ADVERTISEMENT

It's A Hockey Night In Pittsburgh !

He flew at hit head with an elbow -
No stick on fluke play

that no penalty was called and no suspension after the fact occurred - is why the nhl continues to be a fringe sport
We see in football on both college and NFL levels of hits to the head automatically draw penalties regardless of intent. And intentional are more severe, but at least penalty/fine is involved. We also see in basketball, flagrant fouls and reviews to any contact to the head, again whether accidental or not.

Why the NHL has not done this, when it's feature player over the last 15 years has been most impacted is beyond me? It is the ****ing Canadiens that run that league.

Reactions: CCHS82
Playoff hockey, in other words
And I won't be at work. So I can yell instructions to the players through the TV loud enough for them to hear me. They mostly respond when I preclude the instruction with "F'ing". "F'ing score F'ing hit that guy. F'ing shoot" F'ing...Yeah. F'ing F'ing Yeah!".

We see in football on both college and NFL levels of hits to the head automatically draw penalties regardless of intent. And intentional are more severe, but at least penalty/fine is involved. We also see in basketball, flagrant fouls and reviews to any contact to the head, again whether accidental or not.

Why the NHL has not done this, when it's feature player over the last 15 years has been most impacted is beyond me? It is the ****ing Canadiens that run that league.
Well, few Canadians have functioning brains. Simple explanation.

Nah. Pens going to get an early lead, and hang on for dear life. They'll win this game at home.
I think we lose because of Crosby being out. Domingue hasn't been good and Malkin is too hit or miss. I want us to win badly but I think the Pens will struggle tonight without Sid. Hope I'm wrong.

I think we lose because of Crosby being out. Domingue hasn't been good and Malkin is too hit or miss. I want us to win badly but I think the Pens will struggle tonight without Sid. Hope I'm wrong.
Malkin is 35. Carter is 37. Those are not ages where guys carry teams on their backs. Sid is 34, but he is otherworldly.

Pens in a tough spot but they'll play as hard as possible because they absolutely don't want a game 7 in NY.

I'm just not sure Louie is the guy to stop the Rangers onslaught, especially if they get on the PP.

Pens have to keep the Rangers out of their zone as much as possible and keep them on the edges to assist Domingue. They did this all through period 1 of last game, and most of period 2. After Crosby went out, they lost focus for a short period of time, and that was all it took.

They need to get up on the Rangers early and often if possible like the other two home wins. Can they do that without Crosby remains to be seen. The off lines will have to come up big like before, and if so, they have a good chance to close it out as long as Louie is even to the task.

Still sucks that the Rangers get away with taking good players out of this series.

So you would bench Malkin and Carter?
No of course not. Well maybe Carter, but they can't. But Carter definitely needs to be better and I wouldn't just automatically play him on the 2nd line. Geno really needs to somehow find his past self and give us that type of player with Crosby out. He has done that many times before, I am just worried that Father Time has now caused him to slow down.

Dom has been as good as anyone could have remotely expected…but I agree he has to be approaching the breaking point. One of these games will be the floodgates game with him, I fear, and I think chances are good it will be tonight as I mentioned earlier. I see the refs coming down on the Pen’s for daring to be unhappy about the Crosby takeout, and calling a bunch of spite penalties on the Pens, especially if someone dares push back on a Ranger cheap shot. The NHL is infamous for punishing the victim. And there’s simply limits to the adversity that a team trying to survive with a beer league goalie can cope with.

Trib said that Sid "took to the ice before the skate, working out with skating and skills development coach Ty Hennes".

Trying to figure out from this statement what Sid's injury could be. Really reaching here. Some questions, thoughts...

*If he had a "bad" concussion, would he be allowed to do any physical exertion at this early point in time or are they just testing to see if he gets sick from minimal work?
*My daughter had several concussions from BB and had to do basic coordination exercises with her body and with her eyes. However, these occurred many weeks after suffering the concussion.
*What's the chances that Sid may have broken his nose, cheekbone, or jaw? No concussion issues but still very fragile at this point. No contact.

Sorry for the conjecture. I 'm just throwing stuff out there for discussion. This guy was playing great hockey and it sucks to be missing seeing him work his magic.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Trib said that Sid "took to the ice before the skate, working out with skating and skills development coach Ty Hennes".

Trying to figure out from this statement what Sid's injury could be. Really reaching here. Some questions, thoughts...

*If he had a "bad" concussion, would he be allowed to do any physical exertion at this early point in time or are they just testing to see if he gets sick from minimal work?
*My daughter had several concussions from BB and had to do basic coordination exercises with her body and with her eyes. However, these occurred many weeks after suffering the concussion.
*What's the chances that Sid may have broken his nose, cheekbone, or jaw? No concussion issues but still very fragile at this point. No contact.

Sorry for the conjecture. I 'm just throwing stuff out there for discussion. This guy was playing great hockey and it sucks to be missing seeing him work his magic.

The US needs to take over the NHL! The goons running it are killing the sport! Penalties should be in line with other pro sports!

Reactions: CCHS82
- Crosby, Dumoulin, and Jarry are OUT for tonight's Game 6 ..... Domingue is in goal.

- Rakell is a game time decision but did not take line rushes today so seems unlikely that he will play.

- Forward lines in practice today ......
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Heinen-Rodrigues-Kapanen

Zucker-Carter-McGinn

Boyle-Blueger-O'Connor

- Defense lines in practice today ......
Matheson-Letang

Pettersson-Marino

Friedman-Ruhwedel

- Lines could change at game time.

Dom has been as good as anyone could have remotely expected…but I agree he has to be approaching the breaking point. One of these games will be the floodgates game with him, I fear, and I think chances are good it will be tonight as I mentioned earlier. I see the refs coming down on the Pen’s for daring to be unhappy about the Crosby takeout, and calling a bunch of spite penalties on the Pens, especially if someone dares push back on a Ranger cheap shot. The NHL is infamous for punishing the victim. And there’s simply limits to the adversity that a team trying to survive with a beer league goalie can cope with.
Actually I would hope the refs call some ticky tack penalties on the Rangers tonight to make up for Crosby getting hit in the head and being out. I think that might happen early tbh. And if so we need to capitalize.

Actually I would hope the refs call some ticky tack penalties on the Rangers tonight to make up for Crosby getting hit in the head and being out. I think that might happen early tbh. And if so we need to capitalize.
They SHOULD indeed do that but long experience has shown it doesn’t happen that way.

- Crosby, Dumoulin, and Jarry are OUT for tonight's Game 6 ..... Domingue is in goal.

- Rakell is a game time decision but did not take line rushes today so seems unlikely that he will play.

- Forward lines in practice today ......
Guentzel-Malkin-Rust

Heinen-Rodrigues-Kapanen

Zucker-Carter-McGinn

Boyle-Blueger-O'Connor

- Defense lines in practice today ......
Matheson-Letang

Pettersson-Marino

Friedman-Ruhwedel

- Lines could change at game time.
Let's just be clear, the bottom 3 lines now suck and if Malkin is the bad Malkin the first line isn't great now either. Losing Sid could really have huge consequences.

Let's just be clear, the bottom 3 lines now suck and if Malkin is the bad Malkin the first line isn't great now either. Losing Sid could really have huge consequences.
I’m overall not a Malkin guy for the past 5 years or so…but Malkin often has stepped up his play (in the right ways) at other times they’ve missed Crosby.

What ?
Are you Serious?
The 4th line is really good ,
Carter seems to be playing hurt because he’s been slow this series - but 3rd line is good .

2nd line has plenty of firepower , since Malkin hasn’t exactly been himself .

would be nice if we can slide rakell onto the 2nd line - move McGinn to the 4th - bump O’Connor

Then that’s about as good as you get without Crosby

What ?
Are you Serious?
The 4th line is really good ,
Carter seems to be playing hurt because he’s been slow this series - but 3rd line is good .

2nd line has plenty of firepower , since Malkin hasn’t exactly been himself .

would be nice if we can slide rakell onto the 2nd line - move McGinn to the 4th - bump O’Connor

Then that’s about as good as you get without Crosby
I think Geno has been fine this series. It would help if his wingers could put pucks on net.
I heard Rodriguez is sliding up to center the 2d line and, ya, seems Carter’s play is the reason. Might have a nagging injury.

Poker is only happy when he’s virtually slitting his wrist and posting about the blood .
His life is very tough
He seems likeable, in the way you give the beggar on Forbes your pocket change. You cannot question his dedication and loyalty. I think he wants us to win, but just cannot risk the hurt that happens if we don't.
Me, I'm positive to a fault. I'm already planning how I'm running naked around the neighborhood after the win today. It's cold and rainy. So I do I take an umbrella? Wind isn't bad so should be OK if I do.
And we have new neighbors to the back. Not sure how they'll react. Not sure I should rely on jumping their fence if being chased.

This is pretty simple actually. All that needs to happen is a decision to decide hits like this are unacceptable and they will be. I think it’s reasonable to believe that there was no deliberate attempt to injure here. In fact, I think that’s the case.

But think of football. They have decided that hits that cause injury are unacceptable whether deliberate or not. And slowly but surely, behavior on the field is adjusting accordingly.

In this case, if the NHL would ever decide differently on what is allowed, players would simply learn over time to keep their elbows down. It’s not the hard. It only takes a basic decision about what is allowed … a decision the NHL is unwilling to make.

Completely agree.

Reactions: USN_Panther
This is pretty simple actually. All that needs to happen is a decision to decide hits like this are unacceptable and they will be. I think it’s reasonable to believe that there was no deliberate attempt to injure here. In fact, I think that’s the case.

But think of football. They have decided that hits that cause injury are unacceptable whether deliberate or not. And slowly but surely, behavior on the field is adjusting accordingly.

In this case, if the NHL would ever decide differently on what is allowed, players would simply learn over time to keep their elbows down. It’s not the hard. It only takes a basic decision about what is allowed … a decision the NHL is unwilling to make.
Most of what you write is true, but there’s no question at all that Trouba was absolutely trying to injure Crosby. Why else do it? If merely trying to disrupt him, a basic shoulder to shoulder hit would suffice. Even a trip or a hold if needing to go that route. No, he went with the destructive blow to the head of a guy with globally known concussion problems.

The Rangers couldn’t defend him and his line, and were facing elimination, so they wanted him removed from the game. Did they want Crosby dead, or to end his career right there? Maybe not to that extreme … though another concussion certainly might have done either, so I’m not even sure he deserves that benefit of doubt.

They clearly aimed to injure him enough to have him removed from that game.

Same with the hits in the first period on the others. Of course he was aiming to injure them. He wasn’t able to defend them, or effectively attack that line, and getting rid of them was the way to reverse that. Sadly it worked, eventually.

Most of what you write is true, but there’s no question at all that Trouba was absolutely trying to injure Crosby. Why else do it? If merely trying to disrupt him, a basic shoulder to shoulder hit would suffice. Even a trip or a hold if needing to go that route. No, he went with the destructive blow to the head of a guy with globally known concussion problems.

The Rangers couldn’t defend him and his line, and were facing elimination, so they wanted him removed from the game. Did they want Crosby dead, or to end his career right there? Maybe not to that extreme … though another concussion certainly might have done either, so I’m not even sure he deserves that benefit of doubt.

They clearly aimed to injure him enough to have him removed from that game.

Same with the hits in the first period on the others. Of course he was aiming to injure them. He wasn’t able to defend them, or effectively attack that line, and getting rid of them was the way to reverse that. Sadly it worked.
I’m not suggesting what you are saying is untrue. But what he did is still basically within the rules. And those rules need to change.

He seems likeable, in the way you give the beggar on Forbes your pocket change. You cannot question his dedication and loyalty. I think he wants us to win, but just cannot risk the hurt that happens if we don't.
Me, I'm positive to a fault. I'm already planning how I'm running naked around the neighborhood after the win today. It's cold and rainy. So I do I take an umbrella? Wind isn't bad so should be OK if I do.
And we have new neighbors to the back. Not sure how they'll react. Not sure I should rely on jumping their fence if being chased.
He’s an emotional mess .
It’s friggin entertainment -
I want the teams I like to win- but having games outcomes affect your mood - is some arrested development crap

Example of exactly this is the Super Rugby last night. Head to head contact initiated by a defender. The ball carrier was out cold before he hit the turf. It looked accidental but avoidable. Red card issued on the field and that guy will be suspended. Probably get 3 games for that.

Highlanders were already way up. They punished the Force by scoring another try after the horn, and then had the loosehead prop kick the conversion as a final FU.

I’m not suggesting what you are saying is untrue. But what he did is still basically within the rules. And those rules need to change.
Well it’s a bit like recruiting tampering that is the other topic of interest here. As with the tampering with Addison prior to entering the portal, Elbowing to the head is NOT within the rules, but the officials conveniently (for the Rangers) chose not to enforce it, neither right then and there, nor afterward.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT