ADVERTISEMENT

Jahvon Quinerly update

So you think Capel has the wrong approach, right? So call him up and set him strait.

I think the specific phrase “trust the process” has been forever linked to the Sixers. And it was a process in which the team purposefully lost to secure the highest draft pick possible. It has no use when talking about a college team.

so hes committing to bama and visiting pitt tomorrow...

Might have told Oats he's coming but has to make the courtesy visit to Capel since they have a long-standing relationship. Relationships don't matter when recruiting vs the SEC. Just met Oats: bang, committed, maybe.

Might have told Oats he's coming but has to make the courtesy visit to Capel since they have a long-standing relationship. Relationships don't matter when recruiting vs the SEC. Just met Oats: bang, committed, maybe.
Did you ever think maybe the kid doesn’t want to play in Alabama ?

Trey committed to Pitt without ever visiting. So they don’t matter in the ACC either.

Trey committed to Pitt without ever visiting. So they don’t matter in the ACC either.

Personally, I think "relationships" are overrated in today's recruiting game. I think Pitt fans are holding out all this hope that Capel is going to have a great 2020 class because of relationships he has been cultivating....and he may but I don't think that "relationships" would be the primary reason. Today's recruit is so different. I mean sure, you have that Coleman kid make a decision of lunacy to attend ECU instead of Duke due to the relationship but I think guys like that are few and far between.

I think the specific phrase “trust the process” has been forever linked to the Sixers. And it was a process in which the team purposefully lost to secure the highest draft pick possible. It has no use when talking about a college team.
Different team. Different process.

Well, I predicted Arkansas so yea but these kids don't care where they play. If the coach is cool enough and runs a fun system, they'll go play in Baghdad.
I agree to a point, but sitting out a yr might make you want to be somewhere you might like to be for awhile .

You don't beat the SEC in basketball recruiting. Nate Oats is a BEAST. Will have Bama as a Top 3 NCAAT seed within 4 years. Take that to the bank.

I’d probably take you up on that. Agree that Oats is a good recruiter, but dont think he’s nearly as good a coach as you think he is.

Not saying they won’t make any tournaments, but I doubt the program will ascend to the level you expect.

No doubt Quinerly would be nice to get. However, since he would have to sit a year he would equate to a 2020 class recruit and we need bigs more immediately than we need another point guard who can't play until the season after next.

So, IMHO, if he transfers from Nova to somewhere else--it is certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

Did he want to go to Duke but Duke took Tre Jones? Remember that tweet about Nova being his 2nd choice? I guess Capel was recruiting him to Duke so maybe they have a close relationship?
His first choice was Arizona. He decommitted from them when he (or, someone in his family) was implicated in the Adidas debacle.

No doubt Quinerly would be nice to get. However, since he would have to sit a year he would equate to a 2020 class recruit and we need bigs more immediately than we need another point guard who can't play until the season after next.

So, IMHO, if he transfers from Nova to somewhere else--it is certainly nothing to lose sleep over.

Well, we need a PG to replace Johnson in 20-21 and we won't do better than a McDonald's All-American.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Well, we need a PG to replace Johnson in 20-21 and we won't do better than a McDonald's All-American.

Agreed yeah. Do you think this will somewhat affect a '20 PG recruit a la RJ Davis, Curbelo or whomever? Would hope not, as Capel needs to add the best players available and RJ Davis is steadily rising.

there were times we ran 4 guard sets last year, i highly doubt it affects anyone, if we loose Johnson after this year they need more depth

Reactions: Elsalvador

We might. Landing a Johnson "clone" isn't out of the question. Also, Johnson might be back in 2020-21 if NBA people tell him he isn't yet ready to be drafted and make money. We just really don't know anything more than that he said he wants to go pro after year two. Wanting and being able to from a practical standpoint are two different things entirely.

In any event, I am always suspicious of guys like Quinerly who have a history of flakey decision making (i.e, Arizona 1st choice out of HS, then Nova on the rebound due to AZ scandal, then dissatisfied by sitting at NOVA and looking to transfer). Given his bench time at Nova he might have been way over-rated as a 5-star out of HS. Overall, he looks like an immature prima donna who could prove more trouble than he is worth.

So, as I said before, I will not be concerned if he commits elsewhere.

Agreed yeah. Do you think this will somewhat affect a '20 PG recruit a la RJ Davis, Curbelo or whomever? Would hope not, as Capel needs to add the best players available and RJ Davis is steadily rising.
A few thoughts: Quinerly is probably going to look to go somewhere where he can play one year running the point and showing what he can do so that he can go get drafted. Alabama and Pitt are both selling him on that opportunity in 2020-2021 after Kira Lewis and X presumably declare.

I don’t think RJ Davis, for example, is going to be looking for the same kind of one and done opportunity as a true freshman; keep in mind, he’s playing off the ball a good bit now in the EYBL and showing off his shotmaking in that area. And, if Davis’ Twitter is any indication, he considers himself part of the jelly fam crew up in NYC, so having the original jelly fam kid in Quinerly on the roster might actually be an attraction.

I also think Quinerly is a better player in the 2020-21 season than Davis would be, so if I’m picking one it’d be JQ.

We might. Landing a Johnson "clone" isn't out of the question. Also, Johnson might be back in 2020-21 if NBA people tell him he isn't yet ready to be drafted and make money. We just really don't know anything more than that he said he wants to go pro after year two. Wanting and being able to from a practical standpoint are two different things entirely.

In any event, I am always suspicious of guys like Quinerly who have a history of flakey decision making (i.e, Arizona 1st choice out of HS, then Nova on the rebound due to AZ scandal, then dissatisfied by sitting at NOVA and looking to transfer). Given his bench time at Nova he might have been way over-rated as a 5-star out of HS. Overall, he looks like an immature prima donna who could prove more trouble than he is worth.

So, as I said before, I will not be concerned if he commits elsewhere.
You can’t hold it against him for not wanting to get caught up in the Sean Miller Az mess .

As far as Nova , sometimes realizing your in the wrong situation and having the guts to leave isn't the easiest thing to do , but it’s the right thing to do .

Of course. If we get Quinerly, we won't get a top rate PG in the 2020 class but we won't need one. It's better to wrap up next years PG today rather than hope we can get a recruit next year.

There are a lot of players in the NBA who dont play defense and are Guards

No, there aren't.

Even if there were, there definitely aren't a lot of them who are barely 6 feet tall and only have decent athleticism. Quinerly isn't Trae Young - he's not a dynamic offensive talent and he'll be at least 22 when he's drafted.

Quinerly can't grasp Jay Wright's defensive concepts. That isn't going to get any easier for him at the next level. Maybe he can play in Europe, but unless he completely transforms both his game and attitude, he will never sniff an NBA roster.

there were at least 15 guards in the nba this year that posted at least +/- of at least -4 in defensive efficiency this past season

there were at least 15 guards in the nba this year that posted at least +/- of at least -4 in defensive efficiency this past season

Playing defense poorly is a far cry from not playing defense.

Quinerly doesn't put in the effort because he lacks the intelligence to diagnose and react. He doesn't understand a defensive system that, while complicated by collegiate standards, is demonstrably less complicated than that of any NBA team. Those kinds of players do not make the NBA.

Playing defense poorly is a far cry from not playing defense.

Quinerly doesn't put in the effort because he lacks the intelligence to diagnose and react. He doesn't understand a defensive system that, while complicated by collegiate standards, is demonstrably less complicated than that of any NBA team. Those kinds of players do not make the NBA.

He would have to be elite offensively to play in the NBA. If he becomes elite offensively, he will play in the NBA. Period.

He would have to be elite offensively to play in the NBA. If he becomes elite offensively, he will play in the NBA. Period.

Jimmer Fredette could score with the best of them. But he was amazingly underwhelming on the defensive end. As a result, he's only played in 12 NBA games in the last 4 years.

I know he didn't adjust to Wright's system but after watching his highlights the boys has game so if we get him I think he will pick right up where X left off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT