ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts

Oct 25, 2021
1) Noah Hiles is a slimy little turd. If Pitt can't outright ban him from certain facilities, Pat Narduzzi needs to hit him with "next question" every time he opens his little pie hole.

2) In true grimy media fashion, they don't care if a quote was accurate; but the front page of ESPN (which this has made) will gladly tell you about the players' reactions in an effort to stir the shit. Media in this country is a huge problem. They creative the narrative. I won't shed a tear when they're eventually turned on and given the overthrown tyrant treatment. They're nothing but bullies and cancers disguised as white knights. Even the average local news broadcast makes me cringe, and it's shocking that so many people aren't able to see through that.

3) I personally didn't think this Narduzzi quote was that bad. Just jumbling multiple thoughts like he always does. But he truly is an idiot who can't help himself. He's talked smack on both offensive coordinators who have had success here. Deion Sanders, who already has a better program than Pitt his first year on the job. James Franklin, who is 3-1 against Pitt and consistently destroys them on and off the field. The entire BIG, which is 6-1 against Pitt. Kedon Slovis, who sucks but not nearly as bad as the guys you have now. I mean, when does it end? You're a clown. Every opposing fan base can't stand this dude, and half of ours doesn't like him. When you act like this all the time, people are going to pile on when you fail.

4) If this leads to mass transfers and decommits, we're done. I'm not talking about Jason Collier transferring... see ya; go play for Geneva. But, contrary to belief, there is some talent on this team. It will probably take a few years to build back up, but there is some combination of talent and hope. Guys like Okunlola, Neal, Camon, Whittington, Brewu, Edwards, Lovelace, Bass, Louis, Johnson, Baer, Williams, Goff, Holmes, Willis, Lindsey, Anderson, etc. Gonna have to wait until they're like 2/3/4 years into the program, but that's the formula. But if you start losing them, forget about it.

5) Borbely, Cignetti, and Powell... thank you for your time at Pitt.

6) Veilleux doesn't have that it factor at all. He can compete for the starting position next season, but I'm sure as hell not handing him the keys. This is his third year in college football, not his first. He has shown no moxie, no ability to read a difference or understand situational football, and poor accuracy at times.

7) It's hard to be this bad in college football. There are so many bad teams that are 5-2 or 5-3 or 4-4. Please don't tell me we've played a difficult schedule, because we haven't. Doesn't mean every single player on the field sucks, but it goes to show you these are fickle dudes who will play up or down to the overall vibe.

But I remember how we used to see videos of how hard guys like Twyman and Kancey were working. Saw one with Hallett, too. I'm talking about stuff above and beyond mandatory practice. I wonder if we have any of those guys on our team now.

8) No matter what happens, there's a good chance we're very bad next season. That d-line is getting pushed back now; I can't imagine what will happen when Danielson, Green, Bentley, and possibly Jules move on. Which isn't to say they're great players at all... but the guys behind them don't seem to be carving into their playing time much. As I've said, I think we have some young talent there, but I don't think it'll be ready to go as soon as next year. Then you look at cornerback... *gulp*.

1) Noah Hiles is a slimy little turd. If Pitt can't outright ban him from certain facilities, Pat Narduzzi needs to hit him with "next question" every time he opens his little pie hole.

2) In true grimy media fashion, they don't care if a quote was accurate; but the front page of ESPN (which this has made) will gladly tell you about the players' reactions in an effort to stir the shit. Media in this country is a huge problem. They creative the narrative. I won't shed a tear when they're eventually turned on and given the overthrown tyrant treatment. They're nothing but bullies and cancers disguised as white knights. Even the average local news broadcast makes me cringe, and it's shocking that so many people aren't able to see through that.

3) I personally didn't think this Narduzzi quote was that bad. Just jumbling multiple thoughts like he always does. But he truly is an idiot who can't help himself. He's talked smack on both offensive coordinators who have had success here. Deion Sanders, who already has a better program than Pitt his first year on the job. James Franklin, who is 3-1 against Pitt and consistently destroys them on and off the field. The entire BIG, which is 6-1 against Pitt. Kedon Slovis, who sucks but not nearly as bad as the guys you have now. I mean, when does it end? You're a clown. Every opposing fan base can't stand this dude, and half of ours doesn't like him. When you act like this all the time, people are going to pile on when you fail.

4) If this leads to mass transfers and decommits, we're done. I'm not talking about Jason Collier transferring... see ya; go play for Geneva. But, contrary to belief, there is some talent on this team. It will probably take a few years to build back up, but there is some combination of talent and hope. Guys like Okunlola, Neal, Camon, Whittington, Brewu, Edwards, Lovelace, Bass, Louis, Johnson, Baer, Williams, Goff, Holmes, Willis, Lindsey, Anderson, etc. Gonna have to wait until they're like 2/3/4 years into the program, but that's the formula. But if you start losing them, forget about it.

6) Veilleux doesn't have that it factor at all. He can compete for the starting position next season, but I'm sure as hell not handing him the keys. This is his third year in college football, not his first. He has shown no moxie, no ability to read a difference or understand situational football, and poor accuracy at times.

7) It's hard to be this bad in college football. There are so many bad teams that are 5-2 or 5-3 or 4-4. Please don't tell me we've played a difficult schedule, because we haven't. Doesn't mean every single player on the field sucks, but it goes to show you these are fickle dudes who will play up or down to the overall vibe.

But I remember how we used to see videos of how hard guys like Twyman and Kancey were working. Saw one with Hallett, too. I'm talking about stuff above and beyond mandatory practice. I wonder if we have any of those guys on our team now.

8) No matter what happens, there's a good chance we're very bad next season. That d-line is getting pushed back now; I can't imagine what will happen when Danielson, Green, Bentley, and possibly Jules move on. Which isn't to say they're great players at all... but the guys behind them don't seem to be carving into their playing time much. As I've said, I think we have some young talent there, but I don't think it'll be ready to go as soon as next year. Then you look at cornerback... *gulp*.

Cincinnati has 1 FBS win (Pitt). Wake had me playing QB. 2 horrible losses right there. WVU had some bum who was at his prom 3 months ago playing QB.

On the media, they tell half-truths. They don't outright lie but they report the parts of the story which are the juiciest. The next POTUS has said he will go full-on authoritarian and ban opposition media like Orban in Hungary. As for Hiles, he is a young guy trying too hard to make a name for himself. Pitt sucks. Narduzzi sucks. I dont care what he says bad about Pitt. It can only help as Duzz needs to go.

Mass transfers - who cares - we are done either way. This is Majors 2. This is almost a "death penalty" situation. A Stallings situation. We have no talent. Those young guys you mention are no better than any portal guy we bring in. We will have mass transfers and I am hoping so. 3-9 next year then a new coach and hopefully a new AD

Reactions: sonofabit
College football has created this model of reliance on total overhauls of their players via the transfer portal. Pitt won’t be alone in using this tactic to find nearly all its starters. Prep recruiting (of anything close to quality players) is a dead avenue for the middle to bottom dwelling programs.

Old school geezer fans (like me) have see it as incredibly distasteful to kick out players en masse and overturn rosters in near entirety … but that is what the sport has become. Prime has “ shown the way”. 🤮

The only bright side to it is a situation just like this one, when nearly the entire roster of a team inexplicably stinks, when the three star prep guys all turned out to be duds. And the only hope is to overhaul it completely. Like the Pitt basketball team last season, maybe the random combination of assorted scrubs and castoffs will miraculously work better that THIS collection of scrubs and castoffs.

That’s the wonderful place the sport is now…

Cincinnati has 1 FBS win (Pitt). Wake had me playing QB. 2 horrible losses right there. WVU had some bum who was at his prom 3 months ago playing QB.

On the media, they tell half-truths. They don't outright lie but they report the parts of the story which are the juiciest. The next POTUS has said he will go full-on authoritarian and ban opposition media like Orban in Hungary. As for Hiles, he is a young guy trying too hard to make a name for himself. Pitt sucks. Narduzzi sucks. I dont care what he says bad about Pitt. It can only help as Duzz needs to go.

Mass transfers - who cares - we are done either way. This is Majors 2. This is almost a "death penalty" situation. A Stallings situation. We have no talent. Those young guys you mention are no better than any portal guy we bring in. We will have mass transfers and I am hoping so. 3-9 next year then a new coach and hopefully a new AD

Ugh, more splitting. I'm willing to guarantee you also wanted 95% of the team gone after the blowout losses in 2020... including many of the players who helped us win the conference in 2021. Campbell, Bright, Petrishen, Minor, Mack, Camp, etc.... you need some guys like that to win. The problem is you need special players to go along with the solid college football players. We're lacking in special talent. Or we have some of it and it's just too young.

I would say we have about 15 starters who are "good." We're lacking the handful or some of game changers that it takes to win. A mass exodus would absolutely not be a good thing.

The quote was pretty accurate. Sorry. Duzz tossed kids under the bus. The response from the players tells you all you need to know on how they believed what was said. If they didn’t think that was his direct quote they certainly were not surprised that he would say something like that. It’s like someone telling your wife you called her fat. When she confronted you, then you said I actually just said that you don’t weigh the same as when we got married.

The quote was pretty accurate. Sorry. Duzz tossed kids under the bus. The response from the players tells you all you need to know on how they believed what was said. If they didn’t think that was his direct quote they certainly were not surprised that he would say something like that. It’s like someone telling your wife you called her fat. When she confronted you, then you said I actually just said that you don’t weigh the same as when we got married.

The response from the players tells me they read a doctored quote and got mad.

Had the original quote been correct, it probably wouldn't have blown up as it did.

Ugh, more splitting. I'm willing to guarantee you also wanted 95% of the team gone after the blowout losses in 2020... including many of the players who helped us win the conference in 2021. Campbell, Bright, Petrishen, Minor, Mack, Camp, etc.... you need some guys like that to win. The problem is you need special players to go along with the solid college football players. We're lacking in special talent. Or we have some of it and it's just too young.

I would say we have about 15 starters who are "good." We're lacking the handful or some of game changers that it takes to win. A mass exodus would absolutely not be a good thing.

15 starters who are "good?" Bro, we are historically bad. How is that possible that we have 15 good starters? Do you know how many Bub Means and Solomon DeShields are in the portal? There's and endless supply.

Reactions: Farnox
Had the original quote been correct, it probably wouldn't have blown up as it did.

Even the full, original quote is still a variation on "my players suck." I'm not sure why the players would feel better about "my players suck and it's my fault for not bringing in better players than them" than what was originally reported. In either case he's telling his players that they suck.

Even the full, original quote is still a variation on "my players suck." I'm not sure why the players would feel better about "my players suck and it's my fault for not bringing in better players than them" than what was originally reported. In either case he's telling his players that they suck.

And they do suck. This is a good strategy, actually since it incents players to get in the portal. We need all these dudes gone. These are Akron players wearing Pitt uniforms

Reactions: sonofabit

Other than not making it word for word exact, what was so inaccurate about Hiles quote?

And normally I’d just shrug off stuff like that in post game interviews but in this case I’d say there’s something telling in the numerous player replies

If Narduzzi had specifically tailored his remarks to the portal (replacing players) would that have made a difference to you?

1 - i (Narduzzi) did not add enough from the portal. i will not make that mistake again.

2 - I (Narduzzi) have made mistakes in how to handle the portal. I will fix that.

Pitt portal adds this year:

Jurkovec,Vielleux, Davis, Renyolds, Epps, Brown

T.Hill, Mcmillon

That didn't get it done.

15 starters who are "good?" Bro, we are historically bad. How is that possible that we have 15 good starters? Do you know how many Bub Means and Solomon DeShields are in the portal? There's and endless supply.

I don't understand why everything has to be retarded extremes. Again, this happened TWICE in 2020 and we won the conference the next season. We're about 5-3 with a decent quarterback. We're not a good team; we're about what 40 other teams are, except this QB situation is exceptionally awful.

Good players in the two-deep:

Hammond, Bartholomew, Means, Mumpfield, Goncalves, Jules, Hayes, Kamara, DeShields, Danielson, Green, Bentley, Devonshire, M. Williams... I think McMillon, McIntye, and O'Brien. Although McIntyre has been awful lately.

Young guys who are playing regularly and I'm sure will be just fine at a minimum:

Bass, Louis, Lovelace, Johnson, Baer, Okunlola, B. Williams

That doesn't mean there isn't dead weight on the roster. QB and some OL spots not being the least of which, which has tainted the whole offense. But you're seeing the effects guys like Kancey, Izzy, etc. had on games. Lots of teams have solid players all over the place. We're lacking in special talent this year. Doesn't make every single player bad, and it doesn't mean the whole thing needs blown up.

If you actually watch the game... we got way more outplayed against Clemson in 2020 than we did yesterday. That was physical domination. Yesterday was a game we should have lost by about 20 that snowballed out of control.

Should we hit the portal harder this offseason than we normally do? Absolutely. No point in bringing guys like Temple, Brima, Collier, Donald, Johnson, Ford, Copeland, Nwabuko, Mitchell, Renda, Henningham, Davis, and plenty other back. But you need to watch more college football if you think teams succeed only when every player on their team is a stud. We have plenty of guys who are just good; and that isn't enough.

Correct

I didn't see or hear the quote or the reporting of it, but I have seen the games this year. Can't tackle, can't run the ball, can't pass the ball, can't defend and can't punt, other than that they...... Who's fault is this.

I don't understand why everything has to be retarded extremes. Again, this happened TWICE in 2020 and we won the conference the next season. We're about 5-3 with a decent quarterback. We're not a good team; we're about what 40 other teams are, except this QB situation is exceptionally awful.

Hammond, Bartholomew, Means, Mumpfield, Goncalves, Jules, Hayes, Kamara, DeShields, Danielson, Green, Bentley, Devonshire, M. Williams... I think McMillon, McIntye, and O'Brien. Although McIntyre has been awful lately.

Young guys who are playing regularly and I'm sure will be just fine at a minimum:

Bass, Louis, Lovelace, Johnson, Baer, Okunlola, B. Williams

That doesn't mean there isn't dead weight on the roster. QB and some OL spots not being the least of which, which has tainted the whole offense. But you're seeing the effects guys like Kancey, Izzy, etc. had on games. Lots of teams have solid players all over the place. We're lacking in special talent this year. Doesn't make every single player bad, and it doesn't mean the whole thing needs blown up.

If you actually watch the game... we got way more outplayed against Clemson in 2020 than we did yesterday. That was physical domination. Yesterday was a game we should have lost by about 20 that snowballed out of control.

Should we hit the portal harder this offseason than we normally do? Absolutely. No point in bringing guys like Temple, Brima, Collier, Donald, Johnson, Ford, Copeland, Nwabuko, Mitchell, Renda, Henningham, Davis, and plenty other back. But you need to watch more college football if you think teams succeed only when every player on their team is a stud. We have plenty of guys who are just good; and that isn't enough.

We went 6-5 in 2020 and the loss to ND was vs a CFP team. This aint 2020. In 2020, I could see a good future. Right now, this looks almost exactly like Majors 2

Reactions: KennyHeisman8

How many of those guys will play a game in the NFL? You need NFL talent to win.

We went 6-5 in 2020 and the loss to ND was vs a CFP team. This aint 2020. In 2020, I could see a good future. Right now, this looks almost exactly like Majors 2

The future is just a few years away, because we patched too many holes with journeymen. That 2022 class being so small, for instance, was an issue.

Reactions: TD_6082

Speaking of the response from the players, the other thing I take issue with is the fact that Hiles un-reposted the players’ comments to the quote.

I had no problem with him doing so from the beginning because that is a significant part of the story. However, him retracting those tells me that he was only doing it to “attention farm” and is now backtracking due to the response he received about his original misquote.

How many of those guys will play a game in the NFL? You need NFL talent to win.

That's my point. They're solid/good complementary pieces. The guys like Kancey and Dennis around them make everyone look better. That's what we are missing. It doesn't mean that everyone else sucks, though. It means we're lacking special players.

And if you think we're going to find those special players in the portal, you're a f*cking moron. Maybe one out of every 12 or so. There is a much better chance of guys like Bass, Neal, Okunlola, Whittington, Brewu, Baer, etc. developing into those players.

So anyone who wants to run the whole team off is a dumbass.

You mentioned DeShields. If he transfers, wanna bet on where he ends up? You seem to think it would be James Madison or something. And I'm willing to bet it would be a school that is better than or equal to Pitt. That's unless he would just go back home, which is also a possibility (although Rutgers is better than Pitt at the moment).

Did Cam Bright suck? He was a non NFL guy on the 2020 team that got blown out twice. Weird, though... because he was also a captain on a good Washington team last season.

Last edited:
In normal times, Noah Hiles would be writing about high school baseball games at his age. But the PG writers are on strike, so any writer with integrity won't work for them. They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find a scab. Hiles is repulsive, and way under qualified for his current role.

That out of the way, Narduzzis full quote is still terrible, and he's lost the locker room. Pitt football is DEAD.

Yeah, I don’t understand the “full quote” argument.

“these players suck. But it all starts with me.”

That’s just not something you say as a coach. I don’t care how true it might be.

That's my point. They're solid/good complementary pieces. The guys like Kancey and Dennis around them make everyone look better. That's what we are missing. It doesn't mean that everyone else sucks, though. It means we're lacking special players.

And if you think we're going to find those special players in the portal, you're a f*cking moron. Maybe one out of every 12 or so. There is a much better chance of guys like Bass, Neal, Okunlola, Whittington, Brewu, Baer, etc. developing into those players.

So anyone who wants to run the whole team off is a dumbass.

You mentioned DeShields. If he transfers, wanna bet on where he ends up? You seem to think it would be James Madison or something. And I'm willing to bet it would be a school that is better than or equal to Pitt. That's unless he would just go back home, which is also a possibility (although Rutgers is better than Pitt at the moment).

Did Cam Bright suck? He was a non NFL guy on the 2020 team that got blown out twice. Weird, though... because he was also a captain on a good Washington team last season.

Unless you’re a top tier recruiting power, the portal is where you go to get college bodied JAGs so the rest of the roster doesn’t stop guys like Kancey from leading you to a special season.

It’s not where you go for Kancey. He’s just not going to be there for Pitt.

Unless you’re a top tier recruiting power, the portal is where you go to get college player JAGs so the rest of the roster doesn’t stop guys like Kancey from leading you to a special season.

It’s not where you go for Kancey. He’s just not going to be there for Pitt.

I think there are too many basketball fans on the football board or something. You don't just overhaul 30 players and expect to succeed unless there are at least a few asterisks. Like, sure... 1-11 Colorado was able to turn themselves into a .500 team through the portal. Whoooo!

It astounds me that people bitch about guys like Hammond and Bartholomew and, yet, somehow think we're going to do better than that in the portal. For Pitt, the portal is a piece of chewed gum you can stick on a leaking pipe.

So you think the players would just react to anything said about their coach? Or is it possible when they saw the quote they collectively said that’s not that surprising. And if they did see the full quote they probably would have reacted the same way they did.

So you think the players would just react to anything said about their coach? Or is it possible when they saw the quote they collectively said that’s not that surprising. And if they did see the full quote they probably would have reacted the same way they did.

In my opinion, the actual quote can be interpreted as sloppy wording that means the coaches haven't done a good enough job making the new guys into the players they need to be. There's at least some doubt. It sounds more like he is talking about replacing their production. Hiles' version removes those interpretations. In either instance, it's been blown way out of proportion.

And I say this as someone who wouldn't mind if we parted ways with Narduzzi today if it were an option. He's big time overrated by a lot of Pitt fans. But lots of people - players and fans alike - are really overdoing it when it comes to trying to find something to redirect their anger at. Is the world this soft?

Reactions: Upg bobcat
In my opinion, the actual quote can be interpreted as sloppy wording that means the coaches haven't done a good enough job making the new guys into the players they need to be. There's at least some doubt. It sounds more like he is talking about replacing their production. Hiles' version removes those interpretations. In either instance, it's been blown way out of proportion.

And I say this as someone who wouldn't mind if we parted ways with Narduzzi today if it were an option. He's big time overrated by a lot of Pitt fans. But lots of people - players and fans alike - are really overdoing it when it comes to trying to find something to redirect their anger at. Is the world this soft?
I wanted to believe it didn’t sound as bad as he first tweeted. But, for me, the more damning stuff was said beforehand. If you have a close game you might say something about a play or two that didn’t go your way that may have cost you the game. But I doubt even that. But Narduzzi went on a litany of specific plays that, sure they were bad. But, my God, specific plays didn’t cause this @$$ kicking. If you are a coach you say “We got an old fashioned butt whooping. Kudos t Notre Dame. This loss is entirely on me and I have t figure a lot out.” But he didn’t and his players knew and so they responded in kind.

It has astonished me this year how he has called out some players and given other passes for their crap performances.

It's in a context where one might take it to mean that the coaching staff hasn't done a good job making these guys into the players they lost. Hiles succeeded in taking it out of context just enough to make a story out of it.
Take the words “replace” and “today” out of the full quote and you maybe could stretch it enough to take that position.

But those words are in the quote, and not by innocent misstatement. what he very obviously meant was what he clearly said: we had good players last year, we thought we had good enough ones this year but we were wrong, and put TODAY’s debacle on me, I needed to coach better TODAY.

But when Sanders said after the Oregon game "Get me now, because this is as bad as we're ever going to be," that's just Deion being silly?

And when he says he's bringing his own luggage and it's LV, that's just Deoin being frank?

Yeah, I don’t understand the “full quote” argument.

“these players suck. But it all starts with me.”

That’s just not something you say as a coach. I don’t care how true it might be.
That’s what most people seem to miss. Whether the statement is true or not is immaterial, the big problem is he was dumb enough to say it out loud.

And they do suck. This is a good strategy, actually since it incents players to get in the portal. We need all these dudes gone. These are Akron players wearing Pitt uniforms
Please stop with your Majors 2 talent BS already and go to the wvcc board. Much of the demise of our program comes from hiring/retaining incompetent coaches, a HC that is an egotistical maniac and the lack of development of players. There's enough talent here this year to be at least 6-6. Nothings impossible with a buyout of PN. I know there's alot of frustration but the injuries to our OL was fatal.
Last time I checked our recruiting class from rivals is still ranked 31. Going to be very interesting but still ❤️ The Panthers!!!! H2P

But when Sanders said after the Oregon game "Get me now, because this is as bad as we're ever going to be," that's just Deion being silly?

And when he says he's bringing his own luggage and it's LV, that's just Deoin being frank?
In a way it did turn out to be a silly statement, as it’s pretty much continued to get worse for them even after the Oregon game.

I think there are too many basketball fans on the football board or something. You don't just overhaul 30 players and expect to succeed unless there are at least a few asterisks. Like, sure... 1-11 Colorado was able to turn themselves into a .500 team through the portal. Whoooo!

It astounds me that people bitch about guys like Hammond and Bartholomew and, yet, somehow think we're going to do better than that in the portal. For Pitt, the portal is a piece of chewed gum you can stick on a leaking pipe.

Yeah, the notion that if we lose the 30 best players off this roster that we'll just go on the portal and replace them with 30 better players is one of the dumbest ideas that SMF has ever posted here.

And man, that's saying a lot.

That’s what most people seem to miss. Whether the statement is true or not is immaterial, the big problem is he was dumb enough to say it out loud.

Yes. Exactly.

A coach can THINK something like that. A coach has to be a complete moron to SAY something like that to the media.

Reactions: gary2

Why are we talking about Prime and UC? I’m talking about Nardummy and Pitt.

But since you brought it up, what do you think the difference is between Prime’s quote about bringing his Louis, and Duzz’s quote yesterday? You’re a solid wordsmith and a big context guy, so this one should be a layup for you.

Yes. Exactly.

A coach can THINK something like that. A coach has to be a complete moron to SAY something like that to the media.
For sure. What Duzz said is 100% true and the kind of thing that might be said in a coaches-only closed door staff meeting. It doesn’t even need to be said it’s so obvious.

It’s also 100% taboo for a head coach to make that statement publicly about his own team/players. Only a complete moron would ever go there. And that complete moron went there.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
For sure. What Duzz said is 100% true and the kind of thing that might be said in a coaches-only closed door staff meeting. It doesn’t even need to be said it’s so obvious.

It’s also 100% taboo for a head coach to make that statement publicly about his own team/players. Only a complete moron would ever go there. And that complete moron went there.
Especially when ya lose by 50

This. It be resolved today when Narduzzi gets in front of the team and says something like:

"You guys know I'm a dumbass with the press. Here's what I was trying to say."

How many times have you read about a player saying "That's just Coach Duzzi." The whole story will be nothing after today except the haters here who will continue to use it to bash him.

Reactions: gary2 and Farnox
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT