ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

You do not goon it up in game 6 at home !
Are you idiots ?!?
We are all pissed about Crosby and the head hunting -

but don’t be stupid - did you really think we were going to win 2 out of 3 in the Garden!!!

You do not goon it up in game 6 at home !
Are you idiots ?!?
We are all pissed about Crosby and the head hunting -

but don’t be stupid - did you really think we were going to win 2 out of 3 in the Garden!!!
Um we almost certainly win if Crosby doesn't get hit and leave the game. We were up 2-0 and the Rangers had no answers so yes.

So, you're the self proclaimed hockey guru. How do you feel this morning about the sport?
You seem to pay attention to other teams, the stars, the style of play, etc. So what's the use??

The best player in the world has been eliminated from the playoffs by a guy who couldn't carry his jock strap, just like that, on a play where he wasn't even penalized!!!

And the answer? Dress a goon to take out a good player from the other side. LOL What a sport???
So is this hockey or MMA? Should there be a cyclone fence around the rink? No wonder Mark Madden fancies himself a hockey expert. His two sports, WWF and NHL are essentially the same.

How can you take this sport seriously when shit like this happens every single year?? Football protects the QB's, the NBA doesn't have this, MLB doesn't allow bean balls, but hockey allows teams with less talent to even the playing field by eliminating the great players who can beat them.

How silly?? Hockey will always be a fringe sport because it can't get out of its own way and is run by a bunch of troglodytes who think goonery is a big part of their game.
This mentality is why hockey will never be more than a niche sport. Got to get rid of the old school Canadian mentality. When hockey is played the right way with skill, it is in my eyes the best sport in the world. But this mentality about rewarding this type of play just kills the sport. Bettman needs to go and all of the others in the league office.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The Penguins may as well just keep playing normally and trying to win their usual way, because as myself and others have noted, they aren’t constituted to fight back anyway, they’d just embarrass themselves. Freaking Malkin is the best fighter on the team.

Reactions: gary2
Um we almost certainly win if Crosby doesn't get hit and leave the game. We were up 2-0 and the Rangers had no answers so yes.
And if crosby is hurt and can’t play game 6-
Acting like goons is essentially conceding the game .

you folks are too emotionally reactive - and not thinking .
The rangers won’t win 3 in a row .
Unless we make it easy for them by giving them a bunch of power plays

Pretty sure turning the game/series into a brawl is going to work against you when you're not set up for it. These teams that do this are trying to get you out of your game.
No doubt.

Our game and lack of physical response is well known and long established.

No questions as to what we might do.

Problem (and I feel bad calling it a problem) is that benign passivity has been Lemieux’s position, and given his stature and executive position with the team, up to now has guided the team’s hires, rosters and philosophies on this subject. Again, he has the right idea in theory, but the game (which is a business) hasn’t changed and apparently never will, so how many times to you let your star players take the abuse?
Lemieux had protection. Why do you think JayCaulfield was around?

Rutherford saw a problem. He brought in Reeves. Sullivan Refused to play Reeves.

Sullivan is the beginning,middle and end of the problem. He invites attacks on his players.

Lemieux demanded protection, Crosby, Letang and Malkin need to do the same.

While they can still walk and have some of their faculties.

Last edited:
This mentality is why hockey will never be more than a niche sport. Got to get rid of the old school Canadian mentality. When hockey is played the right way with skill, it is in my eyes the best sport in the world. But this mentality about rewarding this type of play just kills the sport. Bettman needs to go and all of the others in the league office.
When hockey is played the right way with skill,
Ah, piss on Eddie Shore....

Lemieux had protection. Why do you think JayCaulfield was around?

Rutherford saw a problem. He brought in Reeves. Sullivan Refused to play Reeves.

Sullivan is the beginning,middle and end of the problem. He invites attacks on his players.

Lemieux demanded protection, Crosby, Letang and Malkin need to do the same.

While they can still walk and have some of their faculties.
Jay Caulfield never stopped anyone from attacking Lemieux. But when Mario skated on a line with Kevin Stevens and Rick Tocchet, those two were bad mutherbleepers who would crush anyone.

Reactions: Chaos and HOF Coach
Jay Caulfield never stopped anyone from attacking Lemieux. But when Mario skated on a line with Kevin Stevens and Rick Tocchet, those two were bad mutherbleepers who would crush anyone.
The point is the same.

Agree Jay never won (or lost) a fight. He did present an imposing deterrent.

Bet if you put him out for a shift Friday, he would run Kreisler,the bread man or their goalie.

Just how didDeSmith get hurt?

There’s a significant history since Lemieux went ‘upstairs’ of different teams with different coaches constantly not using heretofore-reputed enforcer-type players in the role they excelled in before and after, and actually trying to count on them as functional players.

Probably most comical was Georges “Viva” Laroque who was put on a wing and expected to take actual shifts and actually contribute to them. A guy who likely never tried to use his stick as anything but a deadly weapon, both before and since. Derek England (sp?) was similarly expected to actually function as a competent D-man. And so forth. The common denominator there was (is) Mario. For whatever reason. Making a point to the league, maybe…at the expense of his players’ health.

There’s a significant history since Lemieux went ‘upstairs’ of different teams with different coaches constantly not using heretofore-reputed enforcer-type players in the role they excelled in before and after, and actually trying to count on them as functional players.

Probably most comical was Georges “Viva” Laroque who was put on a wing and expected to take actual shifts and actually contribute to them. A guy who likely never tried to use his stick as anything but a deadly weapon, both before and since. Derek England (sp?) was similarly expected to actually function as a competent D-man. And so forth. The common denominator there was (is) Mario. For whatever reason. Making a point to the league, maybe…at the expense of his players’ health.
Don’t buy this for a moment. These were the Penguin coaches. Forthe most part, they were extreme pacifists themselves.

Bowman and the French Canadians,the lone exceptions.

The Penguins have tried no enforcer, one enforcer (Paul Baxter), 2 enforcers (Durban’s and Kelly) but almost never stood up for themselves “as a team”, had that as their philosophy.

Maybe a couple of the Lemieux years, certainly under MarcBoileau. Boileau’s team had each other’s back.

If you say so.
Just healthy disagreement of the ultimate blame. But, we agree on the result…a Penguin should have had someone capable to destroy Trouba in the FIRST period after his initial mayhem. That’s “how the game is” and it’d be laughable if not so sad that Penguins stubbornly refuse to staff themselves accordingly.

Whoever to blame for that, it was woeful lapse that probably means the end of the season within a couple days at best, and worst case, the much earlier end of Crosby’s career. Mario, Sully, whoever, I hope they feel some guilt today.

Btw, I appreciate your posts on out mostly futile basketball “recruiting” efforts on the other board. Keep sticking in the craws of the Pitt administration apologists on the hoops site; it’s wryly funny how flabbergasted they are by your stuff. Heads needed to roll then, and now, for the laughingstock state of basketball. I’m glad someone cares like you do.

Reactions: gary2
Just healthy disagreement of the ultimate blame. But, we agree on the result…a Penguin should have had someone capable to destroy Trouba in the FIRST period after his initial mayhem. That’s “how the game is” and it’d be laughable if not so sad that Penguins stubbornly refuse to staff themselves accordingly.

Whoever to blame for that, it was woeful lapse that probably means the end of the season within a couple days at best, and worst case, the much earlier end of Crosby’s career. Mario, Sully, whoever, I hope they feel some guilt today.

Btw, I appreciate your posts on out mostly futile basketball “recruiting” efforts on the other board. Keep sticking in the craws of the Pitt administration apologists on the hoops site; it’s wryly funny how flabbergasted they are by your stuff. Heads needed to roll then, and now, for the laughingstock state of basketball. I’m glad someone cares like you do.
Thanks for both comments. Truly appreciate it.

Huh?

Funny how the guys that can handle the rough stuff ( Reaves, Gudbranson..) aren't good enough to play for " play the right way " Sullivan, but they are regulars for other good teams in the league.

Wanting 15 goal scorers on your fourth line might work in the regular season, but the league knows the Pens are soft. The playoffs are the time to take your shots and see what you can get away with. If you take out one of your opponents best players, even better. The league has already suspended a couple players for infractions, but lets the Pens get injured with flagrant cheap shots.

Time to find a head coach that won't tolerate seeing his players get decapitated without retribution. His Stanley Cup chops have expired. Hopefully they still send the Rangers packing, but will likely get eliminated shortly afterwards. The roster needs retooled to include a couple Matt Martins where they can find them. And a coach willing to play them.

Reactions: PittPoker and gary2
Funny how the guys that can handle the rough stuff ( Reaves, Gudbranson..) aren't good enough to play for " play the right way " Sullivan, but they are regulars for other good teams in the league.

Wanting 15 goal scorers on your fourth line might work in the regular season, but the league knows the Pens are soft. The playoffs are the time to take your shots and see what you can get away with. If you take out one of your opponents best players, even better. The league has already suspended a couple players for infractions, but lets the Pens get injured with flagrant cheap shots.

Time to find a head coach that won't tolerate seeing his players get decapitated without retribution. His Stanley Cup chops have expired. Hopefully they still send the Rangers packing, but will likely get eliminated shortly afterwards. The roster needs retooled to include a couple Matt Martins where they can find them. And a coach willing to play them.
Goons are not the answer. But big physical guys who can play and are tough are. Tom Wilson is such a unicorn because outside of maybe Reaves, Gudbranson and one or two others, he has absolutely zero deterrent. Back in the day, everyone had someone who would deal with him.

But...let's also be honest. How many PLAYOFF games did Jay Caulfield play? I don't remember many. And we had Ulf Samuelsson, who was his deterrent? Guys who play on the edge play on the edge. I contend that the bigger issues now are:
1) Players are bigger, stronger and faster leading into more impactful collisions.
2) Equipment is heavier stronger making elbow and shoulder pads weapons against the head.
3) We are much more mindful of concussions and their impact instead of the old fashioned shrug your shoulders "I got my bell rung".

Trouba has played with an edge. I would love to have him. I would love to have a Pen blueliner the same. Best revenge is to beat them tomorrow night.

Goons are not the answer. But big physical guys who can play and are tough are. Tom Wilson is such a unicorn because outside of maybe Reaves, Gudbranson and one or two others, he has absolutely zero deterrent. Back in the day, everyone had someone who would deal with him.

But...let's also be honest. How many PLAYOFF games did Jay Caulfield play? I don't remember many. And we had Ulf Samuelsson, who was his deterrent? Guys who play on the edge play on the edge. I contend that the bigger issues now are:
1) Players are bigger, stronger and faster leading into more impactful collisions.
2) Equipment is heavier stronger making elbow and shoulder pads weapons against the head.
3) We are much more mindful of concussions and their impact instead of the old fashioned shrug your shoulders "I got my bell rung".

Trouba has played with an edge. I would love to have him. I would love to have a Pen blueliner the same. Best revenge is to beat them tomorrow night.
Matt Martin is exactly what you described. Big, physical who can play a regular shift and is tough. Will he score 15 goals? No. But he will play a responsible tough brand of hockey and defend his teammates with purpose. Yes. Those are the type of players they need come playoff time, not necessarily goons.

Where they can get a couple players like that, I couldn't say. That is up to Burke.

The NHLPA needs to be the one leading this and they don't.

Because there are a lot more players like Trouba than Crosby. The NHLPA caters to the large portion of their membership who worries that if they take all the dirty play out of the game and make it a much more skilled game that they will no longer have a job.

Trouba needs clubbed over the head or a skate blade ‘accidentally’ across the throat. But I agree they are not equipped to do that as the roster currently exists, so the best they can do is try to win.

Because there are a lot more players like Trouba than Crosby. The NHLPA caters to the large portion of their membership who worries that if they take all the dirty play out of the game and make it a much more skilled game that they will no longer have a job.
Trouba was a top 10 pick. He is not some hanger on, curtain jerk minor leaguer.

Oh in that case, he should be exonerated from any discipline. He’s not a “hanger on.”So a filthy intentional play to injure, against one of the five best players of all time, is fine. 🙄

Which, of course, is preposterous. There should already be a hefty bounty on his head (literally) … he needs to pay. Pay dearly. But, that has to wait for next season, I’ll agree. They aren’t in the place to do it now.

Reminds me of when Sid got blasted by David Steckel of the Caps. It was his first serious head shot. First Steckel claimed he never saw Sid. Then he claimed he tried to let up on the hit. Then he claimed he never meant to hurt him.

What was his explanation on the elbow to the head of Guentzel five seconds into the opening shift. Did they ask him that?

Same story, different headhunter.

Last edited:
I don’t know what’d be worse for the Lightning, getting swept as the President Trophy winner or letting the Leafs, if all teams, be the ones to eliminate them. :oops:

He certainly doesn't suck, but he's not a top ten defenseman or anything like that. He's exactly the kind of guy that the NHLPA caters too, because he's part of the giant mass of decent players and not one of the top stars. There are about 50 Jacob Trouba's for every one Sidney Crosby.

I think the Pens are going to win game 6. With or without Crosby. I think that we're going to get big goals out of Malkin, Carter, Blueger etc. Grinder type work. Clamp down on the defensive end, timely goaltending, some luck and get inside the head of Shesterkin.

A win by the good guys would be very inspirational and just. Unfortunately revenue sports is far less often that way, as we’re seeing with the college nonsense right now. I actually fear this is the night it collapses for the Penguins.

Having seen this slasher movie way too many times, invariably in the game right after the game where atrocities occurred (that the league happily allowed), the league will be extra aggressive calling penalties in the next one—but they’ll be called on the Penguins, not the Rangers.

NY knows the Pens and the fans are furious and will easily bait some of the Pens hotheads into retaliations during scrums. Malkin and Letang especially. Lots of Rangers PP as a result. Domingue has been great but he is far more likely to be the one to break under this.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m expecting something like a 8-1 debacle in favor of NY.

The “Good” news is that rather perversely, having been so corrupt on Wed
and tonight, for a game 7 the league will largely be more even handed. Won’t that be nice?

What filth the NHL is.

A win by the good guys would be very inspirational and just. Unfortunately revenue sports is far less often that way, as we’re seeing with the college nonsense right now. I actually fear this is the night it collapses for the Penguins.

Having seen this slasher movie way too many times, invariably in the game right after the game where atrocities occurred (that the league happily allowed), the league will be extra aggressive calling penalties in the next one—but they’ll be called on the Penguins, not the Rangers.

NY knows the Pens and the fans are furious and will easily bait some of the Pens hotheads into retaliations during scrums. Malkin and Letang especially. Lots of Rangers PP as a result. Domingue has been great but he is far more likely to be the one to break under this.

I hope I’m wrong but I’m expecting something like a 8-1 debacle in favor of NY.

The “Good” news is that rather perversely, having been so corrupt on Wed
and tonight, for a game 7 the league will largely be more even handed. Won’t that be nice?

What filth the NHL is.
Nah. Pens going to get an early lead, and hang on for dear life. They'll win this game at home.

He certainly doesn't suck, but he's not a top ten defenseman or anything like that. He's exactly the kind of guy that the NHLPA caters too, because he's part of the giant mass of decent players and not one of the top stars. There are about 50 Jacob Trouba's for every one Sidney Crosby.
Yes agree

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT