ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State NCAA Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

Fresh off the excitement and elation of that badly needed NCAA tourney win that we have all been starving for for so long, it's hard to imagine there are some posters who used to say they got more gratification from the team's regular season achievements more than what happens in a one and done postseason tournament.

Sorry--couldn't help myself. :cool:
On this fun day, I'll accept your gentle barb in good spirit.

Nonetheless, allow me to clarify my personal position which was never that I got any more or less gratification from regular season accomplishments as compared to a one and done postseason tournament.

Instead, I have always maintained that what happens in a one and done tournament does not in any way remove, or even diminish, the gratification that is received from regular season achievements. ;)

Yet it's not just the overwhelming majority of fans and media, but also what every player and coach in the country measure their program's season by.

Like it or not, right or wrong, that's the way it has always been, and always will be.
And I find that silly across every single sport. Not every team has a chance to win a championship. But your team can have an awesome and fun regular season and not achieve post season goals, but that doesn’t suddenly make the fun you had during the regular season as a fan irrelevant.

If you disagree, then I’d ask why you even bother watching regular season games if they don’t matter.

And I find that silly across every single sport. Not every team has a chance to win a championship. But your team can have an awesome and fun regular season and not achieve post season goals, but that doesn’t suddenly make the fun you had during the regular season as a fan irrelevant.

If you disagree, then I’d ask why you even bother watching regular season games if they don’t matter.
Exactly. If it is "Championship or bust".....80-90% of all fans shouldn't care because realistically in any league there are only 10-20% that really have a chance to win it all.

I think the NCAA tournament is unique in major sports as far as its significance to the sport as a whole. The regular season games are all important to get you to the NCAA tournament, and seeded as favorably as possible. Some teams schedule very difficult OOC games early jus to start getting their teams Every team’s focus on March starts in November.

I think the NCAA tournament is unique in major sports as far as its significance to the sport as a whole. The regular season games are all important to get you to the NCAA tournament, and seeded as favorably as possible. Some teams schedule very difficult OOC games early jus to start getting their teams Every team’s focus on March starts in November.
We'll agree to disagree. The 08-09 season is the second most fun experience I've had as a sports fan. More than any of the super bowl or stanley cup seasons. Right behind the Pirates' 98 win season.

Hanging your hat solely on what happens in March in terms of your experience as a fan is silly.

So again - why bother watching the regular season if it doesn't matter? The only reason the NCAA Tournament is unique is because outside of diehard college basketball fans, it's the only time casual sports fans bother watching the sport.

We'll agree to disagree. The 08-09 season is the second most fun experience I've had as a sports fan. More than any of the super bowl or stanley cup seasons. Right behind the Pirates' 98 win season.

Hanging your hat solely on what happens in March in terms of your experience as a fan is silly.

So again - why bother watching the regular season if it doesn't matter? The only reason the NCAA Tournament is unique is because outside of diehard college basketball fans, it's the only time casual sports fans bother watching the sport.

The 08-09 team went further in tourney. Coincidence?

Regular season matters. I certainly enjoy the regular season. But fair or not, tourney performance will always play a part in how we look back on the season. The 2015 Kentucky Wildcats aren't remembered for winning their first 38 games. They are remembered for the choke job against Wisconsin.

Regular season matters. I certainly enjoy the regular season. But fair or not, tourney performance will always play a part in how we look back on the season. The 2015 Kentucky Wildcats aren't remembered for winning their first 38 games. They are remembered for the choke job against Wisconsin.
Nope. Seeing Pitt ascend to #1 after beating UCONN on Senior Night was the highlight of the year. That wouldn't have changed based on beating Xavier or not.

Reactions: rrig5
Things that give me hope for this team:
- Offensively looked pretty bad but we were playing a top 10 defensive team
- Playing without Fede against a team that focused on inside game and offensive rebounding
- Fede really moves the offense as well coming up top and having the pick and roll option
- Burton out for most of the game with foul trouble.
- Hinson very few shot attempts
- Diaz getting manhandled on the offensive side

All this and we still pulled one out of our collective A****.

Have to assume Burton will be on the floor more next game. We just played two games in Greensboro in the afternoon last week so that is an advantage. If Fede is able to play some minutes we have a solid chance.

Iowa St is 19-13 (9-9). They are not some powerhouse.
Yea I’m with you on everything you said. I like that we are playing in the same venue we played in during the day last week 2 times. I think that helps Pitt. And as you mentioned I expect Burton to be a bigger factor and play more minutes and if Fede plays that makes Pitt that much better. I like our chances in this game I feel very good about it. Our draw as an 11 seed for both this round and potentially next round is a lot better then some teams seeded on the 7,8, or 9 line such as WVU and Penn State.

Had someone told me that Fede would not play at all and that Burton would sit the bench more than half the game, I would have doubted that Pitt had a chance.

But these guys just never fail to amaze.! The end of the game was exciting. Blake lets it fly from way beyond the 3 point line, and I thought, "Holy crap, Batman." Then swish, nothing but net. Of course, I realized, that's just Blake. Relax. That's what he does.

Then, JB has the ball. That's what I want in a crucial situation -- the ball in Burton's hands. Pitt is really going to miss this guy. What a leader! naturally he scores. Ice water in that man's veins.

Still too much time left. Really wish Fede was in the game now. OH no --Smith has the ball and he's putting it up. G Diaz with the block. Oh yes.

and then -- open Bulldog in the corner. Puts up a game-winning 3, but it hits the rim. MS ST going for the put back. Shades of NC State vs. Phi Slamma Jamma. Put back no good but they get the bound again. Man going up for the jam, on come the backboard lights.

Whew. We had em all the way. I really like this team.

Blake's shot was from the first "s" in "Madness" on the center court logo. By my estimation, nearly a 35-footer.

To the casual fan (which I don’t actually think exists for college basketball) all college basketball games are ugly to watch. Not sure really what try hard point you’re trying to make here.

It’s hard to imagine there are also fans who can invalidate an entire season of fun and winning college basketball based on the outcome of one tournament game.
The feeling in a regular season game when you're safely in the field versus being in a one and done game is totally different and cannot be denied. A game against Marquette during the season is one thing. One and done is at a totally different level.

The feeling in a regular season game when you're safely in the field versus being in a one and done game is totally different and cannot be denied. A game against Marquette during the season is one thing. One and done is at a totally different level.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing. Just stating that the outcome of a one-and-done tournament isn't the sole metric I use to determine if it was a fun season or not.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing. Just stating that the outcome of a one-and-done tournament isn't the sole metric I use to determine if it was a fun season or not.
I think losing to teams seeded at or below your seed line in the NCAAs is very deflating and can cast a pall over an otherwise fun regular season. Just my opinion, but one that probably is shared by a large majority of CBB fans or casual observers.

Ski I don't understand this hair you're trying to split with me. Seems you're just arguing with me for arguments sake which wouldn't be the first time. I'm not arguing you have to win a NC for the season and tournament to be considered a success. I never said that, or even implied it, and I certainly don't believe that to be remotely true myself. You're inserting that fiction into this discussion to give yourself some false high ground.

The 08-09 team is a great example of what I'm talking about--great regular season, MADE THE ELITE 8, and came a hair from the FF. Now that's a great season. The best in school history since the NCAA tournament if I'm not mistaken. Great regular season and deep tournament run. We all loved it. We were all more than a little disappointed that we came so close to the FF and didn't get there, but there was literally no one who considered that season anything other than an unmitigated success. On the other hand, the 2010-11 team went 28-6, won the BE regular season and earned a #1 seed, but lost to Butler in the second round. That's a season that was defined for most by tournament failure rather than regular season success.

To me, and I would suspect to the majority of fans, the definition of tournament success is commensurate with the expectations created by regular season performance and seeding in the field. For example, if this year's team loses Friday, it's still a successful season as a bubble team that played in. When the 2010-11 team earned a #1 seed and got bounced out by Butler in the second round, that's a failure that really diminished the regular season success.

You may not see it that way, which is fine. But most of the rest of the world, including the players and coaches, does. Don't pretend for a second that you don't know that to be true.

IMO, that Lair storyline of regular season success being more important and impressive than postseason success was nothing more than an attempt to rationalize Dixon's maddening inability to get it done in March. I personally always took the position that he took those teams about as far as they could go based on their personnel limitations and using style of play, but in the NCAA tournament those limitations were exposed. The 08-09 team is the one team he had that I thought had the players to go all the way, and it almost did.

Which is to say they are hardly remembered at all--because of that choke job in March.

Things that give me hope for this team:
- Offensively looked pretty bad but we were playing a top 10 defensive team
- Playing without Fede against a team that focused on inside game and offensive rebounding
- Fede really moves the offense as well coming up top and having the pick and roll option
- Burton out for most of the game with foul trouble.
- Hinson very few shot attempts
- Diaz getting manhandled on the offensive side

All this and we still pulled one out of our collective A****.

Have to assume Burton will be on the floor more next game. We just played two games in Greensboro in the afternoon last week so that is an advantage. If Fede is able to play some minutes we have a solid chance.

Iowa St is 19-13 (9-9). They are not some powerhouse.
Not a powerhouse but an older team. We'll have to play better (we can) to win this one.

I mentioned earlier that Blake has done that all year long. He has a knack for hitting that 3 late in the game and I honestly had no doubt that shot was going down. That was indeed one of the most intense games I have ever watched. It sure felt good after these six or so years.
I’ve been saying the same thing too, during games as well. He’ll be silent for stretches but make up for it late. Our old pal Craig put some numbers to it:

This team showed tremendous character yesterday. Fede out with an injury, our best player Burton played less than half the game because of foul trouble, and they still found a way to win. Such a good feeling about Pitt hoops this year, so glad for the players, and so happy for Capel and the other coaches!

** My heart is still racing. I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. Most of my muscles still feel tight. And it feels so incredibly great!

** That was without a doubt one of the absolute best college basketball games I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime. I’ve been watching for over 42 years. That's easily over 4,200 college hoops games. Maybe many more than that.

** But at a minimum that’s among the best dozen or so Pitt games I’ve ever watched.

** A few days ago, someone asked when was the last time the Panthers hit a last second winning shot to win an NCAA game. I had to go all the way back to Dwayne Wallace’s shot to beat Idaho in 1981.

** I believe this poster’s take was this might be the year we see it again. I’ll have go back and dig up the thread, because that’s one wise poster!

** But was there any doubt Jamarius was going to take that winning shot? There shouldn’t have been. It’s what he does. It’s what he’s done most of this year. It’s why the Panthers journey in this year’s NCAA tournament moves past the First Four to the next 64.

** But let’s get to that “other shot." You know the one. That freakishly stone coldish ridiculously balsy deep three by Blake. Who among you didn’t think for a moment when he let that go that something was amiss? Maybe Blake thought there were just 5 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 15?

** And as the Blake’s fling traversed its way to the rim, who else thought like I did that it might just barely graze the front rim?

** But that’s not what happened. Instead it flew through. At the DT_PITT household, there erupted a blast of elation mixed with amazement among it’s trio of occupants. It hasn’t been that loud in our residence for some time. Just an extraordinary moment.

** But a moment that came close was the haze of the last 2.7 seconds and the realization that this one was over. Lots of screaming then too. It’s a good thing it’s cold outside and the windows were closed. Otherwise there might have been plenty of waking the neighbors tonight.

** This entire game seemed like it was just incredible moment after incredible moment. Important play after important play. And our Panthers who were never perfect, also never flinched. And one flinch might have been the difference between heading to Greensboro or heading back to Pittsburgh.

** I’ve mentioned the big shots of JB and Blake, so now it’s time to move to the big game from Nelly. If my math is correct, he’s averaging 17.5 PPG in his two NCAA contests while being his team’s leading scorer in both.

** I’ve already fessed up many times expressing how much I underestimated Nelly early on in the season. For now I’ll just say great game young man!!

** And a shout out to Nike and Greg too, because their contributions were invaluable.

** But allow me to get to my game ball. Mr. Guillermio Diaz Graham it’s yours. You earned it. You used all 200 pounds of your frail physique to battle and claw against a superior foe. But somehow you did just enough to not allow the Bulldogs best player bully his to way to bettering your Panthers. You gave it your all, and for the Panthers this night, it was enough. Right down to your block with 2.8 seconds to go.

** 600 words or so later, my heart rate has now slowed closer to normal, but my feeling joy has only percolated even more.

** We got to experience a game today that Pitt fans will talk about more for many years to come. It’s all been a part of a season that has provided so much excitement and satisfaction.

** And it’s not even over! Who already can’t wait until Friday? I just can’t wait to see what the Panthers might be able to provide for an encore.

** But for tonight, I will leave with my greatest possible offer of congratulations to our coaching staff, our players, and the entire Pitt program for a great game, a great night and our first NCAA Tournament win in nine years.

** Hail to Pitt!
Great effort by our Panthers. Greg’s little floater was another big shot right before Blake’s 3. And that one out him over 1000 for his career.

Reactions: Drew1208
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT