ADVERTISEMENT

Jahvon Quinerly update

I know he didn't adjust to Wright's system but after watching his highlights the boys has game so if we get him I think he will pick right up where X left off.

That's not a system issue. The boy is just lost. There's nothing upstairs.

That's not a system issue. The boy is just lost. There's nothing upstairs.
Serious question: given what we know about what Capel looks for and asks for in his guards, do you think he would be recruiting Quinerly as hard as he is if he didn’t think that he could do what Capel asks for defensively?

Reactions: Tonyt66
Serious question: given what we know about what Capel looks for and asks for in his guards, do you think he would be recruiting Quinerly as hard as he is if he didn’t think that he could do what Capel asks for defensively?
I think Capel talks to recruits honestly and doesn't b.s. them and tells them what he expects and what his demands are to see playing time.

I don't think he'd be recruiting Quinerly as hard as he is if we hadn't missed on a lot of other guys. Surely he knows that Quinerly is a highly flawed player, but also thinks that he's better than anything else that's out there right now. If Capel has a high opinion of Quinerly, then it's probably because of his offensive skill. He sees a guy who can step in for X if he enters the draft and run the offense in a similar manner. I don't think he expects Quinerly to ever be good defensively, but he probably thinks he can make him better than useless.

Aside from the fact that he couldn't seem to grasp the jump stop, he has shown flashes of high-ish end offensive potential. He uses his body well to get leverage on defenders, he's very quick when he's attacking the basket and he finishes well for a little guy. The thing is, it's like you're watching a different player on defense. He moves sluggishly and looks like a poor athlete. He just doesn't understand anything. It's so obvious where all of his problems are and coaching is only going to mitigate that to a certain extent. He may still be worth having on the balance of things, though.

Reactions: BFo8
I think Capel talks to recruits honestly and doesn't b.s. them and tells them what he expects and what his demands are to see playing time.

Don't take this the wrong way, as your point is 100% accurate and I like how Capel is honest and up front with who he's recruiting, but I bet some recruits want to hear some bullsh*t and I'll get you to the NBA, etc. Maybe his recruiting approach/tactics have definitely changed from Duke to Pitt, I mean, how could they not really.

Reactions: Drew1208
Don't take this the wrong way, as your point is 100% accurate and I like how Capel is honest and up front with who he's recruiting, but I bet some recruits want to hear some bullsh*t and I'll get you to the NBA, etc. Maybe his recruiting approach/tactics have definitely changed from Duke to Pitt, I mean, how could they not really.
There’s absolutely zero chance his pitch is different at pitt than duke.

You be your authentic self or you have no chance of selling anyone successfully

Last edited:
"Son, if you come to Duke we're gonna win Conference Championships and play for the national title, if you don't come to Duke.....we're gonna win Conference Championships and play for the national title."

"Son, if you come to Pitt we're gonna win Conference Championships and play for the national title, if you don't come to Pitt.....we're gonna win Conference Championships and play for the national title."

Just doesn't seem to have the same ring to it.;)

I totally think your response to my response is correct.
Capel also always talks about recruiting the "right"
Way.

Reactions: Elsalvador
There’s absolutely zero chance his pitch is different at pitt than duke.

You be your authentic self or you have nothing chance of selling anyone

Just like @Drew1208 and I agree, and yourself, Capel is his authentic self and won't change since coming to Pitt last year. But I don't believe the pitches are exactly the same between Duke and Pitt. Drastic different situations. The goals are the same, but "how" and who he recruits are quite different.

Reactions: Drew1208
Just like @Drew1208 and I agree, and yourself, Capel is his authentic self and won't change since coming to Pitt last year. But I don't believe the pitches are exactly the same between Duke and Pitt. Drastic different situations. The goals are the same, but "how" and who he recruits are quite different.
what’s different is the product and the closer - all time great coach- with extensive nba contacts via USA basketball.

Every kid getting recruited heavily from D1 programs has professional aspirations . JC pitch probably has we’ll make you the best player you can be while playing with and against some of the best college players in the country . Plus you’ll get a fine education etc ....

Reactions: Elsalvador
Missing on Quinerly is fine on the surface. He’s got talent, but I think it’s 50/50 whether he even sniffs his potential.

If you step back, that’s where I’m seeing a troubling trend. Quinerly is the 3rd or 4th kid in 2019 who seemed to be “ours” but ended up elsewhere. Walker, Wahab, and Diallo all seemed as if they were trending towards a Pitt commitment but we couldn’t close the deal. Capel’s really got to dig in and find a message that closes with these kids because right now something just isn’t connecting

Missing on Quinerly is fine on the surface. He’s got talent, but I think it’s 50/50 whether he even sniffs his potential.

If you step back, that’s where I’m seeing a troubling trend. Quinerly is the 3rd or 4th kid in 2019 who seemed to be “ours” but ended up elsewhere. Walker, Wahab, and Diallo all seemed as if they were trending towards a Pitt commitment but we couldn’t close the deal. Capel’s really got to dig in and find a message that closes with these kids because right now something just isn’t connecting
Walker ... I don't disagree with this. I wanted Wahab, and there was some traction, but he went with the hometown school, and coach who was a legendary center. I saw that coming when they could get him to official visit.
But, do agree, there are too many this cycle where they seemed in a good spot and it just didn't pan out.

None of those kids were ever considered ours except in some our heads.

None of those kids were ever considered ours except in some our heads.

Most, if not all, had recruiting pundits predicting them here at one point in their recruitment.

Walker ... I don't disagree with this. I wanted Wahab, and there was some traction, but he went with the hometown school, and coach who was a legendary center. I saw that coming when they could get him to official visit.
But, do agree, there are too many this cycle where they seemed in a good spot and it just didn't pan out.

They lost Walker the minute they didn’t push for and/or secure a verbal on his OV. I had a retired coach tell me that, when he let a kid walk away from an OV without a commitment, he and his staff didn’t do their job.

I agree that, with Wahab, the Ewing factor was too strong once he started to get serious with his recruitment. This is another one Capel needed to lock up early before the wolves circled.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
Most, if not all, had recruiting pundits predicting them here at one point in their recruitment.

They lost Walker the minute they didn’t push for and/or secure a verbal on his OV. I had a retired coach tell me that, when he let a kid walk away from an OV without a commitment, he and his staff didn’t do their job.

I agree that, with Wahab, the Ewing factor was too strong once he started to get serious with his recruitment. This is another one Capel needed to lock up early before the wolves circled.
Maybe the kid asked for something Pitt wasn’t offering !

Reactions: Pittnerski
You are wrong. SMF has had stupider posts. Many in fact.

I'm skeptical that even he has ever uttered 10 words more devoid of truth or accuracy than, "Capel isn't going to beat Nate Oats for a recruit."

He may very well have made posts that, given their lack of brevity, were cumulatively more idiotic, but he's getting the most bang for his buck with this Nate Oats shit.

I'm skeptical that even he has ever uttered 10 words more devoid of truth or accuracy than, "Capel isn't going to beat Nate Oats for a recruit."

He may very well have made posts that, given their lack of brevity, were cumulatively more idiotic, but he's getting the most bang for his buck with this Nate Oats shit.
Earlier in the week he said teams will never beat SEC schools for recruits.

Hands down, the stupidest thing you've ever posted. Nate Oats' mom doesn't love him as much as you do.

Nate Oats is a Monster. I'm telling you. Top 3 NCAAT seed within 4 years. He has that big personality like Calipari and kids love that. So what that Capel played PG for Duke while Oats played D3 and was coaching HS ball 6 years ago. He's super cool and that's all that matters to recruits.

Nate Oats is a Monster. I'm telling you. Top 3 NCAAT seed within 4 years. He has that big personality like Calipari and kids love that. So what that Capel played PG for Duke while Oats played D3 and was coaching HS ball 6 years ago. He's super cool and that's all that matters to recruits.

How can you love the guy to the extent that you do without knowing a thing about him? Nate Oats doesn't have a big personality like Calipari (or Capel, for that matter). He's arrogant and bursting at the seams with nervous energy. He looks like a creepy, grown up version of Dewey from Malcolm in the Middle.

He's been successful because he's a good coach in terms of x's and o's. That's why Bobby Hurley hired him. His personality is why he spent 11 years coaching high school basketball.

You act like you're going out on this huge limb in saying that he'll have a top 3 seed within 4 years but that isn't really saying much. Mark Gottfried accomplished that at Alabama. Avery Johnson got them into the second round of the tourney a year ago. Alabama is a good fit for Oats because they can compensate for his personality by throwing money at recruits. He isn't cool, his personality sucks, but none of that matters because it's the $£¢, right?

Who's Nate Oats? o_O Is that the instant oatmeal sold by some company called Nate? A competitor of Quaker Oats? Is Nate a Quaker?

Capel isn't going to beat Nate Oats for a recruit. It was over as soon as he considered SEC schools.

Maybe, but Bama basketball isn't Bama football, and it's still asking an NYC area kid to go to Tusca-butthole-oosa. Kiffin's Krimson Korner fans pleased.

I know it’s every boys dream to play bb at Alabama !

Now we can read a bunch of posts how he wasn’t any good .

I know the Alabama boosters paid off Saban ‘s 6 million dollar mortgage for him , cause you know he couldn’t afford the payments ! I guess they had a little cash leftover .

It’s really getting hard to be a college bb sports fan .

I am so sick and tired of losing guys to the SEC! Capel, it's time to start paying players, because nobody wants to come here! Can't any big man see the abomination we have underneath? Can't anybody see that we need a backup PG? If Capel has to fill the roster with bodies, we're not going to get any better! Do you think Quinerly is going to get any playing time next year if he gets his grant approved? Much less at Pitt! If we don't get one of John or Bilau, we're screwed underneath because Toney will be at the four again and we're stuck with Terrell "Stonehands" Brown with nobody else. Everyone in the ACC will look at us as a bottom-feeder unless we start paying players. Everyone else does it an nobody else got caught or sanctioned, so why can't Capel do it?

If you read the 247 sports article you would know that when he went to Alabama that was his choice when he left there he came here for his visit because he committed to it out of respect for Capel

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT