ADVERTISEMENT

It's Sunday Night

Panther_in_Kentucky

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2001
Coach Narduzzi has had time to review the game broadcast and the game tape. If he's smart, it is MANIFEST to him that if he had played Ben DiNucci at QB he most likely wouldn't have dug his team into a 14 - 0 deficit. In fact, it would have been a 1 score game late in the 4th Quarter and the pressure would have been on Dear 'Ole State and all their Branch Campus Dummies.

Wake up HCPN. You need to develop DiNucci this year so he's ready to go next year. If you recruit the next Dan Marino then he can beat DiNucci out, if he's ready to.

Unfair or Fixed Competitions are unhealthy for team and fan morale.

It's a shame Jurkovec is sold on ND. He would imo be starting by game 6 next year. If he enrolled early, he'd be starting game 1. He's that good.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
It's a shame Jurkovec is sold on ND. He would imo be starting by game 6 next year. If he enrolled early, he'd be starting game 1. He's that good.

Well, Let's deal in facts: He's not coming. ND is his dream school and last time I checked ND is starting a Freshman QB this year. So wish him well and let's move on. I have to respect Jurkovec. At least he wasn't stringing along Pitt. Ben DiNucci is the guy to be developed.

Reactions: pittdan77
Coach Narduzzi has had time to review the game broadcast and the game tape. If he's smart, it is MANIFEST to him that if he had played Ben DiNucci at QB he most likely wouldn't have dug his team into a 14 - 0 deficit. In fact, it would have been a 1 score game late in the 4th Quarter and the pressure would have been on Dear 'Ole State and all their Branch Campus Dummies.

Wake up HCPN. You need to develop DiNucci this year so he's ready to go next year. If you recruit the next Dan Marino then he can beat DiNucci out, if he's ready to.

In fact? Ummm...no. Mere speculation based on a very small DiNucci sample size.

Reactions: Jpripper88
Umm.. Yes. DiNucci should be getting at least 50% of the snaps. Browne sucked at USC and so far his weaknesses are showing themselves at Pitt.

You can opine all you wish. But it's just that. In relation to the score or what it could have been it's opinion and wild speculation. Nothing factual about it. At all. Not even" most likely". No way you or anyone can know that.

I agree that Browne hasn't been good for whatever it's worth. And it this rate we all may need to find out if DiNucci is better. But nobody has a clue what the game would have been had Browne gotten yanked or if DiNucci split time.

You can opine all you wish. But it's just that. In relation to the score or what it could have been it's opinion and wild speculation. Nothing factual about it. At all. Not even" most likely". No way you or anyone can know that.

I agree that Browne hasn't been good for whatever it's worth. And it this rate we all may need to find out if DiNucci is better. But nobody has a clue what the game would have been had Browne gotten yanked or if DiNucci split time.

The only reason PItt scored a TD was because Browne had to go out of the game. It was Obvious. If Narduzzi and Watson can't make that same determination we are in trouble.

The only reason PItt scored a TD was because Browne had to go out of the game. It was Obvious. If Narduzzi and Watson can't make that same determination we are in trouble.

Haha. Yea. Ok. Based off of ONE PLAY. After they got to the 2 yard line (started on own 25) with Browne at QB. Cause you also know they wouldn't have scored had Browne remained in the game.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Browne was inside the 5 on 3 other occasions and didn't get it done. Yea, I'm pretty sure.

You've got to be kidding me with this DiNucci stuff. What have you seen with him that he has any ability whatsoever to complete passes downfield? That's the problem with this team after 2 games, it's nice that he's mobile but nothing he's done has shown me he can throw worth a shit. If Pickett and MacVittie aren't any better than him we are in deep, deep trouble for the foreseeable future.

You've got to be kidding me with this DiNucci stuff. What have you seen with him that he has any ability whatsoever to complete passes downfield? That's the problem with this team after 2 games, it's nice that he's mobile but nothing he's done has shown me he can throw worth a shit. If Pickett and MacVittie aren't any better than him we are in deep, deep trouble for the foreseeable future.

That's what's killing me. These proclamations and "factual" statements when nobody could possibly know. Not to mention what little we have seen isn't impressive. It seems the kid has guts. And if Orndoff had pulled that ball in on the bowl game DiNucci could be somewhat of a folk hero. But the little we've seen hasn't been all that great and shouldn't have some people seemingly foaming at the mouth at the prospects of DiNucci coming to the rescue.

I think some of this is the good old "he can't be any worse" phenomenon. Same was said about CBs last year. Then Maddox (who has his faults) got hurt. Then we found out it could indeed be worse. In some cases, much worse.

I think some of this is the good old "he can't be any worse" phenomenon. Same was said about CBs last year. Then Maddox (who has his faults) got hurt. Then we found out it could indeed be worse. In some cases, much worse.

Bingo. I think the guys who's million + dollar a year job is on the line is more than capable of making the correct decision.

Now this year Dane Jackson has improved greatly and I'm going to credit the experience he gained last year for a lot of his improvement. Practice and games are very different, sometime all a player needs is an opportunity.

Reactions: RHS14

How can you make an evaluation of a player who hasn't started a game? A player who hasn't practiced as the starter, or been given any type of opportunity. He was tossed into the bowl game without getting a meaningful snap all year. Then, he gets tossed into the game late at PSU, when everyone knows they need to throw.

Browne is a deer in headlights that can't take his eyes of his target. Any pressure and the play is over. You think his teammates can't see this?

Bingo. I think the guys who's million + dollar a year job is on the line is more than capable of making the correct decision.

Sorry. I'm calling BS. Browne sucks and is totally immobile. He also is a 5th year senior and isn't going to help us at all next season. DiNucci is clearly the answer, especially given Pitt's run first attitude. Somebody beats him out next year great. He's so much better than Browne it's not even funny.

Hell, Pat White made Rich Rod and he was second team behind some Browne like QB Bednardik. U of L knock Bednardik out of the game up 21 points in the 2nd half and Pat White came in and beat them in overtime.

Is DiNucci going to be a pro qb? Hell no. But here's a little secret: Max Browne isn't either.

Play DiNucci and play him now.

How can you make an evaluation of a player who hasn't started a game? A player who hasn't practiced as the starter, or been given any type of opportunity. He was tossed into the bowl game without getting a meaningful snap all year. Then, he gets tossed into the game late at PSU, when everyone knows they need to throw.

Browne is a deer in headlights that can't take his eyes of his target. Any pressure and the play is over. You think his teammates can't see this?

Bingo. Your lest paragraph sums up the situation with Browne perfectly. TOS had a Pitt and USC grad and when it was announced that Browne was transferring to Pitt he c ame on and said "This is a mistake. Browne is a deer in the headlights".

Now this year Dane Jackson has improved greatly and I'm going to credit the experience he gained last year for a lot of his improvement. Practice and games are very different, sometime all a player needs is an opportunity.

Dane Jackson demonstrated he could play when Whitehead broke his arm against Clemson. He demonstrated athletic ability in that game. Browne wilts when the bright lights come on. We gave him a chance and he proved he's not up to it.

I've seen him throw 15 or so passes and he seems like he doesn't have a real good idea where the ball is going. I really doubt he's the answer moving forward.

Not sticking up for Browne, although he hasn't thrown that many more passes than DiNucci. My point is that if you sit Browne right now he's done, no sense going back to a guy who was a rental and won't be here next year. But if DiNucci can't throw (I don't think he can), then what do you do?

I'm sure they'd love to redshirt Pickett, and at this point I'd say it's apparent that the coaches don't see MacVittie as anywhere near ready. So I guess at that point you're stuck with DiNucci, better hope you don't fall down in games by 2 scores or else you're screwed.

I've seen him throw 15 or so passes and he seems like he doesn't have a real good idea where the ball is going. I really doubt he's the answer moving forward.

Not sticking up for Browne, although he hasn't thrown that many more passes than DiNucci. My point is that if you sit Browne right now he's done, no sense going back to a guy who was a rental and won't be here next year. But if DiNucci can't throw (I don't think he can), then what do you do?

I'm sure they'd love to redshirt Pickett, and at this point I'd say it's apparent that the coaches don't see MacVittie as anywhere near ready. So I guess at that point you're stuck with DiNucci, better hope you don't fall down in games by 2 scores or else you're screwed.

You mean like this past Saturday? ( Browne's terrible throws dug Pitt into a 14 point hole )

Pitt wants to run the ball first and foremost and throw to keep defenses honest. DiNucci adds another dimension of the QB running the ball. He can also throw the ball well 20 yards down the field. He can throw a few long balls a game to keep teams honest. But with the Jet Sweep, Shuttle Pass, Olison and QB Options Pitt can have an offense that can win 7 - 8 games and have a QB next year with some experience.

His teamates can see it. It's why Weah said the offense got a BIG spark when he came in. DiNucci will be getting PT against OkSt. Narduzzi doesn't do the quick yank, he slowly transitions the new guy in.

Can you explain the bold part? Not sure I understand what you're saying.

You're right, Browne has only thrown 56 passes as a Panther, but he's also practiced with the ones since spring. I think he's the classic looks great in practice, but can't do it in the game.

If Nooch isn't the answer after he gets a few starts, you start rolling Pickett in. And you should know if the kid has any potential after a few starts. You have nothing to lose.

We agree on Macvittie.

Dane Jackson demonstrated he could play when Whitehead broke his arm against Clemson. He demonstrated athletic ability in that game. Browne wilts when the bright lights come on. We gave him a chance and he proved he's not up to it.

I have to go with the fans that want to give DiNucci a chance. Browne has done nothing so far. Give DiNucci a chance, if he can't do the job, go back to Browne, or one of the other QBs.

I have to go with the fans that want to give DiNucci a chance. Browne has done nothing so far. Give DiNucci a chance, if he can't do the job, go back to Browne, or one of the other QBs.
It is much too early to give up on Browne.he is the best threat to get it downfield . However it is clear that the staff must incorporate dinuccis athletic ability into the game plan and use him on rollouts where his ability to make defenders miss can be utilized.this experience will be helpful moving forward as well for the next season where dinucci will battle with mac and Pickett. Also no matter who the qb is especially if it's Browne the o line needs to pass block much much better than they have in the first two games

Nobody can say for sure if Browne stays in we don't score from the 2 yard line. Don't give him so much credit for getting us there though either. After seeing our red zone failures all day can anyone really say they would've felt confident in Browne getting us a TD there?

I would do what they did with Voytik/Peterman. Start Browne and give DiNucci every third series or so. In addition, I'd pull Browne if we get a first and goal or at least have both QB's out there. Browne is just too slow in his decision making and release and with his feet to be effective in a short-field situation.

I'm just impressed you learned how to spell his name.

We've seen him try to throw the ball. There is also film from HS. Browne may not be any better. DiNucci may be a decent option, but we have seen DiNucci struggle to throw the ball downfield.

You mean like this past Saturday? ( Browne's terrible throws dug Pitt into a 14 point hole )

Pitt wants to run the ball first and foremost and throw to keep defenses honest. DiNucci adds another dimension of the QB running the ball. He can also throw the ball well 20 yards down the field. He can throw a few long balls a game to keep teams honest. But with the Jet Sweep, Shuttle Pass, Olison and QB Options Pitt can have an offense that can win 7 - 8 games and have a QB next year with some experience.
No. No. No, he can't. Hell, DiNucci's ball looks bad 7 yards downfield.

I'm convinced Browne was brought in to ride this season out and give Macvittie a shot at the position next summer.

I doubt DiNucci is the answer but if Browne is going to heave rainbows into traffic and stand still in the pocket, putting a more mobile QB on the field wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Here is that HS film you're talking about. I understand it is HS and not college. His problem is the tendency to throw of his back foot.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/3449972/ben-dinucci
His footwork is not very good, but his problem is he doesn't have a very strong arm. He throws a weak ball and lobs everything. He just does not have a very good arm and that would be extremely limiting, if Pitt counts on him as a starting QB.

I'm convinced Browne was brought in to ride this season out and give Macvittie a shot at the position next summer.

I doubt DiNucci is the answer but if Browne is going to heave rainbows into traffic and stand still in the pocket, putting a more mobile QB on the field wouldn't be a terrible idea.
For the time being I say we stay with Browne at QB. Try to pass only when we want to, not when we have to.

If we are going to pass, we need to get some receivers on the field. Henderson is not a receiver.

For the time being I say we stay with Browne at QB. Try to pass only when we want to, not when we have to.

If we are going to pass, we need to get some receivers on the field. Henderson is not a receiver.
And Weah is still really only a one trick pony, who will still drop the ball on that one trick sometimes.

His footwork is not very good, but his problem is he doesn't have a very strong arm. He throws a weak ball and lobs everything. He just does not have a very good arm and that would be extremely limiting, if Pitt counts on him as a starting QB.

I don't disagree, but I think he would still be better than Browne. I just think he fits this team better, and I think Browne is too limiting for what talent this offense has.They need a QB who can add with his legs and create some things, not a statue with a good arm.

Until he's given a real opportunity and fails, I won't write him off. That being said, no doubt in my mind that Duzz starts Browne against OSU. Hopefully he works Nooch into the gameplan in something other than mopup.

A little more on Henderson:

We need more out of Henderson than jet sweeps and I don't think we are going to get it as a receiver.

If he is up to it, I would not mind seeing him at QB in short yardage or even as a surprise changeup for a series when we enter the red zone. (be judicious in this use)

I would also like to see him line up as a wingback (ala PSU's Roger Kochman) and run the inside scissors play. I remember it as an extremely effective play against pursuit.

Agree, they need to play Matthews more.
I like Mathews. Henderson, Lopes and Ffrench are all on the small side.

I know Flowerrs is tall, but I don't know what kind of receiver Flowers is. (Speed, route runner, possession???)

We heard great things about M.Smith when we were recruiting him.

Butler and Street are supposed to be excellent route runners. Reports are Butler is the most advanced of the freshmen and could play this season. I would like to see it. I think a polished wide out that runs great routes would be extremely helpful.

I don't disagree, but I think he would still be better than Browne. I just think he fits this team better, and I think Browne is too limiting for what talent this offense has.They need a QB who can add with his legs and create some things, not a statue with a good arm.

Until he's given a real opportunity and fails, I won't write him off. That being said, no doubt in my mind that Duzz starts Browne against OSU. Hopefully he works Nooch into the gameplan in something other than mopup.
He could be slightly better than Browne, but I don't think he has a future as a D1 starting QB, so there is no argument to be made to "get him reps" IMO. You can certainly play him if you think he is your best option now, but longterm, his arm isn't going to magically be able to throw.

And we desperately need legitimate talent at WR. It is still funny to me people claimed that as a strength this year. We have a guy who can run deep routes and catch the ball some of those times and a guy who can pretty much only take jet sweeps. The rest of the corps is pedestrian, at best.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT