ADVERTISEMENT

Mississippi State NCAA Tournament Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** My heart is still racing. I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. Most of my muscles still feel tight. And it feels so incredibly great!

** That was without a doubt one of the absolute best college basketball games I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime. I’ve been watching for over 42 years. That's easily over 4,200 college hoops games. Maybe many more than that.

** But at a minimum that’s among the best dozen or so Pitt games I’ve ever watched.

** A few days ago, someone asked when was the last time the Panthers hit a last second winning shot to win an NCAA game. I had to go all the way back to Dwayne Wallace’s shot to beat Idaho in 1981.

** I believe this poster’s take was this might be the year we see it again. I’ll have go back and dig up the thread, because that’s one wise poster!

** But was there any doubt Jamarius was going to take that winning shot? There shouldn’t have been. It’s what he does. It’s what he’s done most of this year. It’s why the Panthers journey in this year’s NCAA tournament moves past the First Four to the next 64.

** But let’s get to that “other shot." You know the one. That freakishly stone coldish ridiculously balsy deep three by Blake. Who among you didn’t think for a moment when he let that go that something was amiss? Maybe Blake thought there were just 5 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 15?

** And as the Blake’s fling traversed its way to the rim, who else thought like I did that it might just barely graze the front rim?

** But that’s not what happened. Instead it flew through. At the DT_PITT household, there erupted a blast of elation mixed with amazement among it’s trio of occupants. It hasn’t been that loud in our residence for some time. Just an extraordinary moment.

** But a moment that came close was the haze of the last 2.7 seconds and the realization that this one was over. Lots of screaming then too. It’s a good thing it’s cold outside and the windows were closed. Otherwise there might have been plenty of waking the neighbors tonight.

** This entire game seemed like it was just incredible moment after incredible moment. Important play after important play. And our Panthers who were never perfect, also never flinched. And one flinch might have been the difference between heading to Greensboro or heading back to Pittsburgh.

** I’ve mentioned the big shots of JB and Blake, so now it’s time to move to the big game from Nelly. If my math is correct, he’s averaging 17.5 PPG in his two NCAA contests while being his team’s leading scorer in both.

** I’ve already fessed up many times expressing how much I underestimated Nelly early on in the season. For now I’ll just say great game young man!!

** And a shout out to Nike and Greg too, because their contributions were invaluable.

** But allow me to get to my game ball. Mr. Guillermio Diaz Graham it’s yours. You earned it. You used all 200 pounds of your frail physique to battle and claw against a superior foe. But somehow you did just enough to not allow the Bulldogs best player bully his to way to bettering your Panthers. You gave it your all, and for the Panthers this night, it was enough. Right down to your block with 2.8 seconds to go.

** 600 words or so later, my heart rate has now slowed closer to normal, but my feeling joy has only percolated even more.

** We got to experience a game today that Pitt fans will talk about more for many years to come. It’s all been a part of a season that has provided so much excitement and satisfaction.

** And it’s not even over! Who already can’t wait until Friday? I just can’t wait to see what the Panthers might be able to provide for an encore.

** But for tonight, I will leave with my greatest possible offer of congratulations to our coaching staff, our players, and the entire Pitt program for a great game, a great night and our first NCAA Tournament win in nine years.

** Hail to Pitt!

** My heart is still racing. I’m exhausted and overwhelmed. Most of my muscles still feel tight. And it feels so incredibly great!

** That was without a doubt one of the absolute best college basketball games I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime. I’ve been watching for over 42 years. That's easily over 4,200 college hoops games. Maybe many more than that.

** But at a minimum that’s among the best dozen or so Pitt games I’ve ever watched.

** A few days ago, someone asked when was the last time the Panthers hit a last second winning shot to win an NCAA game. I had to go all the way back to Dwayne Wallace’s shot to beat Idaho in 1981.

** I believe this poster’s take was this might be the year we see it again. I’ll have go back and dig up the thread, because that’s one wise poster!

** But was there any doubt Jamarius was going to take that winning shot? There shouldn’t have been. It’s what he does. It’s what he’s done most of this year. It’s why the Panthers journey in this year’s NCAA tournament moves past the First Four to the next 64.

** But let’s get to that “other shot." You know the one. That freakishly stone coldish ridiculously balsy deep three by Blake. Who among you didn’t think for a moment when he let that go that something was amiss? Maybe Blake though there were just 5 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 15?

** And as the Blake’s fling traversed its way to the rim, who else thought like I did that it might just barely craze the front rim?

** But that’s not what happened. Instead it flew through. At the DT_PITT household, there erupted a blast of elation mixed with amazement among it’s trio of occupants. It hasn’t been that loud in our residence for some time. Just an extraordinary moment.

** But a moment that came close was the haze of the last 2.7 seconds and the realization that this one was over. Lots of screaming then too. It’s a good thing it’s cold outside and the windows were closed. Otherwise there might have been plenty of waking the neighbors tonight.

** This entire game seemed like it was just incredible moment after incredible moment. Important play after important play. And our Panthers who were never perfect, also never flinched. And one flinch might have been the difference between heading to Greensboro or heading back to Pittsburgh.

** I’ve mentioned the big shots of JB and Blake, so now it’s time to move to the big game from Nelly. If my math is correct, he’s averaging 17.5 PPG in his two NCAA contests while being his team’s leading scorer in both.

** I’ve already fessed up many times expressing how much I underestimated Nelly early on in the season. For now I’ll just say great game young man!!

** And a shout out to Nike and Greg too, because their contributions were invaluable.

** But allow me to get to my game ball. Mr. Guillermio Diaz Graham it’s yours. You earned it. You used all 200 pounds of your frail physique to battle and claw against a superior foe. But somehow you did just enough to not allow the Bulldogs best player bully his to way to bettering your Panthers. You gave it your all, and for the Panthers this night, it was enough. Right down to your block with 2.8 seconds to go.

** 600 words or so later, my heart rate has now slowed closer to normal, but my feeling joy has only percolated even more.

** We got to experience a game today that Pitt fans will talk about more for many years to come. It’s all been a part of a season that has provided so much excitement and satisfaction.

** And it’s not even over! Who already can’t wait until Friday? I just can’t wait to see what the Panthers might be able to provide for an encore.

** But for tonight, I will leave with my greatest possible offer of congratulations to our coaching staff, our players, and the entire Pitt program for a great game, a great night and our first NCAA Tournament win in nine years.

** Hail to Pitt!
Congratulations to you, and all of us really, who still cared about Pitt basketball even in the very bleak years leading up to this one. H2P!

** But let’s get to that “other shot." You know the one. That freakishly stone coldish ridiculously balsy deep three by Blake. Who among you didn’t think for a moment when he let that go that something was amiss? Maybe Blake though there were just 5 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 15?

** And as the Blake’s fling traversed its way to the rim, who else thought like I did that it might just barely craze the front rim?

** We got to experience a game today that Pitt fans will talk about more for many years to come. It’s all been a part of a season that has provided so much joy.

** But for tonight, we will leave with my greatest possible offer of congratulations to our coaching staff, our players, and the entire Pitt program for a great game, a great night and our first NCAA Tournament win in nine years.

** Hail to Pitt!
That was fun! Been WAY too long to have to have to wait for it. But fun nonetheless.

Think this group may still have some more left, too. Would certainly be great if Fede can return. But really believe this team will grind. I’m absolutely not counting them out.

Gonna enjoy watching everybody else sweat it out over the next couple of days, that’s for sure!

Reactions: rrig5 and gary2
Hinson's shot didn't look any better in person. Looked way short
Thought maybe it was too. Until it went SWISH!!!!!

Blake is bizarre. Seems the further he shoots from, the better are his chances of making it. 🤷‍♂️

So…. Are we now really in the NCAA tournament? 😉

Someone wake RJCMAN up!!!
💩birds are what they are. There are several of them on these boards as regulars.

LOL at them! They are all back under their rocks tonight.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It was one of the best in terms of being tight the entire 40 minutes, with a shit-ton of lead changes and an exciting finish decided at the buzzer. Certainly great if you are a Pitt fan. H2P!!!

To a casual fan though, I think they would probably need some restraints and Clockwork Orange eyelid clamps to make it through all 40 minutes of that game. (I've had to use those a few times on friends that went to UVA games with me and tried to sneak out 5 minutes in)

** But let’s get to that “other shot." You know the one. That freakishly stone coldish ridiculously balsy deep three by Blake. Who among you didn’t think for a moment when he let that go that something was amiss? Maybe Blake thought there were just 5 seconds left on the shot clock instead of 15?

** Hail to Pitt!
I mentioned earlier that Blake has done that all year long. He has a knack for hitting that 3 late in the game and I honestly had no doubt that shot was going down. That was indeed one of the most intense games I have ever watched. It sure felt good after these six or so years.

I mentioned earlier that Blake has done that all year long. He has a knack for hitting that 3 late in the game and I honestly had no doubt that shot was going down. That was indeed one of the most intense games I have ever watched. It sure felt good after these six or so years.

Really? One of the most intense games you ever watched?

Think that might be some recency bias?

The NCAA Tournament literally delivers a slew of games like this every year. Pitt has played in several of them over the years. That's what March Madness is all about and why it's so popular.

The NCAA Tournament literally delivers a slew of games like this every year. Pitt has played in several of them over the years. That's what March Madness is all about and why it's so popular.
No, it literally does not.

Because as the announcers commented.... the 21 lead changes were the most in an NCAA tournament game since 2018.

In addition, the game was a one-possession game for an incredible 33.5 minutes out of 40. The most in a tournament game in 15 years.

At no point did any team have a lead greater than 6 points. There was literally NO POINT in the entire 40 minutes where either team had more than a 2-possession lead.

That was only the 3rd time that has happened in the past 3 years in the entire NCAA, not just the tournament.

So no.... it isn't "recency bias" that says it was one of the most intense and hotly-contested games. The data doesn't lie.

When we were up by six and had the ball with three minutes left, I thought one more bucket would seal the victory..just didn’t think it would be a the nine second left.

What a game…spending time in Kauai and folks must have thought another volcano went off when I celebrated JB’s shot and the W!

Hail to PITT!
-al-

Reactions: HOF Coach
As always, thanks for the Dribbles! Spot on as usual.

When Blake’s three left his hand, I got up out of my chair and yelled “NOOOO!”

I was glad that I was SOOOO wrong!

Can’t believe Pitt only committed 12 fouls the entire game. They played the kind of game that Miss St wanted them too and beat them at it and did it with Burton sitting on the bench essentially half of the game and no Fede at all. The tournament always comes down to who can make big shots at key moments of the games. And Pitt simply made more going down the stretch then Miss St and that’s why they were able to escape with a win.

Reactions: rrig5

** And as the Blake’s fling traversed its way to the rim, who else thought like I did that it might just barely graze the front rim?

** Hail to Pitt!
That was without a doubt one of the absolute best college basketball games I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching in my lifetime... Heard one of the post game dudes say it has been 8 or 9 years since the last time there have been that many lead changes in an NCAA tournament game.

Reactions: rrig5 and wolf0717
Man, I was yelling at my daughter (in hoops fan fashion) when she complained about First Four and I said it is a tourney game and we get to see our team first and the whole nation of hoop lovers gets to see them without any other games. But I must admit I did not want to lose the play in game. Blake had a few “no, no, no, no, yes” shots last night but that last one was the most unbelievably casual horrible shot I have ever seen go in.

Enjoy this team.

** Hail to Pitt!
Fresh off the excitement and elation of that badly needed NCAA tourney win that we have all been starving for for so long, it's hard to imagine there are some posters who used to say they got more gratification from the team's regular season achievements more than what happens in a one and done postseason tournament.

Sorry--couldn't help myself. :cool:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It was one of the best in terms of being tight the entire 40 minutes, with a shit-ton of lead changes and an exciting finish decided at the buzzer. Certainly great if you are a Pitt fan. H2P!!!

To a casual fan though, I think they would probably need some restraints and Clockwork Orange eyelid clamps to make it through all 40 minutes of that game. (I've had to use those a few times on friends that went to UVA games with me and tried to sneak out 5 minutes in)
It wasn’t helped by the dreadfully dull announcers they used on TV. If Gus Johnson or Bill Raftery had done the game the feeling would have been entirely different.

It wasn’t helped by the dreadfully dull announcers they used on TV. If Gus Johnson or Bill Raftery had done the game the feeling would have been entirely different.
Yea Tom McCarthy is terrible. They couldn’t get anybody better to announce these games then him. At one point he called Miss St Texas AM and said “it will be Texas A&M basketball”.

Yea Tom McCarthy is terrible. They couldn’t get anybody better to announce these games then him. At one point he called Miss St Texas AM and said “it will be Texas A&M basketball”.
not terrible...presidential material.

To the casual fan (which I don’t actually think exists for college basketball) all college basketball games are ugly to watch. Not sure really what try hard point you’re trying to make here.
Fresh off the excitement and elation of that badly needed NCAA tourney win that we have all been starving for for so long, it's hard to imagine there are some posters who used to say they got more gratification from the team's regular season achievements more than what happens in a one and done postseason tournament.

Sorry--couldn't help myself. :cool:
It’s hard to imagine there are also fans who can invalidate an entire season of fun and winning college basketball based on the outcome of one tournament game.

Reactions: Franb
Incredible team win ! Playing with a short bench , Burton in foul trouble and being totally out muscled they just wouldn’t give up .

Who wins a game while being out rebounded 49-28 !

The twins play like they think they’re 250lbs , a lot of heart in those boys !

Let’s all hope Fede can give them some minutes on Friday . If he couldn’t see limited Pt last night no way he’s ready to go full tilt on Friday.

I too wasn’t feeling very good about Nelly early , but he’s a gamer and steps up when the team is struggling . Glad he finally made it to where he always wanted to play . A couple of yrs too late , but better late than never !

This season hasn’t been for the faint of hearts , but it’s sure been exciting !

Go Panthers , keep it going on Friday.

ps ..I wouldn’t give up the JD era for a few more tournament wins . They played a lot of great basketball those years .

Last edited:
Things that give me hope for this team:
- Offensively looked pretty bad but we were playing a top 10 defensive team
- Playing without Fede against a team that focused on inside game and offensive rebounding
- Fede really moves the offense as well coming up top and having the pick and roll option
- Burton out for most of the game with foul trouble.
- Hinson very few shot attempts
- Diaz getting manhandled on the offensive side

All this and we still pulled one out of our collective A****.

Have to assume Burton will be on the floor more next game. We just played two games in Greensboro in the afternoon last week so that is an advantage. If Fede is able to play some minutes we have a solid chance.

Iowa St is 19-13 (9-9). They are not some powerhouse.

Reactions: Drew1208

OK, so I am wrong. That wasn't an intense game.

I sure am confident in Blake making shots like that from well beyond the arc when he has his 2 feet set when he receives the ball to get a good shot off. But come on, you don’t think that shot looked like it was going to be short as he let it fly and it was heading to the hoop?

Man, I was yelling at my daughter (in hoops fan fashion) when she complained about First Four and I said it is a tourney game and we get to see our team first and the whole nation of hoop lovers gets to see them without any other games. But I must admit I did not want to lose the play in game. Blake had a few “no, no, no, no, yes” shots last night but that last one was the most unbelievably casual horrible shot I have ever seen go in.

Enjoy this team.
The whole are we in the tourney argument:

I pulled up the list of seeds. We are seeded 44. There are 68 seeds.

We are deemed as having the 44th chance to win (of 68).

That sounds like in the tournament to me.

To the casual fan (which I don’t actually think exists for college basketball) all college basketball games are ugly to watch. Not sure really what try hard point you’re trying to make here.

It’s hard to imagine there are also fans who can invalidate an entire season of fun and winning college basketball based on the outcome of one tournament game.
Yet it's not just the overwhelming majority of fans and media, but also what every player and coach in the country measure their program's season by.

Like it or not, right or wrong, that's the way it has always been, and always will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT