ADVERTISEMENT

James Wiseman

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
dropped his lawsuit and is now ineligible to play, although he is now appealing to the NCAA to reinstate him.

Makes me wonder if the NCAA basically let Memphis and Wiseman know that if they persisted in playing someone the NCAA has declared ineligible that the NCAA was going to put the hammer down on Memphis and Penny.

dropped his lawsuit and is now ineligible to play, although he is now appealing to the NCAA to reinstate him.

Makes me wonder if the NCAA basically let Memphis and Wiseman know that if they persisted in playing someone the NCAA has declared ineligible that the NCAA was going to put the hammer down on Memphis and Penny.

I would play him anyway and then vacate the wins. Cant believe Memphis caved like this.

The NCAA is a joke. Nothing would have happened or simply a slap on the wrist if this occurred at a traditional blue blood school.

I would play him anyway and then vacate the wins. Cant believe Memphis caved like this.

They aren’t caving. They’re settling. Wiseman is going to be suspended a few games then he’ll be back instead of this going to court and him being suspended for the whole year and being a mess for everyone involved.

Reactions: CapelsCranberryz

For what exactly? Paying a kid to move to his high school while he was a high school and aau coach? He wasn’t an NCAA coach at the time.

Yeah I don’t get it. Penny as his AAU coach didn’t commit a violation. But as said above I agree it will be a few games and he will be back on the court.

For what exactly? Paying a kid to move to his high school while he was a high school and aau coach? He wasn’t an NCAA coach at the time.
Connect the dots. Wasn't Penny recruiting kids before becoming the coach?? Hell, let the coach resign after the season, give him thousands from a booster. Line up an all-star group that signs on, sign a new HC contract the day after the class is in school.
Feel free to pass this along to Heather Lyke.

Reactions: FireballZ
Connect the dots. Wasn't Penny recruiting kids before becoming the coach?? Hell, let the coach resign after the season, give him thousands from a booster. Line up an all-star group that signs on, sign a new HC contract the day after the class is in school.
Feel free to pass this along to Heather Lyke.

a) the NCAA is a complete joke.

b) I get your point. no, he really wasn't the coach at the time, but everyone and their mother knew he would be.

It would have been interesting to see play out. I wonder if the NCAA would cancel games live instead of allowing them to go on. Would other coaches play a team that was ignoring an NCAA demand? Who knows, I was hoping for needed chaos.

b) I get your point. no, he really wasn't the coach at the time, but everyone and their mother knew he would be.
Plus, the school has the added bonus of NOT offering a new contract if the recruiting class is Stallings quality. and that should release the kids from the LOI???
Good lord, I'm thinking like a politician's lawyer!!

Exactly. Who cares if he was recruiting for Memphis before he was officially the coach? Coaches do this literally all the time. When you’re not employed by an NCAA institution you don’t have to abide by their rules.

He helped her move to Memphis before 11th grade. Not before his freshmen year of college. I’d highly doubt they’re paying kids at Memphis they can’t be that stupid. They’re getting kids for the precise reason we think Capel will get kids to Pitt. Get them to the NBA and they have a cool staff with young guys who played. Pretty simple.

in Huggins gap year he was at almost every JOTs practice knowing he was gonna get a job and hoping he could land some of Pryor’s, Blair’s Kennedy’s of the world.

Exactly. Who cares if he was recruiting for Memphis before he was officially the coach? Coaches do this literally all the time. When you’re not employed by an NCAA institution you don’t have to abide by their rules.

He helped her move to Memphis before 11th grade. Not before his freshmen year of college. I’d highly doubt they’re paying kids at Memphis they can’t be that stupid. They’re getting kids for the precise reason we think Capel will get kids to Pitt. Get them to the NBA and they have a cool staff with young guys who played. Pretty simple.
Memphis paid kids before....they'll pay now. How many slabs of ribs can you buy with all that Fedex pay?

Missouri has the Walton’s donate money to struggling HS programs. These programs also usually hold a good player or two ;). As long as you don’t direct the player to go there everything is kosher with the NCAA.

We need PG trucking to start donating to some big time programs who need a financial boost.

Yeah I don’t get it. Penny as his AAU coach didn’t commit a violation. But as said above I agree it will be a few games and he will be back on the court.
Yes, he did. Penny was a booster for Memphis and donated lots of money. It's a major violation.

Reactions: TreesHero

That is simply factually incorrect. Penny Hardaway had donated more than a million dollars to Memphis. He was, by any sane definition of the word, a Memphis basketball booster. And boosters have to follow the NCAA rules, unless they want to get their school in trouble.

If non-NCAA institution employees didn't have to abide by their rules then boosters could give recruits sacks of cash to go to their school. Pitt, and I would guess most if not all schools, regularly sends out things to boosters that tell them what they are and are not allowed to do.

Reactions: BFo8 and TreesHero
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT