days, you were forced to defend him above the foul line even though there was literally a 1% chance he'd ever try to shoot out there. But if you sagged off, you were hit with a warning then technical foul. The end of illegal defense rules has defenses more able to give multiple looks to attack offenses instead of being locked into one system.
when did they change the defense rules?

when did they change the defense rules?
Illegal defense was dropped in 2001. The idea was to allow zone, which would encourage teams to fast break more to score before a zone was set up.

Reality is teams pretty rarely use zone in the NBA but it did allow defenders to better double team without fully leaving their man. I love 80s NBA but there was a terrible trend where teams would do this play where four guys would stand on one side of the hoop and the other guy would go one on one isolated on the other side and the defense was powerless to help.

Illegal defense was dropped in 2001. The idea was to allow zone, which would encourage teams to fast break more to score before a zone was set up.

Reality is teams pretty rarely use zone in the NBA but it did allow defenders to better double team without fully leaving their man. I love 80s NBA but there was a terrible trend where teams would do this play where four guys would stand on one side of the hoop and the other guy would go one on one isolated on the other side and the defense was powerless to help.
I knew they changed that, just didn't remember when, because I was a Bulls fan from the 70s-90s and kind of lost interest when the Jordan Bulls broke up. Before that I was a pretty regular NBA watcher, then in recent years I try to watch it and don't enjoy it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT