ADVERTISEMENT

It looks like FSU is voting to challenge the GOR tomorrow

It seems silly for them to be “reenergized” about this because they got snubbed.

If they were in the SEC playing with their backup QB, they probably lose a game or two anayway.

(Don’t get me wrong. Based on performance, they should be in. But the averageness of the ACC helped them in this case. Otherwise, they likely wouldn’t even have been in a position to feel snubbed)

Reactions: Jim Z and pbrad
Not a question of IF anymore so there is no scenario.
If FSU actually challenges the GOR itself, then ACC have to decide if worth to fight on or settle.
I'd doubt ACC simply goes to table without actual court challenge.
I have my doubts still as all FSU has done has blown air.

With all this talk of FSU leaving for the Big 10, am I the only one that thinks Miami makes more sense?

And its highly likely that the Big 10 would not just take 1, and to me, there are more attractive candidates out there than FSU.

A Big 10 presence in Miami, Atlanta or Charlotte with the corresponding schools is a no brainer.

But maybe im wrong. FSU is known as "The Harvard of the Panhandle"......im sure that will seal the deal.

10 schools have to walk away for the ACC GOR to dissove,you aren’t getting that,you might not get half of that

1) FSU
2) Clemson
3) Carolina
4) Miami
5) Virginia?
I still think the 3 new schools are in play because they aren’t receiving anything.
6) California
7) Stanford
8) SMU

So why wouldn’t 2 join the fight? I would lead to a renegotiation of media rights maybe more money per team than now.
I don’t see more than 4 teams leaving so the conference isn’t going anywhere.

Down side, maybe the new media deal is worse than the current bad deal. If they do go to court a settlement will come. I personally don’t expect the ACC to win this battle in court.

It’s not right, but nothing is guaranteed anymore when this much money is involved

Not a question of IF anymore so there is no scenario.
If FSU actually challenges the GOR itself, then ACC have to decide if worth to fight on or settle.
I'd doubt ACC simply goes to table without actual court challenge.
I have my doubts still as all FSU has done has blown air.

The ACC really has no reason to fight this all the way and not settle.

Settle = Clem, UNC, others leave and the ACC is done

Go to court and lose = Clem, UNC, and others leave and the ACC is done

Go to court and win = teams may stay until 2036

So why settle?

1) FSU
2) Clemson
3) Carolina
4) Miami
5) Virginia?
I still think the 3 new schools are in play because they aren’t receiving anything.
6) California
7) Stanford
8) SMU

So why wouldn’t 2 join the fight? I would lead to a renegotiation of media rights maybe more money per team than now.
I don’t see more than 4 teams leaving so the conference isn’t going anywhere.

Down side, maybe the new media deal is worse than the current bad deal. If they do go to court a settlement will come. I personally don’t expect the ACC to win this battle in court.

It’s not right, but nothing is guaranteed anymore when this much money is involved

Not sure anyone on that list below 2 or 3 would have a seat at the table in the big 2 conferences. Which leads to the next question of why would teams below 4 or 5 be stupid enough to vote and dissolve the GOR? Assuming teams 4 or 5 are stupid enough to think anybody wants them.

Why would any school want to renegotiate their media rights deal after letting their best football schools leave?

Idk, a small private school in a huge city where they struggle to sell tickets in a rented stadium doesn't scream "Big Ten Ethos" to me.
On the surface, i would agree. However I think the Big 10 is a kingmaker. Not to mention thousands of Big 10 transplants living in S Florida.

The recruiting benefits speak for themselves?

On the surface, i would agree. However I think the Big 10 is a kingmaker. Not to mention thousands of Big 10 transplants living in S Florida.

The recruiting benefits speak for themselves?
Oh, no doubt. I think that'd be the most appealing thing to the individual schools, getting to tap into that recruiting ground.

Not sure anyone on that list below 2 or 3 would have a seat at the table in the big 2 conferences. Which leads to the next question of why would teams below 4 or 5 be stupid enough to vote and dissolve the GOR? Assuming teams 4 or 5 are stupid enough to think anybody wants them.

Why would any school want to renegotiate their media rights deal after letting their best football schools leave?

Like I said I don’t think more than 4 would leave ND would but they’re not a football member. I still think they would end up leaving for the B1G. Sooner or later they will have to make that decision. NBC is a B1G partner and ND is playing hockey in the conference writing is on the wall.

Like I said I don’t think more than 4 would leave ND would but they’re not a football member. I still think they would end up leaving for the B1G. Sooner or later they will have to make that decision. NBC is a B1G partner and ND is playing hockey in the conference writing is on the wall.
There's no chance the GOR gets dissolved unless FSU wins in court. That's the only outcome that leads to it being dissolved.

Reactions: NCPitt
Exactly, the big 10 is all about large diploma mills in the middle of nowhere!
Nothing wrong with that really, if Pitt built like 10 more branches 50 years ago, maybe they'd be pulling in more donations.

Do you need a seat at the top two or has the B12 cobbled enough garbage of misfit toys to get ACC schools to jump and created a definite #3

Unless FSU wins in court to deny the legitimacy of the GOR agreement, I'm struggling to understand what another conference would gain by taking FSU? If 12 years worth of FSU TV money is given to the ACC, what does the conference they move to get, other than another good team to contend with for wins and championships.

A good team in a geographic hotbed makes sense to the conference, even if they win the championship regularly (see Clemson) because the conference benefits financially from TV exposure and signifcant bowl money if it gets into the FBS playoff games. It the GOR survives legally, FSU is nothing but a financial drag on the conference where they go.

For this reason I think the meeting is very simple, lawyers telling FSU what the chances are of them being able to upend the legal rights of the GOR. Frankly, this sounds like it could be a very long court case with many appeals that could drag on for years. What's ACC got to lose by taking it to court, other than legal fees? If they lose either the court case or FSU, the conference is likely doomed.

Personally, I'm tired of the FSU drama...You want to leave, then f*cking go. College athletics is in a shambles now and it seems that there is no going back....the student athlete is an anachronism....

There's no chance the GOR gets dissolved unless FSU wins in court. That's the only outcome that leads to it being dissolved.

I hope but I see a settlement coming. The ACC doesn’t want this constant ass pain. A long protracted battle in court is costly and I don’t think the ACC is up for it. We’ll know soon enough

Reactions: ThePanthers
Personally, I'm tired of the FSU drama...You want to leave, then f*cking go. College athletics is in a shambles now and it seems that there is no going back....the student athlete is an anachronism....

That's how I feel. But they are scared to leave without rights to any TV revenue. SMU can go without TV revenue but big, bad FSU cannot. They will only leave if the Tallahassee court rules that the GOR is an illegal contract.

I hope but I see a settlement coming. The ACC doesn’t want this constant ass pain. A long protracted battle in court is costly and I don’t think the ACC is up for it. We’ll know soon enough

Can you explain why the ACC would settle? If they settle then Clemson and UNC are out the door. UVa and Miami not far behind.

Reactions: pbrad
No longer having an openly disgruntled lame duck member who will leave eventually anyway. Because there is always risk in litigation. Because litigation can be expensive and distracting. Because it's likely better to focus on strengthening the conference than fighting scorched-earth litigation with a soon-to-be former member.
There will be no one left to strengthen the conference. The ACC waited too long when the big 10 and SEC took all of the good schools. They also got into the ESPN contract too soon. If FSU leaves the dominos will fall.

There will be no one left to strengthen the conference. The ACC waited too long when the big 10 and SEC took all of the good schools. They also got into the ESPN contract too soon. If FSU leaves the dominos will fall.
Depends. If FSU has to buy their way out based on what they agreed to and signed up for per the GOR, then the other ACC schools will be flush with $$$$$$. That would likely be an amount worth north of $700 million counting the exit fee and media rights through 2036. (And I may be underestimating that total.)

And if I’m the ACC, I make FSU pay EVERY PENNY that they agreed to in order to walk. FSU wants to “have their cake and eat it too”. 😂😂😂

If that were the case and a precedent were set, nobody would EVER be accountable for what they signed and agreed to. There are legal remedies to get out of things. FSU knows what theirs are: Pay. Or stay. 🤷‍♂️

The ACC waited too long when the big 10 and SEC took all of the good schools.

You really don't think that there are any schools that would have gone to the ACC instead of the Big Ten or the SEC if the ACC had just tried to get them sooner, do you?

There is no one, literally no one, that was going to pick the ACC over the SEC or the Big Ten.

Well, that's the point. They are voting tomorrow to challenge the GOR in court.
Right, because there's not enough support to change or dissolve the GOR. Which is what we were discussing.

I think the ACC will be more than up for it, and a long expensive one at that. Every member is paying the ACC legal bills, vs FSU paying their own.

They may settle at some point, but it's going to have to be a really big number. There's not much incentive for the ACC to settle.

I’m not sure what you mean by “got into the ESPN contract too soon”. Also no one was picking the acc over the big or sec

I just don’t see them spending $20M and still having Free Shoes U in the conference. The conference will survive regardless

To be clear, you think the ACC should settle somewhere in the middle and say, they tell FSU that the GOR remains but they'll give them like half their ACC revenue share when they are in the Big Ten? You think this is better than spending $20 million in court fees?

To be clear, you think the ACC should settle somewhere in the middle and say, they tell FSU that the GOR remains but they'll give them like half their ACC revenue share when they are in the Big Ten? You think this is better than spending $20 million in court fees?

I just think it’s how things like this works. ACC doesn’t want them continuing to trash the conference and FSU doesn’t want to be here. I don’t know which conference they (FSU) wants to move too, or which one honestly wants the headache they bring. I will just be glad when their gone.

I just think it’s how things like this works. ACC doesn’t want them continuing to trash the conference and FSU doesn’t want to be here. I don’t know which conference they (FSU) wants to move too, or which one honestly wants the headache they bring. I will just be glad when their gone.

So you think FSU trashing the conference is a bigger risk than the death of the ACC which is what will happen if they settle since others will leave shortly after? How does that make any sense. You settle and the ACC is done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT